What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Combined Rookie Draft Board - For Rookie Drafts In Dynasty Leagues (1 Viewer)

Just in the nick of time my first IDP draft begins on Friday May 20th.

I for sure miss Jene Bramel's board.

My only beef with this is how the tiers are being listed out.  Tiers should represent the players value not the round they are listed in.

Example James Cook is listed as tier 1 along with Hall and Walker and in now way is Cook in the same tier as those guys but because Cook is rated as a late round 1st this is showing him as tier 1.

That isn't how tiers work. 

My only beef with this is how the tiers are being listed out.  Tiers should represent the players value not the round they are listed in.

Example James Cook is listed as tier 1 along with Hall and Walker and in now way is Cook in the same tier as those guys but because Cook is rated as a late round 1st this is showing him as tier 1.

That isn't how tiers work. 
This was exactly my thoughts.  I viewed the list and read that in the RB tier and instantly said not worth reading more if Cook is a tier 1 prospect in this draft

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

This is a draft board, as it always has been, for rookie drafts for dynasty leagues.

We're saying Cook will be a late first round pick in rookie drafts for dynasty leagues. 

@Dezand @smbkrypt24 does that make sense to y'all?

I worry this feature wasn't clearly labeled enough as to what it is. 

It's what round we'd take players in a rookie draft for dynasty leagues. 

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

This is a draft board, as it always has been, for rookie drafts for dynasty leagues.

We're saying Cook will be a late first round pick in rookie drafts for dynasty leagues. 
Joe, that’s not how Gene seemed to present his combined draft board previously.  It seemed that players were ranked in the round that they should be valued at.

For instance, in what a lot of people are considering a week rookie draft this year, there may only be 7-10 players listed on the “Round 1” section.  Next year, maybe there are 15 players in what is considered a much deeper draft.  

Similar to how a lot of pre-draft NFL rumblings were such that so and so NFL team has first round grades on only 18 prospects.  Thus, on that team’s combined draft board only 18 players would be listed under round 1.  Not 32, just because there are 32 picks in the first round.  Make sense?  I think that’s the disconnect.  Otherwise this combined draft board is simply another set of rankings, not really how to value the prospects despite where they are being selected.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was exactly my thoughts.  I viewed the list and read that in the RB tier and instantly said not worth reading more if Cook is a tier 1 prospect in this draft
The draft board Jene used to produce looked exactly like this. Are you not familiar with Jene’s previous boards?

The draft board Jene used to produce looked exactly like this. Are you not familiar with Jene’s previous boards?
Jene didn’t used to always rank 12 players in each round though.  He ranked them according to what round prospect level they were.  That way, if he listed 5 players in the 1st round and you had pick 8, you knew that Jene felt you were looking at 2nd round level prospects at 1.08.

Thats a huge difference vs just listing 12 players in each round regardless of whether they truly fit as that caliber of prospect in that specific round.  

Hi everyone,

I'm unfortunately way behind in any player evaluations this year -- hence my passing this feature on to better hands. I think Jeff and John have done a very good job of recreating the spirit of the article and adding some great features to the individual position sections.

What I tried to do with the feature (recognizing I prefer tiers and not ordered rank lists):

• Rank players in tiers within each position group
  • Compare players across positional tiers to gauge relative value then approximate draft value
  • Display that visually in spreadsheet style format for use in all my rookie drafts
Over the years, I relied more and more on a consensus of writers and evaluators I trusted but the final draft board in this feature was my own. It's what I used to draft from every spring and summer. In some years, my board would be fairly close to ADP in the early rounds. In other years, it would deviate considerably -- and I'd tell you why. The middle rounds were rarely in line with consensus ADP but rather reflected my particular drafting philosophy.

If I didn't have 12 players in an appropriately high tier, there wouldn't be 12 players assigned to that round and the recommendation would be to trade out of the pick if possible. If I had a couple of deep tiers in a given range, I might assign more than 14 players to a given round -- reflecting the fact, for example, that WR5 value was close enough to WR9 (and LB2 and RB5 and QB2) to slot them all in that round. But it'd be rare to have 30+ players given a Rd 2+ grade, etc.

That looks like what Jeff and John did this year, too.

It was never meant to be a "consensus ADP draft board" -- it was always tailored to my own thoughts. It's also easy to customize to fit your own thoughts if you have strong feelings on a player or tier.

So...if you don't believe James Cook has late round value, you can slot him elsewhere. I do agree, however, that I wouldn't give Cook a Tier 1 recommendation but list him so far past the other Tier 1 options. And if you don't agree that the third tier of wide receivers should be drafted in X round, you can move that group up or down in line with your personal preference.

I suspect more of you than usual will want to modify this board this year because of the lack of consensus in the NFL, on our staff, and across the industry.

If that's not where Jeff and John are taking this feature -- and it's to be tailored to FBG staff consensus moving forward -- it'll likely look more like our staff rankings and skew closely toward 12 players per round.

I'm seeing more of the disconnect.

I missed that many of the IDP groups had tiers starting in the 4-6 range.

My general drafting philosophy is to tier players by position then compare. In talking to Jeff, it appears he prefers to tier players by value. That is he sees 7 players at two positions as having top-tier value -- those are his Tier 1 guys. Then he sees another five players at different positions with similar value -- his Tier 2 guys.

I didn't notice that initially.

We'll see where the feature goes in future years but I think Jeff is planning to tweak the tiers back to the cross-positional place I favored.

Really like this, thank you. I have 2 drafts left and will certainly use this, and it's also helped me valuing guys I just drafted in trade talks, so very cool. 

Users who are viewing this thread