What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish Question regarding sort of deadbeat owner (1 Viewer)

unckeyherb

Footballguy
15th year, 12-team keeper league.  All buddies from college, most have been in the league for its entirety, a couple of replacement guys over the years.

We have a guy in the league that has always been kind of a flake.  Doesn't show up to the draft at the last minute, has to auto draft, never comes out to watch games with the rest of us, generally kind of a #####.  This year he's had numerous weeks where he has not started a legit roster, including this week.  He simply did not select start for his defense-Cleveland-that would have won the game for him.  

We do Victory Point scoring, so his opponent will get 1 VP for being in the middle four teams in terms of scoring (which he'd get either way) and also 2 VPs for winning his game.  

The guy who won the game week took over commish duties from this year and proposed a rule at the beginning of the year that teams that have player positions not filled or filled with players on byes should be retroactively made right (in this case, Cleveland's defense would be activated in the lineup).  

The winner of this league get $2,000.  The guy that won this game (commish) is in second place and this will bolster his team even more.  

Does anyone have rules in place to the effect of what I described above?  Or another way to deal with this?  

Typically, we've always said, 'it is what it is', but this has gotten to be too much.  FWIW, we are also most likely bouncing him this year.

Thanks for any thoughts.

many leagues fine owners for obvious lineup neglect....it sucks when things affect the competitive balance of the league...I'd be throwing a hissy fit and asking it be "made right" somehow....but that's just me....I'm "that guy" sometimes...but sometimes leagues need to have a "that guy" even tho they don't think they do.....I don't mind playing that role because even though this is just a "hobby" and supposed to be for fun....many times there is a little bit of money on the line and people put time and effort into maintaining competitive balance by doing their best all year...it's not fair for a guy to "check out" some weeks and pay attention others....we have rules in place that the commish can make changes that are clearly in the best interest of the league...obviously it would be discussed amongst the league...

15th year, 12-team keeper league.  All buddies from college, most have been in the league for its entirety, a couple of replacement guys over the years.

We have a guy in the league that has always been kind of a flake.  Doesn't show up to the draft at the last minute, has to auto draft, never comes out to watch games with the rest of us, generally kind of a #####.  This year he's had numerous weeks where he has not started a legit roster, including this week.  He simply did not select start for his defense-Cleveland-that would have won the game for him.  

We do Victory Point scoring, so his opponent will get 1 VP for being in the middle four teams in terms of scoring (which he'd get either way) and also 2 VPs for winning his game.  

The guy who won the game week took over commish duties from this year and proposed a rule at the beginning of the year that teams that have player positions not filled or filled with players on byes should be retroactively made right (in this case, Cleveland's defense would be activated in the lineup).  

The winner of this league get $2,000.  The guy that won this game (commish) is in second place and this will bolster his team even more.  

Does anyone have rules in place to the effect of what I described above?  Or another way to deal with this?  

Typically, we've always said, 'it is what it is', but this has gotten to be too much.  FWIW, we are also most likely bouncing him this year.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Addressing second bolded point first, if this rule was established (proposed by commish, agreed to by whatever process you have for the league) then it looks like your league is doing the right thing. It actually addresses the very behavior that sucks to see from an absent owner. Non-issue, but that's not really the issue you're raising.

As to the first, doing something mid-season is a possibility, but as you have a process that institutes rules in the offseason, you can also institute additional penalties for frequent and inexcusable non-management of a team.

There have been times when guys in my league have gone AWOL, which stinks, but usually there is a personal or professional reason and we have a system set up to give another GM proxy of final decisions based on a pre-submitted plan (i.e. if a GM knows he's ill or going on a business trip overseas with no time/availability to make roster adjustments, he gives an overall "if x then y" overview, and leaves it up to another GM who is available and has already played -- reducing the chance of that proxy GM making adjustments that may benefit his own future match up with the GM who needs to hand over the reins).

Outside of this, we have penalties for non-management outside of these non-"life-getting-in-the-way" instances, ranging from inability to participate in waivers to outright ejection from the league for a year, depending on severity and frequency.

This is not life-changing money at stake, but enough skin in the game that you want serious owners. If this is a pattern that isn't expainable (you may want to check in with this GM just in case), institute penalties in the off-season for general non-management and get ready to find a replacement if this GM isn't willing or shows he's able to step up to the plate.

Users who are viewing this thread