What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish question (1 Viewer)

Bayhawks

Footballguy
Commish of a 15 year old keeper league, where I brought my cousin in this year to replace one of the original owners who had lost interest.

Cousin's team wasn't left with much, and he's had some bad luck with facing high-scoring teams.  He's 1-3, but he has been wracked by injuries, too.  Keenan Allen, Woodhead, now Dez Bryant. 

I've talked about a trade with him for Bryant, but I'm concerned that it will cause issues with the other owners (he brings his cousin in, now he's taking advantage of him in a trade).  I don't want this to be a rate my trade post, so I'll just leave it at a younger WR who has more keeper potential b/c of where he was drafted & can be kept vs where Dez was drafted/can be kept.  If Dez were healthy and/or cousin's team wasn't doing poorly, it would not be a fair trade.

Looking for commish input; do you ever avoid making trades (especially with family) to avoid the appearance of impropriety?

While I recognize that we commishes are players, too, and should be able to benefit from trading with all teams, I do tend to hold myself to a higher standard than I would hold most owners. My advice? Help your cousin make a trade with some of the other owners first, that is if he needs the help. 

As a general rule, if you think that the trade is going to cause issues with other owners, you already know the answer. Don't do it. 

15 years and other owners seriously wouldnt trust you?

I took over as Commish of my long time league several years ago. I would never not to a trade because of what other owners may think about it because I would never do a trade that was not 100% on the up and up.  And the other owners in the league know and trust that.

I would not serve as Commish if it prohibited me from acting in the best interest of my team within the rules, just like every other team.

^^^^Yeah ok...Family changes this. It just does.  See post #2. That seems the best for all involved really.

reading between the lines...I get the feeling if we knew the name of this "up and coming Keeper Receiver", we would say Ugh about the trade.

So just don't do it.

Your conscience is telling you its wrong.

Go with your gut.

For example Terrelle Prior for Dez Bryant in a keeper league is not a good trade!

^^^^Yeah ok...Family changes this. It just does.  See post #2. That seems the best for all involved really.
Yeah ok. Family shouldnt change anything.  

I brought my brother in law into our league.  I would never not do a deal with him b/c of what others think.  Again, if people don't trust an owner in the league that owner shouldnt be in the league.  If they don't trust the integrity of the Commish then he shouldnt be Commish.

Pretty simple to me. People either trust you or they don't. YMMV.

I understand that's HOW YOU THINK and probably most others do too but in the end...It's still iffy and in the back of everybody's mind that a split of the pot is in play. Sad but true. Many have other teams they play with just fam for that reason. I'm not sayin' I'd think that of anyone here, but you are just an avatar to me.  :)  Integrity never comes under scrutiny until it does. Right?  

reading between the lines...I get the feeling if we knew the name of this "up and coming Keeper Receiver", we would say Ugh about the trade.

So just don't do it.

Your conscience is telling you its wrong.

Go with your gut.

For example Terrelle Prior for Dez Bryant in a keeper league is not a good trade!
Its not Pryor; actually Pryor for Bryant would be a good trade, & an even better trade than what I had in mind.

I checked FBGs top 200 forward, and for this season, it actually has Dez ranked lower than my WR (& even lower still, than Pryor).  That's just for this season, and doesn't even take into account any keeper ramifications.

I understand that's HOW YOU THINK and probably most others do too but in the end...It's still iffy and in the back of everybody's mind that a split of the pot is in play. Sad but true. Many have other teams they play with just fam for that reason. I'm not sayin' I'd think that of anyone here, but you are just an avatar to me.  :)  Integrity never comes under scrutiny until it does. Right?  
This is where I'm at.  Essentially, I would be taking on the risk of Dez's injury being worse, hoping for the reward of "old Dez" showing up when Romo returns.

If "old Dez" shows up, I get a big upgrade at my WR2 spot.  

If Dez comes back, but continues like he was last year & the first couple weeks this year, I'm (at best) in the same place with my WR2 (arguably worse off), & I've lost a potentially good keeper.

If Dez's injury is worse than it seems, I've taken a big hit @WR2.

So the key factor is Dez's health; if it were any owner but my cousin, I'd try to work the trade, and take the risk, to try to reap the potential reward.  Since its my cousin, I think (as several have posted), that the potential fallout in the league IF I end up with "old Dez," isn't worth the possible reward.

Its not Pryor; actually Pryor for Bryant would be a good trade, & an even better trade than what I had in mind.

I checked FBGs top 200 forward, and for this season, it actually has Dez ranked lower than my WR (& even lower still, than Pryor).  That's just for this season, and doesn't even take into account any keeper ramifications.
Didn't know this. I wouldn't veto either way. Still feel the same tho'. Kinda sounds a little like you just don't want them to quit. 

Didn't know this. I wouldn't veto either way. Still feel the same tho'. Kinda sounds a little like you just don't want them to quit. 
I was surprised when I saw that.  I think Dez's name vale means more to me than to FBG.  Or maybe they know things I don't.  They are the experts, after all.

I don't want anyone to quit (don't think it would come to that, though).  If I look at this trade in a vacuum, with Dez's track record vs the rookies lack of an NFL track record, it seems lopsided.  When you factor in the keeper situations + Dez's injury, that's where it comes close to equal.  But I don't want to cause the other guys to think, as you said, there's some deal to split the pot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeper leagues have a building for the future aspect to it.  Those kind of trades may not be the best for this year, but they could be for the future.  If teams aren't doing similar moves, then they suck as owners.

Not necessarily. It depends how seriously (competitive) AND knowlegable your family takes the league. I play with my bro in a league, both of us fantasy addicts, and there's never been an instance where at the time of the deal, it wasn't a pretty balanced trade. We're competitive even in dealings and nobody has the pride to "lose" out in a trade.

But as a commish, I think we all take pride in our "babies" (leagues) and taking the time to run them the right way. If you're not at least a little conscious of how you interact with other owners or how they look at you, you probably aren't cut out for the job anyways.

I was surprised when I saw that.  I think Dez's name vale means more to me than to FBG.  Or maybe they know things I don't.  They are the experts, after all.

I don't want anyone to quit (don't think it would come to that, though).  If I look at this trade in a vacuum, with Dez's track record vs the rookies lack of an NFL track record, it seems lopsided.  When you factor in the keeper situations + Dez's injury, that's where it comes close to equal.  But I don't want to cause the other guys to think, as you said, there's some deal to split the pot.
I meant your cousin. I was thinking maybe you don't want them to quit. Sorry not clear. Your league mates wouldn't.  

Why don't you just name the name. Who cares? We won't send you to the Asst. Coach forum.

Listen...here's the thing. It will PROBABLY tick some guys off, but not enough for them to say anything.  Do it if you feel it's right. Cousin or not. If you are trusted enough to be the commish of a long running league (i assume you've commished for a while in this league and it's not a rotating type thing) then the rest of the league believes in you to do the right thing.

Just do the right thing. Which sounds like do the trade. Then just explain right after why it's fair if you feel the need.

BTW...It's gotta be Will Fuller for Dez right?

I would have no problem with this trade. Someone has to be commissioner. That doesn't mean the commissioner should be restricted from making a move that any other owner could make. The family issue seems irrelevant to me as well. If each owner feels the trade is in his best interest, no one should object. 

My league solves these potential dilemnas by having an assistant commissioner - whose sole job is to approve trades that the main commish is in.  We also have a 3rd-in-line commish to approve trades between the main and assistant commish.  Haven't had any issues in 5+ years.

Says it all when people don't want to name the mystery player they want to trade. Tells me right there that it's a real bad offer and you confirming that it's worse than Pryor is pretty scary. Unless there's at least 10 keepers, youth isn't nearly as important as in dynasty teams either. But you are saying the trade is good because of FBGs top 200 going forward. Well I think most of that is based on Dez missing a month and he's rated at 37. I mean Tyrell Williams is rated ahead of him.

But if you want a real answer, name the other player because if it's a real bad trade, yeah the other owners will be rightly mad that you are ripping of a family member you brought into the league. From your answers it's narrowed down to Thomas, Shepard and Tyrell Williams. Any of those are horrible and stink really bad unless Dez never returns to form again. He's 27 so that's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's okay for all the other owners to take advantage of an inexperienced owner, but not you? If you'd accept a trade from another owner, you shouldn't treat your own team differently. 

On the other hand, it's fair to say that a newbie shouldn't be picked clean by a league. That's not fun. So if that's what you're doing then it's wrong. But it would be wrong for ANY owner to do it. 

I've never understood this "guilty until proven innocent" commissioner philosophy, and their willingness to purposely hurt their own team so they can maintain a Mother Teresa image nobody cares about except him. Your responsibility is to treat your team like any other. No better and no worse. When wearing your commissioner hat, you don't care who wins. Your only concern is what's best for the league. If everyone was watching your every move, would it be above board? That's your standard.

If you'd allow someone else to do it, you're allowed to do it. You're allowed to do well. You're allowed to win. You don't have to play with one hand tied behind your back so as to avoid even looking like a shrewd owner. You don't get a cookie for hurting your own team.

But you know if you're taking advantage of a new owner. If that's allowed in your league, go for it. But if it's bad form in your league, don't be a jerk.

So it's okay for all the other owners to take advantage of an inexperienced owner, but not you? If you'd accept a trade from another owner, you shouldn't treat your own team differently. 

On the other hand, it's fair to say that a newbie shouldn't be picked clean by a league. That's not fun. So if that's what you're doing then it's wrong. But it would be wrong for ANY owner to do it. 

I've never understood this "guilty until proven innocent" commissioner philosophy, and their willingness to purposely hurt their own team so they can maintain a Mother Teresa image nobody cares about except him. Your responsibility is to treat your team like any other. No better and no worse. When wearing your commissioner hat, you don't care who wins. Your only concern is what's best for the league. If everyone was watching your every move, would it be above board? That's your standard.

If you'd allow someone else to do it, you're allowed to do it. You're allowed to do well. You're allowed to win. You don't have to play with one hand tied behind your back so as to avoid even looking like a shrewd owner. You don't get a cookie for hurting your own team.

But you know if you're taking advantage of a new owner. If that's allowed in your league, go for it. But if it's bad form in your league, don't be a jerk.
Exactly.  People make things more complicated than they need to be.

Someone said they hold themselves to a higher standard as Commish.  I don't get what that higher standard, or lower standard for other owners, would be when it comes to trades. Every owner should be competent enough to independently make trades in an effort to improve their team. I don't get the hand holding and anguish that so many have when it comes to trades.

Again you either have trustworthy and competent owners in your league or you don't.  If its a new owner in a competitive league then people may try to take advantage of them in a deal.  Its up to that owner what deals he wants to make.  He will learn through experience.  If he's incompetent and doesnt learn then my issue would be with you, as Commish, bringing in an incompetent owner.  Not trying to take advantage of your cousin because any other league member could do the same thing.

As Commish I would never avoid a trade because of the "appearance of impropriety" because one of the reasons I'm Commish is that the other owners know and trust me.  My league is also a 15 year league with about half original owners.  I brought my brother in law in a few years ago.  I'd have no issues making any deal with him.  

In general I think people are way too uptight about trades in redraft.  Because of our rules and the owners we have, there are multiple trades in my league every year.  This year has been especially active with 8 trades having already taken place.  I see other leagues that dont have 8 trades in 8 years.

If you are that worried about other people's rosters or trades that you THINK are so unfair they will disrupt the competitive balance of the league then I would argue that you need better owners and maybe a better Commish.

He's not a newbie; he's played FF for many years, he just happens to be new to this league, and happens to be my cousin.

For those of you saying "just name the player, we won't send you to the AC;" I'll ask, have you read this forum?  Anytime someone even remotely broaches a question that could be construed as a rate this trade/team/add/drop/etc, the board police flip out and spend the next 20 posts discussing how that type of question can't pollute this board (meanwhile, they spend 20 posts polluting the board, complaining about those questions).  That's why I didn't name my players.  But, I'll do so now, in the hopes it will get some additional productive replies (and thanks for the earlier responses, as well).

I have both Shepard and M. Thomas.  Both were drafted relatively late, and are much more likely to be kept than Bryant (because of when they were drafted).  The trade would be for 1 of them for Dez.  His reasons would be: either player is playing now, while Dez's status is unclear, possibly helping him now.  If the trade doesn't help him this year, he still has a WR that is a better keeper option (assuming they continue at, or improve upon, their current levels of production).  My reasons would be that I hope Dez can return to health, and Romo can return/stay healthy, allowing a Dez like the player from 2014 to get in my lineup.

I get the responses saying Dez for Pryor, Shepard, Fuller, M Thomas, etc are unfair; I thought the same thing, at first.  But there is no guarantee that Dez will get/stay healthy, that Romo will stay healthy when he returns, or that the Dez of 2 years ago will return.  Over the last 1.25 seasons, Dez hasn't done much.  He has 2 games over 100 yards, only scored 4 times, and only 1 game with both 100 yards AND a TD.  He also hasn't been able to stay on the field, nor has his quarterback.  Obviously, I'm not considering this guy for a trade, I'm hoping to get the guy from 2014.

I wasn't trying to take advantage of my cousin, and if he was making this trade with another owner, I'd question it at first, then would probably understand it based on the reasoning I laid out above.  I likely won't do the trade, as most responses seem to indicate that I need to be "above reproach" as a commish.

Users who are viewing this thread