What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comparing LeSean McCoy to Barry Sanders (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure what the argument is because to me, without even considering the teams they played for, the stats clearly show Barry was the superior RB. The difference in yards and TDs is significant
If you consider the teams they play for it's even more impressive, since without Barry the Lions were arguably the worst team year after year. They might have won 5 games without Barry during his career, and that's on the high side.
That's not true. Sanders played 10 seasons. The Lions were a playoff team 5 of those. They actually made the playoffs the year AFTER Sanders retired which showed they weren't just carried by Sanders.
You might be talking about after Barry's career ended. I was talking about during Barry's career.
I'm not. Sanders played from 89-98. The Lions made the playoffs in 91, 93, 94, 95 and 97. Then they made the playoffs the year after he retired in 99.
So is 99 after 98? Numbers aren't my first language.
Apparently, neither is reading comprehension.
Reading comprehension isn't anyone's first language. It's not a language. You were far too easy. You should go into these things slower.

I'm not sure what the argument is because to me, without even considering the teams they played for, the stats clearly show Barry was the superior RB. The difference in yards and TDs is significant
If you consider the teams they play for it's even more impressive, since without Barry the Lions were arguably the worst team year after year. They might have won 5 games without Barry during his career, and that's on the high side.
That's not true. Sanders played 10 seasons. The Lions were a playoff team 5 of those. They actually made the playoffs the year AFTER Sanders retired which showed they weren't just carried by Sanders.
You might be talking about after Barry's career ended. I was talking about during Barry's career.
I'm not. Sanders played from 89-98. The Lions made the playoffs in 91, 93, 94, 95 and 97. Then they made the playoffs the year after he retired in 99.
So is 99 after 98? Numbers aren't my first language.
Apparently, neither is reading comprehension.
Reading comprehension isn't anyone's first language. It's not a language. You were far too easy. You should go into these things slower.
So then my post is correct, just like my post about Sander's Detroit teams. I think your speed is a bit slow. You need to pick up the pace.

The fact that this made it to 2 pages is embarrassing for anyone on the McCoy side making an argument.

Agreed.

As is the difference in carries and overall touches. Their yards per attempt rushing are almost identical.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bow to the FBG Gods and withdraw my comparison of LeSean McCoy to Barry Sanders. I obviously have some sort of sickness or Fever (an ague, if you will) for even bringing the topic up.

Henceforth, I shall never compare any past, present, or future running back to Barry Sanders. He is, was, and ever shall be the greatest running back to play in the NFL.

May God have mercy on my soul.

Updated Stats Through 5 Full Seasons:

McCoy: 74 games, 60 starts, 7,600 total yards (rush & rec.), 49 total TD's, 4.76 rushing avg.

Sanders: 73 games, 71 starts, 8,288 total yards, 60 total TD's, 4.74 rushing avg.

(For informational purposes, not for comparison)

Updated Stats Through 5 Full Seasons:

McCoy: 74 games, 60 starts, 7,600 total yards (rush & rec.), 49 total TD's, 4.76 rushing avg.

Sanders: 73 games, 71 starts, 8,288 total yards, 60 total TD's, 4.74 rushing avg.

(For informational purposes, not for comparison)
Excluding their stats:

Average YPC of non-QBs McCoy's first 5 years: 4.26

Average YPC of non-QBs Sanders' first 5 years: 3.96

Harder to run in the 1990s.

LeSean McCoy - RB - Eagles
Philly Mag's Sheil Kapadia does not expect the Eagles to lighten LeSean McCoy's workload.
Last year, McCoy led the league in carries (314), touches (366) and was second among running backs in snaps. He was more than capable of handling it, showing no signs of wearing down and rarely taking big hits. McCoy just turned 26 years old last week and remains the obvious focal point of Chip Kelly's run-first scheme. He's our pick at No. 1 overall in fantasy drafts.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7
Jul 17 - 10:55 AM

Users who are viewing this thread