What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (3 Viewers)

Recently caught King's X and Queens of the Stone Age. King's X was at small venue; was not sure what to expect, as they have been off the road for quite awhile. But they put on excellent show and sounded great. Blend of old and new (though nothing off of Gretchen Goes To Nebraska, which I view as the album that "broke" them, so that was a surprise). Appears they are doing small blocks of shows in a given area. Guess based on age and recent health scares, that make sense. Would recommend as a casual fan.

QOTSA was a pleasant surprise, in that I am a bigger fan of their early material (fortunate enough to catch a show when Nick Olivieri was still in the band). But they really brought it and did a great blend in their set. Stage show was pretty cool too. Josh at one point called all the fans to come down lower and closer to the stage...sure security loved that!

As a change of pace, may go see Calexico this week at a free show in one of our local parks. Always liked listening to their stuff and seems like the right environment for it. Hopefully the weather will coocooper
Where did you see Kng's X? Ty just got back from what I hear. Grew up with those guys and have been trying to get my wife to a show. Between Covid, Jerry's health issues, Ty''s health issues it's been tough...

Recently caught King's X and Queens of the Stone Age. King's X was at small venue; was not sure what to expect, as they have been off the road for quite awhile. But they put on excellent show and sounded great. Blend of old and new (though nothing off of Gretchen Goes To Nebraska, which I view as the album that "broke" them, so that was a surprise). Appears they are doing small blocks of shows in a given area. Guess based on age and recent health scares, that make sense. Would recommend as a casual fan.

QOTSA was a pleasant surprise, in that I am a bigger fan of their early material (fortunate enough to catch a show when Nick Olivieri was still in the band). But they really brought it and did a great blend in their set. Stage show was pretty cool too. Josh at one point called all the fans to come down lower and closer to the stage...sure security loved that!

As a change of pace, may go see Calexico this week at a free show in one of our local parks. Always liked listening to their stuff and seems like the right environment for it. Hopefully the weather will coocooper
Where did you see Kng's X? Ty just got back from what I hear. Grew up with those guys and have been trying to get my wife to a show. Between Covid, Jerry's health issues, Ty''s health issues it's been tough...
Red Bank, NJ

Only posted dates are in September in PA/OH

Luminees last Friday at Jones beach. Always a fun show. The first highlight of the night was the venue. Kind of a Pain to get to but so worth it. The stage literally sits in the inlet that exists between the island and the mainland so while the sun is still up, you just have great views. https://photos.app.goo.gl/nWgBjK2H3S8Erg8d9
Not too many shows get played there but I'll certainly be back next year. The other highlight was the opening act james bay. Never heard of him but he sure was a pleasant surprise. Will be sure to see him when he's back in town. I love discovering new musicians.

Rick Springfield in Fort Worth last night. It was an 80s Tour with Tommy Tutone, Paul Young, and The Hooters opening. We didn't see the first two. The Hooters were pretty solid.

Rick was great. Though he turns 74 on Wednesday and, as great a shape as he is in, you can tell he's 74. He can't hold notes as long and gets a little winded. But still great to see him. Though I would have much preferred less Tommy Tutone and Paul Young and more Rick. The entire show was 3.5 hours but his part was only 1:15-1:20 or so.

Saw Darius Rucker at the Greek last night. Love love love that venue for a summer concert. Just great acoustics, perfect weather. Darius was great. Played all of his own hits, several from his Hootie days and then did a # of great covers. Pink Houses was especially good. He's just got that voice you can listen to all night long. Very talented band as well.

Susan Williams and the Wright Groove and The Rico McFarland Band...Rico's sideman played in Junior Walker and the All Stars...ya know...if you do not you better ask somebody or spend an hour or two on youtube. with Kingfish, and Missing You , Sugar Blue are a good starting point...

7 or 8 years ago I saw a Jack White show and I thought the opener The Nude Party was really good and always wanted to check them out in a small bar. Finally got a chance to see them this weekend and thought they were great. Encored deep cut Dylan, Tonight I’ll be Staying Here with You. Tip of the cap.

Last edited:
Lionel Richie and Earth, Wind, and Fire - First, I don't know EW&F that well. I recognized a few songs - and the music was good. I just am not very familiar with them. But they put on a good show. If you like them a lot, you'd be very pleased.

Lionel was awesome. He played a ton of hits - including a number of Commodores songs. And he was great. Dacin' on the Ceiling blew the roof off the joint. It was awesome. I recommend the show if they come to your town. Good stuff.

Both Jeff Rosenstock and Chris Farren are on tour now: they were both scheduled to be in Philly on the same night so they wound up combining shows. Sold - I am taking my daughter to another punk show, nice. She is not a fan of either band, but she loves live shows.

I am taking her to boygenius in October - she is super stoked about that one.

7 or 8 years ago I saw a Jack White show and I thought the opener The Nude Party was really good and always wanted to check them out in a small bar. Finally got a chance to see them this weekend and thought they were great. Encored deep cut Dylan, Tonight I’ll be Staying Here with You. Tip of the cap.
Their new album is one of my favorites of the year so far.

Thursday I saw the Squirrel Nut Zippers and X. Both bands were a lot of fun and energetic. Friday I went to the Outlaw Festival. Kid Particle, String Cheese Incident, Los Lobos, Tedeschi Trucks Band and Willie and Family played. Everyone was good. Willie was in strong voice and he played Trigger great too. His son Lukas was with him. They did a really nice version together of Pearl Jam's song "Just Breathe." I'm looking forward to seeing The Furs and Squeeze on the 19th.

Is red rocks pretty cool? Saw there’s a very limited tour out west next year with Perfect Circle, Puscifer and Primus (all on stage same time for Maynard’s 60th). Out of the venues that would probably be my top choice just based on location

Seeing Billy Idol at The Atlantis in DC tonight (small 450 capacity venue recently opened up by owner of the 9:30 Club).

ETA: Think this show would be up the alley of @Andy Dufresne
The Atlantis is a fantastic venue. Anyone in the DC area needs to go to it. It is general admission, standing-only with a small balcony. Really intimate. Doors opened at 8:00; I got in line a little after 7:30. When we got in, we were able to be on the floor about five standing rows back. They are doing an inaugural run of shows to celebrate the history of the 9:30 Club — Billy Idol said one of his first shows when he came to America and started his solo career was the 9:30 Club; so, was coming back to celebrate the new venue. After the inaugural run of shows, intended to be one of those “can you believe we saw them at such a small venue back before they were famous” type of places.

My wife caught a guitar pick thrown into the crowd by his guitarist, Steve Stevens. She also had her hands on a signed souvenir that Billy Idol threw into the crowd too, but unfortunately dropped it.

Some pics I took. His backup singers just liked some that I posted on Instagram, lol.

Last edited:
Day 1 of sea hear now festival down with Nathaniel Rateliff and the night sweats being highlight of day 1. Heading to day 2 shortly with the foo fighters ending the festival tonight.
I was there also. Living Colour stole the day imo, but Nathaniel was a close second.

I missed them as I saw Tash Sultana who was playing at the same time on a different stage and she was great as well. Foos were awesome to finish out the concert on Sunday but thought music was generally better on Saturday.

This is my fourth Sea Here Now festival in a row and will definately be back next year!

Day 1 of sea hear now festival down with Nathaniel Rateliff and the night sweats being highlight of day 1. Heading to day 2 shortly with the foo fighters ending the festival tonight.
I was there also. Living Colour stole the day imo, but Nathaniel was a close second.

I missed them as I saw Tash Sultana who was playing at the same time on a different stage and she was great as well. Foos were awesome to finish out the concert on Sunday but thought music was generally better on Saturday.

This is my fourth Sea Here Now festival in a row and will definately be back next year!
Yes it’s a great event - and it’s amazing to watch them build this city within a city - I live three blocks away from the Surf Stage entrance gate.

I saw people I know after Living Colour who chose to see Tash as well and said she was great.

I only went Saturday and saw:
Surfer Girl
Snacktime
Oteil & Friends
(Left to go walk my dog)
Cheryl Crow
Living Colour
Greta Van Fleet (only one song, because I wanted to be close for Ratliff)
Nathaniel Ratliff and the Nightsweats
The Killers

All were great.

I heard The Beach Boys and Weezer loud and clear in my living room with windows open while watching the Jets.

Last edited:
Is red rocks pretty cool?

Is this shtick? Of course it is.

I’ve never been but heard good things. Like is it worth flying cross country to see a show?
Ever since I saw U2's "Under a Blood Red Sky" concert film in the 80's I wanted to check it out, and it became a bucket list thing for me. About 5 years ago I finally decided to go and flew out from Chicago solo to see a MMJ run there. Then again in 2021 for Dead & Company. Had an amazing time both trips. Just a completely unique concert experience.

The acoustics are incredible. I've never heard Jim James sound like he did there at any other MMJ show I'd seen. Love the Colorado vibe and the people, which also makes it cool. The natural beauty of the place is breathtaking. The experience was like a hiking trip in the mountains and then taking a break to see a show. The weather is nuts; I experienced heat, rain and near freezing temperatures on my trips there. Never know what it's going to do up there and have to be prepared.

If you like live music and nature stuff like hiking it's a no-brainer to check it out at least once IMO.

Both Jeff Rosenstock and Chris Farren are on tour now: they were both scheduled to be in Philly on the same night so they wound up combining shows.

Jeff brought Chris out and they had an Antarctigo Vespucci reunion during the encore - it was amazing.
so.... the rest of this tour is postponed now because everyone in all of the bands has covid. Not gonna lie, neither my daughter nor I have been feeling well this week. :oldunsure:

Long way away, but just booked George Strait, Chris Stapleton and Little Big Town for Dec 2024 in Vegas. Huge Stapleton and Strait fan, and it’s my favorite weekend of the year to go to Vegas. Always have rodeo finals in town so there are tons of concerts happening, plus can see the residencies, plus NFL games on Sunday. Throw in Absinthe and a couple of great restaurants and it’s an awesome 3 day weekend. Stapleton dropping a new album. Can’t wait.

ACL Festival wristbands arrived in the mail last night. My kids (19 and 15) are more excited than I expected to go. The lineup outside of a few mainstays is making me feel old for the first time. But all about having my kids finally experience the full Zilker Park experience. Daughter already fretting over the fact that Kendrick Lamar and The Lumineers are playing at the same time. Time for her to make those grown up decisions.

Saw Foo Fighters last night here in Virginia Beach. Always wanted to see them but life got in the way. Better late than never, what a fantastic show. Grohl knows how to work the crowd and the band crushed it. New drummer was on fire (RIP Taylor Hawkins).
Awesome. I’m so freaking bummed. Been trying to see them for 5 freakin years. Finally they announce they will be at Santa Barbara Bowl in a few weeks. One of the best venues on earth. Except I’ll be in Ireland.

Has anyone seen the current YES lineup? I don't think any original members, but I am a huge fan of their early albums. I've found both of the kids listening to them so thinking of taking them.

Has anyone seen the current YES lineup? I don't think any original members, but I am a huge fan of their early albums. I've found both of the kids listening to them so thinking of taking them.

I was considering it but they’re playing at an Italian banquet hall so I wasn’t sure if it was the real band or some tribute band

I know this is a common experience, but I just did the whole artist/plantium presale thing for a show that isn't until next July (Tyler Childers). Registered in advance with the artist website, password texted to me 30 minutes before and I was all signed in and in the waiting room; was admitted to buy tickets right when the sale started and there were no good seats available - nothing remotely close or even under the covering at this outdoor theater. I'm a seat snob in my old age and have no interest in the far distant or GA areas. There were a smattering of good seats that looked available for a ridiculous price, but when I clicked on them ready to bite the bullet it requested a second password tied to some status that I don't have. I have to do this to myself every year or so just to remind myself that my days seeing large arena or amphitheater shows are behind me.

Anyway, I've got Nick Cave's solo tour show in a couple weeks so looking forward to that.

I'm pretty sure the current touring YES band still has Steve Howe in it, which would be cool.

I haven't seen this incarnation of YES, but saw Jon Anderson this past spring who played all 1970's YES and it was awesome. If the kids are into it, I'd go for it. I'm a big fan of Jon Anderson's voice, but the guy who sings with YES these days does a decent job mimicking him from videos I've seen, and seeing Steve Howe live while he's still around would be worth it.

Last edited:
I know this is a common experience, but I just did the whole artist/plantium presale thing for a show that isn't until next July (Tyler Childers). Registered in advance with the artist website, password texted to me 30 minutes before and I was all signed in and in the waiting room; was admitted to buy tickets right when the sale started and there were no good seats available - nothing remotely close or even under the covering at this outdoor theater. I'm a seat snob in my old age and have no interest in the far distant or GA areas. There were a smattering of good seats that looked available for a ridiculous price, but when I clicked on them ready to bite the bullet it requested a second password tied to some status that I don't have. I have to do this to myself every year or so just to remind myself that my days seeing large arena or amphitheater shows are behind me.

Anyway, I've got Nick Cave's solo tour show in a couple weeks so looking forward to that.

Except for extremely popular acts, this is just Ticketmaster-created panic. There will be plenty of tickets available at general sale I'm sure.

Saw moe. last night. I wore out their No Doy CD back in the late 90's but for whatever reason didn't listen to them much deeper. It was a great show.

Just saw Depeche Mode in Austin. They are great. Dave Gahan's voice is still awesome.

But while I love them, I've seen them a few times in the last 5 years and I really think their setlists kind of suck. The first 2/3 of the show is mostly songs from the last 10 years that I don't know. And they start off with slow stuff that just doesn't get the energy level up.

Having said that, when they play Stripped or ... NEVER LET ME DOWN AGAIN - well like a great golf shot, that will bring you back every damn time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread