What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concreteguys/Contractorguys (1 Viewer)

hagmania

Footballguy
I'm a fledgling homeowner and general consensus baby boy compared to the seasoned wisdom of the FFA. I need your advice!

Is there a significant difference in the risk of damage on a new pad for work done before vs after the pad is sealed?

Our new patio out back was poured, stamped and colored two weeks ago. It looks great, we're very happy with it. Our concrete contractor has been very helpful and explanatory; they'll be out to seal the concrete at the end of next week.

Enter our covered patio contractors, looking to provide us with a discount if we agree to be flexible and move up our date to early next week. This is a fairly simple cover with some impact to the pad: there will be two posts anchored in the footers poured into our pad and the rest will be anchored to our exterior wall.

Is this just a terrible idea to have them come work before the pad has been sealed and set for a few days? I realize there is some risk, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it is significantly different than if the crew was working on the sealed pad.

Thanks!

To me I would want as much time to elapse between pouring the pad and then using it as basically the anchor for the covering. Concrete can cure fast but it takes time to really cure completely.

To me I would want as much time to elapse between pouring the pad and then using it as basically the anchor for the covering. Concrete can cure fast but it takes time to really cure completely.
This makes more sense to me to be worried about vs sealed/not.

Both parties are protecting their own interests so it's really down to cutting through all that and just making a decision.

I'm a fledgling homeowner and general consensus baby boy compared to the seasoned wisdom of the FFA. I need your advice!

Is there a significant difference in the risk of damage on a new pad for work done before vs after the pad is sealed?

Our new patio out back was poured, stamped and colored two weeks ago. It looks great, we're very happy with it. Our concrete contractor has been very helpful and explanatory; they'll be out to seal the concrete at the end of next week.

Enter our covered patio contractors, looking to provide us with a discount if we agree to be flexible and move up our date to early next week. This is a fairly simple cover with some impact to the pad: there will be two posts anchored in the footers poured into our pad and the rest will be anchored to our exterior wall.

Is this just a terrible idea to have them come work before the pad has been sealed and set for a few days? I realize there is some risk, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it is significantly different than if the crew was working on the sealed pad.

Thanks!
It takes ~26-30 days for a 4" slab of concrete to cure - this 28 days is for driving heavier vehicles on it ~10 days before putting light furniture on it etc.

You can begin framing usually in the 7-10 day period. A wedge anchor should not be used until the full curing period. Since this is all foot traffic type stuff the sealer would not affect the "durability" of the concrete. That is to prevent color fade, foot prints, stains etc etc etc

You should be more worried on the framing/anchors type frame and curing time...... sealer has no bearing on that

my .02

Since this is all foot traffic type stuff the sealer would not affect the "durability" of the concrete. That is to prevent color fade, foot prints, stains etc etc etc
This. Sealer isn't for durability in most cases and is for cosmetic issues like fading, water spots, stains etc.

GB Hags you boyish millennial stud.....

Since you got it stamped.... I'm guessing it had colors and fancy design. The sealer is like putting wax on your car. Or sealer on a marble counter top. Its to prevent staining, color fade from the sun stuff like that.

Were the anchors already poured into the concrete? Are there some type of bolts brackets already attached?

You probably would be "ok" unless its a wedge anchor

Last edited:
GB Hags you boyish millennial stud.....

Since you got it stamped.... I'm guessing it had colors and fancy design. The sealer is like putting wax on your car. Or sealer on a marble counter top. Its to prevent staining, color fade from the son stuff like that.

Were the anchors already poured into the concrete? Are there some type of bolts brackets already attached?

You probably would be "ok" unless its a wedge anchor
I get by in life with my boyish charm, devilishly good looks and that rizz. And also asking people stuff when I figure they have experience or knowledge I don't.

I do appreciate the advice. I think my current decision tree leads me to calling back the covered patio crew and understanding what specifically they are using to anchor.

@belljr

I moved about six months ago, my new home has a retaining wall/back porch that is concrete. It is just plain concrete. A good friend told me to watch it after a rain and see if it dries quicker than the brick walkway next to it. He said if dries a lot quicker the concrete is absorbing moisture. Guess what?

Any recommendations on a sealer for Texas summers and winters? The patio part is smooth and I would like to add some sand or something to give it a little texture when wet or icy.

@belljr

I moved about six months ago, my new home has a retaining wall/back porch that is concrete. It is just plain concrete. A good friend told me to watch it after a rain and see if it dries quicker than the brick walkway next to it. He said if dries a lot quicker the concrete is absorbing moisture. Guess what?

Any recommendations on a sealer for Texas summers and winters? The patio part is smooth and I would like to add some sand or something to give it a little texture when wet or icy.
Sorry I don't have any recs other than just buying whatever stone sealer you get at any box or hardscaping store

ETA: I'm not an actual regular concrete guy but "know stuff" lol

Last edited:
Your concrete should be at 90%+ of its specified strength in the two plus weeks since the pour. I don't know what the mix was, but probably 3,000 psi. If it was me and the discount was worth it, I'd probably roll with it.

Users who are viewing this thread