What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corey Clement Thread (1 Viewer)

Seems I read this situation wrong. Doesn't look like there is much week to week value unless Ajayi is injured. Probably going to drop him since I need space in 2 leagues. 

Seems I read this situation wrong. Doesn't look like there is much week to week value unless Ajayi is injured. Probably going to drop him since I need space in 2 leagues.
Even if Ajayi got hurt Smallwood would enter the RBBC. And if Smallwood got hurt it would be Adams. And if Adams got hurt they'd sign someone off the street and give him 30% of the snaps and 10 touches. It's just hard to see a path to Clement being an every week starter and if he doesn't have that kind of upside what's the point in holding him? 

Even if Ajayi got hurt Smallwood would enter the RBBC. And if Smallwood got hurt it would be Adams. And if Adams got hurt they'd sign someone off the street and give him 30% of the snaps and 10 touches. It's just hard to see a path to Clement being an every week starter and if he doesn't have that kind of upside what's the point in holding him? 
1. Adams isn't even on the team.
2.  I agree with you.  Sort of.  I'll agree with you fully if the same thing happens next week.  Need one more week to add to the sample size.

Give it another week. Looks to me like they tried to scheme Dan Quinns Falcons defense with a big dash of Sproles.

And in the end (i.e. second half) it was the proto-sized RBs that worked.

Clement wasn’t a Week One play, I don’t think.
Probably true, although I think that most did not expect that little usage.

As an Ajayi owner, I'm hoping for one more week of limited usage by Clement so that maybe the Clement owner gets frustrated and drops him. Would love to have him as Ajayi insurance, as I think Pederson's love for Sproles is going to fade.

Guess you missed the SB, eh?

Depends on the league. 

Small leagues sure. He's not a top 24 back. Don't know that I'd bet on him becoming one if Ajayi were out. 

In larger leagues? I'm willing to bet he makes a pretty decent RB2 or flex play. 

quite a lot of assumptions here. 

Even if its RBBC with Clement in the lead role, how does that make Clement not fantasy relevant? Is Ajayi relevant? so why cant Clement be in that same role?

Last edited by a moderator:
Clement was a flyer for me in 12th round,  Roster him for now as 4th RB and see what happens.  I agree with the above that you need 2-3 games to figure out his role then make a determination.  . 

Not so much concerned with the split with Ajayi as I am the number of snaps that Sproles got.  Sproles is an all time great at what he does but I am not sure he has that next level quickness that is/was his signature.

Clement nearly broke that long TD if he could have gotten around the safety.  Maybe a slightly different conversation if he had taken that one in.  He's a hold for me.

Right, I don't think Doug Pederson is ever going to have a 300 carry back.  In his first two seasons, he did have a tendency to have one back take a bulk of the load, but that topped out both years in less then 200 carries for the season.  I think he like rotating them with a 3rd down/recieving back.  Now, if he gets a Elliot/Bell type workhorse - we'd re-evaluate.  But I don't think that's the type of offense he runs.  Chiefs in 2016 (with Ware/West) played out the same way.

Not so much concerned with the split with Ajayi as I am the number of snaps that Sproles got.  Sproles is an all time great at what he does but I am not sure he has that next level quickness that is/was his signature.

Clement nearly broke that long TD if he could have gotten around the safety.  Maybe a slightly different conversation if he had taken that one in.  He's a hold for me.
Sproles still had the quickness, but not the speed nor the strength that he had. I think that his usage will fade sooner than later

Stephen Holloway said:
Sproles still had the quickness, but not the speed nor the strength that he had. I think that his usage will fade sooner than later
Sproles didn't have his usual explosiveness but he looked pretty good for his first game back. I'll be curious to see if he regains some of that speed in the next few weeks. 

Angry Beavers said:
IMHO, he is a hold unless you have some great other option on your WW. It was 1 game. Not the time to over react.
Dropped him and then had a hard time deciding on a replacement. Grabbed Gallup for now. That may change by Sunday kickoff.

Guys, Clement is a hold right now. 

I'm not sure why you think he'd get more than last night's activity when Ajayi is healthy.

Ajayi's knees are suspect, and Clement is one of those backups who could explode if given the start...be patient.

Keepers said:
He had a big game, but that was on 7 touches and 1 punt return.  I like Clement but the SB supports the argument that will have limited usage.
I think people (including me) were high on Clement coming into the season as while no-one expected him to press for the lion's share of carries right away, we didn't know how Ajayi's injuries would factor into this season, Clement did have potential short yard/GL usage potential, and -- like in the SB -- he is very productive in his carries.

I think last night, the shine is off the penny for the first two -- was not a huge offensive game for anyone on the field, but Ajayi didn't seem overtly hampered, and was used down low to score a few times. The productivity point remains -- guy had 5.2 yds per carry on limited usage.

I'm downgrading Clement as a low-grade handcuff -- Sproles, while not challenging him in the run game appears to be positioned to also siphoned carries, so rather than a guy who could contribute and earn more carries, Clement becomes just an injury handcuff. 

I never like overreacting to the first week, but definitely poised to shed this guy if a more attractive option becomes available.

I dropped him in two leagues for kickers. Not happy about it but I'm at the top or near it for waiver position if something does happen to Ajayi. Hopefully people leave him on the wire.

Deamon said:
I thought he was on the practice squad.

-OZ- said:
In larger leagues? I'm willing to bet he makes a pretty decent RB2 or flex play.
Is this just a bet on Ajayi going down?

Dr. Dan said:
quite a lot of assumptions here.

Even if its RBBC with Clement in the lead role, how does that make Clement not fantasy relevant? Is Ajayi relevant? so why cant Clement be in that same role?
If he continues to run like he did last night, where his vision looked extremely suspect I don't think he'd be a lock to lead the RBBC in the event that Ajayi went down. Clement had one good run through a rather large hole and he couldn't even beat the single defender (Kazee) standing in between him and the end zone. He looked like whatever the inverse of elusive is in the open field on that run.

I thought maybe Clement could derive some value in the passing game since he seemed to come on in the post season last year but Sproles lead the team in target share (20%) and targets per snap (24%) last night - Clement wasn't involved at all. And Ajayi looked quite a bit better in between the tackles. I don't know, I just really didn't like what I saw but I'm not dropping him yet. I need to see more. 

I dropped him in two leagues for kickers. Not happy about it but I'm at the top or near it for waiver position if something does happen to Ajayi. Hopefully people leave him on the wire.
Wow - I know the luster has worn a bit in the short term, but that's quite a reaction and a big gamble.

Wow - I know the luster has worn a bit in the short term, but that's quite a reaction and a big gamble.
Trust me I don't feel great about it but he was my only non starter on both teams. Can't roll out a team without a kicker.. I'm hoping he stays quiet until I can make room through trades or something.

Deamon said:
2.  I agree with you.  Sort of.  I'll agree with you fully if the same thing happens next week.  Need one more week to add to the sample size.
Adams is on the practice squad so in his hypothetical with Ajayi and Smallwood being hurt, the Eagles would activate Adams to the roster.

I’m not really worried.  Coaching staff said they were going to feature Ajayi and they did.  Doubt that is sustainable for 17 games though

Clements a second half of the season play

I’m not really worried.  Coaching staff said they were going to feature Ajayi and they did.  Doubt that is sustainable for 17 games though

Clements a second half of the season play
I would agree that Clements could still be a second-half guy, but much more dependent on Ajayi wearing down. Do you think Ajayi will wear down because of injury, or you don't believe in his ability or think that Pederson continues to feature him?

Guys, Clement is a hold right now. 

I'm not sure why you think he'd get more than last night's activity when Ajayi is healthy.

Ajayi's knees are suspect, and Clement is one of those backups who could explode if given the start...be patient.

you can certainly be patient depending on the league/roster. but some people who were hoping he might be more involved in the early going, even with a healthy-ish ajayi, can at least cut him knowing that he almost definitely needs a severe injury to ajayi to be useful.

if you have an immediate need or if someone surprises on sunday or there's a significant injury to someone else, clement could be a fine cut (or trade bait).

Geez.  Yeah, give up for sure after week 1.  After all, Sproles is going to lead the RBs in snaps all season.  Ajayi got 28 snaps last night.  That’s pretty par for the course from last season.  Clement ought to soak up the snaps Sproles will be surrendering as the season plays out.  Patience is required.  Or just dump him and chase the flavor of the week all year.  Best of luck with that.

I would agree that Clements could still be a second-half guy, but much more dependent on Ajayi wearing down. Do you think Ajayi will wear down because of injury, or you don't believe in his ability or think that Pederson continues to feature him?
I just think there’s a lot of ways it could go wrong with Ajayi at some point.  Mostly the suspect knee issue and his reputation as a big whiner if he thinks he’s under utilized at some point.

And last night reminded me that he’s a really violent runner.  He was breaking LB tackles by hitting them harder than they hit him.  Great football and fun to watch, not a recipe for RB career longevity.

Evan Silva (@evansilva)

9/7/18, 12:55 PM

Doug Pederson said Jay Ajayi handled only 3 first-half carries because #Eagles wanted to ease him in coming off foot injury. Had 12 rushes in 2nd half, gained 51 yards with 2 TDs. "Moving forward, we'll see him more." nj.com/eagles/index.s…

I actually think Clements could be one break away explosive run away from making people think otherwise about him. No, I don't think he is going to automatically take over for Ajayi but he certainly has potential.

The bad attitude is more than background noise IMO.  It’s why the opportunity is bigger for Clement than a typical backup.  With Ajayi you’ve got at least the baseline risk of injury any workhorse RB has (maybe more but not confirmed), AND you’ve got the fact he’s apparently a complete pain to have on your football team.  

It’s widely reported Miami saw his success on the field as outweighed by his complaining and negativity and didn’t want him back.  Once he was gone, the staff openly told reporters that EVEN AFTER WINS he’d whine when he didn’t get the ball enough.

Ever play on a team with a guy like that?  If you have you understand why he’s not in Miami. And you understand why as soon as he left they talked crap about him to the media.  It’s because when you have a guy like that on your team everybody hates him.

Bad knee or not there’s no way something doesn’t frustrate Ajayi over a 17 week season and if he reacts like he did in Miami its not hard to imagine him alienating himself from a lockerroom and coaching staff that just took their good team chemistry all the way to a Super Bowl.
I partially agree with this. I think Mia was just a horrible environment for Ajayi overall from locker room standpoint and all. I think people talking trash on you after you leave honestly are a bunch of ####***. Be a real man and if you don't like someone tell it to their face. I'm by all means not trying to defend Ajayi's behavior but no one really mentioned anything earth shattering. Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald I believe wrote a story after Ajayi was traded but basically didn't blame Ajayi for the whole mess. Said from top the bottom the organization needed wholesale changes. The only thing he said about Ajayi was about him practicing and stuff but it's hard to practice everyday when your knee hurts. Hence why in Philly he hasn't been practicing all the time. I know one of the Eagles assistant coach's (Went to HS in my area around the same time I did and I work with his mom. He's been telling me everyone loves Ajayi from Lurie to the coaches and his teammates and he's been helping Clement. The Eagles Locker room is very strong. There were problems with Kendricks' he told me and the team kept moving along. Eric Rowe was traded for attitude issues and making the same mistakes over again. 

Also in terms of complaining not getting the ball I'm happy when a guy wants to touch the ball more. Give me a Jay Ajayi over Sam (I hurt myself and I hate people booing me when I perform Bad) Bradford any day of the week. I mean I'd be depressed in Mia too if my QB was Ryan Tannenhill and then he's out for the year and gets replace by Jay Cutler. The Eagles locker room is a strong one. I don't think one malcontent is gonna disrupt that. They'd have to be TO like in order to do that. I want a guy who wants to tout the rock every offensive play. 

I felt like ajayi looked pouty on sideline during first half during a couple closeups.  

Darren Sproles (hamstring) was downgraded to "DNP" in Thursday's practice.

That's usually a bad sign, but it is possible the Eagles are just managing their 35-year-old COP back's reps. Friday will tell the tale.
Were Sproles to miss, Clement becomes a more interesting dart throw for Sunday.  We will see what happens.

I will probably change my tune on Clement if Sproles isn't able to last this season. Sproles accounted for 20% of the targets in week 1 and with Pumphrey not on the team anymore there is no obvious pass catching replacement for Sproles on the roster. If Clement could see 3-4 targets a game he could enter flex territory in PPR. 

I will probably change my tune on Clement if Sproles isn't able to last this season. Sproles accounted for 20% of the targets in week 1 and with Pumphrey not on the team anymore there is no obvious pass catching replacement for Sproles on the roster. If Clement could see 3-4 targets a game he could enter flex territory in PPR. 
If Sproles has the usage he did last Week I don't see him holding up a whole season. I can see Clement being a sneaky Flex play at least in the 2nd half. 

Darren Sproles (hamstring) is out for Week 2 against the Buccaneers.

Alston Jeffery (shoulder) and Carson Wentz (knee) were also ruled out. Sproles quietly played 29-of-71 offensive snaps in Week 1, leaving an ample amount of opportunity open for Jay Ajayi, Corey Clement, and Wendell Smallwood. The latter two would likely shore up Sproles' 21 passing routes with Ajayi staying an early-down and goal-line horse.

Dropped him for Lindsay in a PPR, as I think Lindsay had some juice and based on last week for both Lindsay and Clement, Lindsay had more of a trajectory (albeit still a lower one) of being a higher floor flex play than Clement.

If Sproles is out for a longer term, this conception flips for me.

I think.

How serious do we think Sproles's hammy issue going to be going forward? 

Dropped him for Lindsay in a PPR, as I think Lindsay had some juice and based on last week for both Lindsay and Clement, Lindsay had more of a trajectory (albeit still a lower one) of being a higher floor flex play than Clement.

If Sproles is out for a longer term, this conception flips for me.

I think.

How serious do we think Sproles's hammy issue going to be going forward? 
I did the exact same thing STC, player for player.  I just tried to find another drop to add Clement back.  Anybody's guess on the Sproles hammy.

If Clement can't do much today with Ajayi out (for now at least) and Sproles out, what does that mean for him?

Talking fantasy of course.

Users who are viewing this thread