What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

cousins out? (1 Viewer)

MIN has to consider next year too. I love me some Cousins, but he's 35 and an achilles isn't the best injury at that age. I'd go get Brissett on the cheap since his deal ends this year. That way they aren't locked into anything in the future. Probably only cost a 4th rounder. WAS can pull Fromm up from the practice squad since their year is poo.

Most likely outcome I think is Jaren Hall starts until Mullens is back. They sign a free agent this week to serve as the backup until Mullens comes off IR.

The injury might increase the likelihood that Cousins signs a deal to return to the Vikings next year if other teams avoid him in free agency due to the injury.

The team is still looking for their future QB unless Jaren Hall impresses the next couple of weeks.

Most likely outcome I think is Jaren Hall starts until Mullens is back. They sign a free agent this week to serve as the backup until Mullens comes off IR.

The injury might increase the likelihood that Cousins signs a deal to return to the Vikings next year if other teams avoid him in free agency due to the injury.

The team is still looking for their future QB unless Jaren Hall impresses the next couple of weeks.
This is what I expect to happen as well.

I'm not excited about it but so it goes.

Why not offer a later round pick for Brissett? 4th? They were on a roll and someone like him could steady the ship.

I'm not sure Brissett does much of anything over Mullens. Mullens has to get healthy but they traded to get Mullens to be the backup. Of course the hope was always as a fill in if Cousins were to miss a couple of games and be back. Many of the local fans don't want to see them trade any draft capital. They would rather lose the rest of their games to get a better pick to draft a rookie QB next year.

MIN has to consider next year too. I love me some Cousins, but he's 35 and an achilles isn't the best injury at that age. I'd go get Brissett on the cheap since his deal ends this year. That way they aren't locked into anything in the future. Probably only cost a 4th rounder. WAS can pull Fromm up from the practice squad since their year is poo.
I think there are worse injuries for a 35 yr old QB that isn't a runner. This one shouldn't really hurt him moving forward for next year. It takes awhile to rehab (unless you believe Rodgers) but after that it really shouldn't affect his performance any more than just being a year older.

it might actually "help" the Vikes as they can likely get him for cheaper now for the next 2-3 years. Doesn't help their longterm outlook but it should make him affordable to come back (if they want him).

I'm not sure Brissett does much of anything over Mullens. Mullens has to get healthy but they traded to get Mullens to be the backup. Of course the hope was always as a fill in if Cousins were to miss a couple of games and be back. Many of the local fans don't want to see them trade any draft capital. They would rather lose the rest of their games to get a better pick to draft a rookie QB next year.
The Vikings burned a 1st round pick trading for Sam Bradford when Teddy Bridgewater was injured. Thus the trepidation involved with such ideas.

There have been rumors about the Vikings possibly trading for Kyler Murray even before the season started. In part due to the Vikings not signing Kirk Cousins to a long term contract.

Not sure if this is anything more than sports writers needing something to write about though. That seems pretty unlikely since Murray hasn't been cleared to play yet and I don't know if the Vikings are actually interested in paying what it would cost in terms of draft picks and Murrays contract.

Oh I think Brissett offers a lot more than.Mullins. I believe he would be steady Eddie.

Honestly the ramp up for a new QB to learn the system so long I kind of doubt anyone outside of who they have on tap is an option.

Maybe McCoy since he played with KOC before would be a fit for more depth.

Perhaps a trade for Tannehill for the rest of the season would benefit both teams - allow Tennessee to see what their future looks like with Levis and Malik and provide Minnesota a stopgap solution at QB. If Levis performs well Thursday, Tannehill could be a bench player for Tennessee.

Lots of fan talk not in favor of trading anything for someone who keeps them in the playoff hunt but not good enough to take them anywhere in the playoffs. Fans would rather be bad so they are in a better position to draft a rookie QB next year. I still believe the most likely outcome is the Vikings sign a free agent (they need a backup for next week) and it's Hall and then Mullens, when he comes off IR or Hall if he looks remotely adequate. I think trading for or adding a free agent they would start over what they have is a long shot. Word locally was the teams was feeling good about Mullens as a backup during preseason.

I look at it this way, if you trade for a Brissett type, how far do you expect to go in the playoffs if you make it? May as well roll with what you have. I would be mildly surprised if they did more than add Sean Manion to play QB2 until Mullens returns.

Other ideas...

Davis Mills
Tyler Huntley
Tom Brady (now that would jack up the fan base)
I really like Huntley and was going to post the same name. When he’s been called upon when Jackson has missed, he seemed to do so with no drop off and his running ability is a nice upgade when pocket collapses.

Lots of fan talk not in favor of trading anything for someone who keeps them in the playoff hunt but not good enough to take them anywhere in the playoffs. Fans would rather be bad so they are in a better position to draft a rookie QB next year. I still believe the most likely outcome is the Vikings sign a free agent (they need a backup for next week) and it's Hall and then Mullens, when he comes off IR or Hall if he looks remotely adequate. I think trading for or adding a free agent they would start over what they have is a long shot. Word locally was the teams was feeling good about Mullens as a backup during preseason.

I look at it this way, if you trade for a Brissett type, how far do you expect to go in the playoffs if you make it? May as well roll with what you have. I would be mildly surprised if they did more than add Sean Manion to play QB2 until Mullens returns.
I disagree. They are playing well and would like to continue to do so. This isn’t fantasy football where teams start to look at April In October.

Other ideas...

Davis Mills
Tyler Huntley
Tom Brady (now that would jack up the fan base)
I remember when I wanted the Vikes to draft Kellen Mond over Davis Mills. I thought Mills didn't have a NFL caliber arm. Still do.
I don't watch college ball but I remember Mills at his pro day and IIRC he killed it. Was very impressed. Was hoping they would land him after seeing that. Never really watched him in the short time he played either though.

Another consideration is Justin Jefferson. How's that relationship going to turn if the team just plays out the season with garbage at the QB position? And if they do will they be able to land one of those 2 top QBs?

Another consideration is Justin Jefferson. How's that relationship going to turn if the team just plays out the season with garbage at the QB position? And if they do will they be able to land one of those 2 top QBs?
He'll be fine if they get a nice QB next year.

Super interested to see what shakes out with Cousins. Can go a lot of ways with him

He'll be fine if they get a nice QB next year.

Super interested to see what shakes out with Cousins. Can go a lot of ways with him
Word is he already turned down big money with a stable QB situation. I'm concerned if he decides the grass is greener elsewhere.

I think its tricky for the Vikings from a psychological perspective also.

If they go with the QBs they have but don't do well then the players on the team may wonder why they didnt try to do something to improve their chances at winning.

On the other hand bringing in another QB sends a message that they don't trust the QBs they have and have mismanaged the team by not having a good enough plan B. Then if the QB they bring in doesn't play well, some players might wish they just stuck with what they had.

Both have the potential to hurt the teams morale.

The whole mantra about brotherhood and playing your best for your teammates tells me they have a better chance of the team getting behind the QBs they have for better or worse.

The bottom line is having whoever it is perform well. Winning solves everything either way they go.

Last edited:
I mean, me personally, I'd be trying like hell to get Kyler if he's even available. But I think he's a very good player, who has dealt with the worst coaching in the NFL his entire career. Give him an OL, and Jefferson/Addison/Hock (which is a lot better than in his best year when he had Hopkins/Kirk/Ertz) and he might be a top guy long-term. That makes more sense to me than hoping for either a rookie next offseason or running it back with Cousins post-Achilles.

Or, get gutting now. Trade Danielle Hunter, Harrison Smith, Jordan Hicks, Ezra Cleveland, and get more ammo for the future.

I think if they just roll with Mullens/Hall, this is a team finishing with 6 wins.

They have Mannion on the practice squad right now. My guess is he will be activated for this week to be the backup and then Mullens will be the backup/starter to Hall for the rest of the year. I think they can mess with the offense a little to use Hall's mobility. Not expecting much but now it is "playing with house money" since I'm not expecting much so anything good is gravy. I remember Kirk saying before last year how complex the offense is and I don't see anyone learning it quickly enough to be any better than Mullens, so I think a trade would be a waste of draft picks.

Just stinks so bad because (and NOBODY is saying it) but Kirk was having an MVP caliber season! Finally a second year with the same coordinator/offense and this happens...They finally appear to have corrected the ball security issues and the defense is really playing well.

Users who are viewing this thread