What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid and School This Fall (1 Viewer)

I am just pointing out differences and do not think it would work well to try to do both at once.  Make no mistake, I want to get back in the classroom.  I want the personal interaction.  I thrive in the classroom environment and did not particularly care for the virtual setting.  My order of preference would be:  

full return (if possible) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  fully remote >>>>>  hybrid  >  your suggestion of simultaneous remote and on site. 

I can't speak for everybody, but very little of my instruction revolves around me at the front of the class.  I try to maintain a much more collaborative environment where students are learning with each other and from each other.  I try to let students discover relationships and laws of nature through our experimental and practical experiences.  This is the true nature of science.  I very rarely give lectures, notes, or slide presentation stuff.
so you're saying if the school decides to go in person and some parents don't want to send their kids in, they get no form of learning from the school?  it really makes no difference to me as I'm all for sending my kids in provided the virus is under control.  but there's going to be a pretty vocal minority that's not going to be pleased.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to stop responding to this thread. I'm coming off as condescending and rigid to other viewpoints and that's not cool. This is obviously an extremely difficult position for all parents. I apologize for my tone. This whole situation just has me really irritable and angry at alot of humans right now. 😐
I find that in depressing times a fresh hair cut and a cold Busch Light cheers me up. 

so you're saying if the school decides to go in person and some parents don't want to send their kids in, they get no form of learning from the school?
I don't think that would ever happen.  I think districts are going to try to provide alternatives, but I think those alternatives are going to be inferior to the "in school" experience and I think it will really strain district resources to try and do so...we haven't even brought up special needs students yet.  That is a whole other animal to figure out in the remote learning environment.   

If you are asking me personally, I do sort of agree with your statement (although that wasn't the point of my previous post).  If the school is open for in person business, then people have access to a public education as the law requires.  Should they choose not to take advantage of that public offering, they can choose other options (home schooling and private schools).  But I personally do not think it should be incumbent upon the schools to take extraordinary means to accommodate everyone's different wants and desires.  A public education must be available.  I do not think it should be required to be available in multiple formats.  If districts have the means and desire to offer different platforms simultaneously, great...go for it.  I wouldn't stand in the way.  My preference, again is to be in person in school.  My least desirable situation is to have to try and accommodate a multitude of platforms at the same time.  If I am required to do the latter, I do not think I would be as effective as an educator.  

Cjw_55106 said:
If they go on-line, they need to have live classes IMO. My youngest had at most, a half hour of work to do each day. It was a complete waste of time. 
The issues for at home learning start with the fact many do not even log on. 

I agree with you that even at home it should somehow be a live environment. Maybe the teachers should teach in the classroom and half the kids inside on Monday, other Half Tuesday but Live ALL the Time, you don't log in and turn on Khan Academy for example for 30 minutes and log off, you are on live all day or for several hours so they feel like they are still on the hook to learn. I think parents will find how difficult it is to get the students to pay attention at home and pretty quickly will push for them to be at the school every day. 

Distance learning sounds great and likely is for some but a lot of students will fail miserably without the structure and environment a school can bring. 

Home schooling is an entirely different topic but I would imagine many parents are starting to consider it. 

timschochet said:
LAUSD (Los Angeles) will not have live classes this fall. Or San Diego. 
I undertstand part of LA's decision was the threat of striking teachers?

And Orange County just voted to have in person classes with no distancing and no mask requirements.  Business as usual.  

OC is a current hot spot.  Its also going to get very political and contensious, I think, since although OC is represented by Democrats at the federal level and the state govenor is a Democrat, most of the OC board members are Republican and several are vocal Trump supporters.  

I undertstand part of LA's decision was the threat of striking teachers?

And Orange County just voted to have in person classes with no distancing and no mask requirements.  Business as usual.  

OC is a current hot spot.  Its also going to get very political and contensious, I think, since although OC is represented by Democrats at the federal level and the state govenor is a Democrat, most of the OC board members are Republican and several are vocal Trump supporters.  
The Orange County thing is not quite that simple (source: I am in Orange County) - what happened was the Orange County Board of Education voted to endorse no restrictions, no masks, full return to school - quite frankly a lot of the meeting was a joke - 30 minutes for public comment and they decided to not read any of the public comments that they solicited. They received over 2500 written comments.

Within Orange County, our school district sent out several notices clearing up the confusion that any decision from the Orange County Board was non-binding, and that our Locally-elected school boards and superintendents will approve and implement plans specific to their districts based on the needs of their schools and communities.

In particular, our district remains committed to following guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health and the Orange County Health Care Agency. The Orange County Department of Education has also worked with local school districts leaders to develop “Orange County Together: A guide to safely reopening schools in the COVID-19 era,” which is based on guidance from the CDPH.

Article from local reporters on the Orange County Board vote

shadyridr said:
I wish we had the option to choose. I'd definitely choose 100% in person learning. His education is much too important for such a miniscule risk and remote learning was a huge fail for him last year. He's going into junior high school and has an IEP.
Just one school district, but we were given the choice to go fully online learning or fully in person. We have to tell them this week and commit to the decision for the first half of the school year. We are doing online, but I also appreciate that some kids need school open for many reasons that aren’t factors here for us. Besides feeling like the virus is still a big threat, I think it makes sense to not crowd the schools for parents/kids who don’t have the option of doing online.

The Orange County thing is not quite that simple (source: I am in Orange County) - what happened was the Orange County Board of Education voted to endorse no restrictions, no masks, full return to school - quite frankly a lot of the meeting was a joke - 30 minutes for public comment and they decided to not read any of the public comments that they solicited. They received over 2500 written comments.

Within Orange County, our school district sent out several notices clearing up the confusion that any decision from the Orange County Board was non-binding, and that our Locally-elected school boards and superintendents will approve and implement plans specific to their districts based on the needs of their schools and communities.

In particular, our district remains committed to following guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health and the Orange County Health Care Agency. The Orange County Department of Education has also worked with local school districts leaders to develop “Orange County Together: A guide to safely reopening schools in the COVID-19 era,” which is based on guidance from the CDPH.

:goodposting:   Thanks, that is helpful.  May I ask what district you are in?

Of course I want my kid back in school full time, but also need it to be done safely for everyone involved.  Whatever our district decides will directly affect us in many ways. My ex-wife works for the district that my kid goes too.  She does have an underlying condition so even if they do open they may not allow her back.  She got paid to stay home the last few months of last school year which made it easy for our kid to do virtual school.  And my ex MIL is a lunch lady as well.  Gives her something to do since she retired.

I hate that school districts are making reopening plans based on survey results.   Sorry, but most parents aren't qualified to make judgments about how to safely open a school.  We don't do surveys about what to teach.  Why would we do a survey about the best way to stop the spread of an infectious disease?  Half of these idiot parents are getting their information from facebook posts.   

I hate that school districts are making reopening plans based on survey results.   Sorry, but most parents aren't qualified to make judgments about how to safely open a school.  We don't do surveys about what to teach.  Why would we do a survey about the best way to stop the spread of an infectious disease?  Half of these idiot parents are getting their information from facebook posts.  
I can't imagine the districts are actually basing anything off of those results. 

They're making parents feel like they have a voice.  They're all answering based off of their own personal perspectives and needs anyway.  They aren't thinking about what's the best way to stop the spread of COVID.  We all know what the answer to that riddle is.

Our county just kicked the can two weeks to 8/24.  "Stay tuned everyone!  Hope you weren't planning on returning to work!"

I can't imagine the districts are actually basing anything off of those results. 

They're making parents feel like they have a voice.  They're all answering based off of their own personal perspectives and needs anyway.  They aren't thinking about what's the best way to stop the spread of COVID.  We all know what the answer to that riddle is.

Our county just kicked the can two weeks to 8/24.  "Stay tuned everyone!  Hope you weren't planning on returning to work!"
The update we got said the district was basing its decision on survey results which included 70% of responses favoring opening schools.  You could see the bias in the district's decision, though, because they then said 21% were undecided, and 14% of the "undecided" were against any in-person instruction.   Not sure how you paint an unequivocal no as "undecided."

The surveys/plans I've seen aren't "should we open schools or not?". They're asking if they need to do a mix of in person and remote learning, what sort of schedule would be preferred by parents (alternating dates, alternating weeks, etc). But they're also gauging  interest because if they know that only half the kids are to be expected in schools if they're open, that is a huge difference in how they can actually come up with that plan 

The schools/states are going to be the ones to make the call, of course. 

My daughter is at a Private Catholic high school, current plan is to set it up that they can social distance on campus and in class by splitting the students in to two groups with one on campus M-Tu, the other Th-Fri, and swapping on W.  I know the school has also started football practice, with cohorts of I think 12 kids and 1 coach practicing separately from each other.

We'll see if that plan sticks, as Bay Area cases are spiking right now.  The good news is that they did a really good job in the spring of pivoting to remote learning, with the kids on a normal schedule, taking attendance, taking tests, etc.  The bad news is that I'm starting to fear that my kid and her friends will be the second group of seniors to basically miss out on any sort of a normal senior year.  

:goodposting:   Thanks, that is helpful.  May I ask what district you are in?

Of course I want my kid back in school full time, but also need it to be done safely for everyone involved.  Whatever our district decides will directly affect us in many ways. My ex-wife works for the district that my kid goes too.  She does have an underlying condition so even if they do open they may not allow her back.  She got paid to stay home the last few months of last school year which made it easy for our kid to do virtual school.  And my ex MIL is a lunch lady as well.  Gives her something to do since she retired.
I'm in Orange Unified. I'll have one in elementary school, one in middle school (which is a charter school, so it appears they are slightly playing by their own rules a bit) and one in high school.

The district board has their meeting on the 24th. I know the high school principals had a meeting today - I've yet had a chance to get some insight into what was discussed, etc.

We've received multiple surveys about what we would like to see as far as return to school, but thus far I would say that the surveys have been poorly designed at best, intentionally misleading at worst. I'd like to think it is the former to keep a positive perspective, but I'm not naive enough to believe that there were not at least elements of the latter.

Regarding the charter school, earlier in June we received some surveys from the school (not the district), and essentially they presented families with two options for their kids - either all online, or a hybrid model, with the hybrid model either being going to class Monday/Tuesday or Wednesday/Thursday, all students remote Friday. You would attend half your classes on one day (say 1st-3rd period) and the other half the second day. This would encompass a full school day, so about 8:15 to 3:00 when in attendance.

Essentially we were asked to choose the preferred option for our kids, along with what days if you opted for the hybrid model. There were of course no details on how the hybrid would work (ie are remote days still calling in to the class or is it basically work from home days, is there any crossover between all online and hybrid, etc.) Basically the only guideline was that if you chose online only, you couldn't take certain electives that require in person attendance (specifically woodshop, but there were probably a couple other classes that fell into this). Also no details on if each class would be roughly 2 hours each in the class room, or would they be broken up a bit to lessen the amount of time of being indoors. Knowing that the most likely cause of spread is prolonged indoor exposure, I'm not thrilled with the idea of 2 hours in the same classroom when they have not yet clarified how they would maintain social distancing and what mask protocol would be.

Much like you, my preference would be for the kids to be back in school full time, if I feel it is being done safely for not just the kids but also the staff. My kids would prefer to be at school, but (and I know I've shared this before a few times), that is more for social reasons (my middle one being the slight exception) - if it can't be at least close to full time and safe, then my oldest and youngest absolutely prefer the all online approach, as do I and I'm fully prepared to put in the extra effort to help with that. My middle son very much likes the interaction with the teacher and would prefer to at least have some time at school to be with the teachers (though I think a more structured online program with a bit more "classroom" time would suffice, something that did not happen consistently for all classes at the end of last year, though I feel that was to be expected under the circumstances).

Since we have been a bit more liberal than some (yet a lot more strict than many) in allowing them to see some friends (for all it's a smaller group of friends with families we know have been fairly cautious as well, almost all outdoors - biking, beach, etc.), they are not having any of the ill effects I hear some complain about with the "isolation" of not being able to see their friends. But that is a parenting decision some are making as far as what levels of interaction they are willing to allow for their children, it is a decision that I will not question any parent making for the safety of their own children, but by the same token I think it is something that, with reasonable precautions, can be mitigated in a much safer manner than full blown school by setting up smaller social interactions on their own for their kids. Obviously that is a completely different topic and I don't mean it to sound like I am lessening or dismissing anyone who is (or has kids) dealing with issues from the isolation, I just think that using socialization as a major justification for opening schools is a poor reason.

NYC survey was so biased. Main question was which option do you prefer: hybrid plan (few days in person, few days home), hybrid plan (one week in person, one week home), or full remote.

No choice to select full in person. Guessing they feared majority would pick that choice.

NYC survey was so biased. Main question was which option do you prefer: hybrid plan (few days in person, few days home), hybrid plan (one week in person, one week home), or full remote.

No choice to select full in person. Guessing they feared majority would pick that choice.
Or, maybe they realized full in-person was not feasible while keeping within health guidelines for social distancing/masks indoors.

:shrug:

I think everyone wants to go back to school.  But the issue is what constitutes safely going back to school in the midst of a pandemic.

Or, maybe they realized full in-person was not feasible while keeping within health guidelines for social distancing/masks indoors.

:shrug:

I think everyone wants to go back to school.  But the issue is what constitutes safely going back to school in the midst of a pandemic.
I forget the school district, but one official was on saying the guidelines may be 6 feet but with full classes everyday they have 18 inches. Most schools don't have the space to safely open with a normal schedule for everyone.

I forget the school district, but one official was on saying the guidelines may be 6 feet but with full classes everyday they have 18 inches. Most schools don't have the space to safely open with a normal schedule for everyone.
They're certainly going to have to get creative.   Using the cafeteria, gymnasium, library and other common spaces for classes should be a given.  As long as the weather cooperates, classes outside should be considered.  

We are looking at a hybrid model - 2 days in person, 3 at home. Parents who do not want to send their kids at all will be offfered full remote learning.

It depends on how our latest survey comes back if we will be able to offer full time in person to any. It’s a numbers/space game. We cannot meet social distancing guidelines and have everyone back full time. 10 to 15 students will likely report to a room and teachers will rotate to them all day. Meals will be eaten in the room. Even then, contact tracing will suck when we get a positive student/staff and that cohort will have to stay home until cleared.

There is also a teacher shortage and if we have too many opt to take leave or just not return that’s going to be a major problem.

It’s nobody’s first choice. We want nothing more than to open full time as normal but that is just not going to happen. However, at least in our case, I am confident the at-home instruction will be much better than the spring when we had to jump into this with 1 day to prepare.

In Miami, the surveys were important because they needed to know whether to expect specific schools to be above or below 75% capacity. If it's below, they have the capability of bringing students back full time. If above, they have to go to some sort of hybrid schedule in order to be able to maintain any semblance of social distancing.

Of course, the way things are going none of the surveys will even matter, because as long as Miami is one of the country's biggest hot spots it's hard to imagine schools reopening at all.

Santa Ana Unified, one of the larger school districts in Orange County has opted to start the year fully remote - they are also delaying the start of the school year to early September to allow faculty ample time to prepare for full time online instruction. I've not seen the details yet on how they are doing this (teachers on site streaming classes, teachers from home, mandatory online class time, post assignments and have "office" hours, etc.) but as they are one of the larger in the county, it would not be a stretch to see many of the other districts follow their lead.

The surveys/plans I've seen aren't "should we open schools or not?". They're asking if they need to do a mix of in person and remote learning, what sort of schedule would be preferred by parents (alternating dates, alternating weeks, etc). But they're also gauging  interest because if they know that only half the kids are to be expected in schools if they're open, that is a huge difference in how they can actually come up with that plan 

The schools/states are going to be the ones to make the call, of course. 
Good points. Ours also asked about masks. 

i.e.  Will you return to in person school if masks are required? 
Will you if masks are not required?

We have over 4000 kids at our local high school.  I just cant imagine going longer than a few days with a complete shutdown.  No way to space the kids out unless they go to 3 days a week for A-M and two days a week for N-Z and flip flop them every other week.   All of the kids have a laptop in our district so they can do virtual learning.   It is just a hot mess.

What happened in the spring caught everyone off guard.

Even with 6 months or so of preparation this fall is still going to be chaotic.

Relax. Nobody is trying to get-over on anyone here.  We’re trying.
i understand that.  just know that parents like me who have worked through this whole thing while also watching our young kids are losing our minds.  they are saying all the right things about the kids going back next month but we will see. 

My kids (7th and 3rd) are going to be online for the fall semester, then we'll reevaluate for the spring.  With the cluster going on here in Florida, it's what we feel comfortable with.  We have a three year old that will be in a pre- K montessori program with some pretty stringent rules.  All the kids have to wear masks, the classes are a third of the size they normally are and they are asking for families to help build tables to create outdoor working areas.  Firing up the table saw and power tools this weekend to make a few tables for them.

Democrats in Congress have proposed giving billions of dollars to our nation’s public schools to help them make the necessary conversions to allow for social distancing, screening of students, etc. Republicans are opposed so it’s not going anywhere. 

Why are Republicans opposed to this? 

Democrats in Congress have proposed giving billions of dollars to our nation’s public schools to help them make the necessary conversions to allow for social distancing, screening of students, etc. Republicans are opposed so it’s not going anywhere. 

Why are Republicans opposed to this? 
It's never that simple and you know it. Take this where it belongs.

It's never that simple and you know it. Take this where it belongs.
It belongs here. If you want schools to open they need money to do it. Seems pretty simple to me. 
And I’m trying to understand. This shouldn’t be a political issue, yet it’s become one. 

It belongs here. If you want schools to open they need money to do it. Seems pretty simple to me. 
And I’m trying to understand. This shouldn’t be a political issue, yet it’s become one. 
If you're going to try and state things as simply as you did, it invites people to explain all the BS and caveats that come with the Dems plan. That discussion does not belong here. Quit playing naive. You know this.

If you're going to try and state things as simply as you did, it invites people to explain all the BS and caveats that come with the Dems plan. That discussion does not belong here. Quit playing naive. You know this.
Sigh. I don’t want to discuss politics with you. I just want the schools to have money to make these changes. The only proposal I’ve seen to make that happen comes from the Democrats. If you don’t like that let’s find another way to get it done. But we’re running out of time. 

Sigh. I don’t want to discuss politics with you. I just want the schools to have money to make these changes. The only proposal I’ve seen to make that happen comes from the Democrats. If you don’t like that let’s find another way to get it done. But we’re running out of time. 
I don't care whose idea it is to fund education, I'd like it to be done too. And without ramming through pet projects or throwing in unrelated legislation that only serves agendas. If you want to discuss the "Why" of how come it's not happening, you have to take it elsewhere.

We have over 4000 kids at our local high school.  I just cant imagine going longer than a few days with a complete shutdown.  No way to space the kids out unless they go to 3 days a week for A-M and two days a week for N-Z and flip flop them every other week.   All of the kids have a laptop in our district so they can do virtual learning.   It is just a hot mess.
Yep - I just don't see how this will work out.  I've yet to get good answers to things like:

• what happens if your kid displays symptoms while at school?  what about a fever?
  • what happens if your kid tests positive?  How long do they have to stay home?  Do they do online learning or will assignments be sent home?  What about their siblings?  what about the kids they've had classes with?
  • what happens if a teacher contracts it?  Do we have enough subs to cover?
  • what happens if the principle and leaders in the school contract it?  How do they cover that?
I'm not saying we can't/shouldn't open but it would be comforting to know they have some plans/guidelines and right now I get the impression we are flying by the seat of our pants like in March.

Yep - I just don't see how this will work out.  I've yet to get good answers to things like:

• what happens if your kid displays symptoms while at school?  what about a fever?
  • what happens if your kid tests positive?  How long do they have to stay home?  Do they do online learning or will assignments be sent home?  What about their siblings?  what about the kids they've had classes with?
  • what happens if a teacher contracts it?  Do we have enough subs to cover?
  • what happens if the principle and leaders in the school contract it?  How do they cover that?
I'm not saying we can't/shouldn't open but it would be comforting to know they have some plans/guidelines and right now I get the impression we are flying by the seat of our pants like in March.
Wouldn't the answers to these be the same as to the answers for a child or teacher getting the flu?

Take the funding from the teachers who refuse to return to work.  Problem solved. 

I'm in Orange Unified. I'll have one in elementary school, one in middle school (which is a charter school, so it appears they are slightly playing by their own rules a bit) and one in high school.

The district board has their meeting on the 24th. I know the high school principals had a meeting today - I've yet had a chance to get some insight into what was discussed, etc.

We've received multiple surveys about what we would like to see as far as return to school, but thus far I would say that the surveys have been poorly designed at best, intentionally misleading at worst. I'd like to think it is the former to keep a positive perspective, but I'm not naive enough to believe that there were not at least elements of the latter.

Regarding the charter school, earlier in June we received some surveys from the school (not the district), and essentially they presented families with two options for their kids - either all online, or a hybrid model, with the hybrid model either being going to class Monday/Tuesday or Wednesday/Thursday, all students remote Friday. You would attend half your classes on one day (say 1st-3rd period) and the other half the second day. This would encompass a full school day, so about 8:15 to 3:00 when in attendance.

Essentially we were asked to choose the preferred option for our kids, along with what days if you opted for the hybrid model. There were of course no details on how the hybrid would work (ie are remote days still calling in to the class or is it basically work from home days, is there any crossover between all online and hybrid, etc.) Basically the only guideline was that if you chose online only, you couldn't take certain electives that require in person attendance (specifically woodshop, but there were probably a couple other classes that fell into this). Also no details on if each class would be roughly 2 hours each in the class room, or would they be broken up a bit to lessen the amount of time of being indoors. Knowing that the most likely cause of spread is prolonged indoor exposure, I'm not thrilled with the idea of 2 hours in the same classroom when they have not yet clarified how they would maintain social distancing and what mask protocol would be.

Much like you, my preference would be for the kids to be back in school full time, if I feel it is being done safely for not just the kids but also the staff. My kids would prefer to be at school, but (and I know I've shared this before a few times), that is more for social reasons (my middle one being the slight exception) - if it can't be at least close to full time and safe, then my oldest and youngest absolutely prefer the all online approach, as do I and I'm fully prepared to put in the extra effort to help with that. My middle son very much likes the interaction with the teacher and would prefer to at least have some time at school to be with the teachers (though I think a more structured online program with a bit more "classroom" time would suffice, something that did not happen consistently for all classes at the end of last year, though I feel that was to be expected under the circumstances).

Since we have been a bit more liberal than some (yet a lot more strict than many) in allowing them to see some friends (for all it's a smaller group of friends with families we know have been fairly cautious as well, almost all outdoors - biking, beach, etc.), they are not having any of the ill effects I hear some complain about with the "isolation" of not being able to see their friends. But that is a parenting decision some are making as far as what levels of interaction they are willing to allow for their children, it is a decision that I will not question any parent making for the safety of their own children, but by the same token I think it is something that, with reasonable precautions, can be mitigated in a much safer manner than full blown school by setting up smaller social interactions on their own for their kids. Obviously that is a completely different topic and I don't mean it to sound like I am lessening or dismissing anyone who is (or has kids) dealing with issues from the isolation, I just think that using socialization as a major justification for opening schools is a poor reason.
:goodposting:

Thanks.  I am in the Los Alamitos SD, not sure when they are meeting.  We received surveys as well but seems like forever ago when things seemed to be calming down in CA.  Now with cases going back up I think they were outdated.

Your last paragraph is where I sit with regards to the kid and her interactions.  

My kids (7th and 3rd) are going to be online for the fall semester, then we'll reevaluate for the spring.  With the cluster going on here in Florida, it's what we feel comfortable with.  We have a three year old that will be in a pre- K montessori program with some pretty stringent rules.  All the kids have to wear masks, the classes are a third of the size they normally are and they are asking for families to help build tables to create outdoor working areas.  Firing up the table saw and power tools this weekend to make a few tables for them.
Despite my questions above, this is actually why I'm considering letting them go for now.  We have only have 1,828 confirmed cases and 48 deaths from our county (population around 250k).  I just hope if things start ramping up too much they are smart and close quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread