What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Creation vs. Evolution (2 Viewers)

Christians are 100% confident that Thor does not exist. However they do that, I do it the same way.
Wait a minute, you mean I've been carrying around this stupid F###ing hammer for three years for NOTHING?
see, everytime he's referenced thor, i've thought of a cute elizabeth shue in advertures in babysitting.

Unless you believe that by picking the wrong one you will be worse off.  But, of course, if you believe that, you'd have to believe that there is a right one, and you'd be back to square one of deciding which one to pick.
But pragmatically, it could easily be -EV to worship a god. There are many more false gods than true gods, most likely.I had this exchange on the twoplustwo forum:

Other person: If the athiest is right, the persons beliefs are irrelivent and they will rot no matter what.

But if the religious persons belief is correct the advantage of keeping that belief would be huge. (wouldnt it be something like having to catch two to a flush to win, but no one made you pay for it. Your odds of winning may be small, but why would you fold?)

Me: To make your backdoor-flush-draw analogy applicable, there'd have to be thousands of different types of draws (as there thousands of religions), and part of the problem in deciding which one to draw to, or even whether to draw at all, is that there's no good evidence about what hands rank higher than others.

For example, a folded hand might actually beat a flush. We don't know. Or maybe a spade flush is harmless, but hitting a diamond flush sends you to a worse Hell than folding would have.

It reminds one of this marvelous quote from Neil Gaiman's and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens:

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the players (i.e., everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

Or to discard the poker analogy and put things in simpler terms, your argument applies equally well to Quitzalcoatl as it does to Yahweh -- and to Baal, Odin, Jupiter, U-dimmer-an-kia, Ashtoreth, and to thousands of other gods.

Are you going to worship all of them -- just in case? See, infinite pot odds do you no good if there are infinite draws out there and you don't know which one(s) beat a folded hand, if any.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have even the slightest doubt, wouldn't it be pragmatic to just pick some faith, throw a "thank you" out every once in a while, to gain access to the afterlife?
Why would that be pragmatic? What if the One True God sends Baptists to Hell, Methodists to The Fire Swamp, and gives everyone else 71 virgin brides? By picking a faith at random, you'd have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
Well if you hit the right one you win the eternal lottery, if you hit the wrong one, you are no worse off than not believing.Unless you believe that by picking the wrong one you will be worse off. But, of course, if you believe that, you'd have to believe that there is a right one, and you'd be back to square one of deciding which one to pick.
I think that believing for the sake of some purported "reward structure" is really, really lame. Believe because you believe. Be thankful because you're thankful.

If you have even the slightest doubt, wouldn't it be pragmatic to just pick some faith, throw a "thank you" out every once in a while, to gain access to the afterlife?
Why would that be pragmatic? What if the One True God sends Baptists to Hell, Methodists to The Fire Swamp, and gives everyone else 71 virgin brides? By picking a faith at random, you'd have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
Well if you hit the right one you win the eternal lottery, if you hit the wrong one, you are no worse off than not believing.Unless you believe that by picking the wrong one you will be worse off. But, of course, if you believe that, you'd have to believe that there is a right one, and you'd be back to square one of deciding which one to pick.
I think that believing for the sake of some purported "reward structure" is really, really lame. Believe because you believe. Be thankful because you're thankful.
Oh I agree and it's not a strategy I'm advocating, but as ultra-rational, scientific people (and maybe this is where my theory falls apart, b/c I realize that I cannot understand another human being fully) would have to believe until they know otherwise.

I think that believing for the sake of some purported "reward structure" is really, really lame.
In part because people can't choose their beliefs in the first place. I couldn't believe in the Christian God even if I wanted to. I could only pretend.

Hey, maybe that's it! Maybe God wants us to be skeptical, use our brains to advance ourselves and make the world a better place and our fellow humans better for having known us, and does not want us to believe a bunch of foolish nonsense. Just to make sure we're not tempted into joining a religion just to be "pragmatic," he makes sure religion is enveloped in a lot of hellfire and brimstone.If we pass that test and don't take the easy path, then we've fulfilled the destiny that billions of years have produced, and we're "in." And He saves special punishment for those who try to force their religious views on others by invoking the power of the State.C'mon, guys, are you sure you want to run this risk? Shouldn't you just accept what science has placed in front of your eyes, ears, and brains, just to be safe? You can always say "but God created it all" and still be okay! :thumbup:

This is news to me. I believe science CAN currently explain events since the big bang. Our understanding of how we got from the big bang to today is pretty clear.
There are currently holes in the theories. They will soon be closed, but there are holes, nonetheless.
Here is another faith based statement. You are sure the holes will be closed? Are you SURE sure, or just kind of sure. On what do you place your surety?Just an observation....
The holes have been closing on a regular basis. There is no evidence before me that shows that the depth and bredth of scientific knowledge is shrinking, or slowing down.I'm also confident that computing power will continue to double every 18 months for the next several years.This IS faith, in a sense.

Unless you believe that by picking the wrong one you will be worse off.  But, of course, if you believe that, you'd have to believe that there is a right one, and you'd be back to square one of deciding which one to pick.
But pragmatically, it could easily be -EV to worship a god. There are many more false gods than true gods, most likely.I had this exchange on the twoplustwo forum:

Other person: If the athiest is right, the persons beliefs are irrelivent and they will rot no matter what.

But if the religious persons belief is correct the advantage of keeping that belief would be huge. (wouldnt it be something like having to catch two to a flush to win, but no one made you pay for it. Your odds of winning may be small, but why would you fold?)

Me: To make your backdoor-flush-draw analogy applicable, there'd have to be thousands of different types of draws (as there thousands of religions), and part of the problem in deciding which one to draw to, or even whether to draw at all, is that there's no good evidence about what hands rank higher than others.

For example, a folded hand might actually beat a flush. We don't know. Or maybe a spade flush is harmless, but hitting a diamond flush sends you to a worse Hell than folding would have.

It reminds one of this marvelous quote from Neil Gaiman's and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens:

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the players (i.e., everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

Or to discard the poker analogy and put things in simpler terms, your argument applies equally well to Quitzalcoatl as it does to Yahweh -- and to Baal, Odin, Jupiter, U-dimmer-an-kia, Ashtoreth, and to thousands of other gods.

Are you going to worship all of them -- just in case? See, infinite pot odds do you no good if there are infinite draws out there and you don't know which one(s) beat a folded hand, if any.
Well i see your point, but I think you are being a little extreme with the infinite redraws.and even a 1-outer hits once in a while. Sure, you may be drawing dead, but the cost to me is so minimal.

So pick a religion that requires the least effort if you don't want to throw much money (utility) in the pot. Pick the Tao of Marni. But pick something.

I think that believing for the sake of some purported "reward structure" is really, really lame.
In part because people can't choose their beliefs in the first place. I couldn't believe in the Christian God even if I wanted to. I could only pretend.
Actually, you could. You've just chosen not to.

Actually, you could. You've just chosen not to.
Excellent. I've been waiting for MT to get into this debate again. :popcorn:

But then you have to go to church every sunday, when you could be using that valubale time getting drunk for the early games.

I prefer Zoroaster. He's the Jesus that the modern Jesus is based on.

I couldn't believe in the Christian God even if I wanted to. I could only pretend.
This is exactly my argument with my mother! :bag: She claims I went to college and somehow "lost" my religion. When in fact, it never existed in the first place.

I couldn't believe in the Christian God even if I wanted to. I could only pretend.
This is exactly my argument with my mother! :bag: She claims I went to college and somehow "lost" my religion. When in fact, it never existed in the first place.
Good lord man, why on earth would you trouble your mother with something like that?

Christians are 100% confident that Thor does not exist. However they do that, I do it the same way.
Is there any place in the Bible that states there are no other gods? I have seen where it says "don't name other gods" or "don't place other gods before me" but not "there are no other gods."Anyone know?

Is there any place in the Bible that states there are no other gods?
On the contrary, the Bible specifically mentions other gods: Baal, Dagon, Chemosh, Nebo, and about a dozen more.

depends on how much value (utility) you can derive from ever-lasting life.
utility * probabilityIf I believe the probability to be zero, then the utility becomes irrelevant.
See, this I just cannot buy. Do you agree than humans are fallable? As such current scientific theories are fallable? I just don't see how you can reach 100% confidence without an instruction manual of the entire universe.
That covers Christians, which isn't really my issue. Thor might be the one and only God, there may be many god(s). I don't believe that, but I'm in no position to say for sure.
Without bothering to read this thread, I can only assume you are talking about Pascal's wager.My essential problem with this is as follows. It is quite possible (although I think unlikely) that faith and devotion to God will save me from the fires of Hell. However, it is also quite possible (and unlikely) that Christianity is a trick imposed by some evil higher being, and that those who renounce and defy Christ will be rewarded in eternity, and those that follow Him are doomed to suffer in perpetuity.And there are of course infinite other possibilities, none of which are verifiable, and thus none of which I believe to be more likely than any other.In other words, the best equation is not:Limit as n approaches 0 from above and m approaches infinity, m * nThe more realistic equation isaverage of all H(n), from n=0 to infinityWhere H(n) is the happiness I would derive through following Christ in scenario n and there are infinite different possible scenarios. Given that there is there are infinitely many n's where H(n) > 0 and also where H(n) < 0 (and of course plenty where H(n) =0) this is not very useful.

It's also quite possible that God's answer is, live honestly, be good, don't lie, and that He sees lying to God about your faith in Him as the worst form of dishonesty.

It's also quite possible that God's answer is, live honestly, be good, don't lie, and that He sees lying to God about your faith in Him as the worst form of dishonesty.
God actually gave separate commandments to gentiles from the jews. The noahide laws were given to Noah, who was a gentile, for the gentiles to follow. When the mosaic laws came about it was specifically for the nation of Israel. The noahide laws for everyone else were still in effect. The seven noahide laws:

Idolatry is forbidden. Man is commanded to believe in the One God alone and worship only Him.

Incestuous and adulterous relations are forbidden. Human beings are not sexual objects, nor is pleasure the ultimate goal of life.

Murder is forbidden. The life of a human being, formed in God's image, is sacred.

Cursing the name of God is forbidden. Besides honoring and respecting G-d, we learn from this precept that our speech must be sanctified, as that is the distinctive sign which separated man from the animals.

Theft is forbidden. The world is not ours to do with as we please.

Eating the flesh of a living animal is forbidden. Do not eat the severed limbs of animals or animals that were torn by other animals... Roadkill..

Mankind is commanded to establish courts of justice and a just social order to enforce the first six laws and enact any other useful laws or customs.

The other laws for the jews came later and expanded these greatly. But these laws are what the gentiles have been under since Noah.

God said his Torah (laws) was "everlasting". The idea that he came to earth as a god-man to be the end-all sacrifice for mankind's sins, and subsequently nullifying his laws, is foreign to Judaism and only something that Christians came to believe.

God actually gave separate commandments to gentiles from the jews. The noahide laws were given to Noah, who was a gentile, for the gentiles to follow. When the mosaic laws came about it was specifically for the nation of Israel. The noahide laws for everyone else were still in effect. The seven noahide laws:

Idolatry is forbidden. Man is commanded to believe in the One God alone and worship only Him.

Incestuous and adulterous relations are forbidden. Human beings are not sexual objects, nor is pleasure the ultimate goal of life.

Murder is forbidden. The life of a human being, formed in God's image, is sacred.

Cursing the name of God is forbidden. Besides honoring and respecting G-d, we learn from this precept that our speech must be sanctified, as that is the distinctive sign which separated man from the animals.

Eating the flesh of a living animal is forbidden. Do not eat the severed limbs of animals or animals that were torn by other animals... Roadkill..

Mankind is commanded to establish courts of justice and a just social order to enforce the first six laws and enact any other useful laws or customs.

The other laws for the jews came later and expanded these greatly. But these laws are what the gentiles have been under since Noah.

God said his Torah (laws) was "everlasting". The idea that he came to earth as a god-man to be the end-all sacrifice for mankind's sins, and subsequently nullifying his laws, is foreign to Judaism and only something that Christians came to believe.
And exactly where do you find these "Noahide" laws?

Unless you believe that by picking the wrong one you will be worse off. But, of course, if you believe that, you'd have to believe that there is a right one, and you'd be back to square one of deciding which one to pick.

"I'm afraid it was the Mormons. Yes, the Mormons were the correct answer. "~~Hell Coordinator, South Park

It's a jewish thing.. Sanhedrin 56–60, Yad Hazakah, Melakhim scripture. These were supposedly given to Noah and his descendents before Moses got the other commandments on Mt. Sinai. And they are "supposedly" binding to all men. The Mt. Sinai commandments and all the many commandments that went with them were specifically jewish and binding only to the nation of israel escaping Egypt.

depends on how much value (utility) you can derive from ever-lasting life.
utility * probabilityIf I believe the probability to be zero, then the utility becomes irrelevant.
See, this I just cannot buy. Do you agree than humans are fallable? As such current scientific theories are fallable? I just don't see how you can reach 100% confidence without an instruction manual of the entire universe.
That covers Christians, which isn't really my issue. Thor might be the one and only God, there may be many god(s). I don't believe that, but I'm in no position to say for sure.
Without bothering to read this thread, I can only assume you are talking about Pascal's wager.My essential problem with this is as follows. It is quite possible (although I think unlikely) that faith and devotion to God will save me from the fires of Hell. However, it is also quite possible (and unlikely) that Christianity is a trick imposed by some evil higher being, and that those who renounce and defy Christ will be rewarded in eternity, and those that follow Him are doomed to suffer in perpetuity.And there are of course infinite other possibilities, none of which are verifiable, and thus none of which I believe to be more likely than any other.In other words, the best equation is not:Limit as n approaches 0 from above and m approaches infinity, m * nThe more realistic equation isaverage of all H(n), from n=0 to infinityWhere H(n) is the happiness I would derive through following Christ in scenario n and there are infinite different possible scenarios. Given that there is there are infinitely many n's where H(n) > 0 and also where H(n) < 0 (and of course plenty where H(n) =0) this is not very useful.
Btw, I'd never even heard of Pascal's Wager before this thread. It was just something that seemed logical to me.Like you said, there may be infinite possibilities with none no more believable than the next, but if you assume infinite possibilities, isn't one correct (i.e. possible).If one is possible than why not pick one, just in case? That is, I don't buy a possiblity where the EV of H < 0 .

Like you said, there may be infinite possibilities with none no more believable than the next, but if you assume infinite possibilities, isn't one correct (i.e. possible).
Any finite number over infinity is basically 0. An asymptotic 0, but a 0 nonetheless.

If one is possible than why not pick one, just in case?
Just in case of what? For all you know, the Divine Administrator of the Universe will send all atheists to heaven and all theists to hell. Should you therefore become an atheist -- just in case?

Just in case of what? For all you know, the Divine Administrator of the Universe will send all atheists to heaven and all theists to hell. Should you therefore become an atheist -- just in case?
The muslim God might be the true God also.. and if he is, woah be unto those that followed Jesus. There is risk involved with picking any. Maybe the best way to play the game is to not play at all?

Well that doesn't quite make sense does it?Sure, your possibility is one. But in making the choice to become an atheist (just in case) that is rewarded, it implicitely acknowledges that you realize that there is someone to administer the reward.

I'm saying it doesn't make sense to believe in nothing. And the argument that maybe believing in nothing is the way to be rewarded doesn't quite fly because of what i said above.

Like you said, there may be infinite possibilities with none no more believable than the next, but if you assume infinite possibilities, isn't one correct (i.e. possible).
Any finite number over infinity is basically 0. An asymptotic 0, but a 0 nonetheless.
Yes but when you multiply that that back by infinity (enternal benefit/utility) it becomes a positive number again.

The muslim God might be the true God also.. and if he is, woah be unto those that followed Jesus. There is risk involved with picking any. Maybe the best way to play the game is to not play at all?
I've been waiting for someone to make this argument and if I missed it from someone else I apologize.If the penalty for believing in the wrong one is worse than the penalty for not believing in the right one (i.e. not believing at all) then my theory kinda falls apart.

I assume they are equal.

But if you assume the differing penalty structure, don't you implicitely believe in a correct god, now you just have to find the right one.

I believe there's some sort of afterlife or higher power - but YMMV.Live your life in a manner that harms the fewest and helps the most, hold your beliefs, and allow others to have their beliefs even if they're different from yours. We'll all find out too soon who was correct.

It's a jewish thing.. Sanhedrin 56–60, Yad Hazakah, Melakhim scripture. These were supposedly given to Noah and his descendents before Moses got the other commandments on Mt. Sinai. And they are "supposedly" binding to all men. The Mt. Sinai commandments and all the many commandments that went with them were specifically jewish and binding only to the nation of israel escaping Egypt.
So why aren't they recorded in the OT?

Sidebar: I freely admit that I'm probably not the most intelligent person here, and certainly not the most knowledgable, so if i'm just being obtuse, please feel free to tell me so and I'll take my ball and go home.

Yes but when you multiply that that back by infinity (enternal benefit/utility) it becomes a positive number again.
True, but you're still relying on a starting assumption that there even are scenarios with eternal rewards. And even then, that positive number will have a tough time competing with the aforementioned case of beer over your Sunday morning activities.

True, but you're still relying on a starting assumption that there even are scenarios with eternal rewards. And even then, that positive number will have a tough time competing with the aforementioned case of beer over your Sunday morning activities.
So you pick the one that requires you to commit the least amount of your chips. Maybe one that requires you to get drunk before the early games. The religion of DT. Maybe that one is the way, but at least you acknowledge there could be a way.

So you pick the one that requires you to commit the least amount of your chips. Maybe one that requires you to get drunk before the early games. The religion of DT. Maybe that one is the way, but at least you acknowledge there could be a way.
Why? Maurile's already established that not doing anything may have an equal chance of being right as actually actively pursuing a faith, and I've already established that doing nothing can be pragmatically more beneficial than doing anything whatsoever.Even from a logical & economic perspective, there doesn't seem to be much point.

I've been waiting for someone to make this argument and if I missed it from someone else I apologize.If the penalty for believing in the wrong one is worse than the penalty for not believing in the right one (i.e. not believing at all) then my theory kinda falls apart.

I assume they are equal.

But if you assume the differing penalty structure, don't you implicitely believe in a correct god, now you just have to find the right one.
It seems like God would rather have someone that believes in no Gods than someone who believed in a different God than him. Who knows.. "let him who thirsts, come and drink".. if you seek God, he will find you.. But when?

Tell me what to do God..

Why? Maurile's already established that not doing anything may have an equal chance of being right as actually actively pursuing a faith,
I acknowledge that it has an equal chance of being right. But you don't address the issue that if it has an equal chance of being right, than there is a right. If you realize that there is a right and doing nothing is the right thing to do fine.But.Are you still an atheist, or are you a theist that just does nothing. I submit the latter. It's a subtle difference but a difference nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread