What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (3 Viewers)

Any healthier crock-pot recipes in here?
Made this last night. It was delicious:Slow cooker Punjabi eggplant with potatoesFrom the pantry, you'll need: onion, ginger, garlic, ground cumin, ground chile pepper, garam masala, turmeric, canola oil.Ingredients2 medium eggplants, stem end removed, cut into 1/2-inch dice (approx. 10-12 cups)1 large Idaho or Yukon Gold potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice1 medium yellow or red onion, peeled and chopped1 tsp ginger paste (or grated fresh ginger root)6 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and minced1 Tbsp ground cumin1 Tbsp ground red chile pepper1 Tbsp garam masala1 tsp turmeric1/4 cup canola oil1 Tbsp kosher salt, or to taste1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, to tastebig can of garbanzo beans (optional but I loved it!)DirectionsCombine eggplant, potato, onion, ginger, garlic, jalapeño peppers, cumin, ground chile pepper, garbanzo beans (this is my alteration to the recipe) garam masala, turmeric and oil in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Stir as best you can to distribute the spices and oil. (The smaller cooker will be frighteningly full, but don't worry; the eggplant will cook down.) Cook on HIGH for 2 hours, stirring after 1 hour.After the first two hours of cooking, stir well. There should be a nice amount of moisture in the cooker, and the eggplant should have collapsed a bit. If there is plenty of liquid in the pot, continue cooking on LOW for 30 minutes, uncovered. If there's not much liquid, cook on LOW for 30 minutes with the cover on.Add the salt and cilantro, to taste. (Salt added during the cooking will draw more moisture out of the eggplant, so it's best added at the end.)Serve at room temperature, over rice or topped with raita, or make ahead

Last edited by a moderator:
Made this last night. It was delicious:Slow cooker Punjabi eggplant with potatoesFrom the pantry, you'll need: onion, ginger, garlic, ground cumin, ground chile pepper, garam masala, turmeric, canola oil.Ingredients2 medium eggplants, stem end removed, cut into 1/2-inch dice (approx. 10-12 cups)1 large Idaho or Yukon Gold potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice1 medium yellow or red onion, peeled and chopped1 tsp ginger paste (or grated fresh ginger root)6 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and minced1 Tbsp ground cumin1 Tbsp ground red chile pepper1 Tbsp garam masala1 tsp turmeric1/4 cup canola oil1 Tbsp kosher salt, or to taste1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, to tasteDirectionsCombine eggplant, potato, onion, ginger, garlic, jalapeño peppers, cumin, ground chile pepper, garam masala, turmeric and oil in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Stir as best you can to distribute the spices and oil. (The smaller cooker will be frighteningly full, but don't worry; the eggplant will cook down.) Cook on HIGH for 2 hours, stirring after 1 hour.After the first two hours of cooking, stir well. There should be a nice amount of moisture in the cooker, and the eggplant should have collapsed a bit. If there is plenty of liquid in the pot, continue cooking on LOW for 30 minutes, uncovered. If there's not much liquid, cook on LOW for 30 minutes with the cover on.Add the salt and cilantro, to taste. (Salt added during the cooking will draw more moisture out of the eggplant, so it's best added at the end.)Serve at room temperature, over rice or topped with raita, or make ahead
Sounds good!

Made this last night. It was delicious:Slow cooker Punjabi eggplant with potatoesFrom the pantry, you'll need: onion, ginger, garlic, ground cumin, ground chile pepper, garam masala, turmeric, canola oil.Ingredients2 medium eggplants, stem end removed, cut into 1/2-inch dice (approx. 10-12 cups)1 large Idaho or Yukon Gold potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice1 medium yellow or red onion, peeled and chopped1 tsp ginger paste (or grated fresh ginger root)6 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and minced1 Tbsp ground cumin1 Tbsp ground red chile pepper1 Tbsp garam masala1 tsp turmeric1/4 cup canola oil1 Tbsp kosher salt, or to taste1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, to tasteDirectionsCombine eggplant, potato, onion, ginger, garlic, jalapeño peppers, cumin, ground chile pepper, garam masala, turmeric and oil in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Stir as best you can to distribute the spices and oil. (The smaller cooker will be frighteningly full, but don't worry; the eggplant will cook down.) Cook on HIGH for 2 hours, stirring after 1 hour.After the first two hours of cooking, stir well. There should be a nice amount of moisture in the cooker, and the eggplant should have collapsed a bit. If there is plenty of liquid in the pot, continue cooking on LOW for 30 minutes, uncovered. If there's not much liquid, cook on LOW for 30 minutes with the cover on.Add the salt and cilantro, to taste. (Salt added during the cooking will draw more moisture out of the eggplant, so it's best added at the end.)Serve at room temperature, over rice or topped with raita, or make ahead
Sounds good!
I forgot to mention that I added a big can of garbanzo beans for a little extra hardiness and protein. Highly recommend doing that!

I have a great and easy recipe for chicken. Take a strip of aluminum foil. Roll it up into a ball. About the size of a golf ball. Maybe bigger. Do this three more times. So now you've got four balls of aluminum foil. Place them at the bottom of the crockpot. Get the chicken out and remove anything that may be left inside. Clean the chicken with some plain water. Generoulsly sprinkle on some Lowry's Seasoning on the chicken. Put the chicken with the breast side down on top of the balls. Put the lid on and let it cook on low for 4 - 6 hours. It's a freaking easy recipe and the chicken is tender and juicy and good. Get a Butterball whole chicken. I like them the best.
Did anyone try this? It's really easy and the chicken is excellent.

Crockpot Flank Steak

We have been pounding the crockpot lately and ran into this one. We love flank steak/skirt steak - and have always done the marinade, grilled and sliced thin. But this recipe blows the typical approach away. Highly recommend this.
Thanks for posting this. Tried twice already and very good on tortillas with guac and sour cream. I added a few chipolte peppers in adobo sauce (1/4 of small can) for a little more flavor and heat the second time. Awesome.The link is broken so here it is again:

http://www.jennablogs.com/2011/03/crockpot-flank-steak-with-homemade.html

1 flank steak (about 1-1/2 lbs.), cut in half if you have a small Crock pot

1 Tbsp. oil

1 large onion, sliced

1/3 cup water

1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies

2 Tbsp. vinegar

1 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown steak in oil. Transfer to crockpot. In the same skillet, sauté onion for a minute or two. Gradually add the water. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Pour over the flank steak. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or until the meat is tender. Slice meat and serve with the onion and pan juices.

I have a great and easy recipe for chicken. Take a strip of aluminum foil. Roll it up into a ball. About the size of a golf ball. Maybe bigger. Do this three more times. So now you've got four balls of aluminum foil. Place them at the bottom of the crockpot. Get the chicken out and remove anything that may be left inside. Clean the chicken with some plain water. Generoulsly sprinkle on some Lowry's Seasoning on the chicken. Put the chicken with the breast side down on top of the balls. Put the lid on and let it cook on low for 4 - 6 hours. It's a freaking easy recipe and the chicken is tender and juicy and good. Get a Butterball whole chicken. I like them the best.
I haven't but admittedly I missed it. Wife and I love chicken so I'll give it a try.

Firing up my brand new slow cooker for the first time.

giving the McCormicks beef stew recipe a whirl.

Only thing I'm concerned about is I used a ton of vegetables, more than what the recipe called for and didn't add any additional liquid. Hopefully there will be enough liquid in there to make it a stew and not a casserole.

I haven't but admittedly I missed it. Wife and I love chicken so I'll give it a try.
I've done this in the oven using whole lemons inside, and rubbing in salt and pepper both inside and out. Would probably rock in a slow cooker.

Got some northern bean soup w/ham hocks in the crock pot, been slow cooking for about 8 hours. Smells amazing.

Firing up my brand new slow cooker for the first time.

giving the McCormicks beef stew recipe a whirl.

Only thing I'm concerned about is I used a ton of vegetables, more than what the recipe called for and didn't add any additional liquid. Hopefully there will be enough liquid in there to make it a stew and not a casserole.
"HOOOOOOOO, you popped your cherry!" :thumbup:

Bender, if you want something really easy during the week when you're at work all day...

Buy a decent size chuck roast, a bag of baby carrots and a couple of potatoes and an onion.

Put two packages of Lipton's onion soup in the crock pot with enough water to fill the crock pot halfway.

Put the roast in, dump the bag of carrots in, and slice up the potatoes/onion and throw them in also.

Top off with several shakes of garlic powder.

When you come home, the roast will fall apart and the other stuff will be done to perfection. :thumbup:

Bender, if you want something really easy during the week when you're at work all day...Buy a decent size chuck roast, a bag of baby carrots and a couple of potatoes and an onion.Put two packages of Lipton's onion soup in the crock pot with enough water to fill the crock pot halfway.Put the roast in, dump the bag of carrots in, and slice up the potatoes/onion and throw them in also.Top off with several shakes of garlic powder.When you come home, the roast will fall apart and the other stuff will be done to perfection. :thumbup:
Thanks brother. This is what I need. I actually think I'm going to use it tomorrow too and go with something chicken related since I'm having the beef stew today.Chicken teriyaki is probably my favorite thing in the world, any experience with a teriyaki style meal in the slow cooker.It really is a bachelors dream and added bonus, it makes my apartment smell awesome all day when it usually smells like spilt beer and cans of tobacco spit.

Chicken teriyaki is probably my favorite thing in the world, any experience with a teriyaki style meal in the slow cooker.
I don't recall a specific recipe here, but it should be a piece of cake.I'd get a couple of packages of the strips of stir-fry chicken (they're usually in front of the meat counter) and just bathe them in water for a few hours just to get 'em cooked. After that, dump out all of the water, and put half a bottle of your favorite Teriyaki glaze in the crock pot. I dig Iron Chef's glazes. Dump the chicken back in, stir it up nice nice to get the chicken covered in the glaze, and cook on low for another two hours. Make a little white rice on the side and then dump the chicken and rice into one big bowl.

:moneybag:

Made beef stew for the first time ever this weekend. HFS is it good! 8 hours on low with following ingredients:2 lbs. stew beef (cubed)3 celery stalks1 onion2 large potatoes3 large carrots1 McCormick beef stew seasoning packet1 2/3 cups water. Put all veggies and beef in slow cooker. Mix seasoning mix with water. Pour into slow cooker. Done.
Sounds simple and delicious. Doing this tomorrow; adding a container of fresh mushrooms cut in half and a can of stewed tomatoes. Will scale back on the water a bit to account for the stewed tomater juice.

Made beef stew for the first time ever this weekend. HFS is it good! 8 hours on low with following ingredients:2 lbs. stew beef (cubed)3 celery stalks1 onion2 large potatoes3 large carrots1 McCormick beef stew seasoning packet1 2/3 cups water. Put all veggies and beef in slow cooker. Mix seasoning mix with water. Pour into slow cooker. Done.
Sounds simple and delicious. Doing this tomorrow; adding a container of fresh mushrooms cut in half and a can of stewed tomatoes. Will scale back on the water a bit to account for the stewed tomater juice.
Just made this and eating it now.My only complaint is the meat got pretty dried out. I guess I need to put the meat in first to keep in submerged under the liquid. All the meat over the top of liquid line is dry as all hell

Just made this and eating it now.My only complaint is the meat got pretty dried out. I guess I need to put the meat in first to keep in submerged under the liquid. All the meat over the top of liquid line is dry as all hell
Correct. I always completely drown my meat. :unsure:

BTW JB, you got me jonesing for Teriyaki chicken. Just got back from the market a little while ago. Got a couple of packages of stir-fry chicken and some of that Iron Chef Teriyaki glaze. Also got a bottle of my favorite Iron Chef glaze... General Tso.

If you've never tried that, you NEED to! It's unreal.

BTW JB, you got me jonesing for Teriyaki chicken. Just got back from the market a little while ago. Got a couple of packages of stir-fry chicken and some of that Iron Chef Teriyaki glaze. Also got a bottle of my favorite Iron Chef glaze... General Tso.

There's a brand I loved of teriyaki sauce that I could only find in Rhode Island. I don't remember the name but it came in a blue and white glass bottle.

Alright guys so the trick is making sure the meat is on the bottom? I may just dump the tomatoes in and not worry about the water and if I need to thicken up with flour at the end I can do that.

Alright guys so the trick is making sure the meat is on the bottom? I may just dump the tomatoes in and not worry about the water and if I need to thicken up with flour at the end I can do that.
If it's a big ol' roast, yes, I make sure it's on the bottom of the pot and completely submerged in water.In addition, I flip it over halfway through to ensure it cooks evenly.

Thanks. Will do- plan on eating this at like 5; throw everything in on low at like 9AM?
Yes. The timing isn't an exact science. The beauty of a crock pot is that it's very hard to overcook anything.Just make sure it's cooked enough though. Give yourself a minimum of six hours for everything.

Thanks. Will do- plan on eating this at like 5; throw everything in on low at like 9AM?
Yes. The timing isn't an exact science. The beauty of a crock pot is that it's very hard to overcook anything.Just make sure it's cooked enough though. Give yourself a minimum of six hours for everything.
Thanks, that was the last question. :) I'm not much of a cook, although I have mastered pulled pork in that thing.

Buy a decent size chuck roast, a bag of baby carrots and a couple of potatoes and an onion.Put two packages of Lipton's onion soup in the crock pot with enough water to fill the crock pot halfway.Put the roast in, dump the bag of carrots in, and slice up the potatoes/onion and throw them in also.
are the veggies and potatoes mushy when done cooking?

Very interested in hearing how this turns out

Jeebus I need a renaissance of crockin in my house. We feed them childrens but often dinner is just the scotch.

Buy a decent size chuck roast, a bag of baby carrots and a couple of potatoes and an onion.Put two packages of Lipton's onion soup in the crock pot with enough water to fill the crock pot halfway.Put the roast in, dump the bag of carrots in, and slice up the potatoes/onion and throw them in also.
are the veggies and potatoes mushy when done cooking?
Good question, and I should have addressed it. Put the meat in first for a few hours, and the other stuff in for the final two hours only. That's how you get around that issue.

'NJDawgPound said:
Just put this in. Tomatoes instead of celery. I added a twist, sauce wise, I'll tell yall what ti is if it works out.

If one of you is totally and completely BORED one day and you want to go through the thread for the recipes which were the biggest hits, paste them all into one post and then I will in turn paste them into the OP.

I had a craving for mushrooms and thought a chicken marsala in the crock sounded like a good idea. Found a recipe online and tweaked it a bit for my palate.

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

2/3 teaspoon salt

2/3 teaspoon pepper

2/3 teaspoon dried basil

2/3 teaspoon cayenne

1 cup marsala wine

1 cup low sodium chicken broth

3 tablespoons butter, broken into small pieces

8 ounces fresh white mushrooms, sliced

8 ounces fresh brown mushrooms, sliced

2/3 cup peas

Directions:

Put the chicken breasts in the crock pot.

Mix the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne and basil, and sprinkle over the chicken.

Pour the wine and broth into the crockpot.

Dot the butter over the chicken and dump the mushrooms on top.

Cook LOW for 5 hours.

Add peas. I'm going to thaw them first. Cook another hour

When the 6 hours are up, take the chicken out and place on the serving dish. Stir the sauce a little, and spoon the sauce over the chicken.

Going to serve it over pasta.

So far its been the easiest thing I've made. No chopping, no browning, no nothing. I'm just putting things in the crock and pressing play.

:blackdot:

We recently started using ours more. Pork butt came out insanely good.

Thinking of trying ribs.

Making the beef stew right now, as per the instructions. :thumbup:
It's just ok. The meat really dried out on me. Keep that stuff under the water. The broth is subpar,not very think of beefy.I would add some gravy master in the future most likely.

It's just ok. The meat really dried out on me. Keep that stuff under the water. The broth is subpar,not very think of beefy.I would add some gravy master in the future most likely.
I use arrowroot, but gravy master is good too.
We cooked it on high for 5 hours. I thought everything was cooked really well. I would change the McCormack seasoning though next time. Maybe do my own spices and yeah, maybe something a little heavier sauce. We put it on top of egg noodles and thought it was good as is though. Got some extra for tomorrow! :thumbup:

If one of you is totally and completely BORED one day and you want to go through the thread for the recipes which were the biggest hits, paste them all into one post and then I will in turn paste them into the OP.
I feel like someone did this on page 9.(Because I did it on page 9. 2 posts, back to back)

Have this in right now. Creamy chicken and noodles.

42oz of chicken broth (1 box and a 3rd of another)

I boiled a whole chicken to cut down on time, shredded

2 cans of cream of chicken soup

1 stick of butter sliced

24oz of egg noodles (Add in the last hour)

Lawrys seasoning salt

Black pepper

Recipe calls for 8 hours on low. I am gonna start on low for 3 and work from there since the chicken is already cooked.

Will report back later with results. :thumbup:

ETA: Very tasty. Nice and creamy pasta dish. Kids (10/4/2) all destroyed it as well.

I use arrowroot, but gravy master is good too.
We cooked it on high for 5 hours. I thought everything was cooked really well. I would change the McCormack seasoning though next time. Maybe do my own spices and yeah, maybe something a little heavier sauce. We put it on top of egg noodles and thought it was good as is though. Got some extra for tomorrow! :thumbup:
Leftover was even better...excellent!

I dont really get pre-cooking stuff and then throwing it all in the crockpot just to keep warm. I want easy and good. I want hunks of raw meat, raw veggies, and uncooked rice/noodles that all gets thrown in together with sauce/spice and cooks slow until I have an awesome, ready-to-eat meal.

I dont really get pre-cooking stuff and then throwing it all in the crockpot just to keep warm. I want easy and good. I want hunks of raw meat, raw veggies, and uncooked rice/noodles that all gets thrown in together with sauce/spice and cooks slow until I have an awesome, ready-to-eat meal.
As with my meatball recipe in the OP, if you don't brown the meat a little bit before throwing it into the crock pot, it will take FOREVER to be done. It's just a good way to eat in 6 hours instead of 10 hours. But yeah, it's not necessary if you have all day and you can snack a bit until it's done.

Seeing this thread title over and over inspired me to buy a crockpot at a garage sale. The beef stew was great and simple. Seasoning packets are too fancy for me so I used salt and pepper instead.

Seeing this thread title over and over inspired me to buy a crockpot at a garage sale. The beef stew was great and simple. Seasoning packets are too fancy for me so I used salt and pepper instead.
I added whole fresh mushrooms cut in half, and a can of stewed tomatoes. It was good and the meat cooked perfectly. Next time, adding a can of corn, three or 4 cans of stewed tomatoes, another container of mushrooms, and only 1 potato instead of two. Anyone try the chicken and rice casserole with the cream of mushroom soup in there?

Chicken tortilla soup

This is really good and incredibly easy in the crock pot. Use a rotisserie or left over chicken I've used canned corn etc it doesn't matter much. For other cooking I usually don't use many canned products but this turns out great. The tortillas are a must

Users who are viewing this thread