What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cutting Your Losses? - TRich, Spiller, Colston, etc. (1 Viewer)

just_want_2_win

Footballguy
There's a thread on dropping Brady so I won't overlap that, but with a number of WRs and a few RBs emerging the last couple weeks, are you considering flat out dropping flops like TRich and Spiller or slumping guys like Colston in order to grab promising guys who are delivering (think Boykin, Ivory, etc.)?

They're big names but the opportunity cost of carrying them and missing out on potential season changers...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a thread on dropping Brady so I won't overlap that, but with a number of WRs and a few RBs emerging the last couple weeks, are you considering flat out dropping flops like TRich and Spiller or slumping guys like Colston in order to grab promising guys who are delivering (think Boykin, Ivory, etc.)?

They're big names but the opportunity cost of carrying them and missing out on potential season changers...
Fish move.

Fish move.
How so? Maybe Colston turns it around, but TRich and Spiller are half way through the season and are floundering, if not getting worse. When does patience stop being a virtue with them? And in redraft their trade value is pretty battered. If anything it's guppy-esque to just hold based on name recognition and not at least consider moving on.

Fish move.
How so? Maybe Colston turns it around, but TRich and Spiller are half way through the season and are floundering, if not getting worse. When does patience stop being a virtue with them? And in redraft their trade value is pretty battered. If anything it's guppy-esque to just hold based on name recognition and not at least consider moving on.
Unless this is your first year playing fantasy football (or watching football), you would know the upside that Spiller brings when fully healthy, and how he can be a game-changer. He is not completely healthy right now, but he should be able to help fantasy teams down the stretch, and most certainly should not be dropped.

Colston is the #1 WR on that team, and the second option on that team behind Graham in most weeks.

TRich has been awful so far this year, but based on his upside alone, you don't drop the guy. Sit him on your bench and drop someone else for one of those lottery ticket guys. It's not name recognition where you are clinging onto a Randy Moss type, who is out of his prime, but was a stud back in the day.

That's all I got, I'm done with these should I drop my studs threads. Like I said earlier, Fish Move if you drop any one of these guys.

I have a to chuckle a bit to myself when people mention dropping these types of players. Think about it this way, if they were dropped by someone else wouldn't you want to add them for free and stash them on your bench hoping that they regain form? And another thing, although their values have taken a huge hit, there's still a very good chance that there's an owner in your league willing to take a shot at them in a trade, maybe you can trade them for a bench player that you like on someone else's team or you can package them with one of your starters for an upgrade. Unless you're in a shallow 8-10 team league it's really a bad move dropping these types of players.

Just my two cents.

I'm not advising to drop Colston until we see how hobbled Graham is as Colston could get most of his touches if they ease him back.

:bag: you just listed 3 of my key guys. Which explains why I'm having my worst season in over a decade.

Depends on the league and who is out there as free agent substitutes.

I would never drop Richardson since even though he's struggling, the team is good and he's likely going to get a lot of milk-the-clock carries - and should at least be the goal line option.

While it's obviously a dumb move to drop these guys, you can consider swapping disappointments in scenarios where you see potential value. For example, I'm thinking about moving TRich for Spiller after week 8. TRich is sitting on my bench now and Spiller has the better playoff schedule, so this could make sense. Also, Spiller has KC, NYJ, Bye, TB remaining on his regular-season schedule and I think TRich's schedule is more favorable, so if the other team is desperate, you could potentially squeeze some extra value in the trade with other pieces.

It's obviously very easy to say "Trent sucks and Brown is getting carries" .... but it's just as easy to point out Spiller's QB, the presence of Fred Jackson, a bum ankle, tougher remaining schedule, etc. I think Spiller's playoff schedule could make it worthwhile.

Can I play in your league next year?

No way you drop any of those guys. If anything, sure try and trade them. Yes they are underperforming, but you don't just drop them for peanuts.

I drafted TRich, and have been starting him.

He's been a huge disappointment for me this year, and I'd gladly trade him if the price was right, but seriously, if you have guys on your waiver wire that are good enough to justify DROPPING TRich, you need to play with better competition.

Spiller is killing me, absolute worst pick I've ever drafted. A big part of why I'll be 1-6 after tonight. Having said that I see no reason to drop him so that someone else can cash in in case he ever gets his crap together.

Fish move.
Unless this is your first year playing fantasy football (or watching football), you would know the upside that Spiller brings when fully healthy, and how he can be a game-changer. He is not completely healthy right now, but he should be able to help fantasy teams down the stretch, and most certainly should not be dropped.

Colston is the #1 WR on that team, and the second option on that team behind Graham in most weeks.

TRich has been awful so far this year, but based on his upside alone, you don't drop the guy. Sit him on your bench and drop someone else for one of those lottery ticket guys. It's not name recognition where you are clinging onto a Randy Moss type, who is out of his prime, but was a stud back in the day.

That's all I got, I'm done with these should I drop my studs threads. Like I said earlier, Fish Move if you drop any one of these guys.
I gotta disagree with the bolded part above. Colston has been invisible all year. I'd say he is the 3rd - 4th option now behind Graham, Sproles, and the running game.

I also own TRich, CJ Spiller, and another name I would add is Larry Fitz. TRich runs extremely hard but I don't see a lot of wiggle or explosion. Spiller may not be healthy all year. Larry Fitz is STILL with a bad qb on a bad team. Palmer has fallen off a cliff.

Depends on the league and who is out there as free agent substitutes.
Agreed. I always chuckle at people who drop universal judgments on what everyone should or shouldn't do despite the fact that the variations in rosters, league settings and W/L record make everyone participating in these discussions, a snowflake. Based on my league, record and roster, I'm pretty confident I will be dropping TRich this week - and comfortable with it.

He's been a huge disappointment for me this year, and I'd gladly trade him if the price was right, but seriously, if you have guys on your waiver wire that are good enough to justify DROPPING TRich, you need to play with better competition.
Well first I intended this thread to debate the merits of dropping any of the guys mentioned or those who are similiarly disappointing.

I'm not saying just go out and drop them after reading this thread.

I would say in order of droppability in redraft it's TRich, Colston, Spiller. Until the last game I was of the mind TRich would slowly start to show improvement as he hit a better part of the schedule and got more familiar with the playbook. Instead, he's looking worse. I can see holding each depending on your league and roster.

Anyway, I wanted to see what other sharks thought about letting go at some point when a top player doesn't produce at all and starts to look like they never will during the current season, esp. in redraft. I agree you don't panic and drop a "stud" but at what point are you missing out on other opportunities while clinging to these disappointments saying they will turn it around soon?

And don't say no one good should be on the wire. In one money league we start 9 (2 RB) and have a 5 RB roster cap. Guys originally drafted like Wilson and Ivory have hit the wire due to roster pressures from injuries and byes. The Wilson owner cut him but kept Andre Brown on IR, which makes sense to me. SJax is on IR. Ivory hit the wire after looking bad and being hurt. In the meantime guys like Jacquizz, Woodhead, and Ogbannaya (PPR league) have been signed. So I don't think the owners in the league are not on top of things.

And no one was carrying Harvin or Boykin until very recently. But these emerging guys at some point have to tempt you to at least consider dropping a seemingly hopeless case.

Well first I intended this thread to debate the merits of dropping any of the guys mentioned or those who are similiarly disappointing.

I'm not saying just go out and drop them after reading this thread.

I would say in order of droppability in redraft it's TRich, Colston, Spiller. Until the last game I was of the mind TRich would slowly start to show improvement as he hit a better part of the schedule and got more familiar with the playbook. Instead, he's looking worse. I can see holding each depending on your league and roster.

Anyway, I wanted to see what other sharks thought about letting go at some point when a top player doesn't produce at all and starts to look like they never will during the current season, esp. in redraft. I agree you don't panic and drop a "stud" but at what point are you missing out on other opportunities while clinging to these disappointments saying they will turn it around soon?

And don't say no one good should be on the wire. In one money league we start 9 (2 RB) and have a 5 RB roster cap. Guys originally drafted like Wilson and Ivory have hit the wire due to roster pressures from injuries and byes. The Wilson owner cut him but kept Andre Brown on IR, which makes sense to me. SJax is on IR. Ivory hit the wire after looking bad and being hurt. In the meantime guys like Jacquizz, Woodhead, and Ogbannaya (PPR league) have been signed. So I don't think the owners in the league are not on top of things.

And no one was carrying Harvin or Boykin until very recently. But these emerging guys at some point have to tempt you to at least consider dropping a seemingly hopeless case.
I completely agree that unwavering patience isn't "the shark move" any more than dumping and chasing points.

There comes a time when you need to put more emphasis on "what is" than on "what could/should be". TRich is amassing a pretty significant sample size of unstartable stat lines (based on my roster and league). Donald Brown is clearly and significantly in the mix but as a whole, they aren't running effectively. TRich isn't mitigating the yardage with checkdowns either. I'm sure Indy wants to fix the run game but I'm also concerned that the team is winning with the current "formula" and beating good football teams. I just don't see the catalyst that's suddenly going to make him a fantasy starter and as you pointed out, the window of opportunity to take a chance on Reeds and Boykins doesn't stay open very long.

TRich could be interesting going forward if Wayne did tear his ACL. Hilton and DHB aren't possesion type WRs like Wayne and rely on the big play to get their stats. Indy could try and run the ball a tad more if Wayne is done. Just my $.02

TRich could be interesting going forward if Wayne did tear his ACL. Hilton and DHB aren't possesion type WRs like Wayne and rely on the big play to get their stats. Indy could try and run the ball a tad more if Wayne is done. Just my $.02
They could. Then again they may have been trying to run the ball more since trading a first round pick to Cleveland.

You could argue that losing a key weapon in the passing game will make it more difficult to run the ball, not easier.

They could. Then again they may have been trying to run the ball more since trading a first round pick to Cleveland.

You could argue that losing a key weapon in the passing game will make it more difficult to run the ball, not easier.
Good points. Definitely something to keep an eye on. Indy has a bye coming up so maybe they try and work on the running game during the bye?

I don't necessarily think the run game will suffer w/o Wayne because of the big play threat from Hilton and DHB.

t-rich only has a handful of plus matchups remaining anyway. drop-able? eh...takes some cajones. trade-able for pennies on the dollar or bench-able? absolutely.

I have a to chuckle a bit to myself when people mention dropping these types of players. Think about it this way, if they were dropped by someone else wouldn't you want to add them for free and stash them on your bench hoping that they regain form? And another thing, although their values have taken a huge hit, there's still a very good chance that there's an owner in your league willing to take a shot at them in a trade, maybe you can trade them for a bench player that you like on someone else's team or you can package them with one of your starters for an upgrade. Unless you're in a shallow 8-10 team league it's really a bad move dropping these types of players.

Just my two cents.
True

Sorry, but why not try to trade them?

I don't think a Boykin owner is going to trade him now. Last week maybe, yes. At that point the owner probably thinks they're getting the deal of a lifetime, Colston for a no name backup WR?

I would say wait until after waivers, see who got picked up you could not acquire and try to trade a Colston before player X blows up. Last week it would have been Reed, Boykin, Williams when they were on someone's bench.

I tried to trade for Colston last week, no can do.

I thought of trading for Richardson last week but I didn't know who to send, then I thought I would rather go with a Dunbar this week, which is sad.

Someone offered me Spiller for Julius Thomas today, that's a no from me.

Point just being there must be a medium proper value somewhere.

On the other hand it could get worse, defensive coordinators could feel free to leave another guy on the line or move someone closer to it to cover the run or be more aggressive on the pass rush. We could also see more Don Brown for pass plays.

That's the rub. Colston for Boykin? Red flag! Colston for this? No. Other owners aren't going to help you out. So it's cut or you're out a roster spot. I couldn't move Colston even when his numbers were good.

About Colston, Buffalo really could be a get better game. The Saints will be recalibrating things during the bye. Even if Graham is active they may give him a bit of a light load. In the Dome, vs the Bills, off a loss and a bye and a tough stretch up ahead, I'd pick him up immediately and maybe start him (depending on the roster/league) if I saw him on the WW.

Colston- Should've been dropped already. He's not even wr3 material on the team with the 2nd most passing yards. Take a flier on K Stills if he's still available. T Richardson? RBBC on a passing team. Spiller? you can try to trade him. Your chasing what these guys should be doing and not what they ARE doing-which is squat. 7 games into a 14 game season-how much longer are you going to wait? T Richardson has no value as a pass catcher so how does his value go up with the injury to R Wayne? I don't think Indy's rush attempts go up that much. DH Bey might become fantasy relevant again.

If M James is now TB's lead back he might score more then Spiller and Trent-worth a pickup. J Cumberland for the Jets is going to score more then Colston(games 8-16). Cut bait on those three.

Thank me later.

Spiller is killing me, absolute worst pick I've ever drafted. A big part of why I'll be 1-6 after tonight. Having said that I see no reason to drop him so that someone else can cash in in case he ever gets his crap together.
Same here. I keep replaying draft night in my head. I had Spiller #3 on my draft list and thought I was fortunate to get him at 7. I guess the part that stings is I drafted the guy I wanted - there was no debate as to who should I pick - and it was a swing and miss. It is hard to put a season together when you get zero production out of your 1st round pick.

Curious how people now feel about cutting TRich and Spiller. A month ago this thread was full of "give him time" posts, is that still the case?

Curious how people now feel about cutting TRich and Spiller. A month ago this thread was full of "give him time" posts, is that still the case?
In fairness, a lot of people said to cut Colston and he's looked solid the past two weeks. It could go either way.

Not cutting Spiller, but not starting him either. Still hoping he turns it around for the playoffs, but I don't have much confidence.

I dropped Richardson for Chris Ogbonnaya in one league this week. I'm hoping someone one else picks him up and starts him against me.

I cut ties with Colston weeks ago to pick up Michael Floyd.

A few weeks ago I traded Darren McFadden to get C.J. Spiller for the final stretch. I'm still holding out hope he will be back healed, healthy, and strong after the week 12 bye.

I dropped TRich for a free agent kicker because I didn't want to drop Hauschka (who has a bye this week).

The OP created this thread on October 20th.

Since the games of Oct. 20, here are their cumulative scores and rankings in PPR leagues ...

Spiller: 29 points ... good for 42nd among RBs.

3-Rich: 26 points ... TWENTY-SIX. A lofty 47th place among RBs.

Just brutal. I wouldn't have had the stones to outright drop either of them back then, but I bet if you compared ...

a) The % of FF owners who dropped either of these two back then and will lose games between Weeks 8-15 because of it;

b) The % of FF owners who kept them in their lineups between Weeks 8-11 and lost games because of it

... that b) would be about 5x higher than a).

(As an aside, this is why getting "married to your trades", while a problem in any league, is the kiss of death in shallow-bench leagues. You wind up trotting out your high-round picks for weeks after it's obvious they've busted simply because you don't have room for them on your bench. It took me years to realize that I just don't have a trader's mentality, so I avoid leagues with shallow benches wherever possible.)

I just cut Lamar Miller for Michael Crabtree and I am considering dropping Trent Richardson for Buffalo DST. Even if I didn't drop T-Rich I know I wont start him again this year...

Users who are viewing this thread