What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daily Beast Reports the Columbus Girl was Unarmed and Knife was Lying on the Ground (1 Viewer)

The “You’re Next” was followed by “accountability”, which clearly means that LeBron wanted this guy arrested and held to justice like Derek Chauvin. Obviously that was before the revelation that the story wasn’t what people thought it was. LeBron removed the tweet. 
Obviously it was a rush to judgment, but it wasn’t nearly as despicable as some are making out here.
:lmao:

Why is that?
Because the implication is that he’s calling for this guy to be killed or something. That’s not the case. He was calling for an arrest and a court trial. 
So many black people have been murdered by police, without any repercussions, that it’s pretty reasonable for James to get angry about the hat he perceived to be yet another one. The fact that this was apparently not a wrongful death doesn’t mean that they still don’t continually occur. They do. 

Because the implication is that he’s calling for this guy to be killed or something. That’s not the case. He was calling for an arrest and a court trial. 
So many black people have been murdered by police, without any repercussions, that it’s pretty reasonable for James to get angry about the hat he perceived to be yet another one. The fact that this was apparently not a wrongful death doesn’t mean that they still don’t continually occur. They do. 
OMG

Yep.  Not a dog-whistle for the leftist mob at all.  Nothing to see here.  🙄

The “You’re Next” was followed by “accountability”, which clearly means that LeBron wanted this guy arrested and held to justice like Derek Chauvin. Obviously that was before the revelation that the story wasn’t what people thought it was. LeBron removed the tweet. 
Obviously it was a rush to judgment, but it wasn’t nearly as despicable as some are making out here.
https://mobile.twitter.com/KingJames/status/1385011051087810561

https://mobile.twitter.com/KingJames/status/1385013333007343619

They had much more evidence than the Daily Beast did. It was correct for them to report that story exactly the way they did, and correct for them to retract it when they learned more. 
Evidence?  They had heresay.  The only difference is they had two unnamed police sources whereas this story apparently had one family source who was repeating what she had heard from two other family sources who were there.  Ask yourself this tim - if the NY Times’ “evidence” was so good, why did they get it so horribly wrong?

The Daily Beast ripped for publishing misinformation about Columbus police shooting

Talk about inciting a riot.  But hey, I’ve been told there is nothing to this and it’s just an isolated incident:

1. According to Sho the story was appropriately sourced.  It came from an eyewitness at the scene and the Beast was just reporting what they had been told.

2. According to tim this is not an example of left wing bias in the media and that this myth is just a tired old trope.

3. All is good because they corrected the story right after the facts came out.

In other news the Daily Beast is still shown as more reliable than Fox News on the Media Bias Chart. 
It's graded out the same as Fox online, but higher than the Network.   That's because of the shows like Tucker Carlson.    

That said:

1.  Do you know anybody around here or IRL who uses The Daily Beast?  I have 0 clue wtf it even is, but Fox is huge.  

2.  Both are graded in that zone of high variation of reliablity. 

3.  Maybe Fox could just start reporting news, instead of reporting on other junky outlet's version of the news?   

4.  That it's graded the same and it reports stuff like this should tell you all you need to know about what you are consuming.  ;)  

Both posts are correct, and show him to be at heart an admirable guy. He should apologize for this but he’s a good person. 
May justice prevail?

he took the tweet down because it was being used to create hate ?

Doesn’t sound like he believes the Officer did the right thing 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's graded out the same as Fox online, but higher than the Network.   That's because of the shows like Tucker Carlson.    

That said:

1.  Do you know anybody around here or IRL who uses The Daily Beast?  I have 0 clue wtf it even is, but Fox is huge.  

2.  Both are graded in that zone of high variation of reliablity. 

3.  Maybe Fox could just start reporting news, instead of reporting on other junky outlet's version of the news?   

4.  That it's graded the same and it reports stuff like this should tell you all you need to know about what you are consuming.  ;)  
Tim just said a few posts up that he reads it. 

That’s fine tim but I never again want to hear you talking about dog-whistles.  When in the world is “You’re Next” not associated with violence?  He could have just said “You’re Accountable”, no?  And he didn’t have wrong facts.  You made that up in your own head.  He tweeted it today at 2:26 pm.  

Ya know, sometimes you post stuff that makes total sense even if one might not agree with your take, and then other times you post stuff that is totally off the rails.  This post is not the former.  Good grief, dude.  I get that you are a Lakers fan, but this kind of justification for LeBron's disgusting tweet is not one of your better moments (and I have long rooted for and defended LeBron, but that is coming to an end now).  I am sure you will double down on it, and then triple down, and so on and so forth, so have fun with that. 

Nobody said anything about LeBron calling for the guy to be killed, but yet you thought it.  

It shows him to be dumb and reckless - two good reasons not to have a Twitter account.
Meh, he only has 49 million Twitter followers. I’m sure they’re all bright people and no one will try to act on anything toward that police officer 

Ya know, sometimes you post stuff that makes total sense even if one might not agree with your take, and then other times you post stuff that is totally off the rails.  This post is not the former.  Good grief, dude.  I get that you are a Lakers fan, but this kind of justification for LeBron's disgusting tweet is not one of your better moments (and I have long rooted for and defended LeBron, but that is coming to an end now).  I am sure you will double down on it, and then triple down, and so on and so forth, so have fun with that. 
I’m not defending him because I’m a Laker fan. Actually I’m not defending him at all. He did a stupid thing. I don’t think it was despicable and I don’t think he’s a bad guy. If that makes me off the rails, so be it. 

That’s fine tim but I never again want to hear you talking about dog-whistles.  When in the world is “You’re Next” not associated with violence?  He could have just said “You’re Accountable”, no?  And he didn’t have wrong facts.  You made that up in your own head.  He tweeted it today at 2:26 pm.  
But see, the folks I accuse of dog whistles, (Trump, Maxine Waters, Rashida Tliab, Tucker Carlson, to name a few) do it often and consistently and they know exactly what they’re doing. I don’t believe any of that applies to LeBron. 

I’m not defending him because I’m a Laker fan. Actually I’m not defending him at all. He did a stupid thing. I don’t think it was despicable and I don’t think he’s a bad guy. If that makes me off the rails, so be it. 
It was despicable because he fails to grasp his influence.  I get that tensions are high, but tweeting something that reactionary and inflammatory before getting the facts to his 49 million or whatever followers was dangerous and, yes, despicable.  His follow-up tweets indicate that he still thinks he was right.  He suggested that he took the tweet down because others was using it to create more hate, not because he realized he was wrong.  Had he admitted that he jumped the gun and was wrong to tweet that, it would have been forgivable, but he didn't.  I don't think he is a bad guy, but his actions today are just awful. 

It was despicable because he fails to grasp his influence.  I get that tensions are high, but tweeting something that reactionary and inflammatory before getting the facts to his 49 million or whatever followers was dangerous and, yes, despicable.  His follow-up tweets indicate that he still thinks he was right.  He suggested that he took the tweet down because others was using it to create more hate, not because he realized he was wrong.  Had he admitted that he jumped the gun and was wrong to tweet that, it would have been forgivable, but he didn't.  I don't think he is a bad guy, but his actions today are just awful. 
I agree with your last sentence. And I agree that he fails to grasp his influence. He’s no politician. 

But in my book, a despicable act is one that’s deliberate. I will forgive almost any mistake. That’s why I’m having a problem with the prosecution of this woman who shot Daunte Wright. If she really thought she had a taser in her hand then she was making a mistake. It’s very different from Chauvin. 

When the event that he is suggesting something else will be the next occurrence of was clearly a trial and justice being served.

I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt.  I am guessing that the answer is "no", and I am not on Twitter to see follow up tweets or explanations, but is there even a sliver of a chance the "you're next" is in relation to Chauvin the day before and LeBron calling for him being fired/guilty rather than LeBron saying "you're next" as in you are going to be shot/hurt?  the #accountability part of the tweet... 

I am in no way defending the tweet, just asking if that is even in the realm of possibility for people?

I agree with your last sentence. And I agree that he fails to grasp his influence. He’s no politician. 

But in my book, a despicable act is one that’s deliberate. I will forgive almost any mistake. That’s why I’m having a problem with the prosecution of this woman who shot Daunte Wright. If she really thought she had a taser in her hand then she was making a mistake. It’s very different from Chauvin. 
I do think LeBron's act was deliberate.  If it wasn't, he would have walked it back (deleting it and then using the cop-out he did is not doing so, IMO). 

Sho has not commented on this story from the Beast...so take your lies about what I said elsewhere.

Also...we have a media thread for such things...starting a new one everytime any of them get it wrong just floods the board.

Do me a favor...keep my name out of your posts if you are just going to fabricate things.
Filling in for Squiz as the thread starter police should get you double pay. 

Meh, he only has 49 million Twitter followers. I’m sure they’re all bright people and no one will try to act on anything toward that police officer 
So are you in the camp that believes that people with Twitter accounts that have large followings should be careful about what they tweet for fear of influencing others to bad actions?

Both posts are correct, and show him to be at heart an admirable guy. He should apologize for this but he’s a good person. 
Both post are not correct. This officer was absolutely doing his job and probably saved a life. It’s unfortunate he had to take one to do so but that’s exactly what he’s paid to do, protect the innocent. The victim here is the girl being attacked by the other girl with a knife not the one who got shot.

And where is LeBron’s post about accountability for the adults who were standing around doing nothing, and/or actively participating, in these KIDS fighting.  The actions of adults is absolutely reprehensible and they are more to blame for that young girls death then the officer.  

I actually do think he’s a bad guy.  For the first time I genuinely feel that way about him.  

Both post are not correct. This officer was absolutely doing his job and probably saved a life. It’s unfortunate he had to take one to do so but that’s exactly what he’s paid to do, protect the innocent. The victim here is the girl being attacked by the other girl with a knife not the one who got shot.

And where is LeBron’s post about accountability for the adults who were standing around doing nothing, and/or actively participating, in these KIDS fighting.  The actions of adults is absolutely reprehensible and they are more to blame for that young girls death then the officer.  
The folks hanging around as the situation escalated prior to the police intervention is another alarming part of that video.  

I said I’ve read it from time to time. I also read FreeRepublic. I’ve read Stormfront before. #### I’ll read anything. 
Dammit, I'd appreciate if you actually read my posts before responding to them!  haha...i'm busting your chops man

But see, the folks I accuse of dog whistles, (Trump, Maxine Waters, Rashida Tliab, Tucker Carlson, to name a few) do it often and consistently and they know exactly what they’re doing. I don’t believe any of that applies to LeBron. 
You're saying he's too stupid to realize what he's doing?

I think the real question is why does anybody care what LeBron James, high school graduate, thinks?

It's because we've begun to have a little bit of an oligarchy in this country, and these walking multi-national billion dollar corporations have proven themselves buffoons of the highest order. Talk about trickle-up economics. Let's stop buying their products and watching them. I could give a #### if the NBA or MLB folded tomorrow. They and their players and owners can go you-know-what.

Wouldn't affect me in the least and I cheer for neither the owners nor players in those leagues. Entitled rich ####s that never get touched during their employment. Who needs them?

I think the real question is why does anybody care what LeBron James, high school graduate, thinks?
:lmao: So true. Too many of these guys go from adolescence straight through to grown up spoiled brats.  No life lessons, just put ball in basket. 

The bolded...good lord.
You could not pay me enough to be a cop.  You risk your life to defend people and you get all this grief and hate thrown at you.  I can't even imagine the level of hate it takes not to want to help someone capture the people who shot my kid.  

This sure reminds me of some other well-known person (with  millions of followers) who says dangerous stuff. Not like his followers would really get violent though. 

So are you in the camp that believes that people with Twitter accounts that have large followings should be careful about what they tweet for fear of influencing others to bad actions?

This sure reminds me of some other well-known person (with  millions of followers) who says dangerous stuff. Not like his followers would really get violent though. 
:lmao:   You’re trying to play But Trump Gotcha with someone who wasn’t even a Trump supporter. Try stop living in the past, IMO. 

The bolded...good lord.
I wrote something really long about this, but I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate nor something I totally want to share. What I can say is that the honor code of not talking to police is often an attempt to hide serious familial and societal malfunction happening at core levels.

I still want to know why the girl who got shot was in a foster home and what the mother was doing on the scene. Why'd Mom lose the kid, or was kid so out of control she became a ward of the state? What gives in that situation? Drugs by the mother? Lack of funds to support the daughter? Why were they separated so that she was living in an obviously unstable situation?

Anyway, when things like the nine-person shooting happen, everybody turns and blames authority or society within those communities, never reflecting upon the things that actually caused the shooting. Sinning on Saturday and praying to God on Sunday that somehow it will end without being proactive about it. Which is why I started the systemic racism thread, in order to account for culpability on society's end. But there's something else there. There's no accountability undertaken by the people involved, nor the witnesses, who refuse community policing and restraint. Civil rights leaders and pastors used to fill this void. They would harness the community energy towards working to an end to violence. BLM has specifically declined to work with community and religious leaders, specifically refusing their intervention and saying that they prefer street theater. That is a bad move, and further perpetuates the notion that the state and society are the ones to address rather than the perpetrators of the violence.

It's a mixed-up, screwed-up way of looking at things, but it dominates the discussion and the hearts and minds of those involved.

It's because we've begun to have a little bit of an oligarchy in this country, and these walking multi-national billion dollar corporations have proven themselves buffoons of the highest order. Talk about trickle-up economics. Let's stop buying their products and watching them. I could give a #### if the NBA or MLB folded tomorrow. They and their players and owners can go you-know-what.

Wouldn't affect me in the least and I cheer for neither the owners nor players in those leagues. Entitled rich ####s that never get touched during their employment. Who needs them?
Good question. But it certainly brings a certain type a-running to login.

Users who are viewing this thread