What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas RB mess (1 Viewer)

Sinrman

Footballguy
What will become of the Dallas mess next year and beyond? Barber did well early on and had flashes of brilliance here and there. But durability was a concern. Jones looked spectacular at times before his injury. And when Choice got the chance, he looked fantastic. In fact, he had like 88, 90, and 91 yards against three of the top defenses in the NFL (NYG, BAL, PIT), and didn't even get many carries.

I look at this more from a fantasy prospective, and think it's going to be a pain to deal with in drafts this next season. Will Dallas look to ship one of them off? Still keep Barber and spell him with Jones, and keep Choice on the bench again? Try and somehow mix in Choice too, and take more carries away from Barber and Jones?

What will become of the Dallas mess next year and beyond? Barber did well early on and had flashes of brilliance here and there. But durability was a concern. Jones looked spectacular at times before his injury. And when Choice got the chance, he looked fantastic. In fact, he had like 88, 90, and 91 yards against three of the top defenses in the NFL (NYG, BAL, PIT), and didn't even get many carries.I look at this more from a fantasy prospective, and think it's going to be a pain to deal with in drafts this next season. Will Dallas look to ship one of them off? Still keep Barber and spell him with Jones, and keep Choice on the bench again? Try and somehow mix in Choice too, and take more carries away from Barber and Jones?
Use the Giants as your guideBarber in the Jacobs role- Starts, gets about 15-20 carries, goal line workJones in the Ward role- comes in on 3rd downs, obvious passing downs, and stay in for a couple of series or longer if he's doing wellChoice in the Bradshaw role- comes in fresh in the 4th quarter when the D is tiring and Cowboys have a lead in order to spell the other two.Barber remains a #1, Jones is a borderline #2, and Choice is an emergency starter.

What will become of the Dallas mess next year and beyond? Barber did well early on and had flashes of brilliance here and there. But durability was a concern. Jones looked spectacular at times before his injury. And when Choice got the chance, he looked fantastic. In fact, he had like 88, 90, and 91 yards against three of the top defenses in the NFL (NYG, BAL, PIT), and didn't even get many carries.I look at this more from a fantasy prospective, and think it's going to be a pain to deal with in drafts this next season. Will Dallas look to ship one of them off? Still keep Barber and spell him with Jones, and keep Choice on the bench again? Try and somehow mix in Choice too, and take more carries away from Barber and Jones?
Use the Giants as your guideBarber in the Jacobs role- Starts, gets about 15-20 carries, goal line workJones in the Ward role- comes in on 3rd downs, obvious passing downs, and stay in for a couple of series or longer if he's doing wellChoice in the Bradshaw role- comes in fresh in the 4th quarter when the D is tiring and Cowboys have a lead in order to spell the other two.Barber remains a #1, Jones is a borderline #2, and Choice is an emergency starter.
:) how long before we see a 3 RBBC as the norm?

It's a nice problem to have for the Cowboys. I suspect Barber will still get his touchdowns but lose a couple of carries/game.

The Cowboys should trade Choice for a 2nd rounder and try to replace some of the picks they lost with the wasted Roy Williams trade. You can already see the beginning of the demise for the Cowboys as they erode over the next 3-4 seasons with these Jerry Jones moves...

The Cowboys should trade Choice for a 2nd rounder and try to replace some of the picks they lost with the wasted Roy Williams trade. You can already see the beginning of the demise for the Cowboys as they erode over the next 3-4 seasons with these Jerry Jones moves...
I don't know that they could get a 2 for him but I agree with this.

Here is my take.... When all 3 were healthy MB3 still got the lion share of the carries.... Granted they didn't realize Choice would contribute as much but even with a healthy Felix, Barber was still the man.... of course, this is just IMO.

Not having a #1 actually can assist them in their final cap number but the Cowboys still have a 2nd, 3rd, 2 4th's, a 5th, a 7th, and will get 2 more compensatory picks for losing Julius Jones and Jacques Reeves last year. They traded for a lot of extra picks in last year's draft and still got an amazingly good rookie crop.

Not having a #1 actually can assist them in their final cap number but the Cowboys still have a 2nd, 3rd, 2 4th's, a 5th, a 7th, and will get 2 more compensatory picks for losing Julius Jones and Jacques Reeves last year. They traded for a lot of extra picks in last year's draft and still got an amazingly good rookie crop.
You get a compensatory pick for *losing* Julius Jones? Talk about a win-win.

Here is my take.... When all 3 were healthy MB3 still got the lion share of the carries.... Granted they didn't realize Choice would contribute as much but even with a healthy Felix, Barber was still the man.... of course, this is just IMO.
Barber is the least talented of the 3. He performed the worst of the 3. He is a complete overachiever only because he will sacrifice his body.He runs with a more reckless style than Brandon Jacobs except he is not as big as strong or as good as Jacobs.

It could be an ugly mess fantasy wise in the Dallas backfield. You can't just assume that Barber starts and Felix comes in on 3rd downs. Felix caught 2 passes this year. Its not exactly his forte. Choice on the other hand caught 21 passes in his limited game time. He could easily be the 3rd down guy, with Barber and Jones sharing the rest of the load. Not so sure about getting 2 comp picks. Its yet to be determined what they will receive, but they did also sign Zach Thomas and Keith Davis. That could very well take away one of those picks.

:moneybag: how long before we see a 3 RBBC as the norm?
I think it already is in theory. Most teams just don't have the talent to do it in reality. Every team wants to have the 3rd down/COP guy and the Big Bruiser and the Talented Backup. Only NYG and DAL have talent at all 3 RB spots to see it on the field.A couple that I can think of off the top of my head -NO: Bush/Duece/Pierre - Duece has battled injury and now seems less effective.BAL: McGahee/McClain/Rice - McGahee just isn't that great and Rice is more of the COP type maybe.MIA: Cobbs/Brown/Ricky - These guys aren't really used this way, and don't forget about Polite who is the biggest.NE: Faulk/Jordan/BGE - plus they have Maroney.

This is pure speculation at this point. We have no idea who will be the coach and O-coordinator next season. But lets talk through a few things.

Felix and Choice were rookies this past season and Wade/Garrett didnt trust them until they were forced to trust them. There were comments during the season that Felix only knew part of the playbook. Next year, they will have a full season under their belts. A full year in the weight program. A full season to learn the entire offense. They will (hopefully) have earned the coaches' trust.

Barber was clearly less effective with his increased roll. He had less energy, lower YPC, fewer TDs this year. It sure seemed like his maximum effectiveness was when he was getting 10-15 carries per game, with the goal line and 4th quarter work.

My guess is that next season you'll see Barber get the start. Felix and Choice will get much of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Barber will return to his goal line and "closer" role. Barber will lead the team in carries, maybe 15 per game. Felix will get about 10 touches per game. Choice 5.

Bring in a new coaching staff, and heavan only knows what will happen.

if Garrett moves on to Denver, perhaps he'll take Barber with him?

Dallas could be in position to move one of these guys..

scrumptrulescent said:
Here's a crazy idea.....how about Dallas trades Barber to Arizona straight up for Boldin? :confused:
And while we're at it.. how about a young Matt Ryan for Peyton Manning? :rolleyes:

scrumptrulescent said:
Here's a crazy idea.....how about Dallas trades Barber to Arizona straight up for Boldin? :loco:
And while we're at it.. how about a young Matt Ryan for Peyton Manning? :loco:
What's your problem? I was throwing it out there for discussion since Dallas could have a need/desire for a stud WR so they can drop TO.....and Arizona has a need for a RB. Plus Boldin will still want out of Arizona after the year's over. It's not that bad of a fit. Ryan (QB) for Peyton (QB) is obviously just nonsense. Thanks for adding to this discussion. :mellow:

scrumptrulescent said:
Here's a crazy idea.....how about Dallas trades Barber to Arizona straight up for Boldin? :goodposting:
And while we're at it.. how about a young Matt Ryan for Peyton Manning? :thumbdown:
What's your problem? I was throwing it out there for discussion since Dallas could have a need/desire for a stud WR so they can drop TO.....and Arizona has a need for a RB. Plus Boldin will still want out of Arizona after the year's over. It's not that bad of a fit. Ryan (QB) for Peyton (QB) is obviously just nonsense. Thanks for adding to this discussion. :goodposting:
Ok, I'll bite. With TO already there and having dumped picks on Roy Williams, why would they trade for Boldin? You said to maybe drop TO...? Did they ever give any indication for dropping him? His production hasn't declined all that much. He hasn't been THAT much of a distraction as in the past. Why would Jerry Jones drop him now? The whole Romo-Witten-TO thing seemed to be blown way out of proportion, if that's what you're hinting at...As for Arizona needing a RB. Eh, James is pretty much done there, I think we all can agree on that. But they have Arrington and Hightower there already. They haven't been given too much of a chance to work together. Hightower had his moments, and sure, he was disappointing for a number of games, but he was a rookie. Not EVERY rookie stands out their first year...

This is pure speculation at this point. We have no idea who will be the coach and O-coordinator next season. But lets talk through a few things.Felix and Choice were rookies this past season and Wade/Garrett didnt trust them until they were forced to trust them. There were comments during the season that Felix only knew part of the playbook. Next year, they will have a full season under their belts. A full year in the weight program. A full season to learn the entire offense. They will (hopefully) have earned the coaches' trust.Barber was clearly less effective with his increased roll. He had less energy, lower YPC, fewer TDs this year. It sure seemed like his maximum effectiveness was when he was getting 10-15 carries per game, with the goal line and 4th quarter work. My guess is that next season you'll see Barber get the start. Felix and Choice will get much of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Barber will return to his goal line and "closer" role. Barber will lead the team in carries, maybe 15 per game. Felix will get about 10 touches per game. Choice 5. Bring in a new coaching staff, and heavan only knows what will happen.
Sounds about right to me. I think we'll have games when Choice gets shut out. Nice little player, but if I am the Boys, I'd rather have the ball in Barber or Jones' hands.

Barber is the least talented of the 3. He performed the worst of the 3. He is a complete overachiever only because he will sacrifice his body.He runs with a more reckless style than Brandon Jacobs except he is not as big as strong or as good as Jacobs.
Disagree, Barber was hurt all season between the ribs and the toe. He is a MUCH better receiver out of the backfield than Jacobs and much better at picking up the blitz.I think you go with Barber and Choice throughout the game with Barber getting the goalline duties.Jones is your return guy and 3rd down back.I think you can also have Barber and either Jones or Choice in the backfield at the same time.....

Sinrman said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Sinrman said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Here's a crazy idea.....how about Dallas trades Barber to Arizona straight up for Boldin? :drive:
And while we're at it.. how about a young Matt Ryan for Peyton Manning? :rolleyes:
What's your problem? I was throwing it out there for discussion since Dallas could have a need/desire for a stud WR so they can drop TO.....and Arizona has a need for a RB. Plus Boldin will still want out of Arizona after the year's over. It's not that bad of a fit. Ryan (QB) for Peyton (QB) is obviously just nonsense. Thanks for adding to this discussion. :lmao:
Ok, I'll bite. With TO already there and having dumped picks on Roy Williams, why would they trade for Boldin? You said to maybe drop TO...? Did they ever give any indication for dropping him? His production hasn't declined all that much. He hasn't been THAT much of a distraction as in the past. Why would Jerry Jones drop him now? The whole Romo-Witten-TO thing seemed to be blown way out of proportion, if that's what you're hinting at...As for Arizona needing a RB. Eh, James is pretty much done there, I think we all can agree on that. But they have Arrington and Hightower there already. They haven't been given too much of a chance to work together. Hightower had his moments, and sure, he was disappointing for a number of games, but he was a rookie. Not EVERY rookie stands out their first year...
Per Ed Werner, T.O. is on the "bubble" at Dallas. They are evaluating releasing Owens given his age and incessant whining.

Sinrman said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Sinrman said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Here's a crazy idea.....how about Dallas trades Barber to Arizona straight up for Boldin? :shrug:
What's your problem? I was throwing it out there for discussion since Dallas could have a need/desire for a stud WR so they can drop TO.....and Arizona has a need for a RB. Plus Boldin will still want out of Arizona after the year's over. It's not that bad of a fit. Ryan (QB) for Peyton (QB) is obviously just nonsense. Thanks for adding to this discussion. :bowtie:
The current Cowboys team has no heart, and TO is causing problems. Romo is not a strong enough leader to handle TO. This team could keep disappointing because of a lack of leadership and heart. Dallas dropping TO and moving on could be a good move. And Boldin moving in would give them 10 times the heart they've had, plus a hard worker and team guy that could help out 'cowardly lion' Roy Williams and the rest of the receivers. They could be much better now than they ever were with TO.The Cardinals will have issues with Boldin at the end of their season. He's still going to want out badly and he deserves answers. Arizona can't afford to re-up his contract since Fitz's contract is bloated, plus Breaston could take over. Meanwhile Edge is no good for Arizona's locker room and he sucks. Hightower was a good story for about 5 minutes this year. Arrington has proven he's nothing. Barber would give them a toughness/attitude at RB that they sorely need. This is all moot since Ridgelake already has proven that contracts and salary caps won't allow this move, otherwise this move would make sense for both clubs imo.

Sinrman said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Sinrman said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Here's a crazy idea.....how about Dallas trades Barber to Arizona straight up for Boldin? :shrug:
What's your problem? I was throwing it out there for discussion since Dallas could have a need/desire for a stud WR so they can drop TO.....and Arizona has a need for a RB. Plus Boldin will still want out of Arizona after the year's over. It's not that bad of a fit. Ryan (QB) for Peyton (QB) is obviously just nonsense. Thanks for adding to this discussion. :scared:
Per Ed Werner, T.O. is on the "bubble" at Dallas. They are evaluating releasing Owens given his age and incessant whining.
Good 'ole Ed is notorious for speculation pieces at the ranch. That is all this is. And I still think a Barber for Boldin trade is ridiculous to even imagine. No way the Cards even entertain that possibility. Let it go.

Disagree, Barber was hurt all season between the ribs and the toe. He is a MUCH better receiver out of the backfield than Jacobs and much better at picking up the blitz.I think you go with Barber and Choice throughout the game with Barber getting the goalline duties.Jones is your return guy and 3rd down back.
Jones is easily the most talented runner of the bunch. As for Barber's "injuries", I think that is the issue, he can't withstand the workload of a starter. I think well see Jones and Choice early on, and Barber be the closer. It's readily apparent to all but staunch Barber fans that he is the least talented of the three.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, Dallas tried pretty hard to acquire Bolden over the last year or so. Even Kevin Burnett on his blog was talking about the "smoke" of a Bolden trade. Obviously nothing happened on that front and Dallas pulled the trigger on Roy Williams, the other guy that was widely rumored they were pursuing.

I'd love for Bolden to come to Dallas. I'd have preferred him over Williams. But obviously Arizona had other ideas. Maybe something can be worked out in the future, especially after TO moves on.

But given the Dallas cap situation, I don't think anything of this magnitude will happen in 09.

I just did a little research over in the Cowboy thread on TO's contract. TO's 09 cap number if he plays is $8.995 mil. If he is cut before a June roster bonus, his accelerated signing bonus cap hit is $9.675 mil. So cutting TO before his June bonus would cost Dallas an incremental $680K in cap space.

Thats not a lot of incremental cost. One could argue its a trivial incremental amount if you wanted to justify cutting him. Of course, the flipside of that argument is that you'd have a $9.675 mil dead spot of cap space. Not the best return on investment.......

Users who are viewing this thread