What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

D'Andre Swift - continues to miss significant practice time with a sore groin (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
Word is that while he's suited up almost every day, he's rarely participated in 7-on7 or 11-on-11 work.

I think Swift has been an easy avoid for quite some time - including rookie drafts last year

He's not that big. He was injured his last year at Georgia. He got injured last year in Detroit - and they never featured him until they had to. They sighed Jamaal Williams in the offseason.

All this adds up to a screaming "avoid" in redraft (and a "get what you can" in dynasty).

Bleacher Report

CBS Sports

NBC Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
Word is that while he's suited up almost every day, he's rarely participated in 7-on7 or 11-on-11 work.

I think

Swift has been an easy avoid for quite some time - including rookie drafts last year

He's not that big. He was injured his last year at Georgia. He got injured last year in Detroit - and they never featured him until they had to. They sighed Jamaal Williams in the offseason.

All this adds up to a screaming "avoid" in redraft (and a "get what you can" in dynasty).

Bleacher Report

CBS Sports

NBC Sports

he went through warmups and walk throughs this morning, they're probably just erring on the side of caution by keeping him out of drills.

Swift is an easy avoid for you. that's an opinion, and while it is widely held, it's not universal.

FBGs projections/rankings have him as RB13, FantasyPros RB15, Mike Clay RB16.

he's listed at various sources as 211 to 215. he is 5'9" so I guess one could say "he's not that big."

doesn't play small - inside the 10 he was 17-45 8TDs, inside the 5 he was 9-13 6

(it's relevant to know Jamaal Williams was 12-23 1 and 5-(-1) 1)

anyway, love seeing these kinds of posts, hope they continue until at least 11am on 8/29

TIA

Yeah, I have him in dynasty in two leagues and him getting off to a slow start with the new regime is not great.

I do love his talent though and think once he's healthy the staff will have no choice but to give him the ball - he's by FAR the most talented skill-position player on the team. He's a great pass catching back and showed to be a great goal-line player last season. Jamal Williams is a solid veteran and the staff seems to love him so volume isn't guaranteed but personally I think at the end of the season Swift ends up as a borderline RB1 or high end RB2.

him getting off to a slow start with the new regime is not great.
That's my biggest concern - as you stated later in your post, the staff seems to love Jamaal and brought him in, while Swift is a holdover. I also think that Swift's talent will win out in the end, but every practice he misses opens the door for more potential work (at least early on) for Jamaal.

Im praying that this makes him fall in drafts..  There is just under 5 weeks until the season....lots of time to heal up....why would they risk him - he's literally their best weapon.  Ill take the discount.  

him getting off to a slow start with the new regime is not great.
That's my biggest concern - as you stated later in your post, the staff seems to love Jamaal and brought him in, while Swift is a holdover. I also think that Swift's talent will win out in the end, but every practice he misses opens the door for more potential work (at least early on) for Jamaal.

Campbell, Lynn and Staley have all been effusive in their praise for Swift and the special qualities he brings twas the table. That didn’t play as well as “new OC says Lions RBs are 1A/1B” with the national media so the dominant theme has been an average 5th year back is going to limit his upside.

He’s a pretty good runner but I would prefer MCDC - who was the longtime AHC to Sean Payton and heavily influenced by that experience - will use him in a Kamara-type roll. 185-200 RA, 85-90 targets. Would like to see him stay healthy enough to be productive at the end of his rookie contract. 

Im praying that this makes him fall in drafts..  There is just under 5 weeks until the season....lots of time to heal up....why would they risk him - he's literally their best weapon.  Ill take the discount.  
The best ability is availability.  Swift has been behind the 8 ball ever since the coaching staff started slobbering all over Williams.  It's time to accept that this is a full-blown RBBC and Swift is not going to have RB1 upside barring injury and the team blowing past their mediocre expectations by a large amount.

Oh, and Swift isn't their best weapon, that's Hockenson.

I was hoping to avoid Lions in general (though if I miss the top 5 TEs I’d probably take him as the last of the potentially elite) but groins can be tricky. 

It’s the kind of injury that can hang around for a while, and even when you feel better it has a nasty way of popping up again. I dealt with a groin strain back in my youth sports days & it effected me for a month. 

Still plenty of time before the season. I’m more concerned about how many touches he’s going to cede to Williams. 

The best ability is availability.  Swift has been behind the 8 ball ever since the coaching staff started slobbering all over Williams.  It's time to accept that this is a full-blown RBBC and Swift is not going to have RB1 upside barring injury and the team blowing past their mediocre expectations by a large amount.

that’s been my preseason take-away. I’m targeting Williams as a RB4-5-6 or whatever so I kinda hope Swift gets cleared for practice / preseason before my draft. 

That or be sweet if Lynn came back out and remind people that Jamaal Williams is his A back, so those people will go back to thinking A means #1.

I imagine Jamaal will be what he’s always been when he was behind Jones. 8-10 touches per game, score a TD since in awhile. I spot started him in the two games Aaron missed and my recollection is 40+ points (maybe a 25-25 pointer in there.) dude def has a role, besides being the most entertaining interview on the squad.

I occasionally hear crutch arguments about “Detroit is really bad this year.” Laying aside that potential game script favors Swift, James Robinson was just RB7 on a one-win team. In 2019, Joe Mixon was RB11 on a two-win team. In ’18, David Johnson was RB10 on a three-win team.

Regarding the injury, I will say this new regime has been super transparent compared t the last 3 HCs. Swartz, Caldwell and Patricia were all “check the report guys”, never offered anything. Campbell and his staff have been very upfront about any injury details. Maybe that changes after the season starts but they haven’t been coy about anything so far.

I imagine Jamaal will be what he’s always been when he was behind Jones. 8-10 touches per game, score a TD since in awhile. I spot started him in the two games Aaron missed and my recollection is 40+ points (maybe a 25-25 pointer in there.) dude def has a role, besides being the most entertaining interview on the squad.

I occasionally hear crutch arguments about “Detroit is really bad this year.” Laying aside that potential game script favors Swift, James Robinson was just RB7 on a one-win team. In 2019, Joe Mixon was RB11 on a two-win team. In ’18, David Johnson was RB10 on a three-win team.

I actually like Jamaal at his price tag and at the same time believing Swift is a steal in round 3. It's ok to feel both ways and I do because I expect big things from this backfield this year. People rag on Anthony Lynn and some it it's justified but one thing he did very well was get elite fantasy production out of RB's on this team. Last year they dipped to 25 PPG from the RB position but 6 games they had Justin Jackson/Kelley/Ballage as the RB options. Two previous seasons they were over 30 PPG for RB's and it's been awhile since I looked this up but over that 2 year span I think they were first or second in the league in fantasy production from the RB spot.

With the strong OL, lack of high end receiving options, likely game script leading to defenses giving dump offs I'm expecting the Lions RB's to be like most of Lynn's past teams and be among the league leaders for fantasy production from the position. There is a lot to go around, but Swift will be taking the lions share.

I don’t know how this flew under the radar has to this point. I’m not drafting Swift until we see him back for a few practices in a row participating in full.

I'm hopeful the lions are cautious with Swift. Soft tissue injuries early are tricky. 

ESPN has his ADP as 33 overall. Does anyone know how that stacks up to other sites? Even with the injury, that's a tempting price for his upside 

I'm hopeful the lions are cautious with Swift. Soft tissue injuries early are tricky. 

ESPN has his ADP as 33 overall. Does anyone know how that stacks up to other sites? Even with the injury, that's a tempting price for his upside 

He's consistently been a 3rd rounder in mock drafts I've done (~40 at this point) 

That’s probably a normal range for him. Somewhere between 30 and 40. 

Oh, and Swift isn't their best weapon, that's Hockenson.
I hope thats the prevailing opinion out there.....obviously Swift needs to be healthy but he has over a month to do so.....while Williams will get his touches I believe Swift will be used quite a bit to more than justify his ADP.....which I hope is getting worse based on this news,  

I'm more concerned with A. Lynn's comments that J. Williams is a 3-down back , that he's their #1 RB, words to that extent. Seems pretty clear cut that they're planning to use Williams a lot more than people think, and of course this will be at the expense of Swift. 

Missing practices with a groin in worrisome. These injuries tend to linger, much like hammy problems. 

but at the end of the day, why are we fishing around for fantasy pts in an offense that's sure to be one of the NFL's worst, clearly on a regression path from last season when they had some half-decent WRs. add Goff to the mixture = :tfp:

Users who are viewing this thread