What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darrell Henderson Jr. back to practice squad (1 Viewer)

It means another team can snag him. No? I think if another team was interested he could be signed off the Rams practice squad.

It means another team can snag him. No? I think if another team was interested he could be signed off the Rams practice squad.
Sort of. It does mean another team can sign him but he has to agree to it, this is not like he's on waivers.

He was not on a roster, has not been able to get a snap or stay on a roster since the Rams cut him. Not even sure he's been game day active for another team since the Rams cut him. Doubt anyone suddenly wants him after one ok game, and doubt he's in a hurry to leave unless someone gave him guarantees he could not resist. As up and down as his relationship with McVay has been that's his one believer right now and he's not in a hurry to walk away from that or bite that hand. Especially with the size of his coaching tree around the league, which is kind of how Gaskin ended up in LA.

The Browns did this practice squad shuffle thing with PJ Walker for 3 weeks and he was their starting QB two of those weeks and backup the other.

yeah I think the way it works is any team can sign someone who is on someone elses practice squad if they are willing to place him on the regular roster. but I think to do so they likely have to waive somebody

I dont know all the ins and outs of it but I dont see Henderson moving to another team if they are just gonna put him on the practice squad. Might as well stay where he is where he has a legit chance to play.

So in the end, this is likely a nothingburger.

I am pretty sure Gaskin can't be moved to the practice squad because he was already poached from another.

Sort of. It does mean another team can sign him but he has to agree to it, this is not like he's on waivers.

He was not on a roster, has not been able to get a snap or stay on a roster since the Rams cut him. Not even sure he's been game day active for another team since the Rams cut him. Doubt anyone suddenly wants him after one ok game, and doubt he's in a hurry to leave unless someone gave him guarantees he could not resist. As up and down as his relationship with McVay has been that's his one believer right now and he's not in a hurry to walk away from that or bite that hand. Especially with the size of his coaching tree around the league, which is kind of how Gaskin ended up in LA.

The Browns did this practice squad shuffle thing with PJ Walker for 3 weeks and he was their starting QB two of those weeks and backup the other.
Yes and he basically fell for a few yards a few times and once it was in the end zone. What he put on film isn't super exciting.

But he gave me a close and important victory when I outbid my opponent Sunday morning. One victory = $234 FAAB even if it's only one game it was worth it.

Spent a lot on Evans also. That was suboptimal.

If another team signs him off LA’s practice squad, they have to keep him on their active roster for a specified period of time. Which should mean higher pay for Henderson. Probably not a big deal, financially for NFL teams; but I’d imagine the difference is significant for the individual.

If another team signs him off LA’s practice squad, they have to keep him on their active roster for a specified period of time. Which should mean higher pay for Henderson. Probably not a big deal, financially for NFL teams; but I’d imagine the difference is significant for the individual.

It’s a 3 game guarantee for the player (same if the team signs someone to their 53-man v 1-game call up.). Significant to any team signing a PS player fm another team bc they have less flexibility with their roster mgt moves.

WRT to vet min v the weekly PS salary, a game check is roughly 3x practice squad. Annualized ~ around $870K v $280K. Almost de minimus to the team but hell to the yeah for the player.

WRT to vet min v the weekly PS salary, a game check is roughly 3x practice squad. Annualized ~ around $870K v $280K. Almost de minimus to the team but hell to the yeah for the player.
Does this mean that last week Henderson made ~$280k/17 since he was called up for 1 game and that Gaskin made ~$870k/17 since he was signed directly to the 53-man roster?

It would be cool to take a college course on the Economics of the NFL, or at least read about it online, any recs?
I think everyone but Kyren Williams is picking up $63,529 a week they are on the 53.

Does this mean that last week Henderson made ~$280k/17 since he was called up for 1 game and that Gaskin made ~$870k/17 since he was signed directly to the 53-man roster?

It would be cool to take a college course on the Economics of the NFL, or at least read about it online, any recs?

see below

Think I've just cobbled together the knowledge from reading about Lions scrubs over the years. Plus I had a friend who was a cousin of Josh Ferguson, he came to our church one week and we took him out to do Street Teams (homeless outreach), afterwards we went out to dinner. He gave me a lot of insight into how flimsy contracts are and some of the economics of being a fringe player in the NFL.

There are around 2300 NFL players under contract. The 53-man active rosters + 16-man practice squads is 2208 (69 x 32.) Plus around 88 players currently IR-R (players designated to return.) Plus another subset who were put on IR and won't return or took an injury settlement and were released.

Out of all those players, there are 112 players with fully guaranteed contracts. Minimum salary is $750,000 for rookies, and it increases with each accrued season: Y2 $870K, Y3 $940K, Y4 $1.01M, Y5-Y7 $1.08M, Y8+ $1.165M For practice squad, rookies get $12,000 per week, or $216,000 for an 18 week season. Veterans on the practice squad get $16,100 or $289,900 for a full season.

Players are vested in the Player Annuity Program after 3 credited seasons. That's a big deal because you get health insurance for life and are eligible to take money out of your account as soon as five years have passed since the last Credited Season. You are eligible to take installment payments or monthly lifetime annuity payments once you are age 35 and at least five years have passed since your last Credited Season.

Seasons accrue when you are on the roster, IR or PUP for 6 games. However, NFI and practice squad players do not accrue seasons; that's only if you are on the 53-man.

Users who are viewing this thread