What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB (4 Viewers)

He’s insanely strong for his size
He's reportedly very strong in the weight room, but doesn't transfer it all to the field. Thompson is a strong runner for his size, though.

I've seen some comments which essentially make him out to be a rich man's Tarik Cohen, but he's a poor man's version, IMO.

In short, not dynamic enough to make up for his lack of size.

RushHour said:
No one would care about this guy if Waldman didn't rate him highly. Take a flier sure, but feels like a bit too much hype for a 6th round RB regardless of situation. 
If there’s one position where you can discount draft position, it’s the devalued RB. Not saying Thompson will amount to anything, but his draft stock isn’t what would scare me away.

If there’s one position where you can discount draft position, it’s the devalued RB. Not saying Thompson will amount to anything, but his draft stock isn’t what would scare me away.
RBs have not been devalued in the draft - that was a theory being floated when there weren’t any going early, but the truth was there just weren’t a lot of good backs coming into the league. The last 4-5 years, including this year when it was a relatively weaker draft for RBs, there was at least one RB taken in round 1 including four in the top ten picks. 

Take a look at any RB rankings and then check to see where each was drafted and you’d see a large percentage will be first and second round picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
RBs have not been devalued in the draft - that was a theory being floated when there weren’t any going early, but the truth was there just weren’t a lot of good backs coming into the league. The last 4-5 years, including this year when it was a relatively weaker draft for RBs, there was at least one RB taken in round 1 including three in the top ten picks. 

Take a look at any RB rankings and then check to see where each was drafted and you’d see a large percentage will be first and second round picks.
There have been a lot more RBs drafted earlier the past few years, so you're right it's not as devalued as in years past. In terms of rankings, there's going to be some recency bias because starting RBs don't last too long. My overall point is that for every Zeke/Gurley,/Barkley/McCaffrey etc.,  there are several impact RBs like  Kamara, David Johnson, Freeman, Chris Carson,  Lindsay etc. that don't go in the first two rounds or are even undrafted. Good RBs can - and often are - found way beyond their draft pedigree.

I totally get the skepticism that a 6th round draft pick RB will make a significant impact and I don't think anyone is advocating taking him in the top half of a draft.  But KC just lost (or will likely lose) one of their top contributors on offense who was 5'8" 185lb and could line up anywhere on the field and be a match up nightmare.  They drafted two rookies who are 5' 8" and 190-200lbs that can line up anywhere on the field and be match up nightmares.  To me it looks like the Chiefs have a plan for what they want to do on offense and I while I don't think either Hardman or Thompson replace all of Hill's production individually I think Thompson can replace enough of Hill and some of Hunt's production to be worth a worthwhile fantasy asset.

Thompson has the added benefit of having two rather pedestrian RB's ahead of him on the depth chart as well. 

I might be missing something here.

I don’t see Thompson as a meaningful threat to replace Hill’s reps and value in the offense, I see him as absorbing a good portion of Hunt’s spot. From what I have seen, Thompson’s strengths are running between the tackles, making people miss on quick hitters either by shifting out of tackles or bouncing through them, and on swing and circle routes in the passing game.  When he’s called on to run stretch plays he seems too impatient and will run up his blockers’ backs.  And I didn’t see much of him iso’ed on LBs or Ss in the slot or out wide, and I don’t see a route tree as anything he has mastered.

This guys looks like much more of a traditional RB for work between the 20s than a CoP 3rd down RB.   It seems like some people are assuming a different role for him because of his size/stature.  Am I way off base here?

There have been a lot more RBs drafted earlier the past few years, so you're right it's not as devalued as in years past. In terms of rankings, there's going to be some recency bias because starting RBs don't last too long. My overall point is that for every Zeke/Gurley,/Barkley/McCaffrey etc.,  there are several impact RBs like  Kamara, David Johnson, Freeman, Chris Carson,  Lindsay etc. that don't go in the first two rounds or are even undrafted. Good RBs can - and often are - found way beyond their draft pedigree.
Kamara and Johnson were a third round picks (so still pretty high) and Freeman went in the fourth. Sure there are a few UDFAs starting but that applies to other positions as well.

I do agree that we can't write some one off strictly because they were a sixth round pick but we also have to admit that it makes the odds longer. 

Kamara and Johnson were a third round picks (so still pretty high) and Freeman went in the fourth. Sure there are a few UDFAs starting but that applies to other positions as well.

I do agree that we can't write some one off strictly because they were a sixth round pick but we also have to admit that it makes the odds longer. 
I can agree with that. In most cases it's talent, but sometimes a modicum of talent + a good situation breeds fantasy success.  This could be one of those situations if DW falters.

Football Jones said:
He's reportedly very strong in the weight room, but doesn't transfer it all to the field. Thompson is a strong runner for his size, though.

I've seen some comments which essentially make him out to be a rich man's Tarik Cohen, but he's a poor man's version, IMO.

In short, not dynamic enough to make up for his lack of size.
He looked like a strong runner on tape to me. He’s being drafted in round 3 of rookie drafts. I like him a lot at that price 

RushHour said:
No one would care about this guy if Waldman didn't rate him highly. Take a flier sure, but feels like a bit too much hype for a 6th round RB regardless of situation. 
Where does Waldman have him ranked?  I don't subscribe to the RSP.  I drafted him at 3.12 in one league.  I like him at that price.  KC is a fantasy goldmine, and the opportunity is there for him to carve out a role.  The RBs in my league who went in the 4th round after him were Bryce Love, Elijah Holyfield, and Rodney Anderson.  I did not think any of those offered the same upside. 

RushHour said:

This kid has some very strong marks from several scouting services.  Well above some much more popular power 5 RBs.

PFF has been pretty high on him, too. They did a feature pre-draft and have done a couple of things on him after the Chiefs picked him. I think everyone pointing to his 6th round spot is exactly right about that typically being a variable in hit rates historically. If his adp starts to creep into the mid 2nd in rookie drafts then I think that's a different discussion than mid 3rd, where he seems like one of the better fliers in that range to me.

PFF has been pretty high on him, too. They did a feature pre-draft and have done a couple of things on him after the Chiefs picked him. I think everyone pointing to his 6th round spot is exactly right about that typically being a variable in hit rates historically. If his adp starts to creep into the mid 2nd in rookie drafts then I think that's a different discussion than mid 3rd, where he seems like one of the better fliers in that range to me.
One you get out of round 2 in rookie drafts anything is fair game - at least Thompson has a ton of upside if he hits.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
I like James Williams more as far as a stash. Boobie is already their best pass-catcher & he's really good in space.

Neither Thompson or Williams has the skill set I look for in potential feature backs, but until KC's backfield gets sorted out, any legit prospect is worth a hold.

The one advantage Thompson has is he was drafted, but I like Boobie's upside more (even in non-PPR).

Went 18 in one Devy League, and 26 in the other. 
Dev drafts aren't very reliable indicators though, each one is different based on how many underclassmen were already rostered.

Given the past two posts, I’d say this was an accurate call.
Huh?  29 isn't a 2nd in many leagues and dev drafts are total wildcards.  Mid-3rd and later is where most are reporting him going.  I don't think I've seen a single top-24 that's not a dev draft, and he didn't crack it in mine either, going 31.

Dev drafts aren't very reliable indicators though, each one is different based on how many underclassmen were already rostered.

Huh?  29 isn't a 2nd in many leagues and dev drafts are total wildcards.  Mid-3rd and later is where most are reporting him going.  I don't think I've seen a single top-24 that's not a dev draft, and he didn't crack it in mine either, going 31.
5 picks off going on the second and I’ve seen him go in the second in my own personal leagues, to my dismay. It is the path he will continue to head down with as thin as that backfield is ahead of him.

He looked like a strong runner on tape to me. He’s being drafted in round 3 of rookie drafts. I like him a lot at that price 
Yup.  I snagged him at 3.15 in a 16-teamer where you have the option of going with an "empty backfield".  Still love where I got him.

Hankmoody said:
It's cute that you just adjust all picks to a 12-team league equivalent.  29 and 31 are late 2nds in every one of my 16-team leagues, and he was a 1st round pick in my 32-team league!

It's cute that you just adjust all picks to a 12-team league equivalent.  29 and 31 are late 2nds in every one of my 16-team leagues, and he was a 1st round pick in my 32-team league!
It's even cuter that you don't read what I wrote.

I have a feeling this guy's value is going to continue to rise as we get closer to the regular season. 

Not necessarily an affirmation of Thompson, but mainly a lack of conviction in either Damien Williams or Hyde despite it being a very RB friendly system. West and Ware were eventually exposed (granted injuries played a part), and I think the same will happen with Williams/Hyde.

The odds of a 6th rounder panning out is virtually slim to none.  I'll pass.
I'm sorry what Round did Phillip Lindsay get drafted in last year? Oh that's right he didn't lol..Also Brady and AB were 6 rnd picks...

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2019/05/31/darwin-thompson-kansas-city-chiefs-ota-takeaways/

Darwin Thompson Impressing Early: Kansas City Chiefs OTA Takeaways

By

David Latham, Managing Editor

- 

May 31, 2019

The Kansas City Chiefs off-season activities are underway, and already some young players are beginning to stand out. While it’s important to note that all coaches lie at this point in the season, rookie running back Darwin Thompson is getting a significant amount of praise from the coaching staff. While Damien Williams currently sits atop the depth chart, Thompson could earn a role if he continues to progress.

Darwin Thompson has barely had more than a cup of coffee with the Kansas City Chiefs organization, yet he’s already impressing offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy. When asked about the sixth-round rookie, Bieniemy called Thompson “incredible” and a person “you fall in love with”. The offensive coordinator continued to say 123 words about Thompson’s talent, which “speaks for itself” and his “tremendous” work ethic.

This is the time for hyperbole, but Thompson easily received the most praise from Bieniemy out of any player. Seeing as he’s the offensive coordinator, this bodes well for Thompson’s career. Even though he’s currently buried on the depth chart, there’s reason to believe he can quickly climb the ranks in Kansas City.

Why Thompson Can Climb the Depth Chart

Anyone who watched the 2018 Chiefs knows that Damien Williams came on strong to finish the season. Stepping in for Kareem Hunt, the former Miami Dolphin recorded 256 rushing yards and four touchdowns on 50 carries, good for 5.1 yards-per-attempt. Additionally, he added 23 receptions for 160 yards and two touchdowns during the regular season. On paper, this was a fantastic production which should ensure job security.

However, the film tells a dramatically different story. Williams entered 2018 as a journeyman backup who never impressed during four years with the Dolphins. During his time in Miami, Williams recorded just 3.6 yards-per-carry on 133 attempts. This average is truly atrocious and made him one of the least efficient running backs in the league. His 2018 season truly came out of nowhere, and there are two explanations for his success. Either Andy Reid found a way to eliminate his flaws, or Williams was simply placed in the perfect situation.

A deeper dive in the numbers suggests the later. Teams were afraid of Patrick Mahomes’ ability to throw the ball and basically allowed Kansas City to run the ball at will. Williams faced just 6.4 men in the box per carry, which is well below the league average. Additionally, Williams ranked just 112th in yards created per carry, which obviously isn’t good. He simply couldn’t pick up any yardage aside from what the blocking provided.

If Damien Williams had a breakout season in 2018, then Carlos Hyde had a broken season. The former second-round pick averaged just 3.3 yards-per-carry in 14 games with the Cleveland Browns and the Jacksonville Jaguars. While his subpar performance was partially due to atrocious situations, there’s no denying that Hyde simply didn’t perform well when given the ball. Additionally, he offers next-to-nothing as a pass-catcher, which is a problem in this offense.

Darwin Thompson Primed for Breakout

Damien Williams isn’t a good running back and Carlos Hyde is too one-dimensional to play all three downs. This leaves opportunity for others, and Thompson is in position to capitalize on said opportunity. Damien Williams can adequately start, but Kansas City shouldn’t be afraid to let Darwin Thompson take over if he proves to be the better player.

The coaching staff loves him, and it’s easy to see why. The Utah State product has good vision and showed promise as a pass-catcher, averaging 15.3 yards-per-reception in 2018. Additionally, he’s a good athlete who would have tested in the top-five at his position in a few drills if he were invited to the NFL Combine.

It won’t be easy for Thompson, as Williams played well last year and received a contract extension for his efforts. However, the rookie has already impressed the coaches and could continue his rise over the off-season. Most sixth-round picks don’t turn into instant-impact players, but most sixth-round picks aren’t Darwin Thompson.

Sent from my iPhone

This reeks of RBBC, despite what the coach says
I would like to take you seriously but your "like percentage" is terrible. All kidding aside, these kind of stories pop up every year for these types of prospects. The smaller guy fighting for his piece of the pie. I like Thompson but the more I examine him I am just not sure he is special enough to really have a drastic impact at this level. Certainly rooting for him and he is an impressive specimen for his size in certain aspects. However his speed appears marginal, not sure his acceleration stacks up against higher quality competition, and although powerful for his size....the NFL is a different beast. Hope for the best but not expecting as much as I originally was. 

I would like to take you seriously but your "like percentage" is terrible. All kidding aside, these kind of stories pop up every year for these types of prospects. The smaller guy fighting for his piece of the pie. I like Thompson but the more I examine him I am just not sure he is special enough to really have a drastic impact at this level. Certainly rooting for him and he is an impressive specimen for his size in certain aspects. However his speed appears marginal, not sure his acceleration stacks up against higher quality competition, and although powerful for his size....the NFL is a different beast. Hope for the best but not expecting as much as I originally was. 
I wasn't even really saying that in praise of Thompson.  I just don't believe in any of these guys and think the Chiefs will probably just go with whoever seems to be performing at the time.  None of these guys are Kareem Hunt.

I wasn't even really saying that in praise of Thompson.  I just don't believe in any of these guys and think the Chiefs will probably just go with whoever seems to be performing at the time.  None of these guys are Kareem Hunt.
You may be right, but I think if Williams can perform like he did last season there will be no reason for a true committee unless someone really sticks out. 

You may be right, but I think if Williams can perform like he did last season there will be no reason for a true committee unless someone really sticks out. 
I'd bet on Williams seeing a large majority of the work. Like 65% at least, until he proves he can't handle it. Its possible Hyde takes GL work from him(he sucks at everything else, so they had to have signed him for something right?) and Thompson likely plays special teams until somebody else either disappoints or gets hurt. Of course, Williams has no track record, and Hyde's track record is disappointing, so that chance may come before midseason. 

Ultimately, Thompson is a long shot to be more than a RBBC player, and likely the lesser part. Solid 3rd round lottery ticket in dynasty drafts though.

Additionally, Williams ranked just 112th in yards created per carry, which obviously isn’t good. He simply couldn’t pick up any yardage aside from what the blocking provided.
This is simply untrue.  He was actually 12th in this statistic, not 112th.  He averaged 1.67 yards created per carry.  

That's a typo on PlayerProfiler, which I'm assuming is where the article writer got their facts from.  They should probably double-check before spewing such blatantly incorrect information.  For reference, his 1.67, which ranked 12th, was better than Hunts mark of 1.57.

Boobie cut on Thursday
That's interesting. A fair amount of people liked his talent. Boobie is a plus natural receiver with plus escapability. His release might not be performance related, but it's certainly possible.

WIlliams couldn't have landed in a better situation, but for whatever reason, it didn't work out. I liked him more than Thompson simply because of his upside in that offense, meaning he had a chance to be their pass-catcher compared to Thompson's lack of ability to be anything more than a backup (IMO).

It's hard to go wrong with taking a shot late with ANY player you like, but I'm seeing Thompson go pretty early. He's a decent flier because virtually any drafted RB in that offense is worth a pick, but I don't particularly like his skill set as it relates to being a legit FF asset.

That's interesting. A fair amount of people liked his talent. Williams is a plus natural receiver with plus escapability. His release might not be performance related, but it's certainly possible.

Boobie couldn't have landed in a better situation, but for whatever reason, it didn't work out. I liked him more than Thompson simply because of his upside in that offense, meaning he had a chance to be their pass-catcher compared to Thompson's lack of ability to be anything more than a backup.

It's hard to go wrong with taking a shot late with any player you like, but I'm seeing Thompson go pretty early. Thompson is a decent flier because virtually any drafted RB in that offense is worth a pick, but I don't particularly like his skill set as it relates to being a legit FF asset.
Power, pass catching ability and heart. What aren't you seeing?

I'm not seeing Thompson's ability to be a long-term factor in the NFL. Thompson is worth a pick for sure, but he's starting to go WAY early for me.

That said, I'll draft anyone if I think I can turn them for a profit. Thompson makes a decent flier, but the problem is you can't get him as a flier.

Pass blocking, size, and a role in the offense. He's an older rookie at 23, he's 3 inches shorter and 12-15 pounds lighter than Williams at 5'8" 198-200 lbs, and he's bad at pass blocking. He was a 6th round pick who is hoping to just make the team, and he's got a difficult road to get there let alone a starting job.  Guys his size and shape typically hope to get a shot on special teams and an occasional offensive snap before maybe getting a third down role.  But even if he beats the odds, makes the team, passes one of Damien Williams, hyde and Darrell Williams to make the roster (the chiefs typically keep 3 backs plus a fullback) then passes the other two to not only get touches but actually get to start, and then has over 600 yards and 10 touchdowns in his first 6 starts he'll apparently be a hard sell next offseason because nobody will believe in him and will be betting on the next next big thing. 

For them to cut Williams so quickly could be a testament to Thompson. His size/strength ratio is crazy and the RB coach I see already singing his praises. Intrigued I am for sure...

And he is quite slow for his size. What was he doing for his college career? Was he a transfer because all I see is 1 year of playing time where he pretty evenly split the backfield with some nobody. 

I find him intriguing, not guaranteeing hall of fame. He may not have great long speed but is shifty and his height is advantage IMO. May have split but was pretty darn effective with that. Good elusiveness and power for his size along with pass catching prowess...worth monitoring in an Andy Reid offense.

Users who are viewing this thread