What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB (3 Viewers)

Man I think everyone, including FBG, has soured way too much on him, the pendulum has swung too far into an overcorrection.

I remember Damien Williams getting dinged and McCoy is old, so I'd think more of a injury risk.   You want to talk about a second half league winner, this guy is worth a stash in my mind.  I believe in the talent and its the best situation in football.  
redraft it would be tough for me to burn a spot that long if you're waiting for not one, but two guys to get injured for him to possibly be productive. I've played that game before and it usually doesn't work out.   That said if I drafted him I wouldn't be cutting him until after I see at least week one shake out.

Dynasty different story, I'm with you on the talent.

Man I think everyone, including FBG, has soured way too much on him, the pendulum has swung too far into an overcorrection.

I remember Damien Williams getting dinged and McCoy is old, so I'd think more of a injury risk.   You want to talk about a second half league winner, this guy is worth a stash in my mind.  I believe in the talent and its the best situation in football.  
What are your expectations?    

Both Darwin and Singletary are really small running backs.  It's not as though injuries will suddenly turn them into workhorses.  I think Darwin has standalone value all season based on how creatively I think Reid will use him,  but I don't see any situation this season where he becomes a league winner.  I see Thompson as a rich-man's Tariq Cohen.  It'll be exciting when he gets his touches,  but he' won't be called into a feature role.  Will also be tough to know when those big point games will come too.

Agree with this 100%.

I’ve been saying it since the  mccoy signing.  I really don’t see how much has changed, other than the fact that he still one injury away from flex-worthy relevance. 

And since one guy seems to get hurt a lot, and the other guy is 31 years old, I think he’s still a great lottery ticket draft and stash if you have a sizable enough roster. 

The only difference is that with one injury, Thompson becomes part of a running back committee, whereas before, with one injury it was presumed he would become a feature back. 

But I’m not even sure how true that presumption was.  If Williams went down, I don’t see  A scenario where the Chiefs don’t bring another running back in. 

So in that context, pretty much nothing has changed  from a lottery ticket standpoint other than having one other back there as part of the committee. 

The only short term hit to his value manifested in the last couple weeks of the preseason, when Andy Reid hinted that Thompson would be more heavily involved. 

But who knows how true that really was. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am holding for at least 2-3 weeks to see how Reid uses him.  Would be shocked if they don't hand him the rock 4-5 times and throw 4-5 passes his way.  Also, the goal line work, wasn't there a report that Darwin was getting some of that:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/kansas-city-chiefs-rookie-rb-darwin-thompson-getting-goal-line-work-with-starters-training-camp/

If he is getting at around 10 touches (or more) a game in the KC offense, he will be an every week flex start IMO, with major blowup potential.

Both Darwin and Singletary are really small running backs.  It's not as though injuries will suddenly turn them into workhorses.  I think Darwin has standalone value all season based on how creatively I think Reid will use him,  but I don't see any situation this season where he becomes a league winner.  I see Thompson as a rich-man's Tariq Cohen.  It'll be exciting when he gets his touches,  but he' won't be called into a feature role.  Will also be tough to know when those big point games will come too.
Agree100 percent with this.

I am holding for at least 2-3 weeks to see how Reid uses him.  Would be shocked if they don't hand him the rock 4-5 times and throw 4-5 passes his way.  Also, the goal line work, wasn't there a report that Darwin was getting some of that:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/kansas-city-chiefs-rookie-rb-darwin-thompson-getting-goal-line-work-with-starters-training-camp/

If he is getting at around 10 touches (or more) a game in the KC offense, he will be an every week flex start IMO, with major blowup potential.
I guess I assumed Mccoy has scored so many touchdowns for Reid that he would default into that role once he signed.  

I don't see a scenario in which they use Williams, Mccoy, and still find 10 touches for Darwin.  I'd love it if I'm wrong.  And if in his limited touches, he breaks some plays--they'll have to find ways to get him on the field.

I’d say he’s a poor man’s Cohen (if we’re basing it on last year).  Barring injury, you can’t even play him as a flex until we see way more.  

That said, I’m holding while I can.  

Smack Tripper said:

Todd Gurley would like to have a word with you.

Gopher State said:
You have to have deep benches to hold him, maybe next year, but no value this year
Short bench here....but holding....screw it.  Like what I saw and a 4 man keeper.  So will risk it.

Futz said:
I'm absolutely with you. The cream will rise to the top. Hold as long as your situation will allow you to.
How exactly is he the cream over a guy who had a good season last year in Williams and an experienced vet familiar with the system in McCoy? He’s a very clear #3

What has changed is that I was able to get him in the 14th round instead of the 8th round. We have deep benches so I view him as a free roll. I would advise holding on to him if you can. It's a long season and injuries will happen. I have no doubt he will be fantasy relevant at some point. This will require patience.

How exactly is he the cream over a guy who had a good season last year in Williams and an experienced vet familiar with the system in McCoy? He’s a very clear #3
Williams had a good 50 carries and there's concern he may not be feature back material. Meanwhile Lesean was showing very little left in the tank and is always an injury concern. You are right, he is #3 for now until he isn't. The writing is on the wall for me though so I will try to wait it out. This isn't Miami's offense so the #3 here with these circumstances holds quite a bit of value to me.

Williams had a good 50 carries and there's concern he may not be feature back material. Meanwhile Lesean was showing very little left in the tank and is always an injury concern. You are right, he is #3 for now until he isn't. The writing is on the wall for me though so I will try to wait it out. This isn't Miami's offense so the #3 here with these circumstances holds quite a bit of value to me.
I get that but he was also a 6th round pick. I don’t think there is much about him that separates him from the other two at all. 

the thing about dropping him is there is no guarantee you can get him back....

unless the dude you are dropping him for looks like some kind of league changer than he is probably worth holding over some jag....

you must be new here.....
Unfortunately not, just not a fan of “you’re wrong” posts without a viable explanation and I’ll call people out on it.

The community here as a whole is very supportive and has helped me immensely. We had a good chat and I learned.

I drafted him at 1.09 before singletary right before the mccoy signing. This was in my 18yr dynasty league and i usually shoot for upside especially that low in the 1st. Now i did this after reading and watching tape on him like i usually try to do before selections.

Non of this makes me feel any better with mccoy there this year, they are not paying him 4m to sit... on the other hand i know what i saw and read from team management there and this kid looks special in that offense.

Do i think mccoy will take carries away... absolutely, even with DWill thats gonna happen. But i do believe injuries happen, vets get older and slower and somehow or some way this kids gonna get a chance on this team this year or next. Hes a very good high upside play it out wait and see pick. 

In dynasty id be trying to buy low with the mccoy bews honestly.

I drafted him at 1.09 before singletary right before the mccoy signing. This was in my 18yr dynasty league and i usually shoot for upside especially that low in the 1st. Now i did this after reading and watching tape on him like i usually try to do before selections.

Non of this makes me feel any better with mccoy there this year, they are not paying him 4m to sit... on the other hand i know what i saw and read from team management there and this kid looks special in that offense.

Do i think mccoy will take carries away... absolutely, even with DWill thats gonna happen. But i do believe injuries happen, vets get older and slower and somehow or some way this kids gonna get a chance on this team this year or next. Hes a very good high upside play it out wait and see pick. 

In dynasty id be trying to buy low with the mccoy bews honestly.
After watching Hard Knocks and hearing Gruden praising and saying how much he loved rookie WR Doss, and then cut him, I’m not paying too attention on what the teams say about a player. I like Thompson  I’ll hold him, but say Justin Jackson is available, I’ll try and pick him up and drop Thompson if need be. 

Yuk... not good.  Anyone holding?  one touch/target all game.  Looks like its gonna be the mccoy/williams show.

Yuk... not good.  Anyone holding?  one touch/target all game.  Looks like its gonna be the mccoy/williams show.
I'm dumping for Gio cuz I own Mixon.....I'd like to hold, and if I had a deeper bench I would.  I think he'll get his shot at some point.

I'm gonna have to drop him because of short benches. I'm dropping him over Hill and Singletary, for what it's worth.

The talent is there, but McCoy being so involved makes me think that this won't be Thompson's year. One of the two guys ahead of him will have to get hurt for him to be fantasy relevant this season.

Dynasty hold.  McCoy is 60, and Williams is the definition of JAG, despite what any of his overly-optimistic dynasty owners wish/believe.

Handcuff for Williams/McCoy owners and nothing more for redraft 2019. He's not going to unseat those guys unless injury strikes. They and this offense are far too effective for him to do so. That said, all it takes is for either DWill or McCoy to go down and Thompson becomes instantly startable as a flex or perhaps even an RB2. And when you're talking two guys, rather than one in an either/or proposition, the injury odds and payoffs are perhaps worth continued redraft rostering. I don't think I'd do it, but I could see holding onto the lotto ticket until injuries/byes elsewhere on a roster or a hot waiver pickup forces the hand.

Through two games, Chiefs aren’t running the ball very well - particularly Williams. Not exactly a hallmark of an Andy Reid team.

Not saying Thompson will get much work with McCoy and Williams healthy, and the team winning handily, but still a situation to watch IMO.

One thing that was encouraging about Williams’ injury is that he was spotted on the sideline with his helmet. It wasn’t something where he needed to head to the locker room early. That would indicate that the Chiefs are merely being cautious with an important player on the offense. It’s possible that Williams comes out of this with just a knee contusion.

Needless to say, we’ll be paying close attention to the status of Williams this week as the Chiefs head back to Arrowhead Stadium for their home opener against the Baltimore Ravens.

Handcuff for Williams/McCoy owners and nothing more for redraft 2019. He's not going to unseat those guys unless injury strikes. They and this offense are far too effective for him to do so. That said, all it takes is for either DWill or McCoy to go down and Thompson becomes instantly startable as a flex or perhaps even an RB2. And when you're talking two guys, rather than one in an either/or proposition, the injury odds and payoffs are perhaps worth continued redraft rostering. I don't think I'd do it, but I could see holding onto the lotto ticket until injuries/byes elsewhere on a roster or a hot waiver pickup forces the hand.
McCoy and Williams have not been good.  Either could be replaced soon.  Andy Reid might have even known that he would likely replace McCoy or Williams but he was going to give them first shot to see what he had in them before putting in the superior talent:  Darwin Thompson.

Can Thompson pass block? Because if not then I don't care how Williams or McCoy run the ball, their #1 priority is protecting the goods.
The Chiefers would be smart to sign a running back that kicks major butt at pass blocking.  He could be lacking in every other facet.  He'd hopefully excel at special teams, too.

Waldman did a whole write up on DT and his pass blocking prowess was highlighted.  I think its in the string somewhere linked - possibly by me.  I think pass blocking is a strength.

So....shady reportedly had an ankle injury. DWill exited in the 4th with a knee injury. 

Doing some quick math here...carry the 1, = I sure hope y’all held onto your DThompson shares because this one seems to be trending in the right direction. 

Users who are viewing this thread