What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daughter's math homework (1 Viewer)

After thinking about this a few times a year over the last 9, I'd like to officially propose to the math notation powers that be that we no longer use the - to designate a negative number. Instead we should use a strike through.

-5^2 is unclear

5^2 is clear

An answer of -25 would involve squaring an imaginary number, and -5^2 involves all real numbers, so 25 is the correct number.

An answer of -25 would involve squaring an imaginary number, and -5^2 involves all real numbers, so 25 is the correct number.
There's a 563-page thread on this somewhere. It was pretty conclusively established that -5^2 = -25 according to the conventional order of operations.

We're not squaring an imaginary number. We're squaring five. The unary minus is applied after the exponentiation.

There's a 563-page thread on this somewhere. It was pretty conclusively established that -5^2 = -25 according to the conventional order of operations.

We're not squaring an imaginary number. We're squaring five. The unary minus is applied after the exponentiation.
Or we're squaring negative five. -5^2 is sloppy notation and that's the only thing that can be conclusively established.

Or we're squaring negative five.
That would be a non-standard order of operations, akin to saying that 5 + 2 * 4 = 28 (rather than 13).

Last edited by a moderator:

That would be a non-standard order of operations, akin to saying that 5 + 2 * 4 = 28 (rather than 13).
No, negative five is an integer. There is no operation being done other than squaring an integer.

What is the co-efficient on -x^2? It's -1. The x^2 is being multiplied by -1. Now apply this same thought process to -5^2. It's basic order of operations.

dparker713 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
dparker713 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Snoopy said:

No, negative five is an integer. There is no operation being done other than squaring an integer.
There are two operations signaled by the two operators ("^" for exponentiation and "-" for negation). The question is what order the two operations should be performed in. The standard convention is to give priority to the exponentiation.

Negative five is an integer, but if you want "-5" to be treated as the integer negative five (and not as the integer five with the unary minus operator being applied to it), you need to put parentheses around it, like so: "(-5)". There is no doubting that (-5)^2 = 25.

dparker713 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
dparker713 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Snoopy said:

There are two operations signaled by the two operators ("^" for exponentiation and "-" for negation). The question is what order the two operations should be performed in. The standard convention is to give priority to the exponentiation.

Negative five is an integer, but if you want "-5" to be treated as the integer negative five (and not as the integer five with the unary minus operator being applied to it), you need to put parentheses around it, like so: "(-5)". There is no doubting that (-5)^2 = 25.
Negation is not an operation. Subtraction is an operation.

And your notational convention is hardly universal, both people and programs dispute your claim.

Ilov80s said:
What is the co-efficient on -x^2? It's -1. The x^2 is being multiplied by -1. Now apply this same thought process to -5^2. It's basic order of operations.
Or, the co-efficient is 1 and you're subtracting the result. Regardless, the notation for variables and constants is not the same.

And your notational convention is hardly universal, both people and programs dispute your claim.
No. People and programs don't dispute this. Morons dispute this. Hope that clears it up. You're welcome.

Who the #### takes on Maurile?

dparker713 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
dparker713 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Snoopy said:

Negation is an operation. So is subtraction.

You're right that the convention is not universal. MS Excel uses a different convention, for example. But they do not dispute my claim. They acknowledge that their treatment of the unary minus in the order of operations is non-standard.

yahoo says its 25
My cat was about to chime in with an answer, but instead coughed up a hairball. Seemed equally relevant compared to the opinions of some of the mouth breathers that can't hold back from displaying their lack of a mathematics education.

I wonder if I'm qualified to share a opinion. What sort of qualifications are necessary? I hope its not a 170+ IQ.

dparker713 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Snoopy said:

Or we're squaring negative five. -5^2 is sloppy notation and that's the only thing that can be conclusively established.
It's only sloppy notation if you are indeed squaring -5.

No. People and programs don't dispute this. Morons dispute this. Hope that clears it up. You're welcome.

Who the #### takes on Maurile?
NOT EXCELLENT
I humbly await arbitrary assignment of punishment.

This thread reminds me of the Sterling hubbub over racists comments and the president's response to those comments. Just let the ignorant keep talking and they will let the world know what they are. That said, I think I'll just skulk away now and watch as there's an equally likely chance I'll make an ### of myself too.

Users who are viewing this thread