What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Boston with a little DUI action (1 Viewer)

The Trampa Tribune is reporting that the Buccaneers have conducted their own investigation into David Boston's arrest and are confident he is innocent of the charges he faces.

The details of Boston's arrest are strange. He was passed out at the wheel of his car, but his arrest video shows him volunteering to take a breathalyser and a blood test. The Bucs are positive his urine test will come back negative, and if so, he seems set to make the team.

:thumbup:

Will they be running test for kryptonite? He seemed a little woosy when he tried to go airborne. Anyone question Lex Luthor yet, I mean Michael Clayton?

The Trampa Tribune is reporting that the Buccaneers have conducted their own investigation into David Boston's arrest and are confident he is innocent of the charges he faces.The details of Boston's arrest are strange. He was passed out at the wheel of his car, but his arrest video shows him volunteering to take a breathalyser and a blood test. The Bucs are positive his urine test will come back negative, and if so, he seems set to make the team. :thumbup:
:thumbup: Rock on! What are the chances that he had just taken pain killers, or something else provided by the Bucs own staff? Certainly stuff like that can make you drowsy.

David Boston could have been very nervous.. Not becuase he was on any illegal substance...

How many of us would do well ( with no notice ) and not fidgit if you new that what you do in the next 15 minutes could mean the difference between making 40k per year or 1,000,000.00 per year. Your next 15 minutes could cost you millions of dollars..

I would be very nervous and fidgity and not be able to follow the cops instructions to the T. and ask the cop to repeat himself just to make sure I understood correctly.

I would like to see a retired person pass this test.. knowing that most cant shouldnt they be arrested or at least banned from driving?

David Boston could have been very nervous.. Not becuase he was on any illegal substance... How many of us would do well ( with no notice ) and not fidgit if you new that what you do in the next 15 minutes could mean the difference between making 40k per year or 1,000,000.00 per year. Your next 15 minutes could cost you millions of dollars..I would be very nervous and fidgity and not be able to follow the cops instructions to the T. and ask the cop to repeat himself just to make sure I understood correctly.I would like to see a retired person pass this test.. knowing that most cant shouldnt they be arrested or at least banned from driving?
Failing the field sobriety is not really a big deal if you're sober. It's very inconvenient to get arrested for it, true, but they don't charge you for failing a field sobriety test. They charge you for DUI, the proof is the breathalyzer and blood/urine tests. The field tests are a part of the probable cause to "search" your body for drugs. If his blood is clean they won't charge him with anything. nada, nothing and other than being inconvenienced it won't affect his job status at all. It's not the next 15 minutes that will cost him his job, it's the past 24 hours. He might not have thought of that at the time, sure he'd be nervous. He very well might have thought about his career derailed by an arrest, but in truth as long as he is clean there is nothing more than inconvenience. You go to the station and do the blood/urine tests (which is what he wanted to do anyways) and whistle on your way out with no charges.

David Boston could have been very nervous.. Not becuase he was on any illegal substance...

How many of us would do well ( with no notice ) and not fidgit if you new that what you do in the next 15 minutes could mean the difference between making 40k per year or 1,000,000.00 per year. Your next 15 minutes could cost you millions of dollars..

I would be very nervous and fidgity and not be able to follow the cops instructions to the T. and ask the cop to repeat himself just to make sure I understood correctly.

I would like to see a retired person pass this test.. knowing that most cant shouldnt they be arrested or at least banned from driving?
Failing the field sobriety is not really a big deal if you're sober. It's very inconvenient to get arrested for it, true, but they don't charge you for failing a field sobriety test. They charge you for DUI, the proof is the breathalyzer and blood/urine tests. The field tests are a part of the probable cause to "search" your body for drugs. If his blood is clean they won't charge him with anything. nada, nothing and other than being inconvenienced it won't affect his job status at all. It's not the next 15 minutes that will cost him his job, it's the past 24 hours. He might not have thought of that at the time, sure he'd be nervous. He very well might have thought about his career derailed by an arrest, but in truth as long as he is clean there is nothing more than inconvenience. You go to the station and do the blood/urine tests (which is what he wanted to do anyways) and whistle on your way out with no charges.
If they were going to take him down to the station and give him breath/blood/urine tests whether or not he passed the field sobriety test, then why give him the field sobriety test? If the field sobriety test can't form the basis for bringing charges, then what's the point?That's why I think people are reacting negatively to this cop. He shouldn't have wasted everyone's time with the FST if it couldn't help or hurt either party one way or the other.

I had a similar experience with a cop who was going to tow my car because I didn't have the registration sticker updated. I had paid the registration fee and done everything else, but the smog test for some reason wasn't showing up in the state's computer system so they hadn't sent me the sticker. (I didn't follow up on it like I should have, but that's a separate issue.) When the cop was arranging to have my car towed, we were literally three blocks from where I had my smog test done. So I asked him if it would help if I walked down there and got proof of it (like a receipt) from the place's computer system showing that I had done the test and passed. The cop said yes, I should please do that. So I went there, got the proof and even brought the guy who had done the test back with me in person. The cop said it didn't matter -- if it wasn't in the state's computer system he had to tow me. So he towed me.

The fact that he towed me isn't what irritated me. What irritated me is that, if going to get proof of the smog test wasn't going to matter, then why did he have me do it? Looks like the same situation with Boston's field test. Boston could do any field test thrown at him and it obviously wouldn't have mattered. He was going to be brought into the station anyway. So what was the point?

If they were going to take him down to the station and give him breath/blood/urine tests whether or not he passed the field sobriety test, then why give him the field sobriety test? If the field sobriety test can't form the basis for bringing charges, then what's the point?That's why I think people are reacting negatively to this cop. He shouldn't have wasted everyone's time with the FST if it couldn't help or hurt either party one way or the other.

I had a similar experience with a cop who was going to tow my car because I didn't have the registration sticker updated. I had paid the registration fee and done everything else, but the smog test for some reason wasn't showing up in the state's computer system so they hadn't sent me the sticker. (I didn't follow up on it like I should have, but that's a separate issue.) When the cop was arranging to have my car towed, we were literally three blocks from where I had my smog test done. So I asked him if it would help if I walked down there and got proof of it (like a receipt) from the place's computer system showing that I had done the test and passed. The cop said yes, I should please do that. So I went there, got the proof and even brought the guy who had done the test back with me in person. The cop said it didn't matter -- if it wasn't in the state's computer system he had to tow me. So he towed me.

The fact that he towed me isn't what irritated me. What irritated me is that, if going to get proof of the smog test wasn't going to matter, then why did he have me do it? Looks like the same situation with Boston's field test. Boston could do any field test thrown at him and it obviously wouldn't have mattered. He was going to be brought into the station anyway. So what was the point?
The cop said it was standard procedure. We all know lawyers exploit any tiny crack so cops have to got through things step by step. If the cop just arrested Boston on the spot and took him in for the tests the Race Card Crowd would be screaming. I just don't think it's a big deal. It's like a fumble that gets reversed on replay. If the blood's clean it doesn't matter and if it isn't then the cops need clear and thorough evidence they can show to the court to justify each step they took.

Bruce Allen issues a statement supporting Boston, saying the team feels he's innocent.

Meanwhile, he will play tonight...but Hilliard is starting opposite Galloway...Clayton in on 2nd play.

Quick thoughts.

1) Boston was acting like a jerk and was not compliant

2) I dunno about him specifically, but wifey cannot complete a sentence or answer a direct question for at least 5 minutes after waking up from a deep sleep. I could imagine the cop questioning him right after waking up and him not really understanding what was going on until his head cleared which would explain his lack of being able to explain where he was.

3) He seemed pretty lucid on the video, but I dunno the effects of every drug out there.

4) Being denied a lawyer on tape looks bad

I once fell asleep in bumper to bumper traffic on the interestate in Massachussettes once. It was early in the morning, and I didn't sleep well the night before. No drugs. I fell asleep right on the interstate because of the monotony of waiting for traffic to move.

Quick thoughts.

2) I dunno about him specifically, but wifey cannot complete a sentence or answer a direct question for at least 5 minutes after waking up from a deep sleep. I could imagine the cop questioning him right after waking up and him not really understanding what was going on until his head cleared which would explain his lack of being able to explain where he was.

3) He seemed pretty lucid on the video, but I dunno the effects of every drug out there.

I once fell asleep in bumper to bumper traffic on the interestate in Massachussettes once. It was early in the morning, and I didn't sleep well the night before. No drugs. I fell asleep right on the interstate because of the monotony of waiting for traffic to move.
So you probably seemed pretty lucid upon waking up...wouldn't you sayAs for #1 .... if you have had bad experiances previously with cops you would probably act like Boston did on video

They need to first demonstrate "probable cause" before bringing a subject in for blood/urine tests. Thus, the requirement of field tests.

So you probably seemed pretty lucid upon waking up...wouldn't you say
Had two guys in the car with me.Guy 1) Whew I just fell asleep for a second.Guy 2) Yeah me too.Me) Yeah I dozed off for a secondThem) WHAT? YOU'RE DRIVING!
As for #1 .... if you have had bad experiances previously with cops you would probably act like Boston did on video
I just think he is one of those people that like to be difficult with cops then when the cop arrests him they can use that as evidence that cops are out to get them. Reminds me of my brother.I have been pulled over for traffic violations maybe 7-8 times in my life.1 time I acted like a jerk right off the bat (what seems to be the problem) and he was a jerk back.Every other time I was nice and respectful.Most of those times, the cop was respectful back, it was over quick and I went about my business.One of those times, the cop was respectful and wrote me 3 tickets to be a jackass.One of those times, the cop was disrespectful, chewed me out and wrote me a ticket for a seatbeat that I had been wearing.Also one of those times, I think the cop made up PC to pull me over. He said the reason he pulled me over was because the computer was showing that my tag was expired. I think the real reason was he thought I was my brother and was trying to get him on something. When he saw the valid registration, he let me go. *rolleyes*

FWIW, Boston just went undrafted in my 16-teamer that just completed. For those wondering what his current value is.

Quick thoughts.1) Boston was acting like a jerk and was not compliant2) I dunno about him specifically, but wifey cannot complete a sentence or answer a direct question for at least 5 minutes after waking up from a deep sleep. I could imagine the cop questioning him right after waking up and him not really understanding what was going on until his head cleared which would explain his lack of being able to explain where he was.3) He seemed pretty lucid on the video, but I dunno the effects of every drug out there.4) Being denied a lawyer on tape looks badI once fell asleep in bumper to bumper traffic on the interestate in Massachussettes once. It was early in the morning, and I didn't sleep well the night before. No drugs. I fell asleep right on the interstate because of the monotony of waiting for traffic to move.
They don't have to let you call your lawyer. It's a non-issue.

For everyone defending Boston, why would he lie to the cop? About everything. And why did he want to call his lawyer? If he wasn't doing anything wrong he should believe he could pass a FST with no problem. The guy is a professional athlete, I think he should excel at physical tests, while sober. The bottom line is he lied about where he was, where he was going and what he was doing. Why?Guilty people lie, and DB has a history that suggests something else was going on. And the "Superman" pose clinches it, because straight people just don't do that.
Think about it. You're a professional athlete with a history of problems and you're making a comeback. Let's assume, for argument's sake, that Boston really does have a legit reason. Big jump for some of you, but just look at it from that perspective. Let's say he either fell asleep or that he was on some medication or something, but NOT drugs and NOT alcohol. He realizes that he was just woken up at a red light and this cop thinks he's under the influence. He knows he's not under the influence, is able to speak clearly and coherently, and tells the cop "hey, I'm more than willing to cooperate....give me a blood test, give me a breathalyzer, I'll do whatever test you want". He also let's the cop know beforehand he hurt his ankle in TC, knowing that one little slip and he could be in trouble. The cop says, "yes, there's other tests". DB says good and he's willing to do any other test. Then the cop proceeds right back to the line after DB said he's willing to do any other test. At THAT point, DB thinks "man, why is this cop still persisting here. He really thinks I'm impaired" and wants to call his lawyer to make sure that nothing funny is going on and this gets handled correctly. The cop then proceeds to tell him he can't call his lawyer either. That is the point where you can tell DB is frustrated and annoyed and starts acting stupid (which is very stupid on his part). But if you watch the video for a 2nd time after having seen it the first time, you can tell from the very beginning that DB was actually very cooperative and was willing to submit to any testing to prove he wasn't on anything. Those are not the actions of someone that's on any type of drug. You don't start volunteering to take any blood or urine while you're high.
Then why LIE ABOUT EVERYTHING?Guilty people lie, innocent people don't have to.
You have no idea about what its like to be black in this country do you?
This might be the dumbest thing I've read in a while. Congratulations. :thumbup:

Quick thoughts.1) Boston was acting like a jerk and was not compliant2) I dunno about him specifically, but wifey cannot complete a sentence or answer a direct question for at least 5 minutes after waking up from a deep sleep. I could imagine the cop questioning him right after waking up and him not really understanding what was going on until his head cleared which would explain his lack of being able to explain where he was.3) He seemed pretty lucid on the video, but I dunno the effects of every drug out there.4) Being denied a lawyer on tape looks badI once fell asleep in bumper to bumper traffic on the interestate in Massachussettes once. It was early in the morning, and I didn't sleep well the night before. No drugs. I fell asleep right on the interstate because of the monotony of waiting for traffic to move.
What's he gonna do, snatch the phone from him?

Maybe, but he could definitely tack on an obstruction charge or failure to comply or even resisting arrest depending on how things turned out. He could arrest him for that right then and there.

They need to first demonstrate "probable cause" before bringing a subject in for blood/urine tests. Thus, the requirement of field tests.
They already had probable cause. The FST didn't give them any additional probable cause that they didn't already have. In fact, Boston's not wanting to do the FST gives them more probable cause than having him do the FST competently as he did. So the cops had less probable cause by talking Boston into doing the FST than they would have had if they'd let him refuse, which was his initial inclination.

Maybe, but he could definitely tack on an obstruction charge or failure to comply or even resisting arrest depending on how things turned out. He could arrest him for that right then and there.
Okay well if a cop ever tries to snatch a phone from me, he'd just get his ### beat. End of story.

Okay well if a cop ever tries to snatch a phone from me, he'd just get his ### beat. End of story.
You really think the black eye you give a cop will be worth the assault charge on top of the other stuff? And I hear tazers are pretty fun. Especially if you're sober and have nothing to worry about with a blood/breath/urine test.

You really think the black eye you give a cop will be worth the assault charge on top of the other stuff? And I hear tazers are pretty fun. Especially if you're sober and have nothing to worry about with a blood/breath/urine test.
He's the one getting charged with assault. It's right there on tape him lunging at me while I'm posing no threat to him. I have a right to protect myself, especially against someone armed.

He's the one getting charged with assault. It's right there on tape him lunging at me while I'm posing no threat to him. I have a right to protect myself, especially against someone armed.
:lmao: Sure thing buddy, whatever you say. Give it a shot next time and see what happens.

Are you this dumb in real life, or is this just messageboard shtick?

Are you this dumb in real life, or is this just messageboard shtick?
Hoping it's just shtik, but unfortunately there are ppl that think like this out there. I'd also like to see how the ### beating went after the other 2-3 police on the sidelines jumped in.

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup: Tough guy.

CrossEyed said:
KnowledgeReignsSupreme said:
mad sweeney said:
mad sweeney said:
:no: Tough guy.
Tough messageboard talk would get an absolutely emasculating beat-down by any one of the guys in blue. :o

mad sweeney said:
mad sweeney said:
You do realize there were 3 or 4 other cops in the background of this video right? I think at least 3 were in the shot when they were handcuffing him.

CrossEyed said:
mad sweeney said:
mad sweeney said:
:lmao: Tough guy.
Tough messageboard talk would get an absolutely emasculating beat-down by any one of the guys in blue. :gang2:
He'd get that little blue LED target light on his chest right before the tazer wires took him to the ground screaming. And it'd all be on video. I'm on disability right now after back surgery and I watch a lot of Cops sometimes. Tazer encounters are my favorites. Nothing stops a would be tough guy like 50,000 volts. I've seen 275lb bikers surrender quicker than France.

mad sweeney said:
mad sweeney said:
:lmao:

Wilbur Wood said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
mad sweeney said:
Rockton said:

The field test did not give them probably cause.

Wilbur Wood said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
mad sweeney said:
Rockton said:

His reluctance to take it, his inability to follow simple instructions and his wobbly balance were PC. Oh, and he was passed out in drive in the middle of the street and didn't know where he was. But other than that, you're right, no PC.

CrossEyed said:
mad sweeney said:
mad sweeney said:
:lmao: Tough guy.
Tough messageboard talk would get an absolutely emasculating beat-down by any one of the guys in blue. :shrug:
He'd get that little blue LED target light on his chest right before the tazer wires took him to the ground screaming. And it'd all be on video. I'm on disability right now after back surgery and I watch a lot of Cops sometimes. Tazer encounters are my favorites. Nothing stops a would be tough guy like 50,000 volts. I've seen 275lb bikers surrender quicker than France.
Have you seen the new super small ones there are going to sell to the public. Other that shorter cables they are the same. Every football player and his entorage can carry one.

To pull him over they need probable cause. Him sleeping at a stop light is good enough. The field test doesn't add more probable cause - you have probable cause or you don't. The field test allows the officer to make a judgement call on whether the person is impaired.

Some good, though generally unintended, humor in this thread.

I wonder if Knowledge Reigns Supreme would have done a Superman pose like Boston before kicking the cop's butt.

CrossEyed said:
mad sweeney said:
mad sweeney said:
Quick thoughts.

:shrug: Tough guy.
Tough messageboard talk would get an absolutely emasculating beat-down by any one of the guys in blue. :lmao:
:bs: Not possible!!!!

Wilbur Wood said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
mad sweeney said:
Rockton said:

His reluctance to take it, his inability to follow simple instructions and his wobbly balance were PC. Oh, and he was passed out in drive in the middle of the street and didn't know where he was. But other than that, you're right, no PC.
Otis didn't say there was no probable cause. What Otis did say was correct.

Some good, though generally unintended, humor in this thread. I wonder if Knowledge Reigns Supreme would have done a Superman pose like Boston before kicking the cop's butt.
He would do it standing on the cop's chest after he kicked his butt, I'm sure.

Wilbur Wood said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
mad sweeney said:
Rockton said:

Let me repeat this with the hopes that you get it this time:The field test did not give them probable cause.

Him being passed out in the street and not knowing where he was have nothing to do with the field test.

As for the field test, I disagree. I watched it. He very soberly discussed his concerns with the cop, offered to take every biological test that would prove his innocence, and I did not see him as being "wobbly" at all.

Wilbur Wood said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
mad sweeney said:
Rockton said:

Otis didn't say there was no probable cause. What Otis did say was correct.
Are you or Otis law enforcement officials trained to administer and interpret field sobriety tests? I don't think he passed it, but I don't know the standards.So, even if Otis is right that the fst alone didn't give probably (sic) cause (which I disagree with but am equally unqualified to definitvely interpret, however I do use tools such as logic and common sense), it was still a necessary step in the process of arresting someone, as has been pointed out by a cop previously in the thread. And his questionable performance on the tests combined with the passed out status and disorientation and the "bouncy and jittery" eyes were all together plenty to arrest him for it and get scientific proof in the way of blood/breath/urine tests. And if he's clean, he has nothing to worry about.

Wilbur Wood said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
mad sweeney said:
Rockton said:

Let me repeat this with the hopes that you get it this time:The field test did not give them probable cause.

Him being passed out in the street and not knowing where he was have nothing to do with the field test.

As for the field test, I disagree. I watched it. He very soberly discussed his concerns with the cop, offered to take every biological test that would prove his innocence, and I did not see him as being "wobbly" at all.
I just had back surgery, haven't worked out a core muscle in 4 months, am high on vicodin and a little puf puf and I can stand on 1 foot with the other raised 10 times more stable than he was. He wasn't following the cop's instructions on where to keep his arms and his gaze. He wouuldn't count out his steps (a VERY tough task). The whole test could've been don in 5 minutes if Boston didn't.. you know what, forget it. You think that pathetic performance was a hands down pass, then go ahead. The cops didn't and it's all on video and it was with a guy they knew was famous and therefore the arrest would be under more scrutiny than other arrests. So you're right, he passed it with flying colors but the cop chose to arrest him anyway.

So you're right, he passed it with flying colors but the cop chose to arrest him anyway.
That does seem to be the problem. The cop could have arrested Boston based on the fact that Boston fell asleep in traffic. That's probable cause right there. When the cop decided to give Boston a field sobriety test, the implication is that if Boston passes the test, he should not be arrested. If he was going to be arrested even if he passed the test, then why give the test? Why not just arrest him and take him down to the station?I don't see how anyone can watch that video and think that Boston didn't pass the test. He didn't obey all the instructions such as counting out loud, but he showed fine balance and proprioception, and his speech was not slurred.

Moreover, I think the cop gave false information to Boston. Boston asked if he could take a breath or blood test instead of the field sobriety test, and the honest answer is yes. Taking a field sobriety test is voluntary. Boston could have opted out, and it was obvious that he wanted to. The cop mislead him into thinking it was mandatory.

Also, when Boston wanted to call his lawyer, I don't know how the cop could tell him he wasn't allowed to. Either Boston was not under arrest, in which case he should have been free to leave (and to call his attorney), or he was under arrest, in which case he had a right to an attorney before answering any questions (or doing the FST). It's been about thirteen years since I had Crim Pro, but I think the cop gave incorrect information to Boston in both of those areas. I know it's not illegal for cops to lie to suspects in general -- but it may be illegal to lie about whether someone has a right to consult with an attorney ("illegal," that is, in the sense that any information obtained from the suspect as a result of refusing him the right to consult with an attorney would not be admissible).

Does anyone here know why Boston would not have had the right to consult with his attorney if he wasn't (yet) under arrest?

mad sweeney said:
You ever heard of the sixth ammendment?

mad sweeney said:
You ever heard of the sixth ammendment?
I have. It has no application in the context of a traffic stop with regard to whether or not you can consult with counsel before taking FSTs. There is no legal requirement that you be allowed to do so. In fact, you can legally refuse to take the FSTs - - there is no legal requirement that you take them. (This is near-universal in the U.S. and is the case in Florida.) Only when chemical tests come into the equation is your right to counsel implicated.

So you're right, he passed it with flying colors but the cop chose to arrest him anyway.
That does seem to be the problem. The cop could have arrested Boston based on the fact that Boston fell asleep in traffic. That's probable cause right there. When the cop decided to give Boston a field sobriety test, the implication is that if Boston passes the test, he should not be arrested. If he was going to be arrested even if he passed the test, then why give the test? Why not just arrest him and take him down to the station?I don't see how anyone can watch that video and think that Boston didn't pass the test. He didn't obey all the instructions such as counting out loud, but he showed fine balance and proprioception, and his speech was not slurred.

Moreover, I think the cop gave false information to Boston. Boston asked if he could take a breath or blood test instead of the field sobriety test, and the honest answer is yes. Taking a field sobriety test is voluntary. Boston could have opted out, and it was obvious that he wanted to. The cop mislead him into thinking it was mandatory.

Also, when Boston wanted to call his lawyer, I don't know how the cop could tell him he wasn't allowed to. Either Boston was not under arrest, in which case he should have been free to leave (and to call his attorney), or he was under arrest, in which case he had a right to an attorney before answering any questions (or doing the FST). It's been about thirteen years since I had Crim Pro, but I think the cop gave incorrect information to Boston in both of those areas. I know it's not illegal for cops to lie to suspects in general -- but it may be illegal to lie about whether someone has a right to consult with an attorney ("illegal," that is, in the sense that any information obtained from the suspect as a result of refusing him the right to consult with an attorney would not be admissible).

Does anyone here know why Boston would not have had the right to consult with his attorney if he wasn't (yet) under arrest?
Here is an excerpt explaining some of the nuances of the 4th Amendment which covers detentions, searches, siezures, arrest, etc... Since this detention is temporary and limited to a fact finding contact Boston would not need his attorney. Investigatory detentions, "Terry Stops"

Not all seizures of the person must be justified by the probable cause standard required for arrests. Certain seizures are justifiable under the Fourth Amendment if there is reasonable suspicion, supported by specific and articulable facts, that a person has committed or is about to commit a crime.[13] Note that this circumstance is different than the non-seizure police questioning discussed above, in these situations, the person stopped is not free to leave. A "Terry Stop" must be temporary and questioning must be limited to the purpose of the stop (i.e., if the policeman stopped you because he had reasonable suspicion to believe that you were driving a stolen car, after confirming that it is not stolen, he cannot force you to answer questions about anything else, such as the possession of contraband.)[22] In justifying the particular intrusion the police officer must be able to point to specific and articulable facts which, taken together with rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant the intrusion

mad sweeney said:
So an officer of the law can forbid you from calling your lawyer? That IS an issue, if we claim to live in a free country. It is an example of what happens in fascist states. And your defending this as "just an inconvenience" misses the point: police should not be harrassing people and embarassing them and treating them disrespectfully as this cop did. Police have way too much authority in this "free" country if this is an example of normal "police work."

Thank you, and agreed completely.

Some good, though generally unintended, humor in this thread. I wonder if Knowledge Reigns Supreme would have done a Superman pose like Boston before kicking the cop's butt.
This IS pretty funny.We have tough guys kicking cops' asses because they feel they've been disrespected, and guys who watch too many cop shows and misapply the 6th ammendment.Yes, you have a right to counsel after youv'e been charged, or in some cases before. But in a probable cause situation (like say for example when a cop finds a guy passed out in his car in a driving lane with the car in drive, and upon waking him up, him having no idea where he was), your rights are slightly different. If a guy runs out of a bank holding a gun and a bag of money, the guy with the gun can't say "Hey, I don't want to throw down my gun right now, I want to talk to my lawyer first to see if I have to." Do people seriously not get that concept?The cop was doing his job, and while he seemed a little smug, he did it as professionally and respectfully as anyone can reasonably expect. It is his job to make sure an impaired person doesn't get back in the car and kill himself and/or someone else. Even if the situation is borderline (as it may have been in Boston's case, but I'll get to that later), I'm FINE with the cop playing it safe and taking the guy in. That's potentially one less fatal traffic accident.As for Boston's performance, at times he DOES seem pretty lucid. It's pretty clear he hadn't been drinking. BUT, I don't know the effect of all of the other drugs/medications are and I would guess most of the rest of you don't either. The Superman routine was a little suspect, as was Boston's apparent unwillingness/inability to count when he was doing the walking test. Cop could not have been clearer about the counting part, and mentioned it several times. But Boston didn't do it. Then we have the fact that the cop heard two things that I personally would have considered fairly obvious lies. 1st was the location thing that has been discussed already (not on way to airport frm where he said he was coming from). That's either a lie, or some SERIOUS confusion, and either way it doesn't look good. The 2nd would be the whole "I can't stand on one leg" thing. The guy is in the middle of an NFL training camp, more than a year removed from his latest surgery (I think), playing in games, etc, and the guy says he can't stand on one leg or walk heel-to-toe in a straight line because of his bad knees (BOTH of them - he didn't want to do it on either leg). If YOU were a cop would you buy that? He can run crisp NFL receiving patterns, can stop on a dime, can sprint full speed, can get hit by linebackers over the middle, but can't walk heel to toe?Bottom line for me is there was plenty of evidence to suspect Boston was "under the influence" of SOMETHING. He may not have been, and if so, great, all he is out is some inconvenience and emabarressment. If he WAS under the influence, that cop may have saved Boston's life or maybe the life of some 4 year old little girl in her mom's car. No brainer.

I watched the test and was baffled at what a #### the cop was. I know its not the job of a cop to be nice and sometimes they need to be dcks, but ### #### that guy was a complete gaaaarry.

I watched the test and was baffled at what a #### the cop was. I know its not the job of a cop to be nice and sometimes they need to be dcks, but ### #### that guy was a complete gaaaarry.
I agree his attitude was little odd. It seemed like he was playing to the camera too much. But... What specifically did he do or say that was out of line or really even disrespectful?

I agree his attitude was little odd. It seemed like he was playing to the camera too much. But... What specifically did he do or say that was out of line or really even disrespectful?
I felt the cop was trying to setup Boston to fail. Hi job should be to administer a field sobreity test and instead I thought the guy was "trying to bust a NFL player" not by confusing him, but going above and beyond to get him to fail. Like the cop felt "if I can just get him to do this".I understand the officers role and I think all DUI folks need to be put away so they dont kill anyone. However, if the results of the field sobreity test werent going to decide if Boston was going to get arrested, it seemed to me that the cop doing everything he could to bust Boston.

Users who are viewing this thread