What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday. Set your clock back. (1 Viewer)

I had the kids in bed 30 minutes earlier, their friends out of the house by 5:30, I got in bed about 9:30...whats not to love about this???  

Heard the best reason for still having DST the other day. Several school kids got hit and killed while waiting for the school bus last week. DST keeps it lighter in some areas during that time. 
This sounds backwards -- last week, our kids were at the bus stop at sunrise, and it was still fairly dark outside. Today, it was fully daylight when they went to the bus stop.

What you want, regarding morning bus stop safety, is for DST to end earlier in the fall -- the way it used to (DST ended in October for decades).

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
So we should tailor our times to your schedule.  Got it.
I was asked why I don't like it. I answered.  :shrug:   How you reached your conclusion, I don't know. 

Seems like the complainers here are the ones who want things tailored to their schedule. Because DST is the actual "change", not standard time. 

I remember saying this in last years thread.  

It causes dangerous errors in the hospital in emergency situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there were a crapload of kids being hit at bus stops last week.  We need to push the change earlier.  

My dogs get a treat every night at 8pm and have a really good sense of when that is. They’re both staring at me right now  :lmao:

:lmao: I saw the star that said I had posted in the thread, but didn't realize it was the same thing.  But I stand by my assessment of their internal clocks.  
My dogs do the same thing; we got the stare-down at 3pm (looking for their 4pm dinner). :wub:  

Hate it.  I'm likely not going to be at my office past 2-3pm these days, but if I DID stay 'til the "normal" 5pm, I'd hate driving home in the dark.

Kids hate it too.  They typically go and play with their friends down the street after dinner, until dark... but now it's dark at dinnertime sooooo.... sorry kiddos.

Hate it.  I'm likely not going to be at my office past 2-3pm these days, but if I DID stay 'til the "normal" 5pm, I'd hate driving home in the dark.

Kids hate it too.  They typically go and play with their friends down the street after dinner, until dark... but now it's dark at dinnertime sooooo.... sorry kiddos.
You realize that if DST didn't exist, none of the above would change, right?.  It would have been dark an hour earlier for the past 6-7 months.

Unless you're proposing year-round DST (which is equivalent to everybody changing to the next time zone to the east (I think it's east))

You realize that if DST didn't exist, none of the above would change, right?.  It would have been dark an hour earlier for the past 6-7 months.

Unless you're proposing year-round DST (which is equivalent to everybody changing to the next time zone to the east (I think it's east))
Yeah.  I think the main point is I just don't like this time of year when it gets darker earlier.  I do like the crisp air, wearing sweaters (and actually wearing shoes and long pants - being in California this doesn't happen often lol) and football of course.

Yes please to the bolded. 

Yeah.  I think the main point is I just don't like this time of year when it gets darker earlier.  I do like the crisp air, wearing sweaters (and actually wearing shoes and long pants - being in California this doesn't happen often lol) and football of course.
Oh, yeah, fair enough on that.  I'm a bit lucky to be on the western edge of the EST zone, so the earliest it gets dark is around 5PM.  My friends in Chicago get 4PM darkness.

My MIL who lives with us, and has Alzheimer's, packs a bag and starts badgering us for a "ride home" every night around sundown. Its awesome when that starts while the workday is still in full swing. 

I swear I thought they voted NOT to do this any more?
I swear I heard politicians say that after such and such we're done with this and yet it still keeps happening

-Guess it was shot down at some point, this is absurd
There were discussions but I think it ended with the leave it alone. There are implications in that most software already adjusts for it, so there would be a decent amount of updates to be done. They probably realized it and just said F it, not worth the trouble right now.

I swear I heard politicians say that after such and such we're done with this and yet it still keeps happening

There were discussions but I think it ended with the leave it alone. There are implications in that most software already adjusts for it, so there would be a decent amount of updates to be done. They probably realized it and just said F it, not worth the trouble right now.

I am not yelling at you, but as opposed to the problems it causes people with mental health and other disorders.

I am not yelling at you, but as opposed to the problems it causes people with mental health and other disorders.
I got you, just saying that the politicians caught wind of all the why do we do this complaining and jumped on it. They then realized it was bigger than a breadbox and swept it back under the rug since the Facebook posts on it stopped.

They are really trying to still push it through in FL. We can't talk politics here but if you google it, there's a politician in the SWFL area who is spearheading the push.

Yeah, I'm seriously already devising some plans to help combat SAD - I've self-diagnosed myself and want to stay ahead of things by taking extra Vitamin D and spending some time in the sun each day. Reduce alcohol and maybe start meditation daily. Some things I already know I should be doing but every dang year the time change effects me negatively so hoping I can do something about it this year.

Yeah, I'm seriously already devising some plans to help combat SAD - I've self-diagnosed myself and want to stay ahead of things by taking extra Vitamin D and spending some time in the sun each day. Reduce alcohol and maybe start meditation daily. Some things I already know I should be doing but every dang year the time change effects me negatively so hoping I can do something about it this year.

I wish you the best of luck. I don't suffer from it, but my husband has and it looks brutal. Watching his demeanor and mood shift 180 degrees the other just because we change the time seems stupid.

We have done a few things to combat it as well. We take a vacation the last few years right before or right after the time change. He also coaches high school sports and it starts the second week of November every year. Keeping busy with things that interest him really help with the seasonal things and his ADHD.

I wish you the best of luck. I don't suffer from it, but my husband has and it looks brutal. Watching his demeanor and mood shift 180 degrees the other just because we change the time seems stupid.

We have done a few things to combat it as well. We take a vacation the last few years right before or right after the time change. He also coaches high school sports and it starts the second week of November every year. Keeping busy with things that interest him really help with the seasonal things and his ADHD.
It takes my wife at least 2 weeks to recover from it which I find ridiculous but I know its real for her, messes up her whole internal clock and she is very schedule oriented
MoP not so much

Last edited:
Strange. I get the opposite. My mood takes a nosedive the 1-2 weeks after we spring forward. I think it's the introvert in me that loves cold, dark nights watching TV or staying in.

Well, no. The future contains more software than the present. "Most software" hasn't been written yet. If we dump DST it might take some updates to modify existing software, but no worse than when they adjusted DST's start/end dates. Keeping DST just complicates new software development going forward. I'm a software developer who would rather we just rip off the band aid ASAP.

ETA: FWIW...and I recognize I am in an extreme minority on this one...I'd also like to get rid of time zones!

I got you, just saying that the politicians caught wind of all the why do we do this complaining and jumped on it. They then realized it was bigger than a breadbox and swept it back under the rug since the Facebook posts on it stopped.
And they also were eliminating the wrong time change iirc.

Well, no. The future contains more software than the present. "Most software" hasn't been written yet. If we dump DST it might take some updates to modify existing software, but no worse than when they adjusted DST's start/end dates. Keeping DST just complicates new software development going forward. I'm a software developer who would rather we just rip off the band aid ASAP.

ETA: FWIW...and I recognize I am in an extreme minority on this one...I'd also like to get rid of time zones!
agree. 3 hours? split the difference and let’s go!

side note, i have a presence in italy due to my property etc….they turn their clocks back this weekend, so we have that 1 week gap (same in spring) when trying to figure out what time it is, when my online class is, etc. is crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread