What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dbag won’t switch seats—would you? (1 Viewer)

Are you a jerk who would refuse letting a family sit together?

• Yes I’m a jerk

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • No I’m a decent person and would let a family fly together

Votes: 95 65.1%

• Total voters
I'm surprised more people don't like window seats. The only way I can sleep anywhere close to comfortably in coach is leaning against the fuselage.
I usually take a window seat up near the front if I can.  I seldom actually get out of my seat other than getting on or off the plane.  It’s easier to not be bothered by people mucking about and being fidgety imo.

It's almost like different people like different seats on planes for all kinds of reasons!
Right.  But reasonable people won't proclaim that one seat in first class is so vastly different from another that it would materially impact the next several hours of their life.  Only people with bizarre fixations on minutia, or total lunatics, would care that much about being on the left side of the aisle in row 2 versus the right side of the aisle.

Right.  But reasonable people won't proclaim that one seat in first class is so vastly different from another that it would materially impact the next several hours of their life.  Only people with bizarre fixations on minutia, or total lunatics, would care that much about being on the left side of the aisle in row 2 versus the right side of the aisle.
Oats....

10 pages, GB.  You already won.  You can retire this bad boy.  Take your Webby and go unveil the next newest shtick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always choose a window seat, just because I know my bladder can wait and I don't want to have to get up for both of the inside passengers to use the restroom if I'm on the aisle.  I prefer back of the plane, against the window, just being out of the way and left alone.  Generally in these areas nobody is wanting to switch with me so never have to play the "what's your relationship to the other person, how good is their seat, how long is the flight, what do the new seat's neighbors look like, etc." game

I always choose a window seat, just because I know my bladder can wait and I don't want to have to get up for both of the inside passengers to use the restroom if I'm on the aisle.  I prefer back of the plane, against the window, just being out of the way and left alone.  Generally in these areas nobody is wanting to switch with me so never have to play the "what's your relationship to the other person, how good is their seat, how long is the flight, what do the new seat's neighbors look like, etc." game
This is me to a T for all those reasons. 

Add in the fact that I'm not in a rush to jump into the aisle and get off the plane.

In all honesty, the bulkhead does (relatively) suck. Everything coming out of the arm rest and you can't store anything underneath.
Bulkhead is awesome for leg room which is all I care about.  Heck, I never use trays on airplanes because they my legs are so high it doesn't work.  I would rather sit middle seat in bulkhead than window regular seat.

And if you strap on a Depends before boarding, you won't even have to get up if the need to pee arises.

This is me to a T for all those reasons. 

Add in the fact that I'm not in a rush to jump into the aisle and get off the plane.
Exactly me.  I forgot to mention that but it's another big plus.  I'll watch another 20 minutes of whatever movie/show I'm on while everyone else immediately stands up and tries to jockey with each other to get off the plane 6 seconds earlier.  I've sat at the front of the plane before, and there's never a prize for getting off first so I say screw it, put me in the back and I'll mosey off when it's empty. 

:lol:

Bulkhead is awesome for leg room which is all I care about.  Heck, I never use trays on airplanes because they my legs are so high it doesn't work.  I would rather sit middle seat in bulkhead than window regular seat.
Bulkhead in 1st class limits your legroom.

Exactly me.  I forgot to mention that but it's another big plus.  I'll watch another 20 minutes of whatever movie/show I'm on while everyone else immediately stands up and tries to jockey with each other to get off the plane 6 seconds earlier.  I've sat at the front of the plane before, and there's never a prize for getting off first so I say screw it, put me in the back and I'll mosey off when it's empty. 
Breathing fellow passenger’s faticles for 20 less minutes is a nice bonus.

The only time that I remember being rejected was when the rejector was in a window seat next to my wife, and I was in an aisle seat (pre-kids).  My wife said he spent most of the flight looking out of the plane through his binoculars — kind of odd (given his age), but his pregorative and no judgment, as he apparently really wanted the window seat.  I enjoyed a few hours reading in the quiet instead.

Bulkhead in 1st class limits your legroom.
As far as I can tell, as a taller than average guy, bulkhead still has tons of legroom, and it looks like maybe more.  That may however just be an optical illusion, and instead what I'm seeing is a ton of extra space between your face and the surface in front of you, since you don't have a fat bald guy immediately in front of you desperately trying to maximize the recline.  Either way, bulkhead has always felt a whole lot more spacious to me.  But apparently there's all sorts of seatnerd ways of looking at this.

The only time that I remember being rejected was when the rejector was in a window seat next to my wife, and I was in an aisle seat (pre-kids).  My wife said he spent most of the flight looking out of the plane through his binoculars — kind of odd (given his age), but his pregorative and no judgment, as he apparently really wanted the window seat.  I enjoyed a few hours reading in the quiet instead.
The guy brought binoculars.  He's a totally freakazoid, but at least he had a legitimate reason to say no.

As far as I can tell, as a taller than average guy, bulkhead still has tons of legroom, and it looks like maybe more.  That may however just be an optical illusion, and instead what I'm seeing is a ton of extra space between your face and the surface in front of you, since you don't have a fat bald guy immediately in front of you desperately trying to maximize the recline.  Either way, bulkhead has always felt a whole lot more spacious to me.  But apparently there's all sorts of seatnerd ways of looking at this.
Please change thread title to ***Official Plane Seat Talk: allseatnerds, all planes all the time***

Airlines do all have their own modifications on how they do seats. On my main airline (Alaska) the front row is pretty limited because of the wall, definitely not more room. Pretty low on the list of injustices in the world. If you have long legs though it can suck especially if the plane is a bit older and the seat a little worn from overuse.

On board now....while getting my wife and kids settled, my backpack-still on my shoulder- must have gotten too close to the old lady sitting in front of us.

"WATCH IT!!" while angrily pushing me and backpack away from her. Ah yes...coach travel. Pics to follow.

On board now....while getting my wife and kids settled, my backpack-still on my shoulder- must have gotten too close to the old lady sitting in front of us.

"WATCH IT!!" while angrily pushing me and backpack away from her. Ah yes...coach travel. Pics to follow.
You’re blasting old ladies with your bag, and we’re supposed to take seriously your view on being considerate to strangers?

Filed under “Things that happen in coach”. Bunch of Philistines back there. 

You may be "with" Otis on it being okay to ask someone to switch seats but do you really think it's right to refer that person as a "dbag" if he/she politely declines your offer?
I would say yes, it’s d-baggy. And it’s mostly because of what Big Bottom said. That guy is willing to sit next to Oats the entire flight knowing that Oats’ wife is up front and not sitting by him because that guy said “no.” There’s not a chance in hell I could sit by a guy for any length of time knowing that he asked me to move and I said no. It takes a special kind of d-bag to do that.

And note, coach is a whole different story. There are lots of bad seats on coach for a variety of reasons.

Now here’s a whole new problem. I’m in Chicago heading to Denver. I’m in my favorite seat - last row of first in the aisle. BUT, on this plane, there’s no wall between first and coach, so the riff raff behind me keep hitting my seat and causing a ruckus.

There needs to be some separation between the haves and the have nots - this ain’t gonna work for me.

Now here’s a whole new problem. I’m in Chicago heading to Denver. I’m in my favorite seat - last row of first in the aisle. BUT, on this plane, there’s no wall between first and coach, so the riff raff behind me keep hitting my seat and causing a ruckus.

There needs to be some separation between the haves and the have nots - this ain’t gonna work for me.
Just tell Floppo's kids to knock it off.

Just start passing drinks back to the peasants. LET THEM EAT CAKE 

What plane is that?  An embrair?  That's not real first class. That's basically domestic in 1995

What plane is that?  An embrair?  That's not real first class. That's basically domestic in 1995
It’s crazy. It’s a newer plane. Not sure what it is, but it’s a big one - 3x3 In coach and four 2x2 first class rows. It’s just like any other first, but there’s no wall. It’s really strange.

By the way, I always choose aisle seats in coach.  Always.  Like everyone, I hate middle seats, but I hate window seats only slightly less (I really don't care for being blocked in, and I hate asking people to get up way more than I hate being asked to get up).  If someone asked me to switch from an aisle to a window to allow a family to sit together, I'd do it because I'm an accommodating person, but I wouldn't like it one bit, and my flight experience would be materially affected.
Don't confuse accommodating with trodden upon.

It’s crazy. It’s a newer plane. Not sure what it is, but it’s a big one - 3x3 In coach and four 2x2 first class rows. It’s just like any other first, but there’s no wall. It’s really strange.
Probably figuring out a way to get more rows of seats onto the plane.

I’ll always try to accommodate. That being said I  book in advance to get aisles. If they want to switch like for like I’m always in. I wouldn’t be so fast to switch to a middle seat on a cross country 5 hour flight

Honest question.  Did not sitting next to your wife on the couple hour flight materially impact your life?

Think it's fair to conclude that some people have preferences, sometimes strong, for their flight seat selection, even if that's not something you understand/agree with.

Thus, why is it that your marginal discomfort of not sitting next to your wife for a couple hours is seemingly so much more important than another's marginal discomfort of moving from their preferred seat selection to one that is not as preferred?

Honest question.  Did not sitting next to your wife on the couple hour flight materially impact your life?

Think it's fair to conclude that some people have preferences, sometimes strong, for their flight seat selection, even if that's not something you understand/agree with.

Thus, why is it that your marginal discomfort of not sitting next to your wife for a couple hours is seemingly so much more important than another's marginal discomfort of moving from their preferred seat selection to one that is not as preferred?
Because it’s reasonable for two family members traveling together to went to sit together. It’s patently unreasonable for someone to blow up the sensible organization of passengers in the cabin based on some bizarre fixation for the 2” footrest over the 2.5” footrest.

We can take it to extremes to make the point, but in the end it doesn’t matter. The majority of us—as reflected in the poll—believe this to be a reasonable accommodation we would make for a stranger. The minority are kind of jerky. 

It all goes to the greater good. I’ll gladly accommodate someone else because I get basically—within reasonable differences—the same seat and flight. Maybe with a minor inconvenience. But the other people get a far more positive impact on their flight than the at most minor negative for me, because the family get to travel together, they can talk. Maybe we even helped others out because now they don’t have to shout across the cabin or disturb others to get up to pass an item or have a conversion. It’s for the greater overall satisfaction of the whole. 

It’s just a different philosophy. Some people, like villain here, don’t have interest in doing favors for strangers, or really any interest in doing anything that doesn’t maximize with perfection their own individual comfort, regardless of impact on others.  Their prerogative. Also my prerogative to call them on it. 

🤷‍♂️

This really isn’t hard. Basic stuff. 

To answer your question, yes. My wife and I don’t get a chance to get away often. We were both excited for the whole trip. In the lead-up we kept imagining having drinks together on the plane and catching up.  I was pretty disappointed. No it wasn’t the end of the world. And if the guy really was an air marshall and needed to sit there because he suspected the big fat guy on the other side of him was a terrorist, will, that’s different. Or if he’s been vomiting and needed immediate bathroom access. But I’m pretty sure it was none of these things. He just looked around and evaluated his options and concluded that both he and his Gucci slippers would have 3% more comfort in his current seat. And that is the definition of dooshbaggery. 

Should have done your research on this particular plane and it being a possibility that you would be that close to coach.  

Poor planning, imo.

Because it’s reasonable for two family members traveling together to went to sit together. It’s patently unreasonable for someone to blow up the sensible organization of passengers in the cabin based on some bizarre fixation for the 2” footrest over the 2.5” footrest.

We can take it to extremes to make the point, but in the end it doesn’t matter. The majority of us—as reflected in the poll—believe this to be a reasonable accommodation we would make for a stranger. The minority are kind of jerky. 

It all goes to the greater good. I’ll gladly accommodate someone else because I get basically—within reasonable differences—the same seat and flight. Maybe with a minor inconvenience. But the other people get a far more positive impact on their flight than the at most minor negative for me, because the family get to travel together, they can talk. Maybe we even helped others out because now they don’t have to shout across the cabin or disturb others to get up to pass an item or have a conversion. It’s for the greater overall satisfaction of the whole. 

It’s just a different philosophy. Some people, like villain here, don’t have interest in doing favors for strangers, or really any interest in doing anything that doesn’t maximize with perfection their own individual comfort, regardless of impact on others.  Their prerogative. Also my prerogative to call them on it. 

🤷‍♂️

This really isn’t hard. Basic stuff. 

To answer your question, yes. My wife and I don’t get a chance to get away often. We were both excited for the whole trip. In the lead-up we kept imagining having drinks together on the plane and catching up.  I was pretty disappointed. No it wasn’t the end of the world. And if the guy really was an air marshall and needed to sit there because he suspected the big fat guy on the other side of him was a terrorist, will, that’s different. Or if he’s been vomiting and needed immediate bathroom access. But I’m pretty sure it was none of these things. He just looked around and evaluated his options and concluded that both he and his Gucci slippers would have 3% more comfort in his current seat. And that is the definition of dooshbaggery. 
I'm sorry, but  :lmao: .

I applaud your commitment to this thread.  :lol:

Should have told the old man you wanted to move that you wanted to sit next to your family. I'm sure he would have moved.

This is probably how the conversation went:

Otis: Would you mind switching seats so I won't be separated from my family?

[Man looks around.  Doesn't see any children.]

Man: Where's your family?

Otis: [Points] Over there.  The woman in the front row.

Man:  Oh, that woman is your wife? [Pause]  You know, Buddy, I think I'm good.  I don't like those bulkhead seats.

This is probably how the conversation went:

Otis: Would you mind switching seats so I won't be separated from my family?

[Man looks around.  Doesn't see any children.]

Man: Where's your family?

Otis: [Points] Over there.  The woman in the front row.

Man:  Oh, that woman is your wife? [Pause]  You know, Buddy, I think I'm good.  I don't like those bulkhead seats.
Except I said “hey, my wife is sitting up there, would you mind switching seats so I could sit with her.”  He actually started to shift in that direction like he was going to, you know, be a normal, decent person, but then came the part where we did some quick calculations about his maximum comfort and decided to refuse.  

I don’t get the “bulkhead is way worse.”  Johnsonface had the same three hour flight either way. He would have looked at his stupid phone with his stupid Chinese knock off black colored AirPods in his ears either way at his stupid show.  What’s the difference??

I think this might be my favorite part of this thread.  Laughing about the guy's white watch and then criticizing his headphones for not being douchey-white enough.

shuke said:
The absolute worst are the people clogging up the main aisles at Costco, chatting it up while they eat their samples.  I was practically yelling at people yesterday.
You'd love it over here.  The Germans love chatting in front of doors, stairways, escalators...
I was on a college tour yesterday with my wife and kid, and there was a stop in a relatively busy building.  Everyone gathered around the tour guide as she spoke, most moving to a spot where they could hear but not be in the way of the students who would walk by.  One family stood right in front of an open doorway.  Every person trying to get by had to walk almost right up to them and say excuse me before they would take a couple steps forward, and then once the student was through, they'd back right back to the same spot, even though there were plenty of other places to stand.  It was so maddening to watch.  I don't know if they were German, but they were almost definitely European (going by their clothes and the bits of accent I heard). 

Users who are viewing this thread