What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dbag won’t switch seats—would you? (1 Viewer)

Are you a jerk who would refuse letting a family sit together?

• Yes I’m a jerk

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • No I’m a decent person and would let a family fly together

Votes: 95 65.1%

• Total voters
Frontier has been doing it for years, but now they are actually making the middle seat wider so they can up the price. 

Plenty of airlines just charge a fee to pick your seat. So if you pick a seat and then you move, you just wasted that money. 

Also this issue is way different than sitting with your wife. She is an adult. 

I would look up the route and see if your window seat costs the same as one of those two aisles and if it does i would imagine you have an incredibly high likelihood of somebody willing to switch. 

I prefer aisle, but would switch to a window to accommodate a family. Would not give up aisle for a middle. 

This was a pretty solid fishing trip. Not top 5 or anything, but more than decent for 2019/20.  The bar is low now. The era of "Jerry Rice: Not a hall of famer" is long over.

Still absurd to equate "please switch so I can talk to my wife on this 3 hour flight that we booked too late to sit together" to "Please switch so my wife and I can sit with our small children that will be scared of flying or behave poorly if we're not there".

Again, I'd probably switch either way (assuming the "switch" doesn't put next to a fatty, a crying child or someone who is obviously sick and/or smells horrible) but I can absolutely see why somebody wouldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not well traveled so this has only happened to me once. They separated me and my daughter by six or seven rows. I was in the middle hoping to sit her there and take either other. She was 14 or 15. She had a window seat. The guy at the window next to me said no (doosh, they were both windows). My spunky kid asked him, you like my dad that much? The woman next to me on the aisle said, take my seat darling.

I'm not well traveled so this has only happened to me once. They separated me and my daughter by six or seven rows. I was in the middle hoping to sit her there and take either other. She was 14 or 15. She had a window seat. The guy at the window next to me said no (doosh, they were both windows). My spunky kid asked him, you like my dad that much? The woman next to me on the aisle said, take my seat darling.
at least for every villain there’s a hero 

I would gladly take a discounted window seat over a more expensive aisle seat. I control the window, I can lean my head against the wall, I can pass out cold and nobody has reason to wake me up, I avoid the death trap that is the drink cart.  Good luck with your fancy expensive aisle seats. 
I'm a window guy too for the same reasons.

give me the window...people not asking me to get up and or bumping into me from the aisle.

Noise cancelling headphones a must...these airlines crank up the volume on their PA systems ridiculously.
And getting bumped/crop dusted by the flight attendant multiple times, or run over by their cart.

Yup. Same way I switch seats with them so they can sit with their travel companions. Have done it plenty of times. It’s called being a normal non-dikkish human. 
I’ve switched seats, and I recline. Where does that place me on the airline morality scale?

I’ve seen paying extra for the comfort plus, the first 5 or so rows in coach where they supposedly give you more room (I’m skeptical). But the entire row costs more. Including the middle seat. There is no premium charge for the aisle. 
Been on United, American, Frontier, and Spirit in the last two months and all required an additional fee to pick your seat. These are "basic economy" fares. The cheapest available.
I was just about to post that. I vaguely remember Frontier charging more to pick your seat, and all the "preferred" seats were on the aisle or closer to the front. 

Also, Frontier's coach seats suck anyway.

Also, Frontier sucks.

If you mean the time my wife and I were separate, it’s explained up thread. If you mean this instance with my family, I’m pretty sure I selected seats when we booked 6 months ago, then they changed planes and we didn’t have seats anymore, so I called and the matrix above is the best Delta could do.  So, we are where we are. 

The point isn’t how we got here. It can happen all sorts of ways. And like I said, no indignation this time. Peoples’ obsession with zzzzzzommg aisle seats will work in my favor this time. I still think people who refuse reasonable seat swaps to allow family to fly together are pretty dooshy.  
I make an effort to get an aisle seat on the left hand side of the plane so that my right leg, the one with an artificial knee and hip, can be stretched out into the aisle from time to time. I have given up that seat more than once to accommodate families flying together.  I wish, of course, that they had planned better, earlier.  After all I made specific plans why should they have not done so as well?.  That said my grandparents and parents raised me to be a gentleman.  

Some premium economy seats have different price points for aisle, middle, and window. Obviously middle is the cheapest and not a ton of difference between aisle and window but I’ve seen aisle like $12 more than window on AA before. 
I'd pay an upgrade for whichever seat is next to that one hot chick you see coming down the aisle when you are already seated and you know that you and every other solvent heterosexual male on the flight are silently thinking, yes, sit her right here next to me.

Haven't read whole thread, but why don't people like the bulkhead seats?  No one in front of you?  More leg room?  I like it.  And I'd much rather have a window seat than an isle seat. I like looking out the window and checking stuff out, from departure to landing.  

Another thing I don't get is everyone running to the front during boarding.  WTF.  You're not leaving any sooner than the last person in line. Happens every flight, like some sort of odd race.

Flying with the whole family tomorrow.

We're at the front of coach, in the following configuration (O's are the O family):

X X X    X X O

X X X    X O O

X X X    X O O

In a former life, I'd have considered asking one of the aisle seats next to the double O's to switch with me.  But this thread reminded me of the extreme dbaggery people tend to exhibit over aisle seats.  So, I'm just gonna get on the plane, take the solo seat up front, and frequently turn and talk to/assist/yell at my kids sitting behind me. 

Sorry aisle folks.  At least you ended up keeping that sweet sweet aisle seat goodness you researched on SeatShark for an hour 6 months ago.
So is this just a fishing trip or are we going to get a report on how the flight went?

So is this just a fishing trip or are we going to get a report on how the flight went?
I presume Otis has gotten upgraded to first class leaving his wife to fend for herself.  He is too busy enjoying the complimentary in flight champagne, hot chocolate chip cookie and hot towel to respond right now.  Give him some time.  The trial separation thread will follow.

Flying with the whole family tomorrow.

We're at the front of coach, in the following configuration (O's are the O family):

X X X    X X O

X X X    X O O

X X X    X O O

In a former life, I'd have considered asking one of the aisle seats next to the double O's to switch with me.  But this thread reminded me of the extreme dbaggery people tend to exhibit over aisle seats.  So, I'm just gonna get on the plane, take the solo seat up front, and frequently turn and talk to/assist/yell at my kids sitting behind me. 

Sorry aisle folks.  At least you ended up keeping that sweet sweet aisle seat goodness you researched on SeatShark for an hour 6 months ago.
who makes your travel plans?  they suck.  

should be either: 

O E O    O O O

or better

X X X    O O O 

X X X    O E O

E = empty seat or 1 poor *******.  parents are on the aisle seats in both configurations  

who makes your travel plans?  they suck.  

should be either: 

O E O    O O O

or better

X X X    O O O 

X X X    O E O

E = empty seat or 1 poor *******.  parents are on the aisle seats in both configurations  
XXX   OOO

XXX   OOE is better

13 pages and a year in, and now folks are floating the notion that aisle seats cost more than window seats?  I fly a fair bit, don’t think I’ve ever seen this concept on any airline or flight. Is this like a Southwest thing or something?
they do cost more these days.  some airlines either make your seat choice random(cheapest option)  or, you can pay to pick your seat.  aisle and window are more.  bulkhead and exit row are more still.  flying back from deer valley, my family (3 ppl) was scattered about the plane.  i told the gate agent i actually still liked them, after a weeks vacation, he laughed and bumped us to business class.   :shrug:   

edit for oats:  this was on delta.

disagree.  the middle seat will get booked last.  better chance it doesn't fill.  when it's just my wife and i traveling, we always book window/aisle and hope the middle doesn't fill.  works about 60% of the time.
Seems like every flight I am on any more is filled to capacity. I'm not flying every week but do fly semi-regularly and I couldn't tell you the last flight I was on that had more than the occasional empty seat available - way more likely they are offering someone something to catch a later flight because it is overbooked than for there to be a free seat next to me. 

Seems like every flight I am on any more is filled to capacity. I'm not flying every week but do fly semi-regularly and I couldn't tell you the last flight I was on that had more than the occasional empty seat available - way more likely they are offering someone something to catch a later flight because it is overbooked than for there to be a free seat next to me. 
when the flights full, we usually keep our seats, or offer the middle person an 'upgrade'.

disagree.  the middle seat will get booked last.  better chance it doesn't fill.  when it's just my wife and i traveling, we always book window/aisle and hope the middle doesn't fill.  works about 60% of the time.
Wouldn't work over here. Here you have to assume it fills, particularly flying budget airlines, and thus better to sit next to your child

I've flown close to 30k miles ytd and close to 4MM lifetime.  If you want seats with your family, shoot the lock off your wallet and arrange them.  Don't get to the plane and expect a frequent flier who's booked well in advance to move to a seat they value less so your kids can sit together because you wouldn't move farther back to get your own row or you booked too late to get seats together.  Stop making your problem my problem.  

If you want the real solution, buy more CYDY so you can afford first class for your whole brood and not have to worry about this.  

Declined a switch request on the way home from a New Orleans work trip last Thurs night, first time after several past accommodations. I was D in this configuration: 

ABC DEF

I always get the aisle because I'm old and need to piss a lot. Would prefer window but would be rude of me given how often I get up. On this trip we had all gotten settled before taxiing, I had headphones on and eyes closed when the guy in E tapped me on the shoulder. I opened my eyes to see a ~40 yo guy nodding wildly, smiling and pointing across the aisle. I turned left towards where he was pointing and saw another dude of similar age in B...also nodding wildly, smiling and pointing at my seat. I took one last look back to my right/E to make sure I'd sized it all up correctly, then shook my head and closed my eyes as I said "sorry, no switchy".

Haven't read whole thread, but why don't people like the bulkhead seats?  No one in front of you?  More leg room?  I like it.  And I'd much rather have a window seat than an isle seat. I like looking out the window and checking stuff out, from departure to landing.  

Another thing I don't get is everyone running to the front during boarding.  WTF.  You're not leaving any sooner than the last person in line. Happens every flight, like some sort of odd race.
Depends on the plane but bulkhead in 1st class on many configurations has less legroom. 

Wouldn't work over here. Here you have to assume it fills, particularly flying budget airlines, and thus better to sit next to your child
whoever is in the middle, will switch
Right. Any middle seater that passes on an offer to swap an aisle or window (especially if they are given the option to choose between either) is the same kind of psychopath that pours their milk first, then their cereal. 

I've flown close to 30k miles ytd and close to 4MM lifetime.  If you want seats with your family, shoot the lock off your wallet and arrange them.  Don't get to the plane and expect a frequent flier who's booked well in advance to move to a seat they value less so your kids can sit together because you wouldn't move farther back to get your own row or you booked too late to get seats together.  Stop making your problem my problem.  

If you want the real solution, buy more CYDY so you can afford first class for your whole brood and not have to worry about this.  
I thought Otis said the airline canceled/switched their flight or plane forcing them to lose their previously arranged seats? But yeah...lame if they're just planning late or lazily.

This last minute airline switch has happened to us more than once...both times when the kids were basically infants. We had to power-convince anybody who would listen (certainly not the airline) to switch seats so our <5yo kids werent sitting by themselves. I remember one guy wouldnt, so my wife starting giving him the diaper bag and explaining feeding, changing and sleeping arrangements. He switched.

I thought Otis said the airline canceled/switched their flight or plane forcing them to lose their previously arranged seats? But yeah...lame if they're just planning late or lazily.

This last minute airline switch has happened to us more than once...both times when the kids were basically infants. We had to power-convince anybody who would listen (certainly not the airline) to switch seats so our <5yo kids werent sitting by themselves. I remember one guy wouldnt, so my wife starting giving him the diaper bag and explaining feeding, changing and sleeping arrangements. He switched.
I don't remember O's situation here but #### happens and you have to deal.  

I was flying home to Chicago from Heathrow yesterday and narrowly made my flight after being screened for Coronavirus.  It was food poisoning and I ended up being cleared.  I was with my wife and son (14).  I had booked my wife in first and my son and me in premium economy.  Bless my wife's heart, she gave her seat to me primarily because of my illness.  What we didn't know is that on BA premium economy, the armrests are all fixed like they are on AA in bulkhead or exit rows in economy.  So even though they had the middle four seats, they really couldn't take full advantage.  My wife started texting me to see if they could move up--I knew the answer but asked anyway and of course got the response that it was impossible because of tax implications and they could be fired etc.  I relayed and she said we should write a letter--I told her she could write it because their explanation made perfect sense to me.  People who don't fly a lot often get upset at the wrong things--save your outrage for when you have truly been wronged.

Yeah... I take separating an infant or child still dependent on their parent to make them fly solo as being "truly wronged". That's unacceptable "####" happening on the airlines' part, and should be up to them to fix...not on the parents or fellow passengers.

I was trying to think about appropriate solo flying age....ymmv kid to kid, but I remember flying cross-country entirely by myself at 7 and 8- but back in the days when my parents could pretty much walk me onto the plane, and grandparents meet me at the gate. Our 8yo wouldn't like it noe, but she'd handle it. 12yo would probably prefer it.

I think your 4 year, 11 month, 30 day, 25 min and 59 second old child needing a diaper is way more on you than them.

Users who are viewing this thread