What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dbag won’t switch seats—would you? (1 Viewer)

Are you a jerk who would refuse letting a family sit together?

• Yes I’m a jerk

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • No I’m a decent person and would let a family fly together

Votes: 95 65.1%

• Total voters
Read much of this thread. At 1st I was firmly in the "I'd move for a parent child situation, but maybe not in an adult adult situation" camp. However, some adults, my 1st wife for example, are extremely anxious while flying and allowing them to sit next to someone familiar who can effectively comfort them during take offs and landings could be a good thing.

Once I had someone offer to change seats unsolicited. As the plane was still boarding a woman in the window seat asked "Would your daughter like to sit in the window seat?" I smiled and let her know that my wife and I would be fine in the middle and aisle seats. Then the woman reached up inside her shirt, removed her bra and put it in her bag. Weird.

I was reminded of this thread when I heard my brothers story.

My brother was flying into Korea from Boston for a business trip.  While on the flight he noticed a family that was separated and he asked the dad if he wanted to switch so that he could be with his family.  The guy happily agreed.

The flight attendant saw what my brother did, and instead of him moving to the other seat, she upgraded him to first class free of charge since they had a free seat.

Read much of this thread. At 1st I was firmly in the "I'd move for a parent child situation, but maybe not in an adult adult situation" camp. However, some adults, my 1st wife for example, are extremely anxious while flying and allowing them to sit next to someone familiar who can effectively comfort them during take offs and landings could be a good thing.

Once I had someone offer to change seats unsolicited. As the plane was still boarding a woman in the window seat asked "Would your daughter like to sit in the window seat?" I smiled and let her know that my wife and I would be fine in the middle and aisle seats. Then the woman reached up inside her shirt, removed her bra and put it in her bag. Weird.
:homer:

@Otis should option the movie rights to this story.  We're all going to need something to look forward to now that Endgame is here.

I was reminded of this thread when I heard my brothers story.

My brother was flying into Korea from Boston for a business trip.  While on the flight he noticed a family that was separated and he asked the dad if he wanted to switch so that he could be with his family.  The guy happily agreed.

The flight attendant saw what my brother did, and instead of him moving to the other seat, she upgraded him to first class free of charge since they had a free seat.
See?  Humanity is still valued in some circles.  

Otis said:
Dude, I just started a thread about me fighting a bird.  
How much is your FFA retainer? I think you deserve a raise. 

Honestly the advice on avoiding the bulkhead saved me on a recent trip. 

I don't think I can either board or depart a flight now without looking for the bulkhead seat in 1st class and reminding myself that there's the Otis seat.
I can't board a flight without thinking "I hope some overly-emotional portly fellow doesn't want my seat today." I'm also considering buying a white watch for flying... just in case.

just flew home yesterday from NOLA with wife.   Was there for a work event.   We were seated separately (my asst is evidently an idiot) in seats 25C and 27D.  Both were aisle seats.  

We hoped to switch seats, but neither person in the middle seat next to us was willing to move to an aisle seat.  Long story.

Anyway, the two people next to me (middle, window) had a tight layover due to travel delays, and they wondered if their friend 1 row behind us (window seat) could switch with me so that their whole row could hop up at the end of the flight and push through quickly to catch their next flight.   They literally had zero chance of making the flight - which I told them - and I HATE window seats.  So I debated saying no to the swap.   But then I remembered this thread and grudgingly agreed to switch seats......but I told the guy I'd switch 30 min before we were due to land.

just flew home yesterday from NOLA with wife.   Was there for a work event.   We were seated separately (my asst is evidently an idiot) in seats 25C and 27D.  Both were aisle seats.  

We hoped to switch seats, but neither person in the middle seat next to us was willing to move to an aisle seat.  Long story.

Anyway, the two people next to me (middle, window) had a tight layover due to travel delays, and they wondered if their friend 1 row behind us (window seat) could switch with me so that their whole row could hop up at the end of the flight and push through quickly to catch their next flight.   They literally had zero chance of making the flight - which I told them - and I HATE window seats.  So I debated saying no to the swap.   But then I remembered this thread and grudgingly agreed to switch seats......but I told the guy I'd switch 30 min before we were due to land.
How is it that neither dumb idiot next to you or your wife would switch?

People are breathtakingly stupid. 

Now this is a legitimate gripe(unlike Otis' opus)...most people would gladly take an aisle over a middle seat.

Unless that is because they were both seated with the person beside them, I find this fairly hard to believe. And if they were seated with the person next to them, well, there's really no valid complaint.

Unless that is because they were both seated with the person beside them, I find this fairly hard to believe. And if they were seated with the person next to them, well, there's really no valid complaint.
I wasn't complaining.   :shrug:

It was a story that ended with me volunteering to give up my aisle seat for a window seat.   The oddity of not being able to sit with my wife just makes it an added quirk to the situation.  Really wasn't remotely upset in the moment or since.

Both were traveling with the person beside them in the window seat?   :shrug:  
Yeah, sort of.  One pair was clearly mother-daughter (age 55 and 30, approx).   The other "pair" were two members of a band that played at JazzFest.  Their other band-mate was sitting one row behind, in the window seat.  He's the guy I ultimately switched with.

The only thing that made it odd was that window seat woman in my row didn't speak to middle seat guy (her band mate) the entire flight.  So they really didn't need to sit together.

Full disclosure:   After 4.5 days in NOLA with my wife, I didn't really mind sitting alone.

I wasn't complaining.   :shrug:

It was a story that ended with me volunteering to give up my aisle seat for a window seat.   The oddity of not being able to sit with my wife just makes it an added quirk to the situation.  Really wasn't remotely upset in the moment or since.
OK. I missed the intention of your point because of the topic matter. Thought you were unhappy that neither middle seat was willing to switch.

I was supposed to be on a 630am flight to SFO this am but they cancelled my flight last night and re-booked me on a flight leaving at 3pm.  You can probably guess what seat they put me in:  

Bulkhead window   :hot:   :hot:   :hot:  

I was supposed to be on a 630am flight to SFO this am but they cancelled my flight last night and re-booked me on a flight leaving at 3pm.  You can probably guess what seat they put me in:  

Best seat in the house according to some

You should have removed your shoes and socks and started clipping your toenails interrupted only by a cheek lift in his direction and then a fart.  He would have moved.

I bet if Otis asked everyone around him, he could have found a way to sit next to Mrs. O --- I just don't think that is what he really wanted 🐠
Yep. Perhaps call the flight attendant, or ask the pilot to make an announcement to his fellow passengers about his dilemma. Some sort of double swap +/- cash incentive would probably do the trick. Even if he doesn't want to rub elbows with the plebeians in coach, first class can't be full of dooshbags, can it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got upgraded this morning heading home from Detroit.  Didn't look at the ticket before boarding - was still half asleep.  Went from an aisle seat in row 24 to the bulkhead.  Ugh.   Would have rather stayed in coach.

Wait you don't sit in 1st Class?

My vision of you is shattered

Can’t tell you how many times someone is flying with a husband or wife or kid but the airline screws it up and seats people apart. Because airlines are teh suck. And they ask me to shift. And whether it’s a “worse” seat or not, I don’t think I’ve ever declined, nor even considered declining. I’ve seen other people refuse and I’m pretty convinced every time that they are giant dooshbags. I’m currently sitting next to one of them. 

Wife and I are at opposite ends of the cabin in first (look at me). Ask the toolbox next to me if he’d mind switching with her. He declines.  “I don’t really want the bulkhead.” (My wife is in the first row). 

So now my wife and I, in the only 24hour trip we’ve had away from our kids in ages, can’t talk during the several hour flight. 

Why are people such jacksticks?

Would you refuse to switch seats?  

ETA — because there seems to be some confusion on this (and I have no idea how that could be, especially because, well, English words, and especially given the context I provided above), let me clarify: YES, FAMILY INCLUDES LIKE THE PERSON YOU ARE MARRIED TO AND STUFF.
The bulkhead in first class sucks.  

I was in the pretty much exact @Otissituation a bit ago.

My wife and I were coming back from Detroit. She got 1A and I got 3A. That's pretty much the worst case scenario for switching in first class.

I couldn't bring myself to ask the guy next to me if he would switch from an aisle in row 3 to the buklhead window, and no way was my wife asking her dude, so we just decided to hang in our seats. 

So we take off and they pass out the warm nuts (I love the warm nuts...) and my wife stands up and turns around and asks if I want hers because I usually take hers anyway. She hands them across the guy in 2A. My guy in 3B says - Is that your wife??? Heck man, I'll switch with her so she can sit with you.

I said I didn't want to put him out, blah blah blah, and he was already packing his #### and heading up to row 1. 

That's a good dude right there.

I was in the pretty much exact @Otissituation a bit ago.

My wife and I were coming back from Detroit. She got 1A and I got 3A. That's pretty much the worst case scenario for switching in first class.

I couldn't bring myself to ask the guy next to me if he would switch from an aisle in row 3 to the buklhead window, and no way was my wife asking her dude, so we just decided to hang in our seats. 

So we take off and they pass out the warm nuts (I love the warm nuts...) and my wife stands up and turns around and asks if I want hers because I usually take hers anyway. She hands them across the guy in 2A. My guy in 3B says - Is that your wife??? Heck man, I'll switch with her so she can sit with you.

I said I didn't want to put him out, blah blah blah, and he was already packing his #### and heading up to row 1. 

That's a good dude right there.
I think most people would do that because they aren't switching into bulkhead.   not much difference between window and aisle in first class.

He was switching to the bulkhead. It was row 1 he switched to.
ah, misread your post.  I don't think I would do it unless the couple was emphatic that it was important to them...depends on the quality of bulkhead too I suppose.

ah, misread your post.  I don't think I would do it unless the couple was emphatic that it was important to them...depends on the quality of bulkhead too I suppose.
That's why I think this guy was a saint. He needed no prompting and took a worse seat so a couple could sit together.

He probably has a lot of friends.

kutta said:
That's why I think this guy was a saint. He needed no prompting and took a worse seat so a couple could sit together.

He probably has a lot of friends.
I’d have done the same without hesitation. People need to reconsider their priorities and behavior if they’d do otherwise imo. 

I would have switched seats with most anyone after the lady next to us unwrapped the smelliest burrito I've encountered and ate it shortly after getting on the plane.

Strong.

And I like burritos. But it was bad.
Once was sitting next to a woman who was visibly disgusted by the smell of the scotch I was drinking. Like your neighbor, I got rid of it as fast as possible so at least the smell went away.

Until I ordered another.

Flying with the whole family tomorrow.

We're at the front of coach, in the following configuration (O's are the O family):

X X X    X X O

X X X    X O O

X X X    X O O

In a former life, I'd have considered asking one of the aisle seats next to the double O's to switch with me.  But this thread reminded me of the extreme dbaggery people tend to exhibit over aisle seats.  So, I'm just gonna get on the plane, take the solo seat up front, and frequently turn and talk to/assist/yell at my kids sitting behind me. 

Sorry aisle folks.  At least you ended up keeping that sweet sweet aisle seat goodness you researched on SeatShark for an hour 6 months ago.

We're at the front of coach, in the following configuration (O's are the O family):

X X X    X X O

X X X    X O O

X X X    X O O

In a former life, I'd have considered asking one of the aisle seats next to the double O's to switch with me.  But this thread reminded me of the extreme dbaggery people tend to exhibit over aisle seats.  So, I'm just gonna get on the plane, take the solo seat up front, and frequently turn and talk to/assist/yell at my kids sitting behind me. 

Sorry aisle folks.  At least you ended up keeping that sweet sweet aisle seat goodness you researched on SeatShark for an hour 6 months ago.
Book and pay for the seats you want in advance. It's not rocket surgery

X X X    X X O

X X X    X O O

X X X    X O O

you complain about stupid people and you wind up with this?    Did you book your flight like two days ago?

Your family has a week of vacation.  Those few hours not sitting next to them, that's your vacation.  In fact check in at the terminal and slip them a twenty if they let you sit as far as possible from your family then tell your wife there was a big mix up. 

Users who are viewing this thread