What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE Michael Bennett indicted on felony (2 Viewers)

Please show me evidence you actually read my post because I clearly stated the video doesn’t prove anything one way or the other. 
The way you worded your post implied we don't know if the cop said it or not because there is no video proof either way.  Using that standard, any of us can say anyone said anything and possibly be believed if no one happened to be recording it.  That is dangerous.  

It's unbelieveable people in here actually defending the biggest piece of sh@@ on earth. ANOTHER incident with police/security and people saying, you don't know the whole story blah blah. Put his thug a@@ in jail and ban him from the NFL for life.

Last edited by a moderator:
irish eyes said:
It's unbelieveable people in here actually defending the biggest piece of sh@@ on earth. ANOTHER incident with police/security and people saying, you don't know the whole story blah blah. Put his thug a@@ in jail and ban him from the NFL for life.
This isn't about Roger Goodell.

So, you don't know the law. Keep making excuses for Bennett.

The charge and why Bennett’s mental state and extent of victim’s injuries matter

Bennett has been indicted with violating Texas Penal Code § 22.04, a criminal statute that imposes a heightened punishment for injuring a child, elderly individual (defined under Texas law as someone 65 or older) or a disabled individual. A person commits this offense if he or she “intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence,” causes someone to suffer one of three defined categories of harm—serious bodily injury; serious mental deficiency, impairment, or injury; or bodily injury.
You're right, I'm neither a lawyer nor a Texan. So maybe it was appropriate under Texas law to charge him with a felony. But to quote Mr. Bumble in "Oliver Twist", if the law supposes that then the law is an a##.

And for the record, I'm not making any excuses for Bennett. I don't care one way or another what happens to him. If he indeed acted like a jerk he should be condemned, and if he broke the law he should be punished.

irish eyes said:
"I can't believe all of you people are knee-jerk defending him. Don't you realize that you should be knee-jerk condemning him?"

I hate Roger Goodell.  Honestly he might give me a heart attack one day.  He has zero integrity if Bennett isn’t immediately suspended.  I could care less if Bennett actually did anything or not, because that has never stopped this commissioner from being the Supreme Judge idiot. If Zeke can get six games without an indictment, this should be a no brainer.  If Josh Gordon can get suspended for a season for responsibly having a drink with teammates, this should be a no brainer.  If Tom Brady can get suspended after a judge overrules the NFL, this should be a no brainer. If Vincent Jackson can get suspended three games for driving without a license, this should be a no brainer. If Tank Johnson can get suspended for having guns inside his house, this should be a no brainer.  If Plaxico can get suspended for shooting himself, this should be a no brainer.  If Pac-Man Jones can get suspended for “inciting a fight”, this should be a no brainer.

Being a social activists shouldn’t get you special treatment over other athletes who have had to go through the same troubles in their life.
Uh Gordon got suspended for breaking probation rules set for him. He WASN'T SUPPOSE TO BE DRINKING AT ALL. I agree with you on a lot of the other ones though. I won't complain about Zeke since I'm an Eagles fan and anything to get Dallas fans going is a treat but in a way I do understand the frustration here. I've never like Goodell and I remember reading eitherr ESPN or SI or FoxSports article a source told them that Goodell was hard on NE and Brady on #PressureGate was because Goodell didn't want people to think he went soft on the Patriots do to his Kraft Friendship. The sources also said don't be naive even after the whole Brady Suspension both Kraft and RG are still great friends. RG had a lot of backlash by fans and media saying he went soft of the Pats with Spygate do to his friendship with Kraft and how Kraft was one of the biggest reasons he is in the Comish chair right now. 

As for the rest Didn't Tank have unregistered fire arms? Illinois law at the time said at the time didn't have Conceal carry and only allowed to posses gun on property or in the house. The ones in his trunk found were a violation of this arrest and he had unlicensed guns in his car as well. 

I would've suspended VJ for an expired license too. Look I'm running a league that has had a bad rep. These players represent a whole league not just the teams they are on. Why should Jackson get special treatment? 

Plaxico was in illegal possession of a firearm at the time. So yeah his ### would be suspended under my watch too. 

And how many chances has Pac Man been given? I remember when Goodell first was hired he said players were going to get 1 to 2 chances and if they didn't take both of them they were gone. 

I agree with the last part however I'm one to think no matter who you are famous or not you shouldn't get special treatment or a slap on the wrist. It just enables the behavior. 

As I've said before, I have no strong feelings either way for Bennett. I would just hope that if an officer witnessed a man breaking down security doors and committing felony assault, they'd make sure to detain him so he can't cause more harm.  With all of the chaos surrounding a SB ending, I don't know how an officer could determine with such little interaction that the man is no longer a danger.  Seems a little....fishy.

I agree 100% that it’s connected to his Vegas accusations.  However, right or wrong, he had to know that lying about the Vegas situation would have consequences.  Police stick up for each other, they certainly aren’t going to do him any favors.  This guy is a POS, he’s just getting what is coming to him.
I'm all for supporting cops but you bet your ### these guys stick up for each other. Some cops see their partner or another cop do horrible things that get covered up and then when asked about it will lie through their teeth. Some in fear of what might happen if they don't support their own and some because it's the nature of some cops unfortunately. This was one of the first things I thought of after hearing the report and I'm far and away not a Bennett supporter. I think both brothers are ignorant entitled Douches who have talked a lot of trash on other players and coaches and teams around the league. I'm willing to bet Marcus retired do to not wanting to play anymore but he realized no team wanted his ### for the issues he's caused. 

Only in this current world would people come to the defense of a guy like Bennett calling for "due process."  Questioning the supposed "holes" in the investigation when no one outside the case even knows anything about the details. Of course the guy will get "due process."  The need for people to bring that up immediately after a guy like Bennett is indicted on pushing some handicap old person and then bring up the Vegas stuff up as a potential reason police in another state is going after him is mind numbingly ridiculous.  It shows where we've come to as a society.   
So you are saying corruption in Police Departments doesn't exist? 

We are absolutely talking about an innocent man (the night of the Vegas shooting).   Bennett didn’t do anything against the law that night.   And what the police officer says does matter.  I believe even the most ardent supporters of law enforcement would agree that officers shouldn’t be running around telling people they’re going to blow their f***ing heads off. And I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t believe Bennett.  Just pointing out the video doesn’t prove anything one way or the other. If you don’t want to accept that, so be it
If you're an officer who does this or in law enforcement and encourage this I would severely hope you are being told to turn in your gun and badge and going for a physiological evaluation. Anyone who thinks like this shouldn't be in law enforcement and obviously can't handle the power of the badge. I know its cool to bash law enforcement these days but these are the type of clowns that ruin all the good guys and gals and people in law enforcement who do great things. It only takes a few #######s to ruin it for everyone. 

How much do you think Bennett's lawyer is salivating at the thought of cross examining this guy?

"Officer, is it common practice in the HPD, upon witnessing a felony, to let the suspect go and then charge them a year later?"
:Officer: Its not common practice for the Houston P.D. to host a Super Bowl, it is, however, common practice for us to defuse situations, particularly in a crowd experiencing explosive emotions.  We do not seek to become combative with large professional athletes in tight quarters where women and children are present and backup is not readily available.  Sometimes we defuse matters and address them at more propitious times. Our operational orders for that event were to defuse what matters we could for the safety of everyone involved.  We were reminded that crowds are by their nature excitable and subject to their own dynamics and can easily be provoked to disorder.  We exercised mature restraint suitable to the conditions knowing matters could be addressed later.

Bennett should not have mouthed off, broken doors, or pushed others, period. The guy behaved like a goof, and if in doing so he broke existing laws, than he is culpable and should need to answer for his actions.

Also totally fine with a heightened criminal statute that pertains to injuring kids, the elderly, or the disabled.

While what Bennett did caused injury, I am not sure a sprained shoulder could be categorized as "serious" bodily injury - if the statute calls for a felony for any bodily injury, well, by the spirit of the law that's what he did, but not sure I'd categorize that kind of injury as a felony.

Bennett's behavior -- here and in previous incidents -- is terrible, but I don't think this incident puts him over the top to be a guy that is bannable for life, unsignable by any team, etc.

I believe all of these viewpoints are not mutually exclusive.

:Officer: Its not common practice for the Houston P.D. to host a Super Bowl, it is, however, common practice for us to defuse situations, particularly in a crowd experiencing explosive emotions.  We do not seek to become combative with large professional athletes in tight quarters where women and children are present and backup is not readily available.  Sometimes we defuse matters and address them at more propitious times. Our operational orders for that event were to defuse what matters we could for the safety of everyone involved.  We were reminded that crowds are by their nature excitable and subject to their own dynamics and can easily be provoked to disorder.  We exercised mature restraint suitable to the conditions knowing matters could be addressed later.
So he didn't detain Bennett because he was afraid of him? Two problems with that argument:

First, what exactly was he afraid of? That Bennett would take a swing at him or steal his gun? Bennett was a public figure in the most public of settings (and the cop said in his statement that he recognized him). What reason would the officer have had to think that he would resist arrest?

Second, if he was in fact so dangerous that a cop (who presumably had some combination of a gun, baton and handcuffs) was afraid to confront him, wouldn't that be all the more reason not to let him run free?

For the record, I don't have any particular theory as to why the cop waited so long. I just think it's kind of strange, and would go a long way toward establishing reasonable doubt if the case ever goes to trial. Which, incidentally, I don't think it will. Unless Bennett is completely innocent and decides to fight the charge on general principle, he will plea down to some lesser charge and get a fine and/or suspended sentence. Which, based on what we've heard so far, is probably the best outcome.

So he didn't detain Bennett because he was afraid of him? Two problems with that argument:

First, what exactly was he afraid of? That Bennett would take a swing at him or steal his gun? Bennett was a public figure in the most public of settings (and the cop said in his statement that he recognized him). What reason would the officer have had to think that he would resist arrest?  he had, apparently, already violated instruction and social norms.

Second, if he was in fact so dangerous that a cop (who presumably had some combination of a gun, baton and handcuffs) was afraid to confront him, wouldn't that be all the more reason not to let him run free?  Not if the officer perceived Bennetts problems to be with authority, not his fellow revelers.  The damage was done and over, or could very reasonably have been perceived as such.

For the record, I don't have any particular theory as to why the cop waited so long. I just think it's kind of strange, and would go a long way toward establishing reasonable doubt if the case ever goes to trial. Which, incidentally, I don't think it will. Unless Bennett is completely innocent and decides to fight the charge on general principle, he will plea down to some lesser charge and get a fine and/or suspended sentence. Which, based on what we've heard so far, is probably the best outcome.
No, but I might suggest that arresting a large and with some popular fellow in the middle of a crowd can make that crowd react, and react negatively.  An arrest can become a match to spark a fire.   if you believe cops address every offense in front of them without regard to circumstances you are mistaken.  many times I have seen cops ignore violations as a tactical matter.

In the end I am not saying that this is what happened.  I am merely raising the posibility when some suggest there was no reasonable interpretation otherwise.

No, but I might suggest that arresting a large and with some popular fellow in the middle of a crowd can make that crowd react, and react negatively.  an arrest can become a match to spark a fire.   if you believe cops address every offense in front of them without regard to circumstances you are mistaken.  many times I have seen cops ignore violations as a tactical matter.

In the end I am not saying that this is what happened.  I am merely raising the posibility when some suggest there was no reasonable interpretation otherwise.
Yeah, but did those cops you saw then go back a year later and charge the violators with a felony?

I absolutely agree that there could be a reasonable explanation for the cop's behavior. But the "reasonable doubt" standard refers to Bennett, not the cop. If the cop's behavior raises questions in a reasonable person's mind that Bennett is guilty (e.g., "it couldn't have been that bad if he didn't detain him"), then Bennett can't be convicted. And I suspect the cop's actions were unusual enough that the defense would hammer that over and over.

(Apropos of nothing, the scenario you describe -- where the crowd reacts to Bennett's hypothetical arrest by basically starting a riot -- reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves in movies: when two characters in a bar start fighting, and immediately everyone else at the bar stops what they're doing and starts randomly fighting with strangers and trashing the place.)  :boxing:

Yeah, but did those cops you saw then go back a year later and charge the violators with a felony?

I absolutely agree that there could be a reasonable explanation for the cop's behavior. But the "reasonable doubt" standard refers to Bennett, not the cop. If the cop's behavior raises questions in a reasonable person's mind that Bennett is guilty (e.g., "it couldn't have been that bad if he didn't detain him"), then Bennett can't be convicted. And I suspect the cop's actions were unusual enough that the defense would hammer that over and over.

(Apropos of nothing, the scenario you describe -- where the crowd reacts to Bennett's hypothetical arrest by basically starting a riot -- reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves in movies: when two characters in a bar start fighting, and immediately everyone else at the bar stops what they're doing and starts randomly fighting with strangers and trashing the place.)  :boxing:
I am gong to leave yours as the last substantive word on the matter.  I post merely to acknowledge that your words to me found me as well as whatever wide audience reads this thread.  I did not want you wondering whether I saw your post.

Well, getting a bit more of the story certainly tempers my skepticism - which is not unusual.

Bennett deserves to be charged if the police account is accurate.  The assaults merit that.  I am guessing the 10 yrs of incarceration are a maximum penalty which I would suppose would not be imposed for this level of bad behavior.  The felony seemed harsh until it was disclosed that a LEO was assaulted.  You put your hands on a cop and you earned yourself some significant punishment.  I still question who thought it was a great idea to have a parapalegic enforce security at an entrance - I know, I know PC and all that, but security still may have to take action that would seem to put an individual with such a handicap in a very bad and potentially unsafe at-risk environment. I don’t question the LEO’s decision.  Sometimes not escalating is absolutely the best course of action.

All in all, what an odd series of events with some bad judgment by several parties here.

Well, getting a bit more of the story certainly tempers my skepticism - which is not unusual.

Bennett deserves to be charged if the police account is accurate.  The assaults merit that.  I am guessing the 10 yrs of incarceration are a maximum penalty which I would suppose would not be imposed for this level of bad behavior.  The felony seemed harsh until it was disclosed that a LEO was assaulted.  You put your hands on a cop and you earned yourself some significant punishment.  I still question who thought it was a great idea to have a parapalegic enforce security at an entrance - I know, I know PC and all that, but security still may have to take action that would seem to put an individual with such a handicap in a very bad and potentially unsafe at-risk environment. I don’t question the LEO’s decision.  Sometimes not escalating is absolutely the best course of action.

All in all, what an odd series of events with some bad judgment by several parties here.
I believe the people he is accused of assaulting were all private security guards employed by the stadium. They would not be considered law-enforcement officers. According to the account posted by @gunther, Bennett cursed at and ignored the cop, but did not assault him.

I believe the people he is accused of assaulting were all private security guards employed by the stadium. They would not be considered law-enforcement officers. According to the account posted by @gunther, Bennett cursed at and ignored the cop, but did not assault him.

I believe cursing at the cop is an asssult. Perhaps I am mistaken, as I am not a lawyer.  Failing to follow directions would also seem to violate the law, but again I’m not sure.  Compound that with the violence against security and breaking into a restricted area, and he certainly seems to merit something significant.

I believe cursing at the cop is an asssult. Perhaps I am mistaken, as I am not a lawyer.  Failing to follow directions would also seem to violate the law, but again I’m not sure.  Compound that with the violence against security and breaking into a restricted area, and he certainly seems to merit something significant.
He wasn't charged for any of his behavior toward the cop. The felony is for injuring the security guard because she was disabled.

(Funny story -- back when I was in high school, one of my classmates was driving through town when he saw a buddy of his. He thought it would be funny to flip him the bird. Only problem was a cop was standing nearby and thought the finger was intended for him. He gave him a ticket because, apparently, cops can ticket you for that, though I'm not even sure what the charge was. My classmate tried to plead his case that his friend was the target. Meanwhile, said friend stood across the street snickering.)

He wasn't charged for any of his behavior toward the cop. The felony is for injuring the security guard because she was disabled.

(Funny story -- back when I was in high school, one of my classmates was driving through town when he saw a buddy of his. He thought it would be funny to flip him the bird. Only problem was a cop was standing nearby and thought the finger was intended for him. He gave him a ticket because, apparently, cops can ticket you for that, though I'm not even sure what the charge was. My classmate tried to plead his case that his friend was the target. Meanwhile, said friend stood across the street snickering.)
The cops cannot ticket you for giving them the finger.  If they make something up it is almost certain to get thrown out.

The cops cannot ticket you for giving them the finger.  If they make something up it is almost certain to get thrown out.
Interesting. I always wondered about that. Didn't know the guy well enough to get the full story

Maybe the cop figured a teenager was unlikely to challenge him? 

We are absolutely talking about an innocent man (the night of the Vegas shooting).   Bennett didn’t do anything against the law that night.   And what the police officer says does matter.  I believe even the most ardent supporters of law enforcement would agree that officers shouldn’t be running around telling people they’re going to blow their f***ing heads off. And I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t believe Bennett.  Just pointing out the video doesn’t prove anything one way or the other. If you don’t want to accept that, so be it
:lmao:

Bronco Billy said:
From what I remember it's not assault. It's just a failure to obey law enforcement orders or whatever the legal term is. I think failure to cooperate with Law enforcement which is a misdemeanor. It's usually dropped in small cases unless the Poo poo really want you for something. 

That cameraman was working for the CBS affiliate in Philadelphia. Unless the cameraman was very new on the job, Bennett should have known the guy at least in passing. We can chalk it up to being emotional ... but Bennett was the one and only Eagles' player who went after their hometown cameraman like that.

If a random Eagles DE people weren't already predisposed to dislike did this, it would be a complete non-story. Which it still should be.

I don't have any strong feelings positive or negative about Bennett. I think he's an interesting guy who can also be a jerk, and it certainly sounds like he lied about the incident in Vegas. But this is a complete nothingburger.

Users who are viewing this thread