What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadwood (2 Viewers)

I watched last night, and enjoyed it but must admit I was a little lost. If anyone could give a brief synopsis, I'd appreciate it.Is the character with the red hair and mustache the principal from Ferris Buellers Day Off? If so, I thought he ran into some legal trouble ala Peewee Herman.TIA.
beuller? yes.go to HBO.com and read up.

Killing off Hickock seems foolish this early. Carradine's presence helped lend credibility and authority to the show and cast. He will be sorely missed. Oliphant seems like he may have that special aura to fill in for him, but those are some mighty big boots Carradine created in four weeks.

This shoe continues to stick its hooks deeper into me. I find myself pissed off when it ends now.
I agree. This show is great. So far, it is the only TV series that me and the woman can agree to watch without any 'bartering'.

I agree. This show is great. So far, it is the only TV series that me and the woman can agree to watch without any 'bartering'.
bartering?You need to learn to get to the remote first and NEVER let go. :rant:

Not as pleased with this week's episode. The new subplots and characters are being introduced sloppily. Why was the bartender/murderer seeking advice from the whore, of all people? Who is "Andy" and what's with this mysterious illness? These may become clearer in later episodes, but I was left feeling confusion rather than suspense.And by 10 minutes in, I found myself counting how many "cork soakers" there were. Five in one scene alone! It's almost like the writers have a bet on how many times they can write it into the dialogue.

Not as pleased with this week's episode. The new subplots and characters are being introduced sloppily. Why was the bartender/murderer seeking advice from the whore, of all people? Who is "Andy" and what's with this mysterious illness? These may become clearer in later episodes, but I was left feeling confusion rather than suspense.And by 10 minutes in, I found myself counting how many "cork soakers" there were. Five in one scene alone! It's almost like the writers have a bet on how many times they can write it into the dialogue.
My bet is that he has smallpox. Its highly contagious so that hotel and its inhabitant may be history.

There were two factories in New York City. One of them made maternity frocks for expectant mothers, so they were called the "Mother Frockers".The factory across the street made corks for wine bottles. They had to soak the corks before they could put them into the bottles, so they were called the "Cork Soakers".One day a Cork Soaker didn't soak a cork long enough and it flew out of one of the bottles and hit one of the Mother Frockers in the eye.That made all the Mother Frockers mad at the Cork Soakers, so they went outside and had the biggest Mother-Frocking Cork Soaking fight you ever saw...

this show, I bet they consulted my grandpa on the proper language to use to depict cowboy life properly. He used to be a wild horse wrangler for the BLM. My earliest memories of him he was yelling "you little #### sucker"!

Killing off Hickock seems foolish this early. Carradine's presence helped lend credibility and authority to the show and cast. He will be sorely missed. Oliphant seems like he may have that special aura to fill in for him, but those are some mighty big boots Carradine created in four weeks.
I agree to some point. But historically speaking, Hickock is actually buried in Deadwood (thanks to a link posted a few pages ago).I don't think Hickock had much more to offer at this point. All he was doing was playing cards and drinking, with a little bit of stuff in between which should set up the rest of the series. He got Bullock to look after the widow-Garrett's claim that her hubby was knocked off for some reason. When he climbed up the building Bullock was building, I got the sense of Hickock passing the torch, so to speak, to Bullock. Bullock then mentioned that he would look after her (nodding towards the hotel).....At the time, I assumed it was the little girl, but could it have mentioned Calamity Jane, too?Also, when his buddy (Eggard?) went back to Cheyenne, he said something to the effect of can't you let me die the way I want, and then he was shown writing a letter to his wife, basically closing all his loose ends, as far as I could guess....

Ricky Jay (Eddie Sawyer) and Doc (Brad Dourif) are two of my favorite all-time characters from two of my all-time favorite indie movies:

Ricky Jay as George in David Mamet's House of Games.. he of the leaking pistol.

Brad Dourif as Hazel Motes in John Huston's Wise Blood. One of the most unforgettable characters in movie history.

I am loving that these guys can continue to stay in the biz and make a few bucks on HBO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody find any value (other than symbolic) to the guy that rides in during the final minute with the Indian head in his hands? Obviously this is an allusion to the death of Hicock and how the head of law and authority has been cut off (the appearance of the man holding the head was meant to be a savage one, lawlessness is defeating order in Deadwood). Also, does anyone understand who this Andy character is? I agree that he probably has smallpox, and it looks like from next week's previews that they dump him in the woods and Calamity Jane finds him, but what is his relation to the other characters to begin with?Fantastic show; can't wait till it comes out on DVD. Between Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, Band of Brothers, and my wife's love for Sex and the City, I should own stock in HBO.

Anybody find any value (other than symbolic) to the guy that rides in during the final minute with the Indian head in his hands? Obviously this is an allusion to the death of Hicock and how the head of law and authority has been cut off (the appearance of the man holding the head was meant to be a savage one, lawlessness is defeating order in Deadwood). Also, does anyone understand who this Andy character is? I agree that he probably has smallpox, and it looks like from next week's previews that they dump him in the woods and Calamity Jane finds him, but what is his relation to the other characters to begin with?Fantastic show; can't wait till it comes out on DVD. Between Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, Band of Brothers, and my wife's love for Sex and the City, I should own stock in HBO.
I actually thought the guy riding in w/ the Indian head detracted from the fact that Wild Bill was just shot. It puzzled me why they brought that in....See my post above about how I felt Hickock getting shot was passing the torch to Bullock, actually showing a human side by asking Bullock if he was okay w/ the "Montana" nickname, writing his wife etc.....Which, by the way after seeing the show again last night, I feel was the total point of this episode.And no, I don't have any clue to the signifigance of that Andy guy....

bartering?You need to learn to get to the remote first and NEVER let go. :rant:
NO way man. Outside of football season you can call me Mr. Flexible. Inside of football season I need absolute control over every electronic object in the house. Thems the rules. She can watch CourtTV all she wants right now- but when I want to watch football all bets are off and she ends up calling up her friends if she wants to watch something on TV.

Talk about good television. "You done prayin?"<Madame makes out with prostitute until saloon owner is satisfied> :thumbup:

Updating the Deadwood Dead Pool for Episode Five:

No kills this week.

Oh, you could argue that Andy is dead already out there in the woods. But until the coroner's report verifies he's dead next week, he doesn't make the list.

Who was that banging that whore on the table when Dan walked in and told him the jury was coming back? Was that the judge or just some guy that works for Al?

Every week I am more and more impressed with the character of Calamity Jane and her development. Great acting. Great writing. She, IMO, is the best character on the show, except for maybe Al Sweringer.I loved E.B. working everything in his head out loud last night. Me has a feeling that E.B. may be the one to do in Al at the end of the series.

Every week I am more and more impressed with the character of Calamity Jane and her development. Great acting. Great writing. She, IMO, is the best character on the show, except for maybe Al Sweringer.I loved E.B. working everything in his head out loud last night. Me has a feeling that E.B. may be the one to do in Al at the end of the series.
Strongly agree with both of these viewpoints.Calamity Jane's character is an important one, and Robin Weigart is doing a fine job of portraying the role as something more complex than just a foul-mouthed Wild Bill groupie with an appetite for hard liquor.William Sanderson had his best scene yet while scrubbing the blood off the hotel floor. For the first time in this series I was able to see him as something other than "Larry" of "Larry, Darrell and Darrell" fame. He could prove to be the undoing of Searingen's schemes.

EB = Schmegel?That was all I could think while he was going through that scene. I was suprised to see the two saloon owners hanging together too. It seems like a flaw in the righting.Does small pox cause convulsion? (sp?) Seeing the Rev. in them last night had me wondering if it was that or something else from that nut.

I was suprised to see the two saloon owners hanging together too.
Not surprised here. Deadwood is a fat young sheep of a town, ripe for the fleecing. These two wolves recognize each other for the predators they are, and would rightly keep a close eye on each other while knowing there's more than enough "Hooplehead gold" for both of them.

EB = Schmegel?That was all I could think while he was going through that scene. I was suprised to see the two saloon owners hanging together too. It seems like a flaw in the righting.Does small pox cause convulsion? (sp?) Seeing the Rev. in them last night had me wondering if it was that or something else from that nut.
I think the Preacher has epilespy. To my knowlege, smallpoz dis not exhibit that symptom.

Also, does anyone understand who this Andy character is? I agree that he probably has smallpox, and it looks like from next week's previews that they dump him in the woods and Calamity Jane finds him, but what is his relation to the other characters to begin with?
I believe he has some connection to Tolliver. I read something that they had supposedly teamed up for some scams in the past, but Tolliver obviously wasn't very happy to see him. Maybe Andy has some beans to spill?

I believe he has some connection to Tolliver. I read something that they had supposedly teamed up for some scams in the past, but Tolliver obviously wasn't very happy to see him. Maybe Andy has some beans to spill?
I think Tolliver recognized Andy had smallpox and decided he had to go, friend or no. Business decision.The madame protesteth.

I think Tolliver recognized Andy had smallpox and decided he had to go, friend or no. Business decision.The madame protesteth.
But didn't he ask him how a hot bath and some sex with a strange woman would suit him? I doubt he wanted the guy anywhere near his ladies if he thought he had the pox. I thought Cy was less than happy to see him when he walked through the door.

Deadwood is fantastic in my opinion. I can't believe I now look forward to this show more than I do the Sopranos...go figure.I kept begging for Calamity Jane to NOT touch her canteen to the small pox guy. She was getting awfully close there when she was dumping water in his grill. Has anyone here had a good piece of Nebraska p***y? :rotflmao:

“True or not Eddie? -when a man wets his end in Nebraska p*ssy, his life is changed forever."

"Speaking only for myself, I still mark the anniversary.” :lol:

—-Tolliver and Sawyer.

“Sometimes I wish we could just hit 'em over the head, rob 'em, and throw their bodies in the creek."

"But that would be wrong. ”

—-Swearengen & Tolliver :thumbup:

Swearengen is awesome. He's such a rat...he should get nominated for something come Emmy time. I just find myself laughing with every line of his.

Deadwood's best lines from HBO.coms

edited to add link

Updating the Deadwood Dead Pool for Episode Five:

No kills this week.

Oh, you could argue that Andy is dead already out there in the woods. But until the coroner's report verifies he's dead next week, he doesn't make the list.
LOL at the Dead Count page that HBO.com is keeping track of on it's own website. TFF. :rotflmao:

Deadwood is fantastic in my opinion. I can't believe I now look forward to this show more than I do the Sopranos...go figure.I kept begging for Calamity Jane to NOT touch her canteen to the small pox guy. She was getting awfully close there when she was dumping water in his grill. Has anyone here had a good piece of Nebraska p***y? :rotflmao:
I really doubt smallpox could live in an enviroment with that much alcohol. She's got to walk around with about a .25 minimum.

I never got into Six Feet Under, but I like The Sopranos, Carnivale, and Deadwood.Funny thing about this week was how many lawyers were avilable to defend the guy. You gotta figure in a town with no laws, they wouldn't need any....

no one noticed him walk out of his room see everyone clamorring and say "get f&^%ing" not get back to work but....oh yeah and "I apologize"

This was one of the best episodes yet. The new saloon keeper (Powers Boothe) is proving to be every bit as nasty as Al Swearengen. Calamity Jane's part seems to have expanded to fill the void left by Wild Bill Hickok, and Robin Weigert is shining in that role.Nice to see Seth Bullock expressing an emotion other than seething rage, even if the new emotion is berserker rage.Props to the director for furthering the character development of the Prospector, the Croupier (Ricky Jay), the Preacher and the Newspaper Editor. Deadwood now seems to be populated by real people rather than just "extras" in wild west costumes.Which couple will be the first to hook up in this series: Seth and the Widow? Or Sol Star and Trixie, the Whore with a Heart of Gold? Or (God forbid!) the Doctor and Calamity Jane?

William Sanderson had his best scene yet while scrubbing the blood off the hotel floor. For the first time in this series I was able to see him as something other than "Larry" of "Larry, Darrell and Darrell" fame. He could prove to be the undoing of Searingen's schemes.
His character seems to be getting smarter and smarter each episode. Certainly an interesting development there.

E.B.: Be brief!Jane: Be *****d!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: GB Calamity Jane....she has the best lines in this series, hands down.

Nice to see Seth Bullock expressing an emotion other than seething rage, even if the new emotion is berserker rage.
There was also almost a smile on his of satisfaction that they did the right thing when they elevated the Indian.Very good episode. HBO keeps hittin git out of the park: Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Deadwood, The Wire, Six Feet Under - their shows are leagues better than the major networks' craptacular reality show/stale sitcom humor/forced speech dramas.Even basic cable is better than the major networks with The Shield, the Daily Show, South Park, and Most Extreme Elimination!!

Even basic cable is better than the major networks with The Shield, the Daily Show, South Park, and Most Extreme Elimination!!
Just because you don't like Will & Grace don't mean there's somethin' wrong with you....it means there's somethin' wrong with Will!FYI, Marc, start watching the Chapelle Show.

Very good episode. HBO keeps hittin git out of the park: Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Deadwood, The Wire, Six Feet Under - their shows are leagues better than the major networks' craptacular reality show/stale sitcom humor/forced speech drama
Are they going to do another season of "The Wire" ? I really enjoyed that show.

Are they going to do another season of "The Wire" ? I really enjoyed that show.
I don't know - I hope so. As I recall, it was a summer HBO thing anyway.Let's get back on Deadwood, though. Which major character is getting smallpox and then getting cured just in time?My guess is the Rev - and is he the creepiest character on the show or what? Goofy smile talking in B.S. riddles, and now the seizures? I have the feelign he has only "partially" been saved after the Civil War - I think he's gonna eventually fall off the path and turn out to be able to committ some really horrid atrocities.One thing I really like about Deadwood is it feels like it was shot as one huge movie.Clothing, bruises/injuries, makeup, layout, everything all seems to be consistent week to week.One other thing about it - you have to CONCENTRATE on that show - I missed the first ten minutes one week and was really struggling with catchup the rest of the show - didn't make sense till I saw the repeat later in the week.

...[the Rev]...is he the creepiest character on the show or what? Goofy smile talking in B.S. riddles, and now the seizures? I have the feelign he has only "partially" been saved after the Civil War - I think he's gonna eventually fall off the path and turn out to be able to committ some really horrid atrocities...
Strongly disagree.Harkening back to my "biblical references" post earlier in this thread:

I believe each of the Deadwood characters can be placed somewhere along a spectrum, with Absolute Evil on one end and Absolute Good on the other. (Good versus Evil is a consistent theme in Westerns generally, and appears to be even more emphasized in this epic.)

(I also have a theory that each character will be forced to choose between Good and Evil at some point as the show progresses, and many have already faced -- or are facing -- that decision...but that's for another post.)

If you imagine Al Swearengen at the Evil end of the spectrum, then the Preacher is at the opposite end. He is guided by Goodness (the "Good book") first and foremost, having dedicated his life to the Word. His own personal battle with Evil is manifested in his epileptic seizures, as though the Devil knows He cannot break the Preacher through conventional means (temptation, for instance) and must break him physically instead. Weren't epileptics commonly thought to be possessed by the Devil when in the throes of a seizure many years ago?

The Preacher seems to be above the affairs of common men, above the sins of the flesh. He concerns himself with the larger issues of Salvation and the Word of God. He's the last person I'd worry about doing something innately Evil or sinful.

The Preacher seems to be above the affairs of common men, above the sins of the flesh. He concerns himself with the larger issues of Salvation and the Word of God. He's the last person I'd worry about doing something innately Evil or sinful.
While I normally agree with the preacher's role in Westerns, this preacher has already had discussions about how he was an evil man who found goodness - he was drinker, killer, and a Civil War veteran who loved to kill.He may be the symbol of salvation, but to me there is something very creepy about him - he seems to delight in seeing people dying or dead.

While I normally agree with the preacher's role in Westerns, this preacher has already had discussions about how he was an evil man who found goodness - he was drinker, killer, and a Civil War veteran who loved to kill.

He may be the symbol of salvation, but to me there is something very creepy about him - he seems to delight in seeing people dying or dead.
The Preacher is surrounded by Death, as are all the residents of Deadwood. His "delight" isn't with Death, but with the certain knowledge of Life after Death. He knows that beyond this dreary existence there is something far more beautiful and transcendent awaiting us. His response to the Doc in the hospital tent ("I am right where I am supposed to be") demonstrates his understanding of his place in this world as the gatekeeper to Salvation and Eternal Reward.

BTW, the "gibberish" he's been spouting the past few weeks makes a lot more sense upon repeated viewing. The overarching themes of this show are spelled out in his words, though they're frustratingly difficult to understand the first time through. He really is speaking directly to the show's protagonist Seth Bullock in almost every comment he makes, opening Seth's eyes to the scope of his mission.

Edited to correct the Preacher's quote after re-watching the episode, and to wonder...is the Preacher the Angel of Death?

BTW, the "gibberish" he's been spouting the past few weeks makes a lot more sense upon repeated viewing. The overarching themes of this show are spelled out in his words, though they're frustratingly difficult to understand the first time through. He really is speaking directly to the show's protagonist Seth Bullock in almost every comment he makes, opening Seth's eyes to the scope of his mission.
I noticed this too. His monologue at Bills funeral didn't make sense the first time I listened to it. But the second time it made total sense. The preacher may not be the must succint man in Deadwood, but he does see straight through Bullock. Bullock is the type of guy who knows what is right to do but gets ticked because it always gets in the way of his own life. Thats why he got so ticked when he had to go after Bills killer. Bullock just wants to run his store, but he keeps getting "pulled back in".

Just watched last week's episode on TiVo. All caught up. This show is awesome.Loved this line:"Her gutter mouth, and the widow in an opium stupor: a conversation for the ages.”—Farnum as Calamity Jane heads up to see the widowAnd I love almost everything that comes out of Al Swearengen's mouth.Looking forward to Sunday night's show. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread