What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadwood (1 Viewer)

Is that one guy Larry from the second Bob Newhart show?Where's his brother Daryl and his other brother Daryl?
Yes, he and Keith Carradine (Hickok) are about the only people I've ever heard of before. But the aforemention Powers Boothe will be on a future episode. Looking at IMDB, the doc was the voice of Chucky.

Who is the guy that plays Montana, it looks like Michael Biehn from the Terminator series, but I guess not. I swear, everyone in there looks like someone else. I kept getting a Al Pacino or Powers Boothe (bad-guy in Tombstone) feeling from Swearingen, Michael Biehn from Montana, and John C. Reilly from half the guys who work for Swearingen.
:rotflmao: I see that. The dumb flunky with the beard (the one that Swearington punched in the face in Episode 1) reminds me of a cross between John C. Reilly and Will Ferrell. I had to keep checking to make sure he wasn't really Frank the Tank in disguise.

Yes, he and Keith Carradine (Hickok) are about the only people I've ever heard of before. But the aforemention Powers Boothe will be on a future episode.

Looking at IMDB, the doc was the voice of Chucky.
Brad Dourif (the doctor) was the stuttering Billy Bibbitt character in the film One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. His finest hour, IMO, though he's making the most of his current role in Deadwood.

Who is the guy that plays Montana, it looks like Michael Biehn from the Terminator series, but I guess not.
I don't know his name (and i'm too lazy to google it) but he was the black cop's sidekick on "Gone in 60-seconds."

Is that one guy Larry from the second Bob Newhart show?

Where's his brother Daryl and his other brother Daryl?
Yes, it is Larry of Larry, Darryl and Darryl fame. William Sanderson has found steady work since his Newhart days...but is there a worse actor in television today? I know it's largely his quirky line delivery and goofy looks that make him so memorable, but he just doesn't seem to be engaging in any role he plays; it's like he's reading cue cards during the actual filming.I'd rather see Tracey Walter in the role as the Deadwood hotelier. Sanderson is just a pale imitation of Walter.

Yes, it is Larry of Larry, Darryl and Darryl fame. William Sanderson has found steady work since his Newhart days...but is there a worse actor in television today? I know it's largely his quirky line delivery and goofy looks that make him so memorable, but he just doesn't seem to be engaging in any role he plays; it's like he's reading cue cards during the actual filming.

I'd rather see Tracey Walter in the role as the Deadwood hotelier. Sanderson is just a pale imitation of Walter.
HKB Frog.

The body count is higher in Deadwood than it is on The Sopranos so far this season.

DEADWOOD: (total episodes aired so far: 2)

1) The prisoner back in Montana (hanged)

2) Trixie's abusive trick in Deadwood (shot through the temple, fed to the ********'s pigs)

3-6) Most members of the "squarehead" Metz family (hacked up along the road back to Minnesota)

7) Tim Driscoll (stabbed by his compadre Dan Dority, fed to the ********'s pigs)

8) Ned Mason (beaten to the draw by Wild Bill Hickok)

9) Tom Mason (beaten to the draw by Wild Bill Hickok)

10) Persimmon Phil (stabbed in the gizzard by Al Swearengen)

Anyone care to list the body count from the three episodes of The Sopranos? I'm tired of Googling.

:JoeT:

Who is the guy that plays Montana, it looks like Michael Biehn from the Terminator series, but I guess not. I swear, everyone in there looks like someone else. I kept getting a Al Pacino or Powers Boothe (bad-guy in Tombstone) feeling from Swearingen, Michael Biehn from Montana, and John C. Reilly from half the guys who work for Swearingen.
I thought he looked like Johnny Ringo from Tombstone.

The body count is higher in Deadwood than it is on The Sopranos so far this season.

2) Trixie's abusive trick in Deadwood (shot through the temple, fed to the ********'s pigs)

3-6) Most members of the "squarehead" Metz family (hacked up along the road back to Minnesota)

7) Tim Driscoll (stabbed by his compadre Dan Dority, fed to the ********'s pigs)

Anyone care to list the body count from the three episodes of The Sopranos? I'm tired of Googling.

Well Carmine had a stroke, so he doesn't really count.....The only whacks I can remember is the councilman who gave Tony the painting of the Rat Pack, and was squealing to the feds, and the lady scheister last Sunday.

Well Carmine had a stroke, so he doesn't really count.....The only whacks I can remember is the councilman who gave Tony the painting of the Rat Pack, and was squealing to the feds, and the lady scheister last Sunday.
Don't forget her gay bodyguard and I don't know if you count them, but two of AJ's classmates died in a car crash, though they didn't actually show it.BTW, can anyone tell me what a "squarehead" is?

Don't forget her gay bodyguard and I don't know if you count them, but two of AJ's classmates died in a car crash, though they didn't actually show it.BTW, can anyone tell me what a "squarehead" is?
Right....her bodyguard, too.....I don't think the kids in the car crash count.I assume the "squarehead" term is a derogatory term for the Scandinavians who were in the West. I don't know the origin....

This show sucksMaybe because I was raised on Clint Eastwood and John Wayne westerns.I don't care what anyone says it doesnt seem right that every other word is a F bomb. Even if that is historically true there have been to many westerns made that didnt do that so that is what I am used to.That talk is fine in The Sopranos.I would be equally upset if there was no cussing in shows like the Sopranos.I dont think Deadwood will see year three.

Nobody died in tonights episode, but so far the count is 5 according to this website (including Carmine)http://www.the-sopranos.com/db/bodycount_s5.htm

Season 1 had 15

Season 2 had 7

Season 3 had 10

Season 4 had 7

44 overall deaths in the series so far

http://www.the-sopranos.com/db/bodycount.htm

Interesting write up about Deadwood.

'Deadwood' denizens have shockingly modern mouthsHBO#$&*@! The new HBO series "Deadwood," starring Ricky Jay (left) and Powers Boothe, is heavy on cursing.Pilgrim, you might want to get the kids into bed before you watch "Deadwood."You're about to see and hear the old West as the Duke and Gary Cooper and Jimmy Stewart never showed it.In the first hour of HBO's new 12-part series, the residents of the 19th-century Black Hills mining camp speak more than 80 obscene words and phrases, with the majority centering on the F-word.It's not as if you haven't heard so-called adult language on cable television before, especially on HBO, where "Deadwood" follows "The Sopranos." But Tony Soprano and Uncle Junior are 21st-century New Jersey mobsters. We don't expect such people to talk nice.In "Deadwood," the foul language has a creepy strangeness to it, even to viewers grown numb to obscenity and violence in TV and movies.The hardy pioneers who conquered the West just didn't talk like that.Did they?Yes, said "Deadwood" producer and writer David Milch. "I researched the show a good long time," he said. "And the one thing upon which everyone agrees was that the profanity and obscenity was astounding."Martin Tropp, an expert in Victorian literature at Babson College in Massachusetts, said Milch is partly right: Victorians on the American frontier certainly cussed and swore, but what words did they actually say?We can't know for sure, he said, but they probably weren't the words that curdle the air in "Deadwood.""When I saw the promos for the show," Tropp said, "my first reaction was: 'People didn't talk like that.' "So what dirty words, if any, were popular in the Victorian era?"We don't know what obscene language the Victorians used," he said. "There was such incredible control over what was published back then."While Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane were slogging through the filthy streets and saloons of Deadwood, S.D., Queen Victoria was sitting on the throne of the British Empire, setting the standard for everything decent in the English-speaking world.Theirs was an era when the word "leg" was considered too risque for public print. (The less provocative "limb" was preferred.) And a tour through the literary stacks of Victorian Britain and America will yield nary a filthy word, even on the lips of churlish vagabonds and villains. According to "The Oxford Dictionary of Slang," some of the obscenities in TV's "Deadwood" almost certainly were in use in 1876, when the mining camp sprang up. The venerable F-word first appeared in print as a verb around 1500 and as a noun about 1680.But the linguists find no printed evidence of its use as an adjective - its most frequent use in Milch's series - before 1890. Many of the epithets used in the show didn't even appear in print until the early to mid-20th century.That, of course, doesn't mean people weren't saying those words years earlier.In our own time, half a century of Western movies and TV shows peopled with clean-talking heroes and villains have shaped our image of the frontier. Hollywood cowboys rarely venture beyond "Tarnation!" and "Dadgummit!"In the "B" Westerns, sidekicks Gabby Hayes and Smiley Burnett utter such phrases. Heroes Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and the Durango Kid are never so ruffled that they're tempted to swear.In more sophisticated Westerns - the kind starring Cooper or Wayne or Stewart - only secondary characters typically deliver mild versions of expletives. The swearers usually are beset pilgrims or aggrieved sodbuster.And in Western novels, nary a blue word flows from the overactive pens of Zane Grey or Max Brand or Louis L'Amour. Verbal restraint has faded in today's revisionist Westerns, such as Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" and "Pale Rider." But none has the overwhelming volume of "Deadwood.""Victorian literary and propriety standards, followed by American movie and TV broadcast standards, have conditioned us to 19th-century folks with not much more than a 'damn' on their lips," said Rex Myers, who teaches history at Lawrence University in Wisconsin.That doesn't mean real Victorian Americans didn't talk dirty, especially in such cultural cesspools as Deadwood, according to Myers."I've identified about 40 words for 'prostitute' out of the 19th century," he said. "None of them has the F-word as a part, but that's how they earned their living, and I suspect they talked about it."

Everytime the screen goes black at the end of the episodes, I find myself saying, ####, I don't want it to end. I'm enjoying this show. Most of the enjoyment is from the fact that it is a western, but also it is a change from everything else on tv.... waiting for next Sunday ........

Everytime the screen goes black at the end of the episodes, I find myself saying, ####, I don't want it to end. I'm enjoying this show. Most of the enjoyment is from the fact that it is a western, but also it is a change from everything else on tv.... waiting for next Sunday ........
Word... :thumbup: Sweet show last night. Lots of stuff happening. Next week should be good!

Anybody got any theories as to why Sweringer didn't kill the hotel guy (from Bob Newhart show)? The guy flat out admitted he was the go-between for the new saloon, so why the reprieve? Al's gotta have a bigger picture in mind, right?

Anybody got any theories as to why Sweringer didn't kill the hotel guy (from Bob Newhart show)? The guy flat out admitted he was the go-between for the new saloon, so why the reprieve? Al's gotta have a bigger picture in mind, right?
Seemed to make sense. The guy is the only connection he has. Plus, he has just about killed off all of his henchmen in three shows.

Seemed to make sense. The guy is the only connection he has. Plus, he has just about killed off all of his henchmen in three shows.
Well, he did give that one crackhead a ball of dope (opium) to spy on the other saloon. Of course, he doesn't know that the other saloon already knows about this. It just seemed out of character for him to let him live, unless he's going to do it to make it look like an accident or something.

Well, he did give that one crackhead a ball of dope (opium) to spy on the other saloon. Of course, he doesn't know that the other saloon already knows about this. It just seemed out of character for him to let him live, unless he's going to do it to make it look like an accident or something.
THe hotel guy still has value. The guys he wacked were only liabilities.

THe hotel guy still has value. The guys he wacked were only liabilities.
Fredo still had value to Michael. Doesn't mean you let someone live after you KNOW they betrayed you. Well, at least not if you're a bad guy.

He let him live because he confessed. Swerenger is all about leverage. He knows he has total domination over him. He knows that now he owns the hotel guy and at the moment he's more useful as a double agent than dead.

Is it me or is the actor that plays Bullock totally playing him like an Eastwood character? Very stiff, the guys walks like he has a load in his pants, no arm movement what so ever(a la Molly Shannon in the Seinfeld walking without arms moving eposide). I love Eastwood but someone else trying to act like him comes off as odd to me. I like the show so far, solid story and colorful characters. The language was a little off putting at first, due to the fact that I'm not used to seeing it in most westerns, but it's growing on me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DEADWOOD: (total episodes aired so far: 3)

11) Brom Garret (brains beaten in by Swearengen's henchman Dan Dority

Updated for Episode Three. (Was Brom Garret the only character killed last night?)

I agree on the reasoning for letting Larry live. He has complete leverage, plus it is a line into the other saloon. It won't last.I still see trixie playing a larger role in the future. Would someone please kill off Jane?!?!?! I know its coming, but let's get moving already. :angry:

Anyone else picking up on the Biblical/religious overtones to this show?

The protagonist Seth Bullock is our Everyman. Of course, Cain's and Abel's younger brother was named Seth, a man in the shadow of Original Sin left to choose between Good and Evil after his famous brothers defined the concepts.

His right hand man is Sol Star, a consistent examplar of Good. He's Seth's Jiminy Cricket, leading him on the path to righteousness. (The preacher fills some of this role as well, but more as a chorus in the Greek tragedic sense, delivering the message in verse and scripture as background to the action.)

Al Swearengen is as close to Satan as we need on the show. He provides all the temptations of Evil (liquor, sex, dope, riches) along with all the costs (fear, debasement, death). did you see the way his serpentine tongue flicked last night as he weighed sparing the life of the treacherous innkeeper Farnum? And Trixie describes him as looking "like Christ Himself on the Cross", an allusion to his majestic power and cult of personality...but in Christ's darkest hour. (Fallen Angel?)

Wild Bill? Haven't figured out his place in the religious context yet. It may be harder to place the "real life" characters into the contrivance of a story arc's allegorical significance. And future episodes may advance other theories.

Will Trixie become a Mary Magdelene, finding salvation in a lifting from sin? Will the Widow Garret become a pillar of Deadwood's sinful society, like Lot's wife became a pillar of salt on the outskirts of Gommorah? Stay tuned, Bible scholars...

:westofeden:

Yes, he and Keith Carradine (Hickok) are about the only people I've ever heard of before. But the aforemention Powers Boothe will be on a future episode. Looking at IMDB, the doc was the voice of Chucky.
Hey, don't forget Geri Jewell. She's the lady with Cerebral Palsy that was on Facts of Life (remember Blair's cousin Geri, the one with the horrible jokes?) . I recognized her right away, I guess because there aren't too many people that play that role...

Anyone else picking up on the Biblical/religious overtones to this show?
Wow - that's the best analysis of any TV show I've seen on this board. As to Wild Bill, maybe King David (warrior king) or Moses (taking them close to the Promised Land but not making it there himself?). But my best guess would be John the Baptist. John came before Jesus to spread the true word. Bill is the precursor to the eventual emergence of Seth as the top gun. Both Bill and John die before the emergence of their successor but not before they meet and mentor their successor. Both had sin behind their deaths - Bill was gambling when killed and John was killed because of the lust the king had for Salome. Both their successors succeed where they failed.Even their differences draw interesting parallels. Bill was a calm, well spoken fancy dresser while John was a crazy, screaming man in rags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cut the cheese? :rotflmao:
I was just in a closed conference room, and someone let one slip SBD.I wanted to quote the show, but there where too many women in the room. The guys would have loved it. :angry:

DEADWOOD: (total episodes aired so far: 4)

11) Brom Garret (brains beaten in by Swearengen's henchman Dan Dority

12) Wild Bill Hickok (shot in the back by Jack McCall)

13) Unnamed Native American (decapitated by unnamed bounty hunter)

Updated through Episode Four.And no one died tonight on The Sopranos, so Deadwood continues to pull away in the body count department.

:aces&eights:

Updated through Episode Four.And no one died tonight on The Sopranos, so Deadwood continues to pull away in the body count department.:aces&eights:
I anticipate Bill getting shot at all. I had heard of Aces & Eights as being Dead Man's Hand, but I didn't know that Hickok was the person that died holding it. I'm glad I didn't know, otherwise I would have been waiting for him to get killed.I figured Hickok would be a major star of the show, so I was shocked to see him get killed off.

Swearingen is played by Ian McShane... he's an English actor famous for his role as an Antique dealer called Lovejoy in the BBC series of the same name...He was also in Sexy Beast, and popped up in a Babylon 5 episode (or one of the 'films' they made - River of Souls?)Anyhoo... good to see him performing against type... can't wait for Deadwood to come on over here... we're so far behind, our idea of a new sho is Tru Calling (starting tomorrow night)...

Sad to see Hikcock go last night. How far away is Jane from getting it? This shoe continues to stick its hooks deeper into me. I find myself pissed off when it ends now.

I think Jane lives to be quite old (in 1800 terms) but I am not sure if she stays in Deadwood. I know that she had a thing for ol' Bill so she is pretty crushed by his death even though I don't believe he ever reciprocated on these feelings.

I think Jane lives to be quite old (in 1800 terms) but I am not sure if she stays in Deadwood. I know that she had a thing for ol' Bill so she is pretty crushed by his death even though I don't believe he ever reciprocated on these feelings.
historically, she goes away for a while. Comes back later in life. One of the links provided on the first page of this thread gives the lowdown on that story.on a side note, the way they left wild bill's shooting, it almost seems like he might be alive, or not have died right away. I never knew the dead man's hand thing, so that was lost on me.Anyone know if, historically, he sticks around for a little while before dying, or is he pushing daisies already? They showed the burial scene in the previews for next week, so we know it is as least going to happen then.

I [didn't] anticipate Bill getting shot at all. I had heard of Aces & Eights as being Dead Man's Hand, but I didn't know that Hickok was the person that died holding it. I'm glad I didn't know, otherwise I would have been waiting for him to get killed.

I figured Hickok would be a major star of the show, so I was shocked to see him get killed off.
As soon as Wild Bill approached the poker table and hesitated before taking the chair with its back to the door, I knew he was a goner. Hickok made a habit of sitting in the chair facing the door while playing poker in order to avoid getting shot in the back.I'm surprised they chose not to show his final poker hand of Aces & Eights. It's a piece of folklore that many would recognize and others would learn.

The show will miss Carradine's portrayal of Wild Bill.

I watched last night, and enjoyed it but must admit I was a little lost. If anyone could give a brief synopsis, I'd appreciate it.Is the character with the red hair and mustache the principal from Ferris Buellers Day Off? If so, I thought he ran into some legal trouble ala Peewee Herman.TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread