What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democrats' House Agenda (2 Viewers)

Nancy Pelosi bull-rushed the ACA into law.  All Democrats opposed to her as Speaker need to contemplate their own cognitive dissonance. She's a powerful woman, and therein lies the rub, whether or not you acknowledge it. ... Sorry, I've been on the Twitters a lot today.

Paraphrasing David Axelrod on last week's Stay Tuned with Preet podcast, Axelrod asked Pelosi (on his podcast) what political lessons she learned from her father, former mayor of Baltimore; her response: I learned how to count.

Moot out!
This sounds like a HRC rant.   Powerful woman how screwed the people.  ACA is Romneycare at heart and well it helps many people it helped healthcare sector profits more.  She is not for the people.

You can tell me why Lee was not a better choice, but you decided to focus on location, what do you want from me?

You can tell me why Lee was not a better choice, but you decided to focus on location, what do you want from me?
You didn’t tell me why Lee was a better choice. I explained in rather specific detail what I thought made Abrams a good speaker and you gave a name. That’s me not explaining myself?

She’s been doing what Pelosi and the Democrats have been trying to do for the past two years at the State level in Mississippi for years as minority leader in the Georgia House.  Georgia.  As a Democrat.  And doing it successfully. She essentially single handedly stopped the most regressive tax increase in Georgia history.

She was a tax lawyer for nonprofits with an accounting background.  She personally did an accounting analysis, found that the overwhelming majority of Georgia would have increased taxes, and put a copy on the desk of every legislator in the Georgia House. 

She was writing speeches for a congressional campaign at age seventeen. 

She doesn’t need this, but the Democrats need her. 
@IC FBGCav

Who do ALL Republicans and tons if Independents hate? Nancy Pelosi.
That is exactly why she is the best person for this thankless job the next two years.   It is not like this is a period where much significant legislation is going to be pushed through.  No one is going to look good in this job so might just as well use the already hated person with the specific skillset/mindset that this job requires while grooming someone "clean" for when it might matter.  

That is exactly why she is the best person for this thankless job the next two years.   It is not like this is a period where much significant legislation is going to be pushed through.  No one is going to look good in this job so might just as well use the already hated person with the specific skillset/mindset that this job requires while grooming someone "clean" for when it might matter.  
Plus Trump endorses her, all in!

Do the Dems Need Nancy Pelosi?

To me, the strongest argument in favor of Pelosi is this: She's not the greatest politician, but she is incredibly effective at the behind the scenes stuff: fundraising, arm-twisting, shepherding legislation to passage. Having just completed a campaign where Dems overcame her weakness, it seems suicidal to kick her to the curb at the exact moment her strengths are needed. I agree with Marshall that this is the optimal solution:
Pelosi is going to win by a large margin. But the Democrats need to try to avoid a “Freedom Caucus” type movement- meaning a group of hardline progressives forming within the Congress and creating their own power base to challenge the Speaker. I could easily see that happening, and someone like Ocasio-Cortez seems like a natural leader for something like that. 

It is not like this is a period where much significant legislation is going to be pushed through. 
I was kind of hoping for a big infrastructure deal. 

But apparently  Larry Kudlow wrote an editorial few days ago warning that there wasn’t enough money to do this; the deficit was already too high. Gee Larry I wonder why that is. So frustrating. 

Pelosi is going to win by a large margin. But the Democrats need to try to avoid a “Freedom Caucus” type movement- meaning a group of hardline progressives forming within the Congress and creating their own power base to challenge the Speaker. I could easily see that happening, and someone like Ocasio-Cortez seems like a natural leader for something like that. 
Wanna bet?

I was kind of hoping for a big infrastructure deal. 

But apparently  Larry Kudlow wrote an editorial few days ago warning that there wasn’t enough money to do this; the deficit was already too high. Gee Larry I wonder why that is. So frustrating. 
From memory as this is after all the same argument that was being made during the Reagan '80s, during the '92 campaign, during the 2009 stimulus debate - taking a dollar out of the economy to spend on infrastructure returns a dollar and seventy cents to the economy.  So this is only true because we can only take that dollar via debt we won't payback sucking out an ever increasing number of nickels and dimes every year forever.   

Pelosi has done a lot of good work.  She’s also been speaker before. 

New leadership is reasonable after this many years.  I still say Stacey Abrams. 
Forgive me, I don't understand. Are you saying that Abrams - who is not a congressperson - should be speaker? Or the head of the DNC?

That's never happened, right? That a non-congressperson is speaker? But there's nothing that says it couldn't happen?
Reminds me of the whole "You don't need to be a lawyer to be on the Supreme Court" thing. Yeah, in theory, but in fact the job has become complex enough that you really do.

There's a lot to like about Abrams. But she has never spent a day in Congress. This is not a figurehead job. In fact, it's the exact opposite of a figurehead job.

It's to Pelosi's discredit that she hasn't groomed the next generation of leaders. But that's where we are right now.

It's to Pelosi's discredit that she hasn't groomed the next generation of leaders. 
I have no idea whether this is true or not, but my guess is that it is not true, that she has groomed people, and that they are likely dismissed as her cronies by other Democrats. 

Typically, new political leaders don’t emerge from grooming; they emerge as a rebellion against previous leaders. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea whether this is true or not, but my guess is that it is not true, that she has groomed people, and that they are likely dismissed as her cronies by other Democrats. 

Typically, new political leaders don’t emerge from grooming; they emerge as a rebellion against previous leaders. 
The rest of her leadership team consists of Hoyer, Clyburn and someone else I'm forgetting right now. They're all in their late 70s. Crowley was up there before he got primaried by Ocasio-Cortez, but he wasn't exactly a young dude. 

Compare to GOP when they lost power in 09: they significantly raised the profiles of Ryan, Cantor and McCarthy, all of whom have gone on to become Speaker/party leader. Pelosi never did that.

Reminds me of the whole "You don't need to be a lawyer to be on the Supreme Court" thing. Yeah, in theory, but in fact the job has become complex enough that you really do.

There's a lot to like about Abrams. But she has never spent a day in Congress. This is not a figurehead job. In fact, it's the exact opposite of a figurehead job.

It's to Pelosi's discredit that she hasn't groomed the next generation of leaders. But that's where we are right now.
It is also to Pelosi's (and the Democratic Party's) discredit that they have elevated zero leaders from the South.  If they want the South to vote for them again, they're going to have to start doing that.  

I will concede this to you and do more real research into her, that takes a little time.
Wait a second, you're railing against her without having done research into why you should hate her? One of your biggest initial arguments against her was incorrect? You just hated her because...?

Kudos to you for being willing to do your research and admit you were wrong, but this isn't a good look for someone who was so strongly opposed to her. 

Wait a second, you're railing against her without having done research into why you should hate her? One of your biggest initial arguments against her was incorrect? You just hated her because...?

Kudos to you for being willing to do your research and admit you were wrong, but this isn't a good look for someone who was so strongly opposed to her. 
One question, did I say hate?

OK, fair enough. I read into it but you never said hate. Dislike, then. You've made it clear there's a strong distaste for her. 
You are projecting on to me your thoughts.  I just said I would like someone else as speaker.  

I don't recall anything said against her beyond her not being my choice.  Hence I need to do more research.  Usually when someone needs to do more research, they can't say much bad because they are sort of ignorant to her whole record.

Where did I mess up and shoot her down personally?  Not my intention.

You are projecting on to me your thoughts.  I just said I would like someone else as speaker.  

I don't recall anything said against her beyond her not being my choice.  Hence I need to do more research.  Usually when someone needs to do more research, they can't say much bad because they are sort of ignorant to her whole record.

Where did I mess up and shoot her down personally?  Not my intention.
You're right, my apologies. All this said, I'm not sure how I feel about making her speaker if she isn't actually a member of Congress. I know it isn't required, but I'm not sold on the idea either. 

I like Cortez's energy on climate change action, but she might need to dial it back a little.  Anything that happens (unfortunately), is going to happen slowly.

joffer said:
I like Cortez's energy on climate change action, but she might need to dial it back a little.  Anything that happens (unfortunately), is going to happen slowly.
Disagree. It's not her job to rein herself in. She should be out there pushing the caucus to the left and moving the Overton Window. She won't win every fight (nor would I want her to), but I'm sick of Democrats negotiating with themselves in order to appear more "reasonable" while Republicans set the terms of our debates. Let the leadership be the ones to eventually compromise on a deal that's far better than what they would have gotten if AOC hadn't been out there holding their feet to the fire.

Disagree. It's not her job to rein herself in. She should be out there pushing the caucus to the left and moving the Overton Window. She won't win every fight (nor would I want her to), but I'm sick of Democrats negotiating with themselves in order to appear more "reasonable" while Republicans set the terms of our debates. Let the leadership be the ones to eventually compromise on a deal that's far better than what they would have gotten if AOC hadn't been out there holding their feet to the fire.
I can see that side of it, but I just don’t agree at this point. Be a reasonable advocate.

Users who are viewing this thread