What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Den scoring in the last minute of the PHI game (1 Viewer)

nflguru

Footballguy
Didn't see the game (watched it on NFL.com if you can call that watching it), saw that DEN ran the ball in with under a minute to play?Looked like they were well ahead and could have taken the knee. Saw a thread in here last week taking about Oakland doing this last week... Anybody catch the game and feel this is true?

Didn't see the game (watched it on NFL.com if you can call that watching it), saw that DEN ran the ball in with under a minute to play?

Looked like they were well ahead and could have taken the knee. Saw a thread in here last week taking about Oakland doing this last week... Anybody catch the game and feel this is true?
It's not true.Another thread with some pretty good points on this got deleted.

Main points:

--Philly had 2 timeouts, so taking a knee would've been futile. 99% of teams just run the ball.

--The 4th and 2 play, same thing. You don't kick a FG, that's still running it up. You run the ball up the middle. That's what they did.

Broncos fan, but definitely not running it up.They were trying to run out the clock but ran out of yards to do it with.

I don't think they could've taken a knee, it was 4th down... not their fault the eagles let bell run right through them.they were trying to kill off the game by getting a first down. it's not like they were passing the ball.

Thanks, was not aware of the Time out situation - just clicking around between games and saw the td with less than a minute left...

Broncos fan, but definitely not running it up.

They were trying to run out the clock but ran out of yards to do it with.
:lmao: "ran out of yards to do it with" -- hilarious...

This was absolute bush league by Shanahan. They were unquestionably running it up, they easily could have kneeled on the ball.

Eagles' fan here. How about if the defense could actually just stop the run? I wasn't really that concerned about it. Shanahan is notorious for doing this.

Are we referring to the 67-yd romp by Tatum Bell?
No.The four yard TD run with less than a minute to go.

Some people seem to think teams like to kneel on 4th and 2.
It's called having some class. When you're up 42-21 with less than a minute to go in the game, and you punch in another TD rather than kneeling on the ball, you're showing up your opponent, plain and simple. This isn't college football, you aren't trying to influence voters or the BCS computer - all that matters is wins and losses. When you do what the Broncos did, you're sticking it to your opponent. Shanahan should be ashamed of himself - does he have something against Andy Reid?

They were up 21 points with 30 seconds left in the game. It was a classless move by Shanahan. Do you honestly think if they turned the ball over on downs to philly the eagles would have done anything other than take a knee and scurry back to the locker room as soon as possible.

It's called having some class. When you're up 42-21 with less than a minute to go in the game, and you punch in another TD rather than kneeling on the ball, you're showing up your opponent, plain and simple. This isn't college football, you aren't trying to influence voters or the BCS computer - all that matters is wins and losses. When you do what the Broncos did, you're sticking it to your opponent. Shanahan should be ashamed of himself - does he have something against Andy Reid?
Every team I've ever seen just runs the ball up the middle in that situation.I don't think Denver expected him to score...I think everyone knew what play was coming...because every team does it.

Shanahan is notorious for doing this.
Precisely. Primary reason why I don't like the guy and am thrilled he doesn't coach my team (save the "at least he can win a big game" crap - he never won **** without Elway.)

Every team I've ever seen just runs the ball up the middle in that situation.I don't think Denver expected him to score...I think everyone knew what play was coming...because every team does it.
You're absolutely wrong. The Steelers would have kneeled on the ball - I guarantee it.Edit to add : I am sure there are other teams that also would have, I just cited the Steelers because I am obviously a Steelers homer and know what they would do in such an instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1) I would run up the score against Philly too!!#2) Isn't one of the tie breakers points for?

So on 4th down they should have kneeled down? Normally you kick a fg, but only wanting a 1st to run the clock they go for it. Philly should have stepped up. You knew where it was going. To kneel and end the game is one thing, but to kneel knowing the other team is going to still take some shots is another. It called ball control. If it's was a blatant run up of the score you would have seen a pass.

#1) I would run up the score against Philly too!!

#2) Isn't one of the tie breakers points for?
1) As long as it is acknowledged that Skeletor was running it up, that's fine. As I said, if you have no problem with it, so be it.2) Net points is the 9th tiebreaker. It would never get to that.

So on 4th down they should have kneeled down? Normally you kick a fg, but only wanting a 1st to run the clock they go for it. Philly should have stepped up. You knew where it was going. To kneel and end the game is one thing, but to kneel knowing the other team is going to still take some shots is another. It called ball control. If it was a blatant run up of the score you would have seen a pass.
Yes, on 4th down, they should have kneeled down and given Philly the ball back. They're not going to score 3 TDs in 26 seconds, and almost definitely wouldn't even try. Whether he ran or passed, they were running up the score and there's really no doubt about it.

Why kneel on 4th and 2 when the Eagles' offense would have to come back on the field. That would just prolong the game even more. I'm sure the Broncos didn't think they would score. The Eagles knew the Broncos were going to run it up the middle and they still couldn't stop them. That was the sad part.

So on 4th down they should have kneeled down?  Normally you kick a fg, but only wanting a 1st to run the clock they go for it.  Philly should have stepped up.  You knew where it was going.  To kneel and end the game is one thing, but to kneel knowing the other team is going to still take some shots is another.  It called ball control.  If it was a blatant run up of the score you would have seen a pass.
Yes, on 4th down, they should have kneeled down and given Philly the ball back. They're not going to score 3 TDs in 26 seconds, and almost definitely wouldn't even try. Whether he ran or passed, they were running up the score and there's really no doubt about it.
Have you ever seen a team kneel on 4th down? :hophead:

So on 4th down they should have kneeled down?  Normally you kick a fg, but only wanting a 1st to run the clock they go for it.  Philly should have stepped up.  You knew where it was going.  To kneel and end the game is one thing, but to kneel knowing the other team is going to still take some shots is another.  It called ball control.  If it was a blatant run up of the score you would have seen a pass.
Yes. :hophead:

Why kneel on 4th and 2 when the Eagles' offense would have to come back on the field. That would just prolong the game even more. I'm sure the Broncos didn't think they would score. The Eagles knew the Broncos were going to run it up the middle and they still couldn't stop them. That was the sad part.
It's called showing some class by not embarrassing your opponent. Shanahan does not possess this quality.

It's only running up the score when the Raiders do it, apparently.
Yeah, I guess so.There's really no two ways about what happened - they ran up the score. The only real issue here is whether or not you have a problem with embarrassing your opponent. Personally, I think it's a gesture of good sportsmanship and respect for a coach not to want to humiliate another coach/team when the game is already decided, but I guess Shanny doesn't share that view. That's cool too - I just really don't respect the guy at all.

I watched the game, and they weren't running up the score. Bell hit his 100 yard mark on that last drive when they were running out the clock. They were in no hurry to get the plays off, they just kept running it up the gut while the play clock ticked down. Bell got in the endzone on that last carry, he could have been stopped but Philly let him run right by.

What goes round comes around. Now if we can get a Broncos/Eagles Superbowl this would be interesting. Of course for this to happen Skeletor will have to figure out how to not be a speed bump for Indy, and the Eagles will have to get it going again.

I watched the game, and they weren't running up the score. Bell hit his 100 yard mark on that last drive when they were running out the clock. They were in no hurry to get the plays off, they just kept running it up the gut while the play clock ticked down. Bell got in the endzone on that last carry, he could have been stopped but Philly let him run right by.
I watched the game too, and they were running up the score. If you're not trying to score again, why not take a knee? Why risk injury to your players by running plays with less than a minute on the clock? Did they think Reid was starting airing it out down 3 TDs with :25 on the clock? Come on.

Would you mind saying when because I have never and I can't even imagine any coach taking a knee in that situation.

It's only running up the score when the Raiders do it, apparently.
Yeah, I guess so.There's really no two ways about what happened - they ran up the score. The only real issue here is whether or not you have a problem with embarrassing your opponent. Personally, I think it's a gesture of good sportsmanship and respect for a coach not to want to humiliate another coach/team when the game is already decided, but I guess Shanny doesn't share that view. That's cool too - I just really don't respect the guy at all.
He is an evil little rat ******* quick to take credit and quicker still to dispense blame.

Who really cares? One week everyone is #####ing that he screws fantasy owners and the next he gets critized for running on 4 down and scoring. It doesn't matter what he does someone is always complaining. I would agree with you if they would have passed it in, but it was the sorry Philly D that couldn't stop the obvious. That is who should receive the blame here.

Would you mind saying when because I have never and I can't even imagine any coach taking a knee in that situation.
I can. It's called avoiding unnecessary injury risk. Imagine if Bell took an ACL injury on that play.I see Evil beat me to the punch.

It's called showing some class by not embarrassing your opponent. Shanahan does not possess this quality.
Are you wearing a red or blue dress today? :confused: It's football, not an uppity tea party. Class?

What about TO touchdown dances? Apples and oranges I'm sure, but come on now.

Here you go... from NFL.com - Steelers vs. those same Philadelphia Eagles from last season. Here's the play-by-play from the 4th quarter, with the Steelers up 27-3.1-7-PHI7 (2:48) B.Roethlisberger kneels to PHI 8 for -1 yards.

2-8-PHI8 (2:00) B.Roethlisberger kneels to PHI 10 for -2 yards.

3-10-PHI10 (1:19) B.Roethlisberger kneels to PHI 12 for -2 yards.

4-12-PHI12 (1:19) B.Roethlisberger kneels to PHI 13 for -1 yards.

Philadelphia Eagles at 00:35

1-10-PHI13 :-)35) PENALTY on PIT-T.Kirschke, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at PHI 13 - No Play.

1-5-PHI18 :-)30) R.Mahe right end to PHI 20 for 2 yards (T.Kirschke).

That's what's called NOT humiliating your opponent, rather than piling it on like Skeletor does. Notice Reid recognized this and didn't start throwing the ball around trying to score 3 times in less than a minute.

Why kneel? It gives the ball BACK, stops the clock, and you have to go play D.That's moronic.

Against NE with Den ahead by 8:

Code:
2-9-NE49	(1:17) J.Plummer kneels to DEN 49 for -2 yards.3-11-DEN49	(:34) J.Plummer kneels to DEN 48 for -1 yards.
Against Was with Den ahead by 2:
Code:
1-10-WAS44	(1:09) J.Plummer kneels to WAS 45 for -1 yards.2-11-WAS45	(1:05) J.Plummer kneels to WAS 46 for -1 yards.3-12-WAS46	(:23) J.Plummer kneels to WAS 47 for -1 yards.
Against Jax with Den ahead 13:
Code:
1-10-JAC29	(:18) J.Plummer kneels to JAX 31 for -2 yards.
Against KC with Den ahead 20:
Code:
1-10-KC29	(:24) J.Plummer kneels to KC 31 for -2 yards.

Are you wearing a red or blue dress today? :confused: It's football, not an uppity tea party. Class?

What about TO touchdown dances? Apples and oranges I'm sure, but come on now.
Did you ever play football?I get you... humiliating your opponent by running up the score = manly. Acknowledging that the team across the field from you played hard and came up short and not wanting to rub their noses in it = gay.

Nice.

2-9-NE49 (1:17) J.Plummer kneels to DEN 49 for -2 yards.3-11-DEN49 :-)34) J.Plummer kneels to DEN 48 for -1 yards.Against Was with Den ahead by 2:
Code:
1-10-WAS44	(1:09) J.Plummer kneels to WAS 45 for -1 yards.2-11-WAS45	(1:05) J.Plummer kneels to WAS 46 for -1 yards.3-12-WAS46	(:23) J.Plummer kneels to WAS 47 for -1 yards.
Code:
Code:
Yeah? And?So he kneels to stop the clock when he can run it all the way out, everyone does this. What would have shown class was to kneel even though the Eagles were going to get the ball back with 30 seconds left so as not to run up the score.

Code:
2-9-NE49	(1:17) J.Plummer kneels to DEN 49 for -2 yards.3-11-DEN49	(:34) J.Plummer kneels to DEN 48 for -1 yards.
Against Was with Den ahead by 2:
Code:
Code:
Code:
These are all when Denver can run the clock out so they are completely unrelevant to this discussion.

Why kneel? It gives the ball BACK, stops the clock, and you have to go play D.That's moronic.
Really? Not risking injury to your offensive players and not running up the score when the game is already in hand is moronic?

Here you go... from NFL.com - Steelers vs. those same Philadelphia Eagles from last season. Here's the play-by-play from the 4th quarter, with the Steelers up 27-3.1-7-PHI7 (2:48) B.Roethlisberger kneels to PHI 8 for -1 yards.

1-10-PHI13 :-)35) PENALTY on PIT-T.Kirschke, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at PHI 13 - No Play.

That's what's called NOT humiliating your opponent, rather than piling it on like Skeletor does. Notice Reid recognized this and didn't start throwing the ball around trying to score 3 times in less than a minute.
Well that is a good example but I still don't think Shanahan did anything wrong by running the ball. He wasn't passing and he was letting the play clock run all the way down so I find it hard to accuse him of running the score up.

This is all pretty humorous IMO. Here is what I take from this thread. Denver controlled the clock they way they wanted to, Philly couldn't keep Denver out of the endzone again, and the people who started Philly's DEF yesterday aren't happy. Game over, Denver wins.

Really? Not risking injury to your offensive players and not running up the score when the game is already in hand is moronic?
What's the difference. If the Eagles get the ball back you're risking injury to your defensive players. The Eagles are the one's that should have sacked up and stopped a the Broncos from scoring at the end of the game.

This is all pretty humorous IMO. Here is what I take from this thread. Denver controlled the clock they way they wanted to, Philly couldn't keep Denver out of the endzone again, and the people who started Philly's DEF yesterday aren't happy. Game over, Denver wins.
Or those playing against the legend that is Tatum Bell.

I'm a Philly fan and I didn't see anything wrong with what the Broncos did. The object of the game is to score. Denver did it in a fashion to run off as much clock as possible. If they would have kicked the field goal I would be more upset.

Here you go... from NFL.com - Steelers vs. those same Philadelphia Eagles from last season. Here's the play-by-play from the 4th quarter, with the Steelers up 27-3.

1-7-PHI7 (2:48) B.Roethlisberger kneels to PHI 8 for -1 yards.

How many timeouts did Philly have? Because if it was zero, then your example has no relevance.BTW, I don't understand why you're crying about this. Denver was just running out the clock, and the Philly D can't even stop a run up the middle when it knows it's coming.

Honestly, Evil, I just don't see it.

Do you think the Eagles actually feel more humiliated by the 49-21 score than they would if it were 42-21 with the Broncos kneeling the ball down on 4th down? I mean ... geez ... these are grown men. That last touchdown didn't all of a sudden turn the switch from "honorable loss" to "humiliation".

And honestly, if I'm a competitor, I wouldn't feel better that the opponent pitied me as they were trying to run the clock out.

I see that Cowher kneeled 4 straight times against Philly last year. But I don't know if it makes a difference either way.

Much ado about nothing.

(And nothing's more irritating than people trying to sound insightful by saying that Shanahan's won nothing without Elway. Elway had an 0-2 playoff record in 5 seasons without Shanahan as his coach in some capacity.)

Here you go... from NFL.com - Steelers vs. those same Philadelphia Eagles from last season.  Here's the play-by-play from the 4th quarter, with the Steelers up 27-3.

1-7-PHI7 (2:48) B.Roethlisberger kneels to PHI 8 for -1 yards.

That's what's called NOT humiliating your opponent, rather than piling it on like Skeletor does.  Notice Reid recognized this and didn't start throwing the ball around trying to score 3 times in less than a minute.
How many timeouts did Philly have? Because if it was zero, then your example has no relevance.BTW, I don't understand why you're crying about this. Denver was just running out the clock, and the Philly D can't even stop a run up the middle when it knows it's coming.
You'll notice that Philly used a timeout to stop the clock after the third down play, whether or not they had another, I don't recall. The example has perfect relevance - it was virtually the exact same situation. The Steelers easily could have kept pounding it up the middle with Bettis and probably made the game 34-3, but they chose not to do that.No one is crying about anything - I just happen to think that Shanahan is a classless worm. Some agree with me, some don't. I don't really care, he's not coaching my team, but the question was asked - I had a take on it, and I answered it. I think Shanahan is bush league - the fact that most defensive lineman in the league complain about the Broncos OL taking cheap shots at their knees further reinforces that feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread