What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denny Green - Head Coach (1 Viewer)

BlueOnion

Footballguy
The following comments are from the Cutler thread, which pertain more to a Denny Green Thread of it's own.

If Denny Green is going to draft a quarterback, it will have to be one special quarterback.  Denny Green is pretty arrogant about his offensive system and believes it is so quarterback friendly he can almost plug in anybody to 'drive the car' as he likes to say.

Denny Green is usually more interested in playmakers with speed and physically talented defensive linemen when it comes to first round draft picks.
Luckily for the Cardinals 2006 should be his last year here.
Denny Green has his detractors, but I think he is one of the top 8 coaches in the NFL. (Will start compiling my list in case I am called on it).
Hey Blue,I would've agreed with you handiliy until this past year. I think coaches are only as good as they're motivation and it seems, for whatever reason, Denny isn't showing the focus and motivation he showed in Minnesota. I get the sense he's playing out the string in 'Zona...much like Schottenheimer played out the string in D.C. Ultimately Schotty felt driven after the Skins debacle to re-prove his ability, and maybe Denny's NEXT team will be where he re-asserts himself as a solid NFL head coach.
And here were the coaches I viewed as clearly a notch ahead of Denny Green.Belichick

Gibbs

Parcells

Gruden

John Fox

Bill Cowher

*** Some mentioned Reid should be on the list as well, but I think Reid and Green are on the same tier. What Reid has over Denny is organizational skills where as I think Denny is a better offensive mind and better motivator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Denny Green would actually be much better suited as a G.M., or personnel guy than he is as a Head Coach.

The guy has had some very successful drafts here in Arizona, however, he seems to struggle in the actual X's and O's aspect of the game.

His playcalling is questionable at best, his clock management is terrible, and he doesn't seem to adjust well to what other teams are doing offensively or defensively.

Here is the perfect example of a game in which he cost the Cardinals an opportunity to win:

The Cardinals completed a pass down inside the St. Louis Rams' 10 yard line with about 30 seconds remaining on the clock. They immediately ran another play that resulted in Kurt Warner being sacked, and had about 15 seconds on the clock to run one more play.

Instead of calling a timeout and making sure that he had the right personnel and play coming in, he had the Cardinals hurry up to the line of scrimmage and try to get a play off with Warner audibilizing at the line. To make a long story short, the Cardinals snapped the ball with about 10 seconds remaining on the clock, however,one of the Cardinals offensive lineman ended up jumping offsides and the Cardinals never had a chance to run a play, due to the 10 second run-off rule.

Terrible coaching

Green is notoriously poor with clock management at the end of the game; it was one aspect of Green that was often critized and at times undefendable.But as far as Xs and Os, I would be hard pressed to find anybody more talented than Green on the offensive side of the ball. Currently, I put Jon Gruden, Mike Martz ( :X ) and Denny Green at the top for creative minds.Edited - I also agree he very well may be more suited to a front office position. His downfall in Minnesota was his dabbling with issues above his coaching position.

Denny Green would actually be much better suited as a G.M., or personnel guy than he is as a Head Coach.

The guy has had some very successful drafts here in Arizona, however, he seems to struggle in the actual X's and O's aspect of the game.

His playcalling is questionable at best, his clock management is terrible, and he doesn't seem to adjust well to what other teams are doing offensively or defensively.

Here is the perfect example of a game in which he cost the Cardinals an opportunity to win:

The Cardinals completed a pass down inside the St. Louis Rams' 10 yard line with about 30 seconds (and counting) remaining on the clock, the Cardinals still had one timeout remaining as well. The Cardinals needed a TD to win, a FG would have done no good.

Instead of calling a timeout and making sure that he had the right personnel and play coming in, he had the Cardinals hurry up to the line of scrimmage and try to get a play off with Warner audibilizing at the line. To make a long story short, the Cardinals snapped the ball with about 10 seconds remaining on the clock, however,one of the Cardinals offensive lineman ended up jumping offsides and the Cardinals never had a chance to run a play, due to the 10 second run-off rule.

Terrible coaching
This is exactly what I used to hear from all the Viking fans here in Minnesota.

no doubt - denny's a strong motivator and has an eye for talenthowever, denny needs a strong offensive coordinator in place to fill in the x's and o's while he takes care of the rest (like he had in minnesota). how is his offensive coordinator? maybe that's where some of this blame should fall

Nobody can win in AZ. That is just the plain truth. If you compare Dennys record at MN versus every other coach in the NFL for those years, you will see he had a better record than almost all of them. he also had the longest tenure of any coach when he left.

( He and Cowher were a few days apart on their hiring, Cowher maybe longer)

The Bidwells will not aloow a coach to win here. I just find it hard to believe that Buddy Ryan, Vince Tobin,Denny Green,Dave McGinnis and the list of 5 or 6 other guys were all footall idiots once they landed in Phoenix. Once the front office deceides it wants to compete in the NFL, then the talent and resources need to be a playoff team will emerge.

If cities like Cleveland, GreenBay,Detroit can recruit top F/A talent, than playing and living in Phoenix Sept thru January should be easy. Its not Denny its the owners!!!!!!!!

however, denny needs a strong offensive coordinator in place to fill in the x's and o's while he takes care of the rest (like he had in minnesota). how is his offensive coordinator? maybe that's where some of this blame should fall
I don't think Denny ever had a strong offensive coordinator in Minnesota.

however, denny needs a strong offensive coordinator in place to fill in the x's and o's while he takes care of the rest (like he had in minnesota).  how is his offensive coordinator?  maybe that's where some of this blame should fall
Maybe uncle coach Burnies can bring back the "fu*&$r,son of a b*&@h, Bob Snelker :D :D

however, denny needs a strong offensive coordinator in place to fill in the x's and o's while he takes care of the rest (like he had in minnesota).  how is his offensive coordinator?  maybe that's where some of this blame should fall
Come to think of it, outside of Tony Dungy, I can't think of anyone of note he's ever had on his staff. And you'll note that the Vikings defense went from strong, to average, to below average very quickly after he left.

however, denny needs a strong offensive coordinator in place to fill in the x's and o's while he takes care of the rest (like he had in minnesota). how is his offensive coordinator? maybe that's where some of this blame should fall
Come to think of it, outside of Tony Dungy, I can't think of anyone of note he's ever had on his staff. And you'll note that the Vikings defense went from strong, to average, to below average very quickly after he left.
Former Denny Green assistantsTy Willingham

Brian Billick

Mike Tice

Tony Dungy

Brian Billick

Mike Tice

Tony Dungy
I forgot about Billick. I'm not sure why Willingham or Tice are exceptions to what I said though, and in fact I'm on record as doubting Billick's proficiency as a head coach.

Brian Billick

Mike Tice

Tony Dungy
I forgot about Billick. I'm not sure why Willingham or Tice are exceptions to what I said though, and in fact I'm on record as doubting Billick's proficiency as a head coach.
I agree. Those are just the only big names I could think of. Clancy Pendergast has been a pretty good DC on his current staff.

billick made a difference in the vikings offense while green was in MIN and linehan did after green left. denny green last coached the vikings in 2001...and i read this blurb in scott linehan's bio

Linehan’s first NFL season was 2002, as he directed the Vikings to become the second-ranked offense in the NFL, leading the league in rushing. Prior to his arrival in Minnesota, the Vikings scored 290 points in 2001, following that up with 390 in 2002, 416 in 2003, and 405 in 2004.

Here's an interesting tidbit that I heard on the radio awhile back that I'd like to add. I heard it from Cardinals' insider Mike Jurecki on Xtra Sports 910 a couple of months ago: Denny Green came to Arizona as their head coach with the understanding that because of his large salary, he was going to have very little money to spend on the rest of his coaching staff, because the majority of the alloted money for coaches was going to him personally.Denny came in knowing that, and had no problem with it at the time.Well, he interviewed Emmitt Thomas, who he wanted to hire to be the Cardinals defensive coordinator, and get this- Emmitt was actually making more money as the Atlanta Falcons secondary coach than the Cardinals would have been able to have offered him to be their defensive coordinator.Interesting, to say the least!

Here's an interesting tidbit that I heard on the radio awhile back that I'd like to add. I heard it from Cardinals' insider Mike Jurecki on Xtra Sports 910 a couple of months ago:

Denny Green came to Arizona as their head coach with the understanding that because of his large salary, he was going to have very little money to spend on the rest of his coaching staff, because the majority of the alloted money for coaches was going to him personally.

Denny came in knowing that, and had no problem with it at the time.

Well, he interviewed Emmitt Thomas, who he wanted to hire to be the Cardinals defensive coordinator, and get this- Emmitt was actually making more money as the Atlanta Falcons secondary coach than the Cardinals would have been able to have offered him to be their defensive coordinator.

Interesting, to say the least!
This is the exact reason why I stated earlier that if the success of this team depends upon decisions being made by a Bidwell, than mortage the house and bet on FAILURE EVERYTIME,

Former Denny Green assistants

Ty Willingham

Brian Billick

Mike Tice

Tony Dungy
Monte Kiffin should be on the list because Dungy took Kiffin with him to Tampa. Teerlink (sp??) as well I believe.

This is the exact reason why I stated earlier that if the success of this team depends upon decisions being made by a Bidwell, than mortage the house and bet on FAILURE EVERYTIME,
I'll support those thoughts after being a Raider fan for 15+ years. 'Skins got Saunders for $2M as an O.C. 'cause Davis wouldn't pay that much for a H.C.. Besides the fact that coaches don't want to go there due to Davis' underminding of the coach's authority. I know how it feels to have a crappy owner, though he will spend on over-the-hill but good players.

billick made a difference in the vikings offense while green was in MIN and linehan did after green left. denny green last coached the vikings in 2001...and i read this blurb in scott linehan's bio

Linehan’s first NFL season was 2002, as he directed the Vikings to become the second-ranked offense in the NFL, leading the league in rushing. Prior to his arrival in Minnesota, the Vikings scored 290 points in 2001, following that up with 390 in 2002, 416 in 2003, and 405 in 2004.
:lmao: You gotta love a beefed-up resume. Take a look at the Vikings' QB stats for 2001 for some insight into why Linehan "improved" them so much:

Code:
+----------------------+----+-------------------------------+-------------+| Name                 |  G | CMP ATT   PCT YARD  Y/A TD IN | RSH YARD TD |+----------------------+----+-------------------------------+-------------+| Todd Bouman          |  9 |  51  89  57.3  795  8.9  8  4 |   9   61  0 || Daunte Culpepper     | 11 | 235 366  64.2 2612  7.1 14 13 |  71  416  5 || Spergon Wynn         |  3 |  48  98  49.0  418  4.3  1  6 |   8   61  0 |+----------------------+----+-------------------------------+-------------+

Users who are viewing this thread