What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dexter McCluster Predicted Value (1 Viewer)

StoneyBrook

Footballguy
I would like to get a discussion going on McCluster's value from two perspectives. 1) Ceiling as a slot receiver and "Offensive Weapon". Does he have the upside and durabiltity to be an 70-80 catch slot guy? How many touches via the run, pass and wildcat are realistic? 2) Special teams...return value. It is widely assumed that McCluster will handle return duties. What people seem to neglect is the fact that the Chiefs also drafted Javier Arenas. If McCluster is that prominent in the offensive attack might they rest him on special teams and let Arenas handle return duties?

I am in a return yardage league and this distinction would move MCluster from a mid-first to mid-second round pick. I would like the staff to state their opinions along with regualr Pool members.

I'm not drafting anyone that makes Darren Sproles look like a tank by comparison.
a of slot receivers make Sproles look like a tank. Not sure why this is relevant.I agree that McCluster could be Welker, heck he could be Welker+, as McCluster might instantly be the quickest guy in the NFL. Definitely like the idea of spending a late-first on him in PPR leagues.

I'm not drafting anyone that makes Darren Sproles look like a tank by comparison.
a of slot receivers make Sproles look like a tank. Not sure why this is relevant.I agree that McCluster could be Welker, heck he could be Welker+, as McCluster might instantly be the quickest guy in the NFL. Definitely like the idea of spending a late-first on him in PPR leagues.
Wes Welker outweighs McCluster by 13 pounds at exactly the same height (and Welker came into the league 25 pounds heavier). That's an enormous difference at 5'8" 3/4. Dante Hall is an inch shorter and outweighs McCluster by 15 pounds!There's been no one like him in recent times, especially when you consider his speed - 4.53 is sluggish for someone that small.

Maybe he packs on some pounds and becomes Welker II (it could happen) - but I think I can find a way to pass on a guy that has to gain 15 to have a chance to be a slot guy in an average passing game. Especially given that he's going in the early 2nd so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy now, Welker has been averaging about 110 receptions a season, so the bar is set out of reach of every player. Welker as McCluster's comp is a little fuzzy, but I'm thinking more touches of of the backfield (120 carries =7.5 per game) and 70 receptions would be how his usage falls in line. However it adds up, he will be used frequently.

Wes Welker outweighs McCluster by 13 pounds at exactly the same height (and Welker came into the league 25 pounds heavier). That's an enormous difference at 5'8" 3/4. Dante Hall is an inch shorter and outweighs McCluster by 15 pounds!There's been no one like him in recent times, especially when you consider his speed - 4.53 is sluggish for someone that small.

Maybe he packs on some pounds and becomes Welker II (it could happen) - but I think I can find a way to pass on a guy that has to gain 15 to have a chance to be a slot guy in an average passing game. Especially given that he's going in the early 2nd so far.
Watch McCluster run away from SEC defenses and tell me he is "sluggish" - the 4.53 is not a reflection of his pad speed, especially when his exceptional quicks create so much space.

Easy now, Welker has been averaging about 110 receptions a season, so the bar is set out of reach of every player. Welker as McCluster's comp is a little fuzzy, but I'm thinking more touches of of the backfield (120 carries =7.5 per game) and 70 receptions would be how his usage falls in line. However it adds up, he will be used frequently.
Agreed on that Brady >>>>>> Cassel and there's no Moss to clear out safeties, but as you pointed out, the yardage from his touches out of the backfield (including hopefully wildcat, including goal line set :angry: ) make up for the catches he won't get.

Agreed on that Brady >>>>>> Cassel and there's no Moss to clear out safeties, but as you pointed out, the yardage from his touches out of the backfield (including hopefully wildcat, including goal line set :excited: ) make up for the catches he won't get.
For fantasy purposes, does McCluster really have a chance at being better than Welker in his prime? He'd have to have 100 catches and several hundred yards rushing to be Welker +. It's not impossible but seems like a bit of a stretch. I mean Dez Bryant could be Jerry Rice+, but he's not going to be.I like him but think he will be a better NFL player than fantasy player. Be interesting to see how they use him, though. He definitely has skills.

The Chiefs are really thin at receiver after Bowe. The question for me is how quickly can McCluster morph into an NFL receiver? The opportunity is there, and I think seeing him in the slot opposite Chambers and Bowe is the right move. He's got the insane moves/speed/agility/burst and he had excellent hands as a college running back. But does that translate into good hands and good route running as a rookie wide receiver? I don't know. He's definitely someone to keep an eye on during training camp, though. If it looks like he's getting it, he could be a very rewarding late round pick.

It is widely assumed that McCluster will handle return duties. What people seem to neglect is the fact that the Chiefs also drafted Javier Arenas. If McCluster is that prominent in the offensive attack might they rest him on special teams and let Arenas handle return duties? I am in a return yardage league and this distinction would move MCluster from a mid-first to mid-second round pick. I would like the staff to state their opinions along with regualr Pool members.
Pick 2B CB Javier Arenas will most likely be the primary man on KR/PR duties.

What people seem to neglect is the fact that the Chiefs also drafted Javier Arenas. If McCluster is that prominent in the offensive attack might they rest him on special teams and let Arenas handle return duties? I am in a return yardage league and this distinction would move MCluster from a mid-first to mid-second round pick. I would like the staff to state their opinions along with regualr Pool members.
I think it's too early to get a read on the McCluster/Arenas battle. Arenas was a sick return man in college. McCluster wasn't used as a returner his last two years at Ole Miss, but he definitely has the skill set to do the job well. Arenas might be a better PR than KR, although he was good at both with Alabama. I think KC might be wise to let McCluster just focus on becoming a receiver and wildcat QB rather than having him return punts/kicks, too. That's a lot to digest for a rookie making a position switch.

What people seem to neglect is the fact that the Chiefs also drafted Javier Arenas. If McCluster is that prominent in the offensive attack might they rest him on special teams and let Arenas handle return duties? I am in a return yardage league and this distinction would move MCluster from a mid-first to mid-second round pick. I would like the staff to state their opinions along with regualr Pool members.
I think it's too early to get a read on the McCluster/Arenas battle. Arenas was a sick return man in college. McCluster wasn't used as a returner his last two years at Ole Miss, but he definitely has the skill set to do the job well. Arenas might be a better PR than KR, although he was good at both with Alabama. I think KC might be wise to let McCluster just focus on becoming a receiver and wildcat QB rather than having him return punts/kicks, too. That's a lot to digest for a rookie making a position switch.
:unsure: arenas had an insane PR body of work at Bama. McCluster might do KR, but thats it.

Agreed on that Brady >>>>>> Cassel and there's no Moss to clear out safeties, but as you pointed out, the yardage from his touches out of the backfield (including hopefully wildcat, including goal line set :goodposting: ) make up for the catches he won't get.
I'm interested in the coverage for McCluster and how it dictates to the offense (and defense) as well. Lining up in the slot usage dictates that a nickle corner covers him? What about Charles, Jones and McCluster in w/ two backs in slot? As the only back that has ever had 1000 (rush)/500 (rec) in the SEC is impressive, but seeing him in the backfield or the slot will be a asset that Chiefs have that will force opposing defense's cover much more of the field that they did last year vs KC. Regarding the routes that they ask him to run will be interesting, but the end goal is to put the ball in his hands about 180ish times and let him move. Let Arenas cover punts and kicks.

Between TJ and Charles I don't see him getting to many rushing attempts, mostly some wildcat forms.

The Recs project is interesting because there is no one in KC besides Bowe so 80 Recs isn't out of the question... but I would say that 50 to 60 is more like it. He looks like a mini Harvin and Harvin only had 60 Recs.

Watch the 2009 Tennessee game. That was a Monte Kiffen coached defense. This kid is as slippery as axle grease
Yeah but now he will be playing against men...
Eric Berry, Dan Williams....Collage games are all we have to go on for all these rookies. The SEC is provides top shelf compitition every week, and this dude made some defenses look silly. I know he is an injury waiting to happen but he is extremely talented, just youtube him

I think he was a WR his first couple years at Ole Miss and he ran the wildcat there (well the wild rebel) so it should not be a huge adjustment. And anyone that calls him sluggish is just looking at a stopwatch reading and never saw him play in a game.

http://national-football-league-nfl.suite1...-2010-nfl-draft

Mississippi RB Dexter McCluster and the 2010 NFL Draft

Nobody seems too sure what position Dexter McCluster should be playing. What is certain is that former Mississippi star is one gifted football player.
McCluster made that clear during the 2009 season at the Ole Miss, gaining 1,689 yards from scrimmage and scoring 11 touchdowns. Next, he'll try to prove that he's talented enough to play in the NFL.The 5-foot-9, 170-pounder was electrifying last year — especially over his last six games. But he's not being rated as a first-round selecttion. In fact, he might not even go in the second.

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper recently suggested that McCluster could be picked in round two by the Detroit Lions. Kiper ranks McCluster as the No. 3 back in the draft, behind C.J. Spiller of Clemson and Jahvid Best of Cal.

Sideline Scouting.net is projecting McCluster as a third-round selection, ranking him sixth among running backs and 64th among all prospects. NFL Draft Scout.com has McCluster listed as the No. 4 running back and the No. 56 overall player.

The biggest criticism of McCluster has nothing to do with his ability or attitude. It's his size. Analysts aren't sure whether 190-pound players can take a pounding in the NFL, and McCluster's nowhere near 190. Many wonder if he's a better fit as a wide receiver, and if so, will he be a good one?

The Weaknesses of Dexter McCluster

McCluster's not just light by NFL standards, he's short. So teams will be a bit antsy about sending him downfield on pass patterns. In addition, McCluster's not blindingly fast — at least not when measurerd against other small running backs.

Spiller and Best — both 25 pounds heavier than McCluster — ran the 40-yard dash faster than the Ole Miss product did at the NFL scouting combines. McCluster stumbled at the start of his 40 drill and turned in a sub-par 4.58. He later ran a 4.44 at his pro day, but even that didn't match Spiller and Best.

McCluster has also struggled with fumbles — a problem that could increase in the bigger, faster, harder-hitting NFL. And he's not terribly experienced as a running back. He was primarily a receiver during the first tww years of his career, and most of his 1,955 career rushing yards came in the second half of 2009.

The Strengths of Dexter McCluster

McCluster's limited time at running back could actually be a positive. He's taken less of a pounding, and he could get much better at the position with additional time there. Also, his experience as a wide receiver is invaluable — no matter where he plays in the NFL.

Sure, McCluster's not big, but he's stronger and more durable than many give him credit for. At the combines, he turned 20 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press — more than Spiller, Best, and 220-pound Ryan Mathews of Fresno State, not to mention 240-pound LeGarrette Blount of Oregon.

Over the last six games of his NCAA career, McCluster averaged 23.8 carries per game — and also managed 28 receptions. He ran 34 times for 184 yards and caught five passes for 63 yards in his team's 21-7 Cotton Bowl win over Oklahoma State.

McCluster is a graceful runner with tremendous lateral quickness and slick moves. He also has good hands, runs solid routes, and is a tenacious blocker despite his lack of size. McCluster is also experienced as a punt and kickoff returner — duties he performed regularly during his fresmhan and sophomore years.

Who Will Draft Dexter McCluster

The running back class of the 2010 draft features quantity but not spectacular quality, and there's a chance that only one could be picked in the first round. Spiller is widely rated as the top back, followed in interchangeable order by Mathews and Best. After that, it's rather cloudy.

McCluster is evaluated rather evenly with the likes of Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer, Tennessee's Montario Hardesty, Stanford's Toby Gerhart and Auburn's Ben Tate — all bigger, more bruising backs. Much will depend on what type of back is being sought.

A number of teams have shown interest in McCluster, via workouts or meetings. The clubs include Cleveland, Denver, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Tennessee and Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#...ty-yard-shuttle

He had the fastest 20 yard shuttle time at 4.06

Last edited by a moderator:
If DeSean Jackson can be successful in the NFL then I don't see why McCluster can't. Jackson is quite a bit faster but McCluster has the quickness to consistently get open.

I woudn't read any more into this other than he's strong because I've seen a lot of short guys like more than much bigger guys because of the length of their arms.

Sure, McCluster's not big, but he's stronger and more durable than many give him credit for. At the combines, he turned 20 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press — more than Spiller, Best, and 220-pound Ryan Mathews of Fresno State, not to mention 240-pound LeGarrette Blount of Oregon.

Do we know if the Chiefs have definite plans to run the Wildcat? I didn't watch them much last year; did they run it much last year?

Do we think he might put more weight on? Is his frame such that he can add weight or is this as big as he gets?

I used to never think at all about a player this small and overlooked Desean Jackson and Harvin. Don't want to make the same mistake again, but I get the impression that McCluster is even smaller.

:jawdrop:
If KC hadn't taken McCluster, he was still going in the early-to-mid second. Most NFL teams don't think that's a good posting.
SalPal is adament Philly was just about to take him one pick later.Listening to Haley and Pioli talk about McCluster was quite interesting. They NEVER talk particularly positive about any player in the press, but they were pretty much gushing over McCluster and what he could bring. And he's an A+ character guy, team captain, so you know he'll work hard at his craft.I think Haley and Weis will find ways to get him the ball early and often.

Do we know if the Chiefs have definite plans to run the Wildcat? I didn't watch them much last year; did they run it much last year?
One time we tried to sneak QB Brodie Croyle on the field on fourth down and then broke huddle into a punt formation but with the punter not taking the snap. The conversion attempt predictably failed, but does that count?Really, though, there were a limited number of wildcat formation plays with Jamaal Charles taking the snap. But it was not common.

If DeSean Jackson can be successful in the NFL then I don't see why McCluster can't. Jackson is quite a bit faster but McCluster has the quickness to consistently get open.
Dexter is only 165 lbs... Theres a point when your size is going to be a factor into sustaining a hit. Look at the hits that Wes takes while crossing the middle... their brutal. But hes also 30 lbs heavier than Dex. If their planning on using him like Wes he isn't going to hold up.

I just took him in the 10th round of a start-up and feel pretty good about it. I was at the UTvOlemiss game and personally witnessed McC dismantle our defense(which was actually pretty good). The guy is a playmaker and he will be on the field somewhere.

I must have missed the memo where he was being converted from RB to WR.
Here's the memo
I'm not saying he's doomed to fail, and I'm not saying he doesn't have value to NFL teams. Maybe even 2nd round value.But the risk/reward is all out of whack for FF IMO.
What players available at the end of the first have better risk reward? the late first is terrible this year.
Bloom, what do you see as McCluster's realistic stat projection range in the next few years. Can he be a 75 catch guy w/another 300-400 rushing yards. 6-7 touchdowns?

KellysHeroes said:
cstu said:
Dexter is only 165 lbs... Theres a point when your size is going to be a factor into sustaining a hit. Look at the hits that Wes takes while crossing the middle... their brutal. But hes also 30 lbs heavier than Dex. If their planning on using him like Wes he isn't going to hold up.
I agree with you and I actually traded out of the pick I was going to take him with and selected Andre Roberts later for that very reason. I do believe the talent is there but it will be interesting to see how he holds up being a big part of the offense.

I love Dex's talent. But he was drafted by the wrong team. KC Chiefs had the chance to take Okung, and they passed. The O line was neglected for the 3rd straight year. Remember when the Chiefs had the best Oline in football? Back in the day of Priest Holmes and the young LJ. Well those days are gone. There isn't enough time for plays to develop for Dex to find some space, unless he is going to be doing kamakaszi like crossing patterns over the middle. He is too small and his frame won't take the punishment of those hits. Love Dex, but it's a bad fit.

I love Dex's talent. But he was drafted by the wrong team. KC Chiefs had the chance to take Okung, and they passed. The O line was neglected for the 3rd straight year. Remember when the Chiefs had the best Oline in football? Back in the day of Priest Holmes and the young LJ. Well those days are gone. There isn't enough time for plays to develop for Dex to find some space, unless he is going to be doing kamakaszi like crossing patterns over the middle. He is too small and his frame won't take the punishment of those hits. Love Dex, but it's a bad fit.
There isn't enough time for him to run short and intermediate routes out of the slot? :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread