What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dez's Digital Nomad Thread: Colombia (1 Viewer)

I saw Vanessa last night for just the second time on this trip (the first time being when we "made up").  We had plans to make tacos and watch a movie (we watched Shrek when I was here last fall so it was going to be Shrek 2 this time).  Whenever I make what I've started calling "American tacos" I'll post some pictures and the chicas always comment.  Vanessa wanted to try them so I brought the shells and flavor packet with me from home as a surprise.  She showed up in a little while dress looking smoking hot.  We went to the grocery store and picked up what we needed, came back and had a fun time cooking.  We ate and watched the movie, and the whole night was playful and fun.

After a while things started progressing and we were just at the point where it was about to get interesting, and she stopped me and said that if I wanted to :pickle: then we were going to have to be exclusive.  I started to protest and bring up everything that had happened and she pulled the "what happened happened, I'm talking about from here forward" card.  That it wouldn't be a noviazgo (formal boyfriend/girlfriend) but it would be exclusive (which for me of course would basically mean the same thing).  She said would it really be that difficult for you, and I just basically said I didn't want to limit myself and I don't trust chicas (i.e. her I guess).  So we pretty much just left it there.  She stuck around for a while longer and it was still nice, but I guess no more fun time :sadbanana:
You're a good dude Dez.

I saw Vanessa last night for just the second time on this trip (the first time being when we "made up").  We had plans to make tacos and watch a movie (we watched Shrek when I was here last fall so it was going to be Shrek 2 this time).  Whenever I make what I've started calling "American tacos" I'll post some pictures and the chicas always comment.  Vanessa wanted to try them so I brought the shells and flavor packet with me from home as a surprise.  She showed up in a little while dress looking smoking hot.  We went to the grocery store and picked up what we needed, came back and had a fun time cooking.  We ate and watched the movie, and the whole night was playful and fun.

After a while things started progressing and we were just at the point where it was about to get interesting, and she stopped me and said that if I wanted to :pickle: then we were going to have to be exclusive.  I started to protest and bring up everything that had happened and she pulled the "what happened happened, I'm talking about from here forward" card.  That it wouldn't be a noviazgo (formal boyfriend/girlfriend) but it would be exclusive (which for me of course would basically mean the same thing).  She said would it really be that difficult for you, and I just basically said I didn't want to limit myself and I don't trust chicas (i.e. her I guess).  So we pretty much just left it there.  She stuck around for a while longer and it was still nice, but I guess no more fun time :sadbanana:
Women. :lmao:   

I discovered the other day that there's kind of a rooftop area in my building, so I snapped a few pics to give a little better view of the area.

https://imgur.com/a/xzgIRlu

First pic is looking east.  The long low dark colored building in the distance on the left is Viva mall, another very nice mall and newer than the first two phases of Buenavista.

Second pic is a good look at Buenavista to the west.  Phase 1 is the front with the name.  Phase 2 is behind it and slightly left in the picture.  The building with the turquoise blue section is phase 3, also known as Mallplaza.

Last two pics are looking a little more southwest.

Had an interesting evening last night.  I couldn't find a thing to do.  Maria has been pretty quiet lately, she only says hello how are you and the conversation stops.  I guess I'm supposed to be more proactive because I wrote to her yesterday asking when we were going to see each other and she said that I never invite her to do anything.  I said what about today and she said she wasn't in Barranquilla.  So I tried Taylor and she said she was working and afterwards had to go to a work party.  Wrote to Mary and she mostly is only available on Sundays and she promised to visit me this coming week.  Apartment Girl was tired from going out the night before.  Etc. etc.  Last night was really the first night I've felt a little frustrated on this trip, I think.

I've been saving a situation such as that for another chica I know, 31-year old Kelly.  I've been talking to her since last summer but we've never met.  She knows I'm always chasing the chicas and she always jokes with me about me being a lobo and always on the hunt and that she won't be easy prey.  She seems a more serious person like that so I've always thought of her more as a friend.  For those two reasons (age and just friends) she hasn't really been a high priority to meet.  But I did want to meet her at some point, just like I see my other friends.  So I wrote to her yesterday a little after 6pm.  She said that she was over at Buenavista to eat dinner with her brother then she was going to go grocery shopping there afterwards.  I said hey, I'm hungry and I need to pick some things up too (which was true, I figured that was all I'd end up doing yesterday).  She said I'm not dressed for a date but come on over and join us, so I hopped in the shower and headed over.

They were over at BV3 at the cool food court, and I saw them right away.  In her pics she looks cute (not as pretty as my usuals, but cute) and her body looks good.  Well I showed up and she was wearing this really nice looking floral tropical dress with spaghetti straps and flowing to her ankles.  She didn't have any makeup on but she looked cute, and she was much slimmer than I thought with nice curves and looked very good in that dress.  I sat down and it was a little awkward.  Her brother was quite stoic and I found out afterward that she didn't even tell him I was coming.  They were basically finishing up eating when I ordered something.  We talked a bit and after a while her brother got up to leave for work (he had just come to eat with her).  She and I had a good conversation and it was very comfortable.  I kept saying stupid things as if I was "hunting" which made her laugh.  She asked a few things about my apartment and I said I'll show you when we leave here and she just said ok.

We finished up then went to the store where we each picked up some things.  She was doing some actual shopping so she grabbed a lot more than me (it was much healthier than mine as well).  Right before they were going to start ringing her up she said oh I forgot something and took off.  A couple minutes later she came back and plopped down a box of feminine hygiene product :oldunsure: .  We paid for our things, grabbed our bags, and walked over to my apartment.  She checked out the apartment and then sat on the couch.  I sat next to her (it's a big couch but she was parked right in the middle) and we put on a movie.  Really from the moment I sat next to her she was up against me and positioning herself appropriately, I put my arm around her, etc.  She did everything but jump me (as far as "prey" goes, it was the easiest I can recall in a while from start to finish :lol: ).  We started making out, etc. and she was very excited.  My hands were roaming and she was all into it, but she stopped me and said she couldn't because... yep, on her period.  So the rest of the evening we alternated between the movie and making out/messing around.  She was muyy caliente and said it had something to do with her hormones at this time.  My buddy always says girls are like that during their period, which never made sense to me (but at this point why bother trying to make any sense of women?).  I got to see what she had going on beneath those spaghetti straps and it was very nice.  She was very complimentary of my hands and techniques lol so that's always nice to get a ego boost.

So we basically left it at that, but I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing her again in a few days, if you catch my drift.

Another tale of the strange.  I've mentioned my friend Sara E. before.  I've known her for years and we always see each other when I'm in Barranquilla.  I've been here 6 weeks and we still haven't seen each other.  She acted a little irritated that I didn't invite her to go to the concert with me, but she might have just been pulling my leg.  As far as I know, she was working that day anyway and doesn't even get off until 7pm (she's a nurse).  We were supposed to see each other this past Thursday, but she didn't leave work until after 8:30 and she had something she had to take care of, so we rescheduled for Friday.  On Friday she video called me from work to let me know she wasn't getting out on time that night either, but would come straight to my apartment afterward and we would go eat.  Somewhere around 9:30 she called and said that she had just gotten home, and something about her cousins and not having a key.  Sunday is her day off, so she suggested we reschedule again for Sunday (today).  She said she would come early and we would spend the afternoon together.

Early this morning another good friend, Dayana, who lives in Bogota, wrote to me asking me what my plans were for today and I told her about my plans with Sara E.  Dayana said that she had arrived in Santa Marta last night and wanted to pay me a surprise visit today (about a 2-hour bus ride).  I told her to come on down, but she basically said no, that she respected the plans I already had, but that maybe she could come down another day this coming week (she'll be there until Friday).  I wrote to Sara E. later in the morning asking what time we were going to see each other, and I wrote to her again at 2pm.  At 3:30 she replied saying that she wasn't home but would let me know when she got back.  I never heard from her again.  But she did post a number of stories to her Instagram later in the afternoon and early evening apparently hanging out with some girlfriends.  I waited until about 7pm and then went to pick up some dinner.

I really don't know what the deal is, but I'm extremely irritated (putting it lightly) that I wasted an entire day today waiting for her when she apparently had no intention of seeing me, and even worse it cost me the opportunity to see a good friend who was going to go out of her way to spend time with me.  It's a shame that I lost Thursday and Friday nights when maybe I could have made other plans, but I was fine with it just not working out because of her work.  But today was completely unacceptable.  I get that there are cultural differences, and we've seen that this kind of thing happens more frequently than one might imagine, but there's no denying that it's a severe lack of respect no matter how you slice it.

So I've got less than two weeks left and I need to start thinking about the next trip, as I'm going to have a fairly quick turnaround to get back to my two-month on/off schedule (this time got started late because the apartment wasn't available until later in Jan.).

Should I come back here or try someplace different?  I've enjoyed my time here this trip and seem to be doing pretty well, but the Tinder matches seem to be drying up somewhat so I'm not sure.  I'd like to try Cartagena but all my friends there say there's no place like Buenavista there where I can have everything at hand.  I'd also like to get to Bogota where I'm sure I can find a similar location (cooler weather though) and there are 5x as many chicas there.

Thoughts?

I'm not well versed on the entire country but I'd go with Medellin or Bogota.  I spent some time in Cartagena and most of the quality I encountered were Colombians visiting for the holiday or tourists like myself.  It can also get very expensive compared to the rest of Colombia.   It's definitely a cool city to visit but if it's women you're  primarily concerned with, I'd try elsewhere.  

Also, instead of putting all your eggs in one basket with one girl, meet them at a lively bar, cafe, etc so if they bail you have options.  You can play the lone wolf tourist or the Colombian girl didn't show/sympathy card.   Could also get a Tinder match to meet you last minute.  In this instant gratification i-dating world , women have unlimited options so they're extremely unreliable and flakey.   Cast that net far and wide my friend. 

And if you have options to travel to a different country, just hit Brazil.  Much, much easier than Colombia.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not well versed on the entire country but I'd go with Medellin or Bogota.  I spent some time in Cartagena and most of the quality I encountered were Colombians visiting for the holiday or tourists like myself.  It can also get very expensive compared to the rest of Colombia.   It's definitely a cool city to visit but if it's women you're  primarily concerned with, I'd try elsewhere.  

Also, instead of putting all your eggs in one basket with one girl, meet them at a lively bar, cafe, etc so if they bail you have options.  You can play the lone wolf tourist or the Colombian girl didn't show/sympathy card.   Could also get a Tinder match to meet you last minute.  In this instant gratification i-dating world , women have unlimited options so they're extremely unreliable and flakey.   Cast that net far and wide my friend. 

And if you have options to travel to a different country, just hit Brazil.  Much, much easier than Colombia.   
You are correct about Cartagena being more expensive than other cities in Colombia.  It's so cool though, and I have friends there, so I'd like to spend my two months there at some point.

Medellin is out of the question.  The chicas there are the worst in Colombia from my perspective.  Sure, they're the hottest, but they're also the most vain, the most superficial, the most fake, and the most interesada (interested in money).

I've done pretty well in Bogota over the years and on Tinder, and the chica pool is definitely much larger.  The only thing I don't like is that the people there generally have fairer features, and there are many foreigners, so I don't necessarily stand out.  I've got Delight and Sara B. there, so that's a plus, but Delight is talking about moving again.  If I go somewhere different next time, I'm leaning Bogota.

I'm definitely more outgoing here than back home, but I've never been good at just meeting chicas in a bar.  Well, unless they approach me, of course, which used to happen quite a bit more down here than it does these days.

I've never been to Brazil but I don't relish the idea of being there two months and not speaking the language.  What are your thoughts on that?  I can figure out some Portuguese if I'm reading it, but it's still very different and no way I could speak or understand it spoken.

I feel that Dez.  In general, I find Colombian women more money hungry and Americanized than Brazilians so I didn't notice much of a difference between cities.  Of course, I was only visiting for a few weeks and wasn't entrenched in the Colombian culture like you.   I have heard Medellin is the worst though.  

As for Brazil, I don't speak a lick of Portuguese and a very poor Spanish speaker.  Most of the educated girls speak some level of English and even more understand Spanish so you can get by.  They just really love gringos down there.  Even my friends with zero game managed pulling women.  It was a sight to see.  You really can't go wrong with either country as they both far outweigh anything stateside. 

I would definitely check out Cartagena if you haven't been.  It's more of Caribbean vibe and having friends locally to navigate always gives you an edge.  

I feel that Dez.  In general, I find Colombian women more money hungry and Americanized than Brazilians so I didn't notice much of a difference between cities.  Of course, I was only visiting for a few weeks and wasn't entrenched in the Colombian culture like you.   I have heard Medellin is the worst though.  

As for Brazil, I don't speak a lick of Portuguese and a very poor Spanish speaker.  Most of the educated girls speak some level of English and even more understand Spanish so you can get by.  They just really love gringos down there.  Even my friends with zero game managed pulling women.  It was a sight to see.  You really can't go wrong with either country as they both far outweigh anything stateside. 

I would definitely check out Cartagena if you haven't been.  It's more of Caribbean vibe and having friends locally to navigate always gives you an edge.  

That's very interesting about Brazil, I might have to consider it at some point.  What specific cities and areas would you recommend?  I'd have to be in a good area, safe, good internet, etc.

I'm not sure if that last part was for me or the group, but I've obviously been to Cartagena many times (earlier in this thread as well) and I really like it there.  I definitely share your recommendation.  I tell everyone if they ever get the urge to visit Colombia, that should be where they go the first time.

Was still in a bad mood on Tuesday for some reason.  I think it was a combination of what Sara E. did (still), that I'm leaving soon, frustration at work, and maybe that things aren't finishing up as well as I would like.  Last time and this time, the last two weeks feel kind of lame duck.  It's probably not worth putting much effort into finding something new, and at the same time I'm trying to see a bunch of chicas at the end (and currently they aren't cooperating much).

To try to cheer myself up I went to a fancy steakhouse that someone told me about called Pepe Anca.  I was not disappointed.  Probably the first (finally!) good steak I've ever had in Barranquilla.  Here are some pics: https://imgur.com/a/RlEkRoa.  The steak came with peppercorns and little salt rocks on the plate (I've never seen that before but I'm sure you guys know what that is) so basically I could season each bite as little or as much as I wanted, which was cool (assuming I wasn't way off-base lol).

I saw Kelly again last night.  We met up at BV to eat and then she came back over here.  Unfortunately, her little visitor was still around, so we didn't really get much further than last time.  However, I was able to get a better look at everything and man she has such a nice lithe little body.  That drives me nuts.  That's one of the best things about the girls here, so many are slim and little.  She wants to see me Saturday (my birthday) so I think by then we'll be good to go.  She is reaaaally excitable, just about everything I do gets her going.  It's been two years since she's been with anyone, so I think she's ready to explode.  I'm a little scared lol.

I've been leaning heavily now to going to Bogota on the next trip.  I've been checking out Airbnb the last couple of days and it's been frustrating.  Bogota usually seems cheaper to me for rentals, but the longer-term stuff doesn't seem to be coming out too well.  They don't give the kind of long-term discounts on there that I expect or that I think would be typical.

A good friend of mine there insists that I should stay near Unicentro Mall or Andino Mall, that those are the best places to live.  I know both areas well and think that's probably true.  The only issue I have is that they aren't centrally located.  Bogota is huge and the traffic is terrible, so I'd kind of like to be somewhere where I can convince the chicas to come and that's not too far away.  Unicentro is pretty far north, although I do like the area.  I guess it just depends on where I can find an affordable apartment within walking distance.

I'm probably going to have a quick turnaround to get myself back on my 2-month schedule (got a late start in January because the apartment wasn't available).  Right now thinking about heading out the first weekend in May.

Friday night I finally went to visit my "Colombian family" in the barrio here in Barranquilla.  They are always so good to me.  They cooked my favorite, arroz con pollo (chicken rice), and even surprised me with a birthday cake and balloons.  When I was here last time I waited until the last minute to visit them as well, and I'm not sure why I keep doing that because it's always such a fun time and they make me feel loved and happy.  They are building a second floor in the house where we met up, much like my friend's family in Cartagena, but they are much further along.  I wanted to take pics but left my phone downstairs and it was dark anyway.  Didn't get home and into bed until about 2am.

Saturday I saw Kelly again and we had a really good time.  She showed up about 5pm, also with a surprise cake and a balloon for me.  Since we'd both been waiting since our first meeting a week before, we got started into things right away :pickle: .  As expected, she was ready and it was really fun.  She knows I've been with other girls here and it doesn't phase her, as we're friends (that seems to be a popular arrangement here).  She did want me to know though that she was not my presa, that we were equals in this conquest lol.  Afterward we ordered a pizza and watched a movie.  After that I was sleeping off and on the rest of the evening lol.  She ended up leaving about midnight or so.  Everything is so relative.  It had been over two weeks since I'd been with anyone (Martha) and it felt like forever.  Two weeks back home doesn't even register when it comes to that kind of thing.

Supposed to see Mary today but haven't heard from her yet.  I noticed last night she posted a short video to her Instagram that showed her in a more-than-friends looking position with some guy.  Not sure if that affects anything today or not.  I hope I get to see her one last time, she's so cute and god I love her body.

Still haven't had much luck finding an apartment in Bogota.  There's maybe one place that meets all my requirements, although it's a little older.  Still waiting for them to get back to me on a couple of things.  I started checking out other places too.  Looked in Cartagena a bit again, and in Santa Marta.  Even Guatemala City, as I'd like to get there a some point too.  But really having a hard time finding something in my price range.  I can't believe how expensive these apartments are in these places (most meeting my criteria seem to be in the $1500/month and up range).  I may end up back here just because of that lol.  The problem is that this apartment books up fast as well, so I'm going to have to decide something soon.

Not surprisingly, Mary cancelled on me yesterday.  She wrote in the early evening that she was in a pueblo an hour or so away (and certainly having fun from the looks of that video) and would let me know when she made it back.

Kelly wants to see me again, and I'm sure we will, but I'm trying to see who I can fit in before I leave.

Supposed to see Taylor tonight for the first time since my first night here this trip.  She wants Stella and flowers lol.  She seems a bit more dependable than some of the others so hopefully things happen as planned.

ETA: heading home this Saturday. :cry:

Taylor got off work at 6pm and headed to the gym.  After that she's coming here.  I told her to skip the gym because it will get late quick and I've got all this beer.  It turns out she's not working tomorrow so I guess she's not worried about how much beer there is or how late it gets.  I, on the other hand, have to start work at 7am thanks to the time change.  I don't think she cares about that either lol.  Could be a very late night, but let's hope I get a jump start in the morning as well.  I've got her Stella and flowers ready.

Well Taylor sure showed me.  I told her she wouldn't get here until 9pm if she went to the gym.  She showed up closer to 10pm.  She loved the flowers.  One thing I noticed right away is that she was wearing this sexy top that I had commented I wanted to see her in after seeing a picture in her status one time a while back.  A little, lacy, revealing kind of top.  So I definitely appreciated that.  And she's got some nice stuff to reveal.  We hung out and listened to music and drank beer (just like we did the first time).  She's a lot of fun to hang out with.  Not the prettiest or the hottest, but fun and sexy.  Did that for a long while, then she wanted the post-gym massage I had promised her, yadda yadda yadda :pickle: .

We went to bed about 2am.  Her alarm went off at 5am (I had told her to turn it off since she didn't have to work but she refused for some reason).  I couldn't go back to sleep and laid there until my alarm went off at 6am.  Ugh.  I got up, got ready, and started working.  She got up around 8:30 and left around 9am.  Should be a fun day :sleep:

My friend who I watched the Super Bowl with and went to the concert with treated me for my birthday with dinner at Miura Steakhouse last night.  Wish I'd have gone there sooner.  Of course I got the lomo, and it was amazing.  Very possibly the most tender piece of meat I've ever had.  I also always order French onion soup when it's on the menu, and theirs was easily the best that I've had in years.  So quite a successful evening!  And that's two good steaks I've had now (finally!) in Barranquilla.

pics: https://imgur.com/a/QCHUTdL

Finalized plans yesterday to go to Bogota for 7 weeks in May and June.  Will be staying at the Hotel Estelar La Fontana which is right catercorner to Unicentro Mall, so I really can't get much closer.  I don't quite understand the arrangements, but the Fontana is like a complex of buildings that are part hotel and part private apartments.  I stayed there in an Airbnb once before several years ago.  It's older, but the apartment supposedly has everything I need and the price was right.

Vanessa came over last night for one last get together.  We ordered pizza and watch a movie.  It was a fun time but she stuck to her guns.  So unfortunate :sadbanana: .  Oh well, there will be other 18-year olds (will there? :cry: I hope so!!).

I had plans with Kelly yesterday evening, and Maria started writing to me saying she wanted to see me.  I told her I was going out with a buddy (which was true) and would write to her later.  My buddy picked me up in the afternoon and we went to see the grave of Joe Arroyo (the Colombian salsa singer I mentioned earlier in the thread).  After that we went to this artisanal beer place.  He wanted to stick around longer but I had to get back to see Kelly.

I got back and she was over at BV buying some things.  So I went over there and accompanied her for a while, then we came back to my place, yadda yadda yadda :pickle: .  I think she's in love :oldunsure: .  She didn't leave until almost midnight.  I wrote to Maria afterwards and we exchanged a few messages.  She was probably mad, but what can I do?  She hasn't given me enough reason to place a higher priority.

I'm supposed to see Mary today, but she's already hedging.  Tonight is La Guacherna, the biggest event of pre-Carnaval (as I mentioned earlier, Carnaval officially starts next Saturday, a week after I leave :cry: ).  So whether it's Mary, Maria, or anyone else, I'm probably going to have a hard time finding a date today.  Rosa invited me to go to with her, her boyfriend, and his friends, but that seems a little awkward.  Although I'm sure it would still be fun so I'm thinking about it.  I guess it depends what Mary and/or Maria tell me.

La Guacherna is a nocturnal parade and is considered as the most important pre-carnival event. It takes place on the previous week Friday before the beginning of the carnival. Many folkloric groups, cumbiambas, tamboras, disguises to the light of candles and people holding color lanterns participate in it.

La Guacherna unofficially started as early as the beginnings of the 20th century in barrio Abajo. In its beginnings, during the pre-carnival days, people used to call others by playing a guache (percussion instrument producing a similar sound to that of a maraca) to signal the commencement of dancing, which was accompanied by tamboras and flauta de millo as well as by candles to illuminate the night, making the surrounding people joyful. In 1974, this tradition was recovered thanks to the music composer Esthercita Forero's initiative, who, along with Alicia de Andréis, achieved to make the carnival board introduce it in the carnival program. This parade did not exist formally until that year and it was named as La Guacherna after its creator, Esther forero.

The idea of bringing about such a nocturnal parade in the Barranquilla's Carnival dates back to a night in 1958, when Esther forero was at a nocturnal parade in Santiago de Cuba, prompting her to ask around among folklorists about it the following days and hence learning that the parade, named as La Conga Parade, came to existence after many small groups had been gathering from across Santiago de Cuba Province over time. She then remembered that her city, Barranquilla, did not have a nocturnal parade in its carnivals, therefore as soon as she came back to her city, she decided to achieve to bring about a similar parade and then named it as La Guacherna - that name originated from a memory she had back her childhood of when cumbia groups would go out on the streets to rehearse their rhythms and the surrounding people would say a Guacherna was passing by. In short, that great nocturnal parade was created in 1974 and still exists as a great and brightly nocturnal parade.[2]

The insignia song of this date is the merengue song with the same name "La Guacherna", a composition by Esthercita Forero herself, and whose most known version is that of the Dominican Milly Quezada.

Not surprisingly, Mary cancelled on me yesterday, but at least she did so fairly early.  I wrote to Maria and she said she was going to La Guacherna with her friends.  I asked why she didn't invite me :P and she said she'd been wanting to see me all week but I kept telling her no because I already had plans (which was true).  Kelly wanted me to go with her and her friends but I didn't want to feed the beast any further (in retrospect, I probably should have gone with her).  When Rosa was leaving the house to go, she said she was leaving her cell phone at home and gave me another number to call.  I called at one point, and some guy answered and acted like he had no idea what I was talking about.  I found out later it was her boyfriend's brother who answered, so not sure why he responded like that.

So in the end I didn't go.  It kind of sucks to have missed such a great cultural opportunity, but the truth is I've been to Carnaval a couple of times and have attended the parades and other events like this one (although not this one in particular), so I'm sure it's nothing I haven't seen before.  Plus if I would have tried to meet up with Rosa and her group, it probably just would have been stressful trying to find my way, all the people, etc.

Leaving for home today.  Let me know if there's still interest to continue in May from Bogota.

:bye:

Well I was thoroughly depressed this weekend, as all the status updates from Carnaval started rolling in.  Especially the ones from "my" chicas out partying and who knows what.  Vanessa posted a picture of some Hungarian guy that came up to her and told her she was beautiful and asked for her Instagram (which of course she gave him, and he's already asked her out).  She also posted that some girl she didn't know randomly kissed her.  I told her it's a good thing we're exclusive, but I'm sure my point was lost on her.  I also gave Mary a hard time about something she posted and her reply was "anything goes during Carnaval."

My upcoming Bogota trip has already taken a couple of hits.  Delight was likely going to move to Valledupar, and she did.  That sucks but I was prepared for that.  But it turns out that Sara B. has been seeing someone since January, but just now told me about it.  I was counting on her for a couple of amigos con derechos moments, but that's not going to happen now.  The other amigas I have there are just friends, so I'll be starting mostly from scratch.

I learned a couple of interesting things during the last week of my trip.  You may recall that I went to the cemetery to see Joe Arroyo's grave site.  While there my buddy told me that most plots (except for those with enough money) are actually leased for 4-5 years, after which they dig you up and move you to a smaller final resting place (either cremation or a smaller container somewhere).  He was telling me this because apparently the big companies that run the cemeteries are worried because they had to bury Covid victims in plastic body bags and are worried that the bodies won't be decomposed enough when their leases run out.

Also, Uber operated for years in Colombia but was always illegal.  Big issues with the taxi drivers etc.  Well two years ago they finally got kicked out of the country, but only for about a month while they negotiated with the Colombian government.  When they returned it was under some new model where you ostensibly rent the driver's car and contract him to drive it, or something goofy like that.  There's still some question as to whether or not Uber is legal, no one really seems to know.  But since that time, it's been extremely hard to find an Uber on the coast, although you won't have much trouble in other areas of the country.  This last time it finally seemed to be improving a bit.  The part that I didn't know and just found out is that when Uber got kicked out and all the drivers went to other apps (InDriver is the most popular), Uber wouldn't let the people who had left come back.  That's supposedly part of the reason things have been slower to recover in the coast.

:lol: watching To Catch a Smuggler and just saw the officer that searched my suitcase coming through ATL a couple years ago.

Kelly wrote to me the other day saying how much she misses me, that she hopes it doesn't make me uncomfortable but that she had to say it.  I told you guys she was in love.  Vanessa and I had a fight over the Hungarian dude (she had seen him several times) and I haven't talked to her in weeks.

Heading for Bogota tomorrow for 7 weeks.  We’ll see how things go there.  I’m staying in a two-bedroom place right across from Unicentro Mall so it’s a good area with a lot within walking distance.  A 10-15 min taxi ride gets me to some of the other popular areas like Zona T, Andino Mall, Chapinero, and Parque 93.  My favorite steakhouse isn’t too far away either, so I plan to go there at least twice a week.

Everyone’s been telling me it’s been cold and rainy, so we’ll see.  I usually like Bogota in the winter because it feels like springtime there.  When I go in the summer then it seems colder (highs are basically in the 60s year round).

I’ve got maybe four amigas there who I’ll probably see, but three of them have boyfriends (including the previously mentioned Sara B.) so nothing going to happen there.  A couple of them (including the single one) are model types who I probably wouldn’t have a chance with anyway, but hope springs eternal.

I haven’t had a whole lot of luck on Tinder, but I’ve got two fairly good leads, although I’m not sure one is a real girl yet.  A couple of chicas from Barranquilla could be in play, as Maria (medical student) and Martha (fetish girl) both said they’d like to come visit if we can work it out.  I’ve also already made plans to go visit Delight in Valledupar the weekend of May 21, but she’s been a little stressed and moody lately so who knows how that’s going to go.

No issue with the flights, but between delays getting off the plane, a huuuge immigration line, and hoops with the Uber, I finally got into the apartment at 11pm, about 3 hours after landing.  Temp was in the 50's but felt fine with a pullover I've got.  There's a 24/7 Exito (like Wal-Mart) at Unicentro so I thought going over there at midnight would be a good idea.  No.  Picked up some water and a few things but there were actually quite a few people in there, with one checkout lane open, ended up waiting in line for 30 min.  Finally went to sleep about 1am local time.

Got up this morning and finished unpacking, took a shower (hot water isn't too bad, but not the best), then went looking for a gym.  It was 58-61 and sunny, and I actually felt hot in the fluffy sweat type jacket I had on.  Didn't like the first gym, but found another that wasn't too much farther away (maybe 10-15 min walk).  It was the same chain that I went to in Barranquilla so signing up was a snap.  Went back to Exito to pick up a few more things, then about 1pm I went to my favorite restaurant (turned out to be about a 20-25 min walk) for lunch.  The place was already packed for Mother's Day and there was a wait, but they had two small tables (for two people) free and since everyone else had larger parties I was able to go right in and get a seat.  I go there every time I'm in Bogota for the last five and a half years.  I haven't been in there since October but 3-4 of the workers came over to greet me and welcome me back.  Now that will make you feel good.  Got the 14oz. lomo (beef tenderloin) for $15.

Walked around a good bit today and saw a lot more of the area than I'd seen before (I usually am around street 116 but this time I saw a lot in between 116 and 127, where I'm staying) and there's quite a bit more around here than I realized.  The hotel/apartment complex I'm staying in is something else.  It was built around 1980 and has a real high-class old hotel type feel to it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was haunted lol.  The apartment is nice, internet is good, and it seems like it will be quiet enough to work (it's more on the back side near one of the side streets instead of on the main street side).  There are several restaurants in here and a cigar salon, and today I stopped by the beauty salon and spa and made an appointment to get my hair cut tomorrow (decided to skip the manicure).  I'm sure I'll be back to check out the massage options.

Don't have a good feel for the chicas, but we'll see how it goes.

Woke up yesterday with a little bit of a stomach issue.  At first I thought it was maybe just from the big steak I ate the day before.  But a little while later my head started feeling crappy.  And then I started getting mild chills.  I was able to work but pretty much just felt like laying down all day. 

Could have been from the food?  I did have a salad with the steak so you never know here in South America.  Could have been the altitude?  Bogota (8600 ft.) usually doesn't bother me past a couple of days of congestion or dry mouth, but I did walk around quite a bit the day before so could have exerted myself early on more than usual.  Could have been Covid?  I did travel on Saturday (wore a mask on the plane even though most others didn't) and was shaking a few hands at the restaurant Sunday and didn't think to disinfect after.

I went to a nearby pharmacy and talked to the lady there.  She gave me something for general malestar (I think it was naproxen), and something for my stomach.  I also decided to get some Ivermectin just in case it was Covid.  I really just felt like maybe a good night's sleep would tell me which direction it was going to go.  Food issue or altitude then I should wake up ok.  Covid or flu or something, then I'll wake up still sick. 

After work I laid down on the couch for an hour, and when I got up I felt much worse.  Ugh.  Wasn't expecting that.  So I changed into sweats and a sweatshirt, popped the Ivermectin, turned the space heater up full blast, and got into bed.  It was only 6pm but I was turning in for the night.  Long evening/night of sleeping, waking, being hot, sweating, blankets, no blankets.  I got up once to turn the heater off, and ended up getting in a final sleep from 2am to 6am when my alarm went off.  Got up out of bed this morning and felt fine.  Maybe slightly tired/woozy, but don't feel sick.  Thank goodness.

Went out yesterday evening for "Gringo Tuesday," a weekly event at a bar down in Zona T (one of the principal bar/restaurant districts in Bogota).  I only heard about it recently so this was my first time going.  It's ostensibly a language exchange followed by an "international" party.  There are a lot of foreigners in Bogota, and not necessarily a lot going on on Tuesdays, so it's got quite a pull.  From 6-8pm they have all these tables set up, each one a different language and skill level.  You pick which one you want to sit at and so either help people learn/practice your language or you learn/practice speaking another language.  Then at 8pm they clear the tables out and start the rumba.

I got there at 7pm, the nice girls at the front explained everything to me, and I went in and walked around.  The place was packed, and I really didn't know what to do or where to sit, so I just started looking for tables that had cute chicas and empty spaces (there were none).  In the end I bumped into a Canadian guy looking for the bathroom, and we started talking.  He had been here for 4 days and was leaving in a few more days for Cali and Medellin.  So we went walking over to the bar together and about that time a couple of people got up from an intermediate Spanish table right in front of us, and the two "older" ladies (I'm sure both younger than me) sitting there grabbed us to sit down.  We talked for a while in English and Spanish, a little while later a couple of younger guys from Colorado sat down with us, and then a girl from Minnesota.  A little bit after that a Colombian guy who knew the girl came over and I talked with him for a bit.  It was all pretty fun until that last guy told me that his boyfriend was American :oldunsure: .  At 8pm they cleared the tables and started the music and everyone started dancing.  I hung out until about 9:45pm then headed home.  Didn't make any chica connections but all-in-all it was a good time and definitely something good to do on Tuesdays while I'm here. 

That sounds pretty cool. were there other language tables besides English  and Spanish?  If so, which ones?
Yeah, it's a great idea and has been running successfully for several years.  The bar is split into several sections and all of them were packed.  When I got there, the girls up front told me there were six languages set up, but I only remember seeing five (Spanish, English, German, French, Portuguese).

Went over to a small Carulla (a nice grocery store chain) nearby to look for some Ensure (I drink protein drinks at home and that's the only thing I can find here that's similar to what I drink).  I saw at the little pharmacy stand that they had a can, so I asked the lady if they had it in bottles.  She went in the back and found a 4-pack of the ready-made stuff and I told her I'd like two of them.  She looked and said she didn't have another but she could look to see if she could find one and started typing on the computer.  She found what she was looking for and wrote some numbers down on a piece of paper and said wait here and I'll go get it.  So I'm thinking she's going in the back or something, and next thing I know she goes running out the front of the grocery store and down the block.  About 8-10 minutes later she shows back up with another 4-pack.  I asked where she went and she said she went over to the Exito, that they have a stand over there as well and they had one.  I said you didn't have to do that, I would have just bought the one!  And she just said don't worry :lol: .

So there's this chica, 25-year old Lizeth, that I've been talking to for a little over 2 years.  She lives in Sincelejo, which is on the coast a bit out of the way of my normal destinations (another 2 hours past Cartagena from Barranquilla).  Tall and gorgeous, really hot.  The first 6 months we talked a lot, sometimes quite flirtatiously.  That was the 2020 pandemic year and when I finally went to Cartagena in November that year, she was working and couldn't come see me, etc. etc.  So things cooled down and she seemed to lose interest.  Since then we pretty much just say hello occasionally.  When I went to the coast these last two times she was busy going back and forth to Bogota for work, and we didn't really didn't even talk about trying to get together.

Since I decided to go to Bogota I started writing to her a little more often telling her I was going to be here and maybe we could get together, and she just said maybe.  I wrote to her the day before I got here and no reply.  I've been posting pics and stuff since I got here and a couple of days ago she wrote to me and said that she's back working in Sincelejo :rolleyes: .  I said I guess we're never going to cross paths.  Today she wrote and asked me how things were going, where all I had gone, if it was cold, where I was staying and who with, a restaurant I should try out, how long I was going to be here, etc.  Then she said she's coming to Bogota next week to deliver some documents for a potential job and maybe we could see each other :excited: .

Then she said she just has an inconvenience that she was all ready to buy her ticket but when she went to get it the price had gone up $20.  I said oh I hate it when that happens :rolleyes: .  She said yeah, so I don't know what I'm going to do, I already have my hotel reservations, etc.  I said well how many days are you going to be here, if it's a couple of nights you can stay at my place since I have two bedrooms.  She said that's very sweet but I've already paid for the hotel so there's no issue there, but I can accompany you one night (with a smiley face).  I'm not sure if she was implying anything there or not, because she might have just been talking about accompanying me out.  Though in that context we were talking about places to stay the night.  So I just said yes of course.  She said I don't know what I'm going to do about the ticket, everything else is paid, how infuriating.  I had already sniffed out the :fishing: first thing, not that it's hard to do.  And not that it was a lot, I just can't stand these girls asking for money.  But I've been telling myself lately that I need to go with the flow more, take some more chances, not get so hung up on what's appropriate or not, and maybe go out on a limb or two (especially for a real hottie).  So I offered to help her out with the rest of the money, and she accepted.  No telling what will happen, if I'll see her or not, if I do that anything will happen, etc. but $20 is well worth the chance lol.

Anyway I hope it works out to whatever the criteria is for me to share her pics so I can watch you guys :jawdrop: lol.

So we have a little intrigue going on regarding Lizeth.  She seems to travel a lot and is always posting beach pics, party pics, boat pics, stylish pics in some fancy place, etc.  She went to Cancun last month.  Like I've mentioned before, usually all that means that guys are involved somewhere, whether friends or otherwise.  But that's fine, all the girls here are trying to live their best life.  And she works too, so whatever.

She told me she was staying 10 days in Bogota and told me the hotel where she was going to be.  I looked it up and depending on if I found the right one, what kind of deal, etc. it looks like it's about $25/night.  So she travels quite a bit, just went to Cancun, staying for 10 days at $25/night, and needs to ask me for $20?  Doesn't add up.  And I'm not sure why she's going to be here for 10 days if she's just bringing documents for a job.

So after I posted my update last night, I went to her Instagram (I was thinking about her pics after posting), and I couldn't find it.  I went to my followers/following and still nothing.  I wrote to her and asked what happened to her Instagram and she said she closed it temporarily.  I asked if everything was ok and she said yeah todo bien.  It was still on my mind this morning so I asked a buddy of mine to pull it up and there it was.  I looked again and nothing for me.  We've followed each other for like a year so why would she suddenly block me?

Like I've mentioned before, I'm an engineer so I think I tend to be more process oriented than results oriented.  So everything these chicas say and do I'm always looking for it to add up.  That's just the way my brain works, always trying to connect the dots.  Plus I don't trust any of them so I just like to have all the cards in front of me.  But I'm trying to be better about that kind of thing when it comes to Colombia and chicas.  None of it is that big a deal, she can do what she wants, and if the results go my way then that's what counts.

But why would she block me from her Instagram...? 🤔

You better watch the tinder swindler. :oldunsure:

i still have no idea how you put up with this crap.  I’ve seen pics, so there is some reward, I just don’t have the patience. :lmao:

speaking of pics….where are they?

You better watch the tinder swindler. :oldunsure:

i still have no idea how you put up with this crap.  I’ve seen pics, so there is some reward, I just don’t have the patience. :lmao:

speaking of pics….where are they?
I've got nothing to post yet :shrug: .  I've been here almost a week and haven't been on any dates or anything yet.  Didn't quite hit the ground running like last time.

I did take a couple of great videos of the hotel/apartment complex, but they were too big for imgur.  Maybe I'll try to chop them up this weekend.  I'll see what I can come up with.

I've got a date lined up tomorrow afternoon with 23-year old Nasli.  We've been talking for a few weeks, she's cute and we get along pretty well.  In one of our early conversations she asked me what vice I have and I said collagen (if you guys remember back to that euphemism).  I asked her what hers was and she said donating collagen  :excited: .  So this has potential.

So we have a little intrigue going on regarding Lizeth.  She seems to travel a lot and is always posting beach pics, party pics, boat pics, stylish pics in some fancy place, etc.  She went to Cancun last month.  Like I've mentioned before, usually all that means that guys are involved somewhere, whether friends or otherwise.  But that's fine, all the girls here are trying to live their best life.  And she works too, so whatever.

She told me she was staying 10 days in Bogota and told me the hotel where she was going to be.  I looked it up and depending on if I found the right one, what kind of deal, etc. it looks like it's about $25/night.  So she travels quite a bit, just went to Cancun, staying for 10 days at $25/night, and needs to ask me for $20?  Doesn't add up.  And I'm not sure why she's going to be here for 10 days if she's just bringing documents for a job.

So after I posted my update last night, I went to her Instagram (I was thinking about her pics after posting), and I couldn't find it.  I went to my followers/following and still nothing.  I wrote to her and asked what happened to her Instagram and she said she closed it temporarily.  I asked if everything was ok and she said yeah todo bien.  It was still on my mind this morning so I asked a buddy of mine to pull it up and there it was.  I looked again and nothing for me.  We've followed each other for like a year so why would she suddenly block me?

Like I've mentioned before, I'm an engineer so I think I tend to be more process oriented than results oriented.  So everything these chicas say and do I'm always looking for it to add up.  That's just the way my brain works, always trying to connect the dots.  Plus I don't trust any of them so I just like to have all the cards in front of me.  But I'm trying to be better about that kind of thing when it comes to Colombia and chicas.  None of it is that big a deal, she can do what she wants, and if the results go my way then that's what counts.

I echo DA RAIDERS comments. I wouldn't have the patience or energy for combing through the BS for the occasional  :pickle:

Be careful with this one, I like you and don't want you to lose any organs.  GL!

I echo DA RAIDERS comments. I wouldn't have the patience or energy for combing through the BS for the occasional  :pickle:

Be careful with this one, I like you and don't want you to lose any organs.  GL!
Thanks, but I don't see any reason to worry lol.  I've "known" her for over two years, we've talked a good bit, I've followed her posts, pics, etc. and haven't seen any cause for concern.  Right now I'm saying the chances are less than 50/50 that I see her.

Couldn't find a thing to do Friday, so I went to check out this nearby pizza place, Pizza Nostra (love the name!).  It was really good.  But man, Fridays here kill me.  I walked around looking for something interesting but didn't find anything, so came home dejected.

I was supposed to see Nasli at 3:15 Saturday afternoon after she got out of class.  It's usually a good idea to confirm with these girls, as their plans change with the breeze, so around 11am I sent her a message.  Tried again around 2:30pm and still nothing.  I ended up calling her at 3pm and she answered sounding half asleep or half dead.  She said that she'd had a bad headache all day and didn't go to class.  Me being me, I told her I'd been writing to her all day and she could have said something.  She apologized and I said it's ok I'm sorry to bother you while you're feeling bad, I'm going to go look for something to eat.  She told me to go eat something good, that she was going to go to sleep and maybe we could see each other that night.  I wasn't going to hold my breath.

There's a butcher shop nearby that I stopped in the other day.  I was just checking it out and the guy in there told me if I wanted I could pick out some meat and he would grill it up for me right out front.  So after I got off the phone with Nasli I went over there to take him up on it.  I picked out a 1 lb. tomahawk and he put it on the grill.  I sat out in the open air with the guy and talked with him while he cooked.  While I was waiting an older couple came by, an American guy who must have been in his 70s and his Colombian wife who looked to be maybe in her 60s.  I talked with them a while as well, and he said he'd been living down here for many years, staying in the same apartment complex where I am.  They left and while I was eating another guy came walking up and asked the cook in poor Spanish about the grill/food.  He turned out to be from England and had been in Bogota for 8 months, but was getting ready to leave Monday for Turkey.  We talked while I ate, and he went in and picked out a steak as well.  I finished and gave him my seat to eat his meal (just one stool outside) and we continued talking.  I have to say one of the most enjoyable things I've found while traveling is just meeting and talking with people at random.  My 1 lb. tomahawk, 2 small bottles of Coke, and a bottle of juice for the cook ran me $8.

Pics at the carneceria

I spent the evening and night trying to find something else to do, writing to all the chicas, but no dice.  Nasli wrote to me saying that she still felt bad but that maybe we could go to one of the nearby mountaintops on Sunday.  I told her I had planned an excursion early in the morning but would write to her when I got back.

Usually this means there's a guy she is committed to enough that he gets to be pissed if some gringo keeps posting thirsty emojis every time she posts a butt pic. No idea if that's the case, but that's first, obvious answer. 

That fishing for 20 bucks on top if blocking you, hmmmm, I'd be wary.

Just from reading, I would guess she has a main dude, but is willing to break off a little Dez when she's on the road.  

It might be straight transactional for her, or maybe she just wants to get a free meal on her night off.  If she's cool enough that you are cool with just her company for dinner, excellent. If not, I dunno if I would pursue 

There are a lot of things to see in the area outside of Bogota, most of which I haven't seen.  I recently found out about a big waterfall called Salto del Tequendama that's about an hour and a half or two hours ride from where I'm staying.  I'd already decided that I was going to go on Sunday and the weather looked to be as good a window as there would be.  I tried to find someone to go with me but didn't have any takers, so I mentioned it to the English guy at the butcher shop and he said he was in.  He was leaving Monday and wouldn't mind having one last adventure.

So Sunday morning we met up in front of my building at 8am, called an Uber, and took the ride out there.  It's kind of in the middle of nowhere without being quite in the middle of nowhere.  But it was very impressive.  We made our way down the muddy trail to get some good pics then went up to the rickety overlooks where local vendors serve food.  We ordered a few things (I stuck with empanadas as I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food) and sat and ate.  The lady kept coming over and checking on us and gave us a hard time about this or that, and told us she wanted us to bring a gift for her from our home countries the next time we come.  English dude got a phone call so he got up and took a walk.  The lady's teenage daughter came and sat down and started talking to me.  The whole family was there working the food stand, but it had cleared out a bit so I guess she had some free time.  I chatted with her a while and her mother would come back and forth and talk as well.  The people here are really great.  These were country folk just trying to get by day to day, and they were so pleasant and fun to talk to.  They wanted to know how old I was and both guessed mid-30s, so that made me like them even more.

English dude came back and we walked over to the nearby "museum" that's an old house/hotel that overlooks the falls.  Took some more pictures from there and then decided it was time to go.  There aren't really any Ubers out there waiting to pick people up so we had to wait for the bus to come by (that was one of the main reasons I had been looking for someone to go with me, because I knew I'd have to take the bus back and that always makes me nervous).  It was quite crowded but everyone there had their own transportation (mostly motorcycles or mountain bikes).  The lady working the traffic told us which bus to take, so we hopped on and took the long ride back to the city (much longer on the bus than the Uber on the way out).  We rode it all the way to the terminal then grabbed a taxi back to Unicentro.

Pics and video of Salto del Tequendama

Got back about 2-3pm and Nasli wrote to me asking about my trip out to the falls.  She said she felt better and that maybe we could see each other later.  I said ok let me know, and laid down to relax and go through the pics.  About 4pm she wrote and said that she and a friend were walking down on the septima (7th street).  On Sundays they close some streets and people walk and ride bikes and it's sort of a big deal here.  I hopped in the shower and then called her and asked how long they were going to be there.  She said hold on and I could here her talking to her friend.  She got back on and said how about if maybe we see each other tomorrow if I get out of class early? :rolleyes: .  Ok, that sounds fine.  I swear I must be the cleanest m'fer in Colombia.

Users who are viewing this thread