What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DH's 2012 Christmas buying guide *update for 2014 post 176* (1 Viewer)

Off topic, but I'm starting to get a baseball cards vibe from Legos. People are buying sets and hoarding them like they did with rookie cards when I was a kid.
One has actual value, and one doesn't. Says the guy with 15K worth of sealed Lego in his basement. Back on topic, I think that the Hobbit Lego will be huge hit this Christmas as the movie will drive sales.Just after Christmas, look out for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - LEGO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/followsclosely/
Here's how ahead of the curve I was. I used to try and make some coin off of the "hot" Xmas item. Tickle Me Elmo, Fubys, etc. In 2004 I thought for sure I had the next big thing. Harry Potter movies just started coming out, the books and the whole thing was at its peak and I read about Lego making a "must have" Hogwart's Castle set that would be limited in production (because it was so big and expensive.)So I pounced on 12 of these sets from various Walmarts whenever I could find one in October/November. Kept the receipts (I think they were $80 or $100 each, retail), so it was no risk. Thought for sure I would capitilize on the Harry Potter craze. December came, I put ads in the paper, Craigslist, all the usual places. Started at $200, lowered to $175, $150, even $125 the week before Christmas. A little action on eBay but nothing worth trying to pack and ship them out.

Sold none.

Meh. After the holiday's returned them to the Walmarts.

Then, the Lego craze started building to this.

Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic, but I'm starting to get a baseball cards vibe from Legos. People are buying sets and hoarding them like they did with rookie cards when I was a kid.
One has actual value, and one doesn't. Says the guy with 15K worth of sealed Lego in his basement. Back on topic, I think that the Hobbit Lego will be huge hit this Christmas as the movie will drive sales.Just after Christmas, look out for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - LEGO.

I meant more of a bubble effect, but yeah, you do have a point.As for the collection: :jawdrop:

how old does your kid need to be to play that skylander game? my oldest is 6 and Wiis all the time.
That's a perfect age for Skylanders. If he gets to a place that'd too difficult, you can just jump on and help him out. That's what I do. Also, the combat mode leads to great smack talk. My son and I were playing last night and we had a blast until he put out his 'unicorn of death' (Whirlwind looks like a blue unicorn) and totally rocked me. I need to level up my Trigger Happy and Slam Bamm. ;)

Leap pad 2 awesome reviews. the old version sold out everywhere last year. will the new version sell out? f it im getting it off amazon now.

Looking for some help.

I don't have any real close family so I usually adopt a family through some organization.

Just got the information on my family and the male is 11 years old and wears a XXXL size shirt already. I was a little taken aback. I obviously don't have a full story, but his parents are drug addicts and the kid and his sister live with their grandmother.

Anyway - I'd usually try to do whatever I could to buy the kids some cool clothes, toys, games, etc. But I almost feel implored to maybe do something that's NOT going to have him sitting around playing video games that he'd still appreciate. I was thinking Xbox Kinect with a fitness game or something but I also don't want to drop that kind of dough if it's just going to go to waste. That's a very big shirt size for an 11 year old. I almost thought it was a typo, it's not.

Besides the usual FFA jokes...what is tasteful, appropriate that doesn't fall into the category of something that he can use as an excuse to be lazy? I realize it's not my job to even think this way, but I'm trying to do the right thing here for him.

Thanks for the thoughts in advance.

The Lego Minecraft set is going on ebay for 60-80 bucks! Apparently it's hard to find. My wife had ordered this a month ago from amazon on the cheap. I am half tempted to eBay this sucker and face my wife's wraith later.

Looking for some help.I don't have any real close family so I usually adopt a family through some organization.Just got the information on my family and the male is 11 years old and wears a XXXL size shirt already. I was a little taken aback. I obviously don't have a full story, but his parents are drug addicts and the kid and his sister live with their grandmother.Anyway - I'd usually try to do whatever I could to buy the kids some cool clothes, toys, games, etc. But I almost feel implored to maybe do something that's NOT going to have him sitting around playing video games that he'd still appreciate. I was thinking Xbox Kinect with a fitness game or something but I also don't want to drop that kind of dough if it's just going to go to waste. That's a very big shirt size for an 11 year old. I almost thought it was a typo, it's not.Besides the usual FFA jokes...what is tasteful, appropriate that doesn't fall into the category of something that he can use as an excuse to be lazy? I realize it's not my job to even think this way, but I'm trying to do the right thing here for him.Thanks for the thoughts in advance.
Tough one here. You could set this kid on the right path with your gift but be totally undermined with the home life. The change has to come from the houseIf the kid had access to a pc @ home I'd say a nike fuel band would be "fun" for him but I doubt he has regular home access. I'd say ignore the XXL and get him something cool

The Lego Minecraft set is going on ebay for 60-80 bucks! Apparently it's hard to find. My wife had ordered this a month ago from amazon on the cheap. I am half tempted to eBay this sucker and face my wife's wraith later.
The Amazon reviews indicate it's a quick build. You'd be doing her a favor. :)

I am looking for ideas for 9 year old twin boys. I don't want something that has them sitting on their butts for hours. Maybe an axe and a cord of wood? TIA!

'SHIZNITTTT said:
I am looking for ideas for 9 year old twin boys. I don't want something that has them sitting on their butts for hours. Maybe an axe and a cord of wood? TIA!
Drums sets

'SHIZNITTTT said:
Remote control cars could be cool. I'm talking about the good outdoor type ones. Might be a little pricier but it will give them something to do outside. Maybe build ramps and stuff.And you can never go wrong with sports equipment.

'SHIZNITTTT said:
Remote control cars could be cool. I'm talking about the good outdoor type ones. Might be a little pricier but it will give them something to do outside. Maybe build ramps and stuff.And you can never go wrong with sports equipment.
thanks

'Jaysus said:
'SHIZNITTTT said:
Drums sets
do they make drum sets for a 1 or 2 year old? my 1 year old loves drumming. i set up little drum kits out of his toys like this.

4. Leap Pad Explorer/Tabeo Tablet. Yes, kids tablets are starting to become all the rage. Yeah, they are very weak, watered down tablets, but they work great for playing apps like most kids like to do. The Tabeo is great for setting up parental controls for internet use too (Leap Pad doesn't have wifi).
Which would you suggest?

4. Leap Pad Explorer/Tabeo Tablet. Yes, kids tablets are starting to become all the rage. Yeah, they are very weak, watered down tablets, but they work great for playing apps like most kids like to do. The Tabeo is great for setting up parental controls for internet use too (Leap Pad doesn't have wifi).
Which would you suggest?
My kids are still playing with the Leap Pad's they got for Christmas last year, but we don't have any iPads or anything. And from what I've seen the Tabeo's are getting bad reviews so far.

I meant more of a bubble effect, but yeah, you do have a point.As for the collection: :jawdrop:
That Lego blender is pretty cool!

Got one of these for adults? I'm horrible with gifts for the wife.
Anything in a Tiffany box. Seriously, buy some cheap(ish) keychain, get the box, and hit the Macy's jewelry section during a big sale and put in whatever she likes. I think that robin egg blue (yeah, I had to google the color) is the ultimate aphrodisiac to a woman. Doesn't matter what's inside, it's the blue that's been hardwired into their systems. Or, splurge on the actual thing, leave the gift receipt in the box and you'll be allowed to buy nothing else.
I wish this would work. My wife basically has the Tiffany's catalog memorized at this point. No way I could slip something by her. I got her engagement ring there a few years ago, so Tiffany's is sort of my default gift when I'm too lazy to even go to the store. I'd feel very lame doing it again because I've gotten her Tiffany or Coach stuff for a few years. Need something unique and non-designer to break the trend (and ideally help my wallet).
Oh, I was gonna suggest an "upgrade" from Coach, but that would only hurt the wallet in the long run. I am great at helping with handbags if you want. BTW, Skylanders Giants is my son's list this year. He received 4 Lego sets for his birthday and cannot stop talking about the game.

I have the leappad for my daughter and she loves it. She's still a little young for it so we will slowly buy her some games for it.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of Skylanders?
It's a first person game with levels you have to beat. Each skylander has a special power and the higher in the game you go, the more their power's evolve. If you are on a level and your character dies, you can switch to a new Skylander and finish the level. There are also certain areas where you need specific Skylanders to enter. There are some mini-games. My son is 8 and he loves it. He's getting the new portal owner's pack from my daughter for Christmas and getting 3 new Giants from his grandmother.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of Skylanders?
It's a first person game with levels you have to beat. Each skylander has a special power and the higher in the game you go, the more their power's evolve. If you are on a level and your character dies, you can switch to a new Skylander and finish the level. There are also certain areas where you need specific Skylanders to enter. There are some mini-games. My son is 8 and he loves it. He's getting the new portal owner's pack from my daughter for Christmas and getting 3 new Giants from his grandmother.
Thank you!

Just got back from the store. I picked up 2 of the leap pad tablet things. Explorer 2s.

Anyone know anything about them. They were flying off the shelf. Girl working there said try come in and sell right away. Got the disney princess version for my daughter and the kids bob music one for my son.

Now I need to research. Figured I'd rather have them and return then miss out.

Just got back from the store. I picked up 2 of the leap pad tablet things. Explorer 2s. Anyone know anything about them. They were flying off the shelf. Girl working there said try come in and sell right away. Got the disney princess version for my daughter and the kids bob music one for my son. Now I need to research. Figured I'd rather have them and return then miss out.
This think is like an ipad for kids. They can do art, make cartoons, take pictures and movies. You can also track their progress from the leappad itself. You will need to hook it up to a computer and download the leapfrog connect program. Once you do, you can add stuff to it just like an ipod. Do a search on the internet for free game downloads. And also make sure you look at the boxes when buy cartridges for this as some are books, some are games, etc etc. You can also buy credit for game downloads (similar to itunes gift cards) from amazon for like $13 for $20 cards.

Also if any of you are looking for a Wii U, they have them on preorder from Target.com as of this morning 11/8. Don't know if they have sold out yet or not.

Drums sets
do they make drum sets for a 1 or 2 year old? my 1 year old loves drumming. i set up little drum kits out of his toys like this.
These are small. Just talk to the wife before buying them, I'm sure they are loud.
Santa got that for my 2 year old last year. I posted a video of him playing it in a thread here last yearThanks jhuber. Will definitely check out the web. Sounds like your kids like it. Is the 4GB oK. I liked that the other brand was up to 32 with a card

do the old skylanders figures do anything in the new giants game?

and is it going to be hard to find the game, or just particular figures?

Drums sets
My now 5yo did the same thing when he was that age- boxes, pots, whatever- he'd start banging on them. We got him THIS and he loved it, while still incorporating found objects into the overall drum "set". It's loud enough for him to enjoy, but not loud enough to annoy the parents. He banged the #### out of it for 2 years and basically tore it to hell, so we got him another one that his baby sister is now using. I'm a big fan of this product.

eta: his grandma got him a cheaper version of what somebody else posted above... lasted about 2 hours between him and his cousins and then disintegrated.

Looking for some help.I don't have any real close family so I usually adopt a family through some organization.Just got the information on my family and the male is 11 years old and wears a XXXL size shirt already. I was a little taken aback. I obviously don't have a full story, but his parents are drug addicts and the kid and his sister live with their grandmother.Anyway - I'd usually try to do whatever I could to buy the kids some cool clothes, toys, games, etc. But I almost feel implored to maybe do something that's NOT going to have him sitting around playing video games that he'd still appreciate. I was thinking Xbox Kinect with a fitness game or something but I also don't want to drop that kind of dough if it's just going to go to waste. That's a very big shirt size for an 11 year old. I almost thought it was a typo, it's not.Besides the usual FFA jokes...what is tasteful, appropriate that doesn't fall into the category of something that he can use as an excuse to be lazy? I realize it's not my job to even think this way, but I'm trying to do the right thing here for him.Thanks for the thoughts in advance.
That scooter thing might be a subtle way of telling him to go outside.

Just an FYI, listen to Deranged Hermit when he says that Doc McStuffins doll will be a pain the ### to get. If your daughter, neice, etc. wants this and you see it at Toys r us or somewhere else, grab it as soon as you see it. I had to call all over town for this stupid thing and found it at a Toys r us by chance and they had 2 left. Someone bought 28 of these things right before I got there.

do the old skylanders figures do anything in the new giants game?and is it going to be hard to find the game, or just particular figures?
The old skylanders are compatible with the new game, the new skylanders are not compatible with the old game. Each character has icons on it showing which game it will work with.The game shouldn't be hard to get but the figures will likely be difficult to find.

Ok wife was thinking about an Ipad or Kindle HD for the boys. I am sure that their is educational stuff for both devices. So my question is which one of these Devices would be better for 3rd graders?

Ok wife was thinking about an Ipad or Kindle HD for the boys. I am sure that their is educational stuff for both devices. So my question is which one of these Devices would be better for 3rd graders?
If price is not an issue, I would say the ipad (for any age group)

Mini? or Full Version? And, thanks for the input.
We have a full size iPad &1st gen 7" Fire . I love the size of the Fire but the responsiveness of the iPad much better. For a 3rd grader I'd buy the $159 Fire instead of the $199 Fire HD

I have not seen the mini yet but I think that would probably be perfect. Like helltoupe, I have both and the fire is hardly ever used

We have a full size iPad &1st gen 7" Fire . I love the size of the Fire but the responsiveness of the iPad much better. For a 3rd grader I'd buy the $159 Fire instead of the $199 Fire HD
Thanks.

Small update: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle stuff is crazy popular. After each day, that section of the aisle looks like turtle eating locusts went through there. The 'sewer lair' literally lasts 20 minutes each morning and are sold out (we usually get 10 per truck).

The Doc McStuffins doll is also insanely popular. We had a dude try to buy our whole stock only to be limited to three when he got to the checkout. He got pissed, whipped out his phone, and tried to order the rest for 'in store pickup' only to be cancelled by the manager right in front of him claiming 'we ran out'. :lmao:

The Wii U wasn't nearly as popular as I thought it would be. We had 32 to sell (rest were preorders) and the tickets we were giving out lasted until 7:30. That was unheard of when the Wii dropped. Those tickets would be gone three hours before we opened. I think people are taking all the negative reviews to heart. I know I want nothing to do with it. Even our Nintendo rep said she was waiting until summer when they 'have the bugs worked out'. Apparently they still don't have a way to synch more than one of those touch pad thingies to the machine.

Users who are viewing this thread