What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did the commish overreact with this ruling? (1 Viewer)

Four Horsemen

Footballguy
[SIZE=10.5pt]First, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. If so, please point me to correct forum.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]14- team league that's built around the workplace. It's serious and very competitive. Not too much turnover but every couple of years we have a vacancy.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]One of the rules is that when you name a player during the draft, he's yours. You can't name a player and then go, "wait a minute.... I changed my mind, I'll take so-and-so instead."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]It's the middle of the last round and new owner goes, I'll take Jeff Cumberland, at least that's what I remember him saying. Everybody is scrambling trying to find the name, including the guy running the stickers and the guy inputting players in the computer. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Finally, the commish asks who the guy is.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]New owner, starts laughing and goes, "It's a member of the Washington Generals. I want Zach Ertz/Eagles."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Commish goes, "You forfeit the pick."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]New owner starts going with, "Oh, come on, it's a joke."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Commish reminds the room about the rule that once you announce the player name it's official. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]A couple of guys said we should cut the newbie some slack. Commish and a couple of other guys said, "It's a serious league and we have to enforce the rules."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thoughts?[/SIZE]

Uh, well the only problem with the story is that Jeff Cumberland does exist and he plays tight end for the New York Jets. I do, however, understand how the owner confused the Jets with a ragtag group of perennial punching bags.

First, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. If so, please point me to correct forum.

14- team league that's built around the workplace. It's serious and very competitive. Not too much turnover but every couple of years we have a vacancy.

One of the rules is that when you name a player during the draft, he's yours. You can't name a player and then go, "wait a minute.... I changed my mind, I'll take so-and-so instead."

It's the middle of the last round and new owner goes, I'll take Jeff Cumberland, at least that's what I remember him saying. Everybody is scrambling trying to find the name, including the guy running the stickers and the guy inputting players in the computer.

Finally, the commish asks who the guy is.

New owner, starts laughing and goes, "It's a member of the Washington Generals. I want Zach Ertz/Eagles."

Commish goes, "You forfeit the pick."

New owner starts going with, "Oh, come on, it's a joke."

Commish reminds the room about the rule that once you announce the player name it's official.

A couple of guys said we should cut the newbie some slack. Commish and a couple of other guys said, "It's a serious league and we have to enforce the rules."

Thoughts?
You must be joking.

Uh, well the only problem with the story is that Jeff Cumberland does exist and he plays tight end for the New York Jets. I do, however, understand how the owner confused the Jets with a ragtag group of perennial punching bags.
I'm sure I'm remember the name wrong. But your response is actually funny unlike the guy that was drafting.

Your league sounds like it's not very fun.

And do you guys charge a real money fee for free agent pickups? Because otherwise who cares if you forfeit a last round pick?

Last edited by a moderator:
In one of my leagues, a guy drafted Mike Williams and didnt specify which Mike Williams. We killed him and buried his body under the poplar tree in my backyard. We take this serious.

So the pick never made it into the computer or onto the draft board, and nobody else had made a pick. It's the 18th round....and your commissioner wouldn't let the rookie change his pick?

No way I would want any part of that league. Just dumb.

In one of my leagues, a guy drafted Mike Williams and didnt specify which Mike Williams. We killed him and buried his body under the poplar tree in my backyard. We take this serious.
Right there with ya, few years ago a new guy took the Bears Adrian Peterson in the first round, so we fed his wife and three children to wild boars.

Edit: I will say the guy was an idiot for wasting everyone's time.

Right there with ya, few years ago a new guy took the Bears Adrian Peterson in the first round, so we fed his wife and three children to wild boars.

In the Commish's defense, I think this what annoyed him. It was the fact that the guy let everybody search for 30-45 seconds before he said it was a joke. I'm not saying the Commish was right, but this probably led to a bad moment he'd like to have over.

In the Commish's defense, I think this what annoyed him. It was the fact that the guy let everybody search for 30-45 seconds before he said it was a joke. I'm not saying the Commish was right, but this probably led to a bad moment he'd like to have over.
It held the draft up for 40 seconds? that's messed up.

People die everyday, I wouldn't even think twice about what you did to him.

Everyone researching it (assuming you were wrong and it wasn't Cumberland) is what makes it funny.

"I take Jeff CumberlandJUSTKIDDING" isn't very funny.

:lmao:

18th round and #1 owners still scrambling to find names and #2 don't know who Jeff Cumberland is (given the serious nature obviously of this league)

In person leagues aren't the fun they used to be. :shrug: Quit running my own a couple years ago when 2-3 guys continued to bail last second (or "forgot" payment day of draft).

:lmao:

18th round and #1 owners still scrambling to find names and #2 don't know who Jeff Cumberland is (given the serious nature obviously of this league)

In person leagues aren't the fun they used to be. :shrug: Quit running my own a couple years ago when 2-3 guys continued to bail last second (or "forgot" payment day of draft).
Yeah, when we get to the last couple of rounds, I don't give a crap about who other guys are taking. Firstly, that's because I wait to take my K and DEF dead last, but also because I just keep a few guys' names in my head and cross them off if picked. Why would I even bother crossing off someone that I don't even know since I obviously wasn't picking him anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread