What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (1 Viewer)

After going back last summer, we probably won't be going back until 2021, when we want to go for the 50th anniversary, coinciding with my daughter's graduation.  Hopefully, some of the Star Wars mania will have died down by that point.  To satiate our appetite until we can save up to go back, my wife and I and our 5 kids spent last Saturday night all on our Chromebooks doing Disney quizzes on Sporcle.  This one was my favorite, and humbled me a bit;  I didn't get as many as I thought I would.    https://www.sporcle.com/games/Alan/magic-kingdom-attractions

Was at AK yesterday.  I've never seen the place so busy.  I thought the "cold" weather and it being overcast might scare people away.  No such luck.  I have to say, the street food stuffs in AK is probably the best of all the street food stuffs.  That's all we've ever eaten while in AK, but somehow my wife got a reservation (day of) at Tusker House for dinner so we gave it a shot.  I wasn't impressed....not even a little bit.  Walking to dinner we passed Yake/Yeti and it smelled fantastic.  Is it much better than Tusker House?
Yes.  Yak & Yeti is awesome

Went to Magic Kingdom today. Here are some hot takes from someone who grew up going to Anaheim Disney. 

- Wait times are ridiculously long here. I assume this is somewhat of an off season being February and all. I’ve never had to wait 90 minutes for Pirates in Anaheim for example. Just ridiculous. You can do so much more at Anaheim Disney for your time. 

- Speaking of Pirates, how could they have butchered such a classic ride?  No peaceful bayou at the beginning. Only one drop and it was a pretty lame one at that.  The abrupt ending.  The whole ride felt rushed. 

- New mine train ride was not worth the 120 minute wait. Not even close.

- Fantasyland overall was a jumbled mess but I did really like the Beauty and the Beast and little mermaid areas. Very well done. 

- Small world. Another butchering. The indoor clock and queue area has none of the charm of the original. Where were the carved animal prunings?

- I do think Splash Mountain is better here in Orlando. Seemed longer with better animatronics and sitting in pairs was much more comfortable than the logs they have you sit on in Anaheim. 

- The park closed at 8 but a lot of the food/snack places closed at 6 which was weird and frustrating. 

I was kind of disappointed overall mainly because of the crowds and lines. Unless February is some weird high season time or something. Your dollar goes a lot further in Disneyland that’s for sure. 

Went to Magic Kingdom today. Here are some hot takes from someone who grew up going to Anaheim Disney. 

- Wait times are ridiculously long here. I assume this is somewhat of an off season being February and all. I’ve never had to wait 90 minutes for Pirates in Anaheim for example. Just ridiculous. You can do so much more at Anaheim Disney for your time. 

- Speaking of Pirates, how could they have butchered such a classic ride?  No peaceful bayou at the beginning. Only one drop and it was a pretty lame one at that.  The abrupt ending.  The whole ride felt rushed. 

- New mine train ride was not worth the 120 minute wait. Not even close.

- Fantasyland overall was a jumbled mess but I did really like the Beauty and the Beast and little mermaid areas. Very well done. 

- Small world. Another butchering. The indoor clock and queue area has none of the charm of the original. Where were the carved animal prunings?

- I do think Splash Mountain is better here in Orlando. Seemed longer with better animatronics and sitting in pairs was much more comfortable than the logs they have you sit on in Anaheim. 

- The park closed at 8 but a lot of the food/snack places closed at 6 which was weird and frustrating. 

I was kind of disappointed overall mainly because of the crowds and lines. Unless February is some weird high season time or something. Your dollar goes a lot further in Disneyland that’s for sure. 
Did you use fastpass?

Did you use fastpass?
Yes. Space, Thunder, and Splash Mountains. And thank god because all of those were 70-110 minute waits. Mine train was not available. 

Thats another dumb thing, limiting people to 3 FPs and making you reserve them so far in advance. Don’t know if that’s a Florida thing only or a new Disney policy, but it was very inefficient. 

Wife has been on me to go with our kids (5 y.o. twins)  to WDW for like a year. She finally broke me down and I agreed to go this May.

How horrible is this going to be for me and our bank account?

After going back last summer, we probably won't be going back until 2021, when we want to go for the 50th anniversary, coinciding with my daughter's graduation.  Hopefully, some of the Star Wars mania will have died down by that point.  To satiate our appetite until we can save up to go back, my wife and I and our 5 kids spent last Saturday night all on our Chromebooks doing Disney quizzes on Sporcle.  This one was my favorite, and humbled me a bit;  I didn't get as many as I thought I would.    https://www.sporcle.com/games/Alan/magic-kingdom-attractions
For each Disney or Pixar movie, a letter has been substituted to ruin the title. Can you click the correct letter which has been replaced?

Tried getting a FP today for Toy Story in April and they are not available. Apparently they won't be for April or May.

Great. Don't even know if it's worth going to that park at this point.

Tried getting a FP today for Toy Story in April and they are not available. Apparently they won't be for April or May.

it is quite possible the ride will be closed b/c they have to change the entrance from Pixar place side to the Toy Story land side. 

I like that ride, but don't get the fact thats its a major attraction.  I mean its fun, but not wait 2 hours kind of fun. 

Its like @Scoresman comparisons to Anaheim...we walked on and off that ride there at will.  Kind of got tired of it. 

- Wait times are ridiculously long here. I assume this is somewhat of an off season being February and all. I’ve never had to wait 90 minutes for Pirates in Anaheim for example. Just ridiculous. You can do so much more at Anaheim Disney for your time.  its amazing how there is no 'slow' time at WDW anymore. I've also read that they have reduced staff during certain slower times recently to save money and that results in longer wait times. Plus the addition of FP to rides like Pirates have really messed with the standby wait times.  

- Speaking of Pirates, how could they have butchered such a classic ride?  No peaceful bayou at the beginning. Only one drop and it was a pretty lame one at that.  The abrupt ending.  The whole ride felt rushed. Agreed. Pirates in DL is def better....love floating past Blue Bayou

- New mine train ride was not worth the 120 minute wait. Not even close. Agreed....its a good ride and one of the few kid coasters worth it for adults. But the wait is ridiculous 

- The park closed at 8 but a lot of the food/snack places closed at 6 which was weird and frustrating. There was a private DVC event last night. It is getting more and more regular that they are closing parks down for events. I'm a DVC member so I like it (even though I can never do them), but I can imagine how frustrating it would be for an average guest. IDK why the food places closed so early. 

I like that ride, but don't get the fact thats its a major attraction.  I mean its fun, but not wait 2 hours kind of fun. 

Its like @Scoresman comparisons to Anaheim...we walked on and off that ride there at will.  Kind of got tired of it. 
It sucks that it was a paid event, but one trip we did the Early morning magic at the Studios where you got into the park 1 1/2 hours early. There was only 60 people there and they had Star tours and TSMM open to ride. ST we had to ride and then go back through the line. But TSMM, we got to the end and I gave the CM the old spinning finger sign and he was like "cool with me' We rode it 4 times w/o getting off. It was great b/c we didn't need to do it the rest of the trip. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife has been on me to go with our kids (5 y.o. twins)  to WDW for like a year. She finally broke me down and I agreed to go this May.

There is a lot of great info in this thread, but most of it is personal preference.  I would recommend this book.  Although I booked my trip through AAA before I bought it, there is a lot of info on how to save money.  

This is written by the Touring Plans site people.

Is the Toy Story ride the one where you just shoot at screens?  If so, it doesn't sound interesting to me at all.

I think the Toy Story Mania ride is a blast. Whole family loves it. Maybe not 2 hour wait fun. But what ride anywhere is?!?

Plus, with the FP, it wasn't a 2 hour wait.

Bummed it will be closed.

Welcome to the club. 

#1 question is where do you want to stay and how long. That will go a long way to determine how much of a dent it puts in your wallet. If staying on property, there are a lot of benefits, but they cost more then staying off site. You need to weigh the differences. 

Some of the bennies for staying on site:
• Free transportation to and from the airport (MCO) called magical express
• Free transportation around property via bus system, boats and monorail
• Eligible for the dining plan where as you buy a pre-paid package for your food and snacks
• Fastpass window opens at 60 days from check in vs 30 for off site guests. 
• Anything bought in the parks can be shipped back to your resort. 
• Magic bands: Free bracelets that have digital chips in them that control your room entry, park entry, purchases and other guest services. means you don't need to carry much cash around with you. 

Things to consider when staying off site:
• renting a car
• paying for parking at the parks
• not as easy to leave mid day and come back (got to get in your car and drive)
• some hotels have shuttles but they operate on a schedule

WDW has 3 classes of hotels:
•Deluxe: most expensive, closest to the theme parks, often within walking distance, more dining and amenity options. Rooms usually larger. 
• Moderate: middle class, close to parks but would still need transportation. Good sized rooms but these are generally in separate buildings so there is no central 'hotel' lobby. 
• Value: these are the cheapest. Generally furthest from parks and are more spread out, so you will have a few bus station stops within resort. No sit down dining option, only quick service type. 

all of them will have great themed pools and activities, some better then others but overall its a wash. 

When traveling with very young kids, it is important to go at their schedule. Take mid-day breaks and swim or rest. I guess you will still be in strollers. I recommend 2 smaller strollers over 1 double just b/c of size and portably. You need to fold up the stroller on the bus so consider the size and weight. Plus 2 people can bob and move easier then 1 with a double when the crowds are heavy. You do not need to fold them up on boats or monorail.

Grab fastpasses. You get 3 FP's a day. FP's are basically ride reservations whereas you can pick 3 rides and at a certain time, go through a special line that is faster then the normal standby one. Once you use your 3, you can book a 4th and then a 5th etc.

With kids that young, you will be doing 90% kid friendly rides. These lines generally move pretty fast but grab a FPs anyway. And while this is primarily about the kids, i recommend you and your wife have some fun and grab a FP for an adult ride too. Most rides offer a "Rider swap" pass whereas you see a CM at the ride entrance and ask for one. They give your wife a special pass and then she goes and watches the kids while you get in line. Once you are done, you go watch the kids and she takes ther pass and can enter through the FP line for that ride giving her a shorter wait. It sucks that you have to ride separate, but at least you get to ride.

There are delivery services that will deliver groceries to your resort for a small fee. Garden grocer is one of the best. Look into it and it will save you from having to pack lots of snacks, food and other needs in your luggage. They will deliver to bell services the day you check in and all the resorts will have refrigerators to store milk and other cold food deliveries. 

Everyone will need their own identity on the Disney web site, even the kids. This way you can make your fast passes b/c each person riding will need their own FP reservation. Download the MyDisneyExperience app and that will be your main gateway while there. You can check wait times, modify fast passes and order quick service meals right from there. 

I highly recommend character dining with kids that age. It is the best way to have solid character interactions w/o taking up park time. There are many around property. I mean you gotta eat right...might as well knock out some character photos while you are at it. 

feel free to ask any other questions..lots of helpful, experienced peeps here .

Starting to think about our next trip down (likely December).  Anyone stay at the Contemporary recently and if so what was your experience?  Also, we are a family of five so need to do some sort of connecting room or a Villa and was wondering if anyone had any experience around staying on resort with need for multiple rooms.  Leaning towards spending the extra money to be in Deluxe resort.

We have stayed at Animal Kingdom (loved it) and Beach club (mixed feelings on it as loved pool and location but rest of experience wasn't great).  

Thanks 

Starting to think about our next trip down (likely December).  Anyone stay at the Contemporary recently and if so what was your experience?  Also, we are a family of five so need to do some sort of connecting room or a Villa and was wondering if anyone had any experience around staying on resort with need for multiple rooms.  Leaning towards spending the extra money to be in Deluxe resort.

We have stayed at Animal Kingdom (loved it) and Beach club (mixed feelings on it as loved pool and location but rest of experience wasn't great).  

Thanks 
Love the Contemporary.  If your crew spends a lot of time at MK there really is no better option.  I think you can cram 5 people in a room there.  2 beds and a sofa in every room I think. 

Thanks 
if you need extra space, look into renting DVC points. The resort literally right next door to the Contemporary is Bay Lake Tower and you can get 1, 2 or 3 bedroom suites with full kitchens, multiple bathrooms and laundry machines right in the room. And it generally will work out cheaper then paying rack rate. 

@AcerFC is doing this for his next trip, he might be able to give you pointers on what to do. 

What didn't you like about the beach club? thats our resort for our next trip, and our 1st time staying there. 

Is the Toy Story ride the one where you just shoot at screens?  If so, it doesn't sound interesting to me at all.
It’s a carnival style ride where you “shoot” at the screen and collect points while your car moves through the ride.  It’s has the aspect of competition and being a part of the ride which makes it fairly unique as a ride at Disney.  It’s worth doing at least once just to see the queue which is themed with classic toys and games (Candyland, Twister, Lincoln logs, etc..).  The only reason I would skip it is if any of you get motion sickness - it’s not close to tea cups bad but can cause some people to get sick.  For our family it’s a Have to See attraction at least once per trip.  We usually ride multiple times per trip as we like to compete for high score.  

wlwiles said:
24/25 2:58, but I misread the rules and thought you were supposed to click the letter that was wrong, not the correct letter that was removed
2:29 but I missed one - wasn’t familiar with Oliver and Company at all.

if you need extra space, look into renting DVC points. The resort literally right next door to the Contemporary is Bay Lake Tower and you can get 1, 2 or 3 bedroom suites with full kitchens, multiple bathrooms and laundry machines right in the room. And it generally will work out cheaper then paying rack rate. 

@AcerFC is doing this for his next trip, he might be able to give you pointers on what to do. 

What didn't you like about the beach club? thats our resort for our next trip, and our 1st time staying there. 
Thanks for the input but do I need to join DVC to do the point thing?  We go once every couple of years and don't plan think it is worth joining if that is our plan.

We went about 3 years ago and felt the resort was run down. In addition, we saw the wrong type of mouse in the hallways outside of our room.  It just didn't feel like a deluxe/luxury resort especially given the costs.  I do realize you are paying for location and walking distance to Epcot was awesome.  The pool was also fantastic as well but didn't make up for the room feeling like a budget hilton.  When we stayed at Animal Kingdom it was overall a better experience.    

ETA - my prior experience at Beach Club is documented some where in this huge thread but good luck finding it.  Nevermind here it is thanks to the power of google - https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/217533-disney-vacation/?page=120#comment-16302815

Thanks for the input but do I need to join DVC to do the point thing?  We go once every couple of years and don't plan think it is worth joining if that is our plan.

We went about 3 years ago and felt the resort was run down. In addition, we saw the wrong type of mouse in the hallways outside of our room.  It just didn't feel like a deluxe/luxury resort especially given the costs.  I do realize you are paying for location and walking distance to Epcot was awesome.  The pool was also fantastic as well but didn't make up for the room feeling like a budget hilton.  When we stayed at Animal Kingdom it was overall a better experience.    

ETA - my prior experience at Beach Club is documented some where in this huge thread but good luck finding it.  Nevermind here it is thanks to the power of google - https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/217533-disney-vacation/?page=120#comment-16302815
No, you do not need to become a member of anything. You are simply renting someone elses points. They are making money off you, but it still saves a ton.

We used this site https://www.dvcrequest.com/

You decide what hotel you want and what days. They give you the cost. Then they book it for you through the owners of the points. Everything goes in your name. It was painless and easy. Only issue might be if you want to get the meal plan. You will have to do one of two things before 30 days of being there. Either give the people your credit card info (who does that?) or buy enough Disney gift cards to cover the meal plan and give them those numbers. 

We saved a ton of money. I can not remember exactly, but it was a lot. Let me see if I can go back and find the numbers in my desk

yea, as Acer said, DVC members get a certain amount of points per year and if they can't use them, they will rent them out. That link he used is a company that specializes in the transaction: he buys them from the DVC owner at one cost and then resells them to others. Its really is a great deal that not many people know about. 

crazy story about the Beach club...sorry to hear about that. Thee mouse situation is completely nuts!!   I think i read that the resort went through a complete refurbishment last year--like a gut job, new everything. So hopefully that changes things. Thanks for the input.   

There is a lot of great info in this thread, but most of it is personal preference.  I would recommend this book.  Although I booked my trip through AAA before I bought it, there is a lot of info on how to save money.  

This is written by the Touring Plans site people.
Admittedly I don’t bring much to the table in this thread other than my observations.  I go every couple of years to appease Mrs. O (no kids either), but generally avoid Orlando as much as I can. Guides are good for budgeting for sure.

glvsav37 said:
yea, as Acer said, DVC members get a certain amount of points per year and if they can't use them, they will rent them out. That link he used is a company that specializes in the transaction: he buys them from the DVC owner at one cost and then resells them to others. Its really is a great deal that not many people know about. 

crazy story about the Beach club...sorry to hear about that. Thee mouse situation is completely nuts!!   I think i read that the resort went through a complete refurbishment last year--like a gut job, new everything. So hopefully that changes things. Thanks for the input.   
Yeah, read that as well about a reno so hopefully it is improved.  Either way our trip was still great and I am certain yours will be as well.  

We had some friends stay at the Beach Club recently, they loved it.  Almost considered changing our reservation.  I’ll wait for @glvsav37 summer review of the place.  

Juat saw on Twitter ticket prices went up. Glad I got in on that platinum AP last Dec.  it’s not a crushing increase...but dang

Single Day Park Tickets

The Magic Kingdom

Value – $107 to $109

Regular – $115 to $119

Peak – $124 to $129

Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Value – $99 to $102

Regular – $107 to $114

Peak – $119 to $122

Park Hopper Option

Value – $162 to $164

Regular – $170 to $174

Peak – $174 to $184

Hearing some interesting rumors about Be Our Guest. I know both myself and @AcerFC are having trouble getting reservations for July. While nothing official, sources are saying that the restaurant may be going under renovations during that time, possibly lasting until December. However, it is a rather new restaurant and it is odd that it would need a renno so quickly. I am hearing that it is mostly kitchen upgrades. Why? Some are saying that due to it's insane popularity, they are considering making it a "Signature" dining experience that carries a 2-credit meal plan cost. By doing this, they would expect demand to drop enough to make it easier to book for those who wouldnt mind spending 2 credits. The kitchen renno would be to upgrade the food and prep to make it 2 credit worthy. 

There is history here, Le Cellier in Canada was a 1 credit meal when it first opened and demand was insane. It is still tough to book, but much easier then years ago. 

Edit for clarity: People have been able to make lunch and breakfast ADRs at BOG b/c they do not req the full kitchen. No one (that I have heard of) has been able to make dinner ADRs because of this. 

Funny you just posted that. I just reserved a breakfast for BOG. Still holding the lunch one but breakfast menu looks better than lunch for my family. 

Still trying for a dinner but no luck. 

Funny you just posted that. I just reserved a breakfast for BOG. Still holding the lunch one but breakfast menu looks better than lunch for my family. 

Still trying for a dinner but no luck. 
Yes, Breakfast and lunch are open for booking b/c the supposed upgrades are to the main kitchen. And being B & L are quick serv meals, they don't need to use the whole kitchen for those . 

Yes, Breakfast and lunch are open for booking b/c the supposed upgrades are to the main kitchen. And being B & L are quick serv meals, they don't need to use the whole kitchen for those . 
What do you mean by quick serve?  Is it considered "counter service" for the meal plan?

Users who are viewing this thread