What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ditching Cable- Teach me (1 Viewer)

Chadstroma

Footballguy
My cable/internet bill is ridiculous with XFinity. We don't have any movie channels (HBO or whatever) but I have whatever package has the few channels my wife and I care about and pretty fast internet speed as I work from home and need to make sure that is always going at high speeds even if my wife and kids are all streaming stuff or playing games. My current download speed is 425 mbps and 115 mbps upload via testing. By the way, I have no idea what that means but it says it is 'very fast'.

My kids almost exclusively watch either Youtube or one of the streaming services we currently have (Netflix, Disney + and Prime)

My wife watching nearly exclusively Hallmark Channel :-)x) with some cooking stuff thrown in here and there. As long as she had Hallmark, she would be happy.

I watch mostly football (NFL and some college) and college basketball with some NBA or MLB sporadically thrown in (but wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it). I would definitely want access to Olympics every two years when they are on. I like history and leaning towards military history so the channels that have that stuff may get my attention. I don't watch much news but if I do it is generally BBC or CNBC, sometimes Fox Business.

Occasionally there are shows on the networks that we watch here and there so I would want access to the local channels for weather watch stuff too.

So, I was thinking.... time to kill what I have and look at alternatives versus paying for 400 channels that I never watch at all and then a dozen we do while the family spends most of it's watching time on streaming services and youtube.

First, thing is the internet. I did some poking around and it seems like most of the internet options are not hard wired stuff but on phone data which I assume is not as fast? Also, I did talk to the AT&T guy when we switched our phones (saving a significant amount of money) about their internet but I don't think that is an option at all because if their network goes down, I would be screwed as my phone and internet would be down. I must have speed and reliability. What are good options for internet and how do I find them for my area? Is there a good hard wired alternative to XFinity? Are the phone internet just as good? Should I stick with XFinity and see how much just internet would be?

Second, once I got the internet figured out then what do I do for access? I think Hulu or Sling get me access to the local channels and more, right? Then add in maybe the NFL+ and Hallmark streaming and might as well do Max or other streaming that would easier to spend on since we weren't spending so much on cable. What would be the recommendations of setting that all up and which things to do and not do? The Hallmark streaming is not negotiable, that is all my wife cares about so as long as I have access to that or just do their streaming. I would like to see ALL the Raider games versus trying to find pirate channels that I can see them when they are not on national TV (which is a lot).

I am not very tech savvy though I am also not a complete tech moron but figuring this all out seems like a big job and something I really need to get advice, guidance and coaching on. Please help.

regardless of changes to internet provider, there are free trials for the live services. they should have channel lineups (and monthly prices) on their homepage. play with those before making a choice..

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
Netflix
hbomax (or whatever they are calling it now)
prime
Disney +
peacock
Roku channel (free)

all less than DIRECTV combined (was with them since 95-20)

Last edited:
Not sure where you live - but we have an antenna for HD local channels.

We have a fiberoptic provider for internet.

The main TV is hardwired into the router, but everything else is just wifi, and it works fine.

regardless of changes to internet provider, there are free trials for the live services. they should have channel lineups (and monthly prices) on their homepage. play with those before making a choice..

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
netflix
hbomax (or whatever they are calling it
prime
disney +
peacock
roku channel (free)

all less than Directv combined (was with them since 95-20)
I am familiar (at least hearing about them) all except YTTV. What is that?

What exactly does Hulu have?

Oh and we sort of have Paramount + by sharing access code.

ETA - we have Hulu/ESPN/Disney+ "free" via our Verizon mobile plan

We pay for Netflix, Max, and Prime. And, we have Apple TV via all the money we pay Apple each month (we are an apple ecosystem now, but might cut this back once the kids are out on their own)

Also - we have a Samsung "smart TV' that has a couple million (or so it seems) free channels that I never watch.

ETA 2 - I Forgot we have Paramount+ and Peacock so I can get my footie fix.

We pay for Netflix, Max, and Prime. And, we have Apple TV via all the money we pay Apple each month (we are an apple ecosystem now, but might cut this back once the kids are out on their own)

Also - we have a Samsung "smart TV' that has a couple million (or so it seems) free channels that I never watch.

Footie fix?

Your Paremount and Peacock sound different from mine.

Footie fix?

soccer

Footie fix?

soccer
Ohhhhhh, I thought that was like a foot fetish but was hoping you had a typo in "foodie"

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
netflix
hbomax (or whatever they are calling it
prime
disney +
peacock
roku channel (free)

all less than Directv combined (was with them since 95-20)
I am familiar (at least hearing about them) all except YTTV. What is that?
YoutubeTV
What exactly does Hulu have?

They carry some shows we like and a decent selection of movies. we do not have their live tv option.

We have fire sticks on every TV, even if the TV has its own smart browser/built-in streaming app.

This makes it so every tv is virtually the same. We can start a movie downstairs, and pick up exactly where we left off upstairs.

We use a large antenna for local channels during non-football season. You can also try the slim antennas on Amazon or target for about $40 each but they’re spotty.

During football season/winter months when we watch more TV we just get YouTube TV for local channels and more.

GL!

Your Xfinity internet may give you free Peacock streaming (mine does).

My kid mainly watches YouTube. We have Netflix and Amazon prime and disney plus with Hulu. I also have sling tv so that during football season I can “upgrade” to have redzone for $10 a month, then cancel that upgrade after regular season.

I got Verizon’s internet. I had giga and was worried about the drop in speed. Around 1000 to 350 or so. But I talked with a Uber nerd that wasn’t trying to sell me anything and he assured me that I would be fine. And I have been. I did get my daughter her own router because I was tired of hearing her complain that the internet sucked and was also tired of all her friends getting on “my” internet. I still came out ahead of cox’s giga plan with 2 Verizon start up promos.

I did it through Costco at the Verizon kiosk which netted me two $250 gift cards as well. I also got 3 more $250 Costco cards for simply switching 3 lines to Verizon. Free iPhone 14s as well. I’m about to go see if ATT will give me the same deal to switch and upgrade to 15s They’ve taken over the kiosk.

I use an antenna and Amazon Fire Recast for local channels and DVR. Occasionally the signal messes up due to weather but anything it affects can be caught later on Hulu or another app if need be.

Olympics are no problem, just pay the $5 for the month on Peacock when they roll around every 2 years then drop it. Well worth the $$.

I got Verizon’s internet. I had giga and was worried about the drop in speed. Around 1000 to 350 or so. But I talked with a Uber nerd that wasn’t trying to sell me anything and he assured me that I would be fine. And I have been. I did get my daughter her own router because I was tired of hearing her complain that the internet sucked and was also tired of all her friends getting on “my” internet. I still came out ahead of cox’s giga plan with 2 Verizon start up promos.

I did it through Costco at the Verizon kiosk which netted me two $250 gift cards as well. I also got 3 more $250 Costco cards for simply switching 3 lines to Verizon. Free iPhone 14s as well. I’m about to go see if ATT will give me the same deal to switch and upgrade to 15s They’ve taken over the kiosk.
I compared AT&T and Verizon... the deals were fairly close.... but then I went to each and said "look, your competitor is about the same offer as yours.... is there anything you can do to make your offer better".... Verizon basically said no. AT&T gave me a $500 credit on our bill so about 4 free months. Done.

I was going to say I never saw anything at Costco for phones but then I realized they have them by the electronics and I always scoot right past them.

I am sure my speed now is overkill but I am worried about three kids who like to be on their phone, ipad and watch youtube on tv while playing video games.... and my wife who will be streaming Hallmark 24/7.... sucking up all the bandwith. I have no idea how much is enough and how much is not enough. I don't want to be in the not enough spot at all.

Your Xfinity internet may give you free Peacock streaming (mine does).

My kid mainly watches YouTube. We have Netflix and Amazon prime and disney plus with Hulu. I also have sling tv so that during football season I can “upgrade” to have redzone for $10 a month, then cancel that upgrade after regular season.
I will check on that... that would be good to know if they do.... add streaming options can't hurt and if I don't have to pay for it..... yes please

It sounds like you can pretty much just straight swap out your XFinity cable for Youtube TV and you'll be all set since you already have most of the other stuff.

Youtube TV is about 80 bucks a month.

I use an antenna and Amazon Fire Recast for local channels and DVR. Occasionally the signal messes up due to weather but anything it affects can be caught later on Hulu or another app if need be.

Olympics are no problem, just pay the $5 for the month on Peacock when they roll around every 2 years then drop it. Well worth the $$.
The biggest reason for me wanting local TV is during the rough weather for 'nado watch/warnings mostly. Otherwise, just accessing whatever networks would be fine. I am sure there is a way to get that localized info too outside of local network tv but have no idea

Stremio and a real debrid subscription is all you need. We cancelled almost all services and can still watch everything.

I can make a more lengthy post explaining how later but it’s all easily googleable.
Ok.... maybe a readers digest version because reading that I was wondering if you did some major typos or something cause I have no clue what you are talking about.

I compared AT&T and Verizon... the deals were fairly close.... but then I went to each and said "look, your competitor is about the same offer as yours.... is there anything you can do to make your offer better".... Verizon basically said no. AT&T gave me a $500 credit on our bill so about 4 free months. Done.

I was going to say I never saw anything at Costco for phones but then I realized they have them by the electronics and I always scoot right past them.

I am sure my speed now is overkill but I am worried about three kids who like to be on their phone, ipad and watch youtube on tv while playing video games.... and my wife who will be streaming Hallmark 24/7.... sucking up all the bandwith. I have no idea how much is enough and how much is not enough. I don't want to be in the not enough spot at all.
We call my daughter ann aircraft controller with all the different devices open and doing different things. :crazy:

We call my daughter ann aircraft controller with all the different devices open and doing different things. :crazy:
Drives me up the wall.... God forbid I go to change the channel after watching my daughter with her nose in her phone for 15 minutes not paying attention to whatever she has on TV..... change it and it takes her another 5 minutes to realize I changed it and gets mad "I am watching that!"

It sounds like you can pretty much just straight swap out your XFinity cable for Youtube TV and you'll be all set since you already have most of the other stuff.

If you want to go cheaper Fubo is about 65 if you pay quarterly. No TNT, but it has everything else and it does sports well.

If you want to go cheaper Fubo is about 65 if you pay quarterly. No TNT, but it has everything else and it does sports well.
What’s the Dvr situation with fubo? Youtubetv is basically unlimited space.

What’s the Dvr situation with fubo? Youtubetv is basically unlimited space.
1000 hours I think.

I am about to switch to Youtube TV and ditch Direct TV

$15 off the first three months then $72 a month up to 4 devices at the same time.

Adding my sports package for Red Zone during football season only for $11.99 more a month Sep thru last day of the regular season.

No brainer

I am going to have MLB.TV for my baseball package for all out of town games for $139 a year.

I already pay for Netflix.

Get Max free with AT&T wireless.

Gonna save over $1500 a year now.

Ridiculous!!!!

The biggest reason for me wanting local TV is during the rough weather for 'nado watch/warnings mostly. Otherwise, just accessing whatever networks would be fine. I am sure there is a way to get that localized info too outside of local network tv but have no idea
Your phone, a radio, a walkie talkie, Amazon firestick with local channel apps.

I pay for att internet, hulu, peacock and prime. I had bought a $17 antenna to give me over the air local tv. My phone is t-mobile and they do free mlb tv (durring baseball season))

Stremio and a real debrid subscription is all you need. We cancelled almost all services and can still watch everything.

I can make a more lengthy post explaining how later but it’s all easily googleable.
Hi Scoresman. I'm interested and would like info if you'd care to PM me. Thanks in advance.

Samsung "smart TV' that has a couple million (or so it seems) free channels
https://www.samsungtvplus.com/us/about
Samsung TV plus = 350+ free channels.
Has the local HD channels as well, so no need for my antenna for the other free channels.

Just pay Comcast $40 /month (no taxes/fees) for high speed internet (people... please never rent the router, just buy a gigabit model for a single time purchase).
What channels does this actually include?

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
Netflix
prime
Disney +
peacock
Roku channel (free)

all less than DIRECTV combined (was with them since 95-20)
This is exactly us too, all the way down to the time with DTV (we bailed last yr though- when they lost Sunday Ticket). Don’t miss it once bit.

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
Netflix
prime
Disney +
peacock
Roku channel (free)

all less than DIRECTV combined (was with them since 95-20
Not a you specific question but how does one make use of that many different services? We have Disney+ and Prime and Netflix. There is enough good content on those three where I wouldn't have to repeat a show/movie for decades. Wouldn't it make sense to cycle through some of the hbo/peacock/disney/hulu type things? Like only have one of them every 3 months or so?

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
Netflix
prime
Disney +
peacock
Roku channel (free)

Not a you specific question but how does one make use of that many different services? We have Disney+ and Prime and Netflix. There is enough good content on those three where I wouldn't have to repeat a show/movie for decades. Wouldn't it make sense to cycle through some of the hbo/peacock/disney/hulu type things? Like only have one of them every 3 months or so?
For me, I do not have the personal bandwidth to spreadsheet an app rotation. We are constantly looking for shows and movies to watch. with them being relatively inexpensive, I carry all of them year round...still saving vs DTV.

I wouldn't mind doing a free trial of apple tv to watch ted lasso, but i do not believe i would want to carry it beyond that series (of course i'll find others on there that will grab my attention)

Going from direct tv, I went to youtube tv. I think it's the play if you want a similar experience to cable, still get just about all sports and local channels , save some money, and no longer have to deal with wires/boxes. You get every march madness game, all the main college football networks, nfl sunday ticket or redzone if you want to purcahse, 2 tennis channels, golf, poker , mlb channel. There is very little missing from regular cable.

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
Netflix
prime
Disney +
peacock
Roku channel (free)

This is basically what I do. Watch for deals and grab them when I can, watch what they have that I like for a bit and then cancel.

Like starz recently had a deal through Roku channel where it’s .99 per month for 2 months, so I grabbed that and will watch what’s there and cancel before that. Had peacock for .99 per month for 6 months and then was going to cancel and they offered the same deal, so I figured why not. Same with others. Will occasionally grab Netflix or max for a month or so and catch up on some stuff and then cancel. But if probably never have more than 2 at a time. Always have prime plus Tubi/pluto/freevee/roku channel and sometimes youtubetv when needed for sports and all that keeps me covered. I personally value the flexibility of month to month on everything above anything else.
And that is the end of my fascinating tale.

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
Netflix
prime
Disney +
peacock
Roku channel (free)

Can't speak for everyone, but

I get ESPN+/Hulu/Disney+ via my family mobile plan with Verizon - so there is no additional cost to keeping year round. Otherwise, I would probably do what you are suggesting.

Netflix - wife and daughters watch frequently enough that it makes sense as an ever-present.

Prime - we are looking at this as a potential cut - not sure we get enough value here - with or without Prime Video

Paramount/Peacock - I pay for these to have access to the Premier League and other European soccer competitions - and those are 10-month seasons. In theory I could cut those now, and start back up in August.

Apple+ TV - this is part of a package that we pay for cloud storage, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, etc. Eventually, we will cut this back - but I do think Apple TV is the new HBO (we are cutting Max) in terms of quality TV programming, so we would probably keep Apple TV, even when we ditch the other stuff.

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
Netflix
prime
Disney +
peacock
Roku channel (free)

Paramount/Peacock - I pay for these to have access to the Premier League and other European soccer competitions - and those are 10-month seasons. In theory I could cut those now, and start back up in August.
we do not have paramount. i casually follow bundesliga. do you know if peacock carries those matches? i haven't researched

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
Netflix
prime
Disney +
peacock
Roku channel (free)

we do not have paramount. i casually follow bundesliga. do you know if peacock carries those matches? i haven't researched

I want to say Bundesliga is on ESPN+

we have:
YTTV
Hulu
Netflix
prime
Disney +
peacock
Roku channel (free)

Paramount has Serie A, and Champions League and Europa League

Peacock/NBC - Premier League

ESPN+ - FA Cup, League Cup, Championship, Bundesliga, La Liga

I think this is right.

So both YTTV and Fubo would work for local football games plus SNF/MNF? (already have prime so got TNF covered). No blackout in your area BS?

Users who are viewing this thread