What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm sick of "AI" already (1 Viewer)

FreeBaGeL

Footballguy
More like Artificial Unintelligence, amirite?

Yes, ChatGPT and Midjourney can do some reasonably cool stuff, but most everyone else's "AI" out there is just super dumb conditional algorithms that don't work, and they're ramming it down our throats to try and make it work.

Most recent example was Xfinity. My Xfinity subscription comes with free Peacock streaming. I get an email that says to activate it I just need to go into their Xfinity AI bot's chat and tell it that I need to activate Peacock, and it will give me an "Activate Now" button. Instead of sending me an "Activate" button they wrote a 10 step email with how I can trigger their stupid AI bot to give me an "Activate" button, and the dumb thing just won't do it. And no human apparently can do it. It has to be done through the AI bot, which is too dumb to figure it out.

This stuff is still a long, long ways off, and in the meantime we're stuck with all this fake AI to impress shareholders that just makes the customer experience 10x worse.

And no, I'm not afraid of putting this out there for Skynet or Google or whatever to avenge me over it when they eventually take over. Because at this pace I will be long dead by then. I've been a Google Home/Alexa user for 5 years now. Not only have these things not gotten any smarter over the last 5 years, they've arguably gotten stupider and are unable to perform simple things they had no problem with 5 years ago. These things can barely handle a kitchen timer.

Last edited:
A lot of what is being touted as AI, isn't actually AI - it's all marketing - you need to say you have AI because everyone else is saying it. I think some of these bots are just standard decision tree algorithms, which have been around for years. Even if actual AI, AI bots need to have good data and be trained on how to react and interpret the data and questions, and many companies likely aren't investing in that part of it. They are likely just buying a bot to say they have one. There are also no standards or rules in AI either which makes it more difficult.

People don't seem to understand that ChatGPT is just like the auto-type thing in your phone where it guesses the next word you want to type, except, it's using everything ever written instead of just your own phone's history. There's no big intelligence there.

I believe the comparison I heard is that the best AI out there right now is roughly equivalent to a squirrel's brain size. Now, that's a huge step up from the bumblebee size it used to be, but, nowhere near where it's going to have to be to make, say, self-driving cars real.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of 'news' articles I stumble across are written by AI? Adding unnecessary qualifiers to the story, strange sentence structure, etc. It's awful.
Since AI learns from previous writings, maybe that is why AI writes like it does?

People don't seem to understand that ChatGPT is just like the auto-type thing in your phone where it guesses the next word you want to type, except, it's using everything ever written instead of just your own phone's history. There's no big intelligence there.

I believe the comparison I heard is that the best AI out there right now is roughly equivalent to a squirrel's brain size. Now, that's a huge step up from the bumblebee size it used to be, but, nowhere near where it's going to have to be to make, say, self-driving cars real.

This. It isn’t smart or revolutionary. It’s just a mashup of existing technology.

It’s a tool, it’s not Skynet.

I probably get like 10 spam emails per day from vendors trying to offer me AI services for my line of work. They all basically say the same thing and claim to be able to do the same thing - which is funny because, recently, there was a pretty notable incident and resulting ethics opinion where a lawyer used AI to write either a brief or a pleading and didn't go back and check through it to ensure a logical argument and appropriate case citation. Turns out the AI did not do a good job and, apparently, made up cases or something like that. 🤦

As a software developer, I get a lot of value from it. Where before I hadto read through blogs or stackoverflow posts to answer a question I have (and there's a lot of questions I have) after first googling, I now can just ask chatgpt and it gives me a concise answer with a clear example. Its actually a little too verbose and frequently I tell it to stop generating. And then the ability to ask follow up questions to further specify what I'm looking for without having to type a brand new question from scratch is very convenient.

I like to play around with future travel plans (frequently one's out west that involve a fair amount of driving with a lot of stops) and its great to narrow down an itinerary.

There's gonna be a buttload of short term money made on these startups

This seems like the kind of thing your meme stock/crypto investor would be hot for

Please don't equate AI with something like ChatGPT even if the common public does. Those are just engines that scrape the internet and basically steal what other people have created with no compensation. They are not creating or learning anything.

Please don't equate AI with something like ChatGPT even if the common public does. Those are just engines that scrape the internet and basically steal what other people have created with no compensation. They are not creating or learning anything.
I thought the AI portion was learning how to dialogue and communicate more and more like a human?

I thought the AI portion was learning how to dialogue and communicate more and more like a human?
Yes that is true but I fear many people think the information being provided is generated by ChatGPT instead of being basically taken from other peoples work with out either compensation or at the very least just basic credit to the sources.

Yes that is true but I fear many people think the information being provided is generated by ChatGPT instead of being basically taken from other peoples work with out either compensation or at the very least just basic credit to the sources.
Good point.

On a related note, my son was given a zero in his HS English class because his essay was deemed to be "100% AI generated" by some software. He said he had used it, but rewrote it. Not sure what the parameters are, but he did get to redo the assignment for partial credit.

Good point.

On a related note, my son was given a zero in his HS English class because his essay was deemed to be "100% AI generated" by some software. He said he had used it, but rewrote it. Not sure what the parameters are, but he did get to redo the assignment for partial credit.
As a teacher, it's a real battle. I caught a kid trying to be clever and asking the AI to write it as it's 7th grader (I teach HS). So while I commend their self awareness that they can't write an essay at the level of a 10th grader, unfortunately, 7th grade writing quality was still aiming way too high. Just all of a sudden the first time all year they have punctuation and everything is spelled correctly? Wasn't easy to spot.

Good point.

As a teacher, it's a real battle. I caught a kid trying to be clever and asking the AI to write it as it's 7th grader (I teach HS). So while I commend their self awareness that they can't write an essay at the level of a 10th grader, unfortunately, 7th grade writing quality was still aiming way too high. Just all of a sudden the first time all year they have punctuation and everything is spelled correctly? Wasn't easy to spot.
How do you prep for this as a teacher?

I assume you do the normal "no one is to use....." type statements that some kids will follow and others won't. But do you actively use the online tools yourself so that you can be aware of when cheating happens or do you just have a "feel" as a teacher for when something is not written by the student?

I assume you do the normal "no one is to use....." type statements that some kids will follow and others won't. But do you actively use the online tools yourself so that you can be aware of when cheating happens or do you just have a "feel" as a teacher for when something is not written by the student?
We are still trying to figure it out. Some kids you can definitely have a feel for based on how they write in class on paper when there is no tech. We are definitely seeing more teachers asking kids to write their essays/paragraphs/etc. by hand first, in class. The teacher reviews it and then has them type it. The ELA teachers are obviously way more ahead. i am not sure if the science, history or elective teachers are doing much yet.

We are still trying to figure it out. Some kids you can definitely have a feel for based on how they write in class on paper when there is no tech. We are definitely seeing more teachers asking kids to write their essays/paragraphs/etc. by hand first, in class. The teacher reviews it and then has them type it. The ELA teachers are obviously way more ahead. i am not sure if the science, history or elective teachers are doing much yet.
My son is at a very large high school, so they are probably further along than most teachers.

My son is at a very large high school, so they are probably further along than most teachers.
I don't know what is very large. My district and school of a decent size though. We have like 1600 kids, there's 2 other similarly sized schools. It really depends on the teacher in my short experience. Some are old or just oblivious, some are going to be really over the top vigilant. Lots of things in between. The most difficult part to police is written work that is expected to be done at home. How do you stop a kid from using their phone or computer from using AI? At that, it's mostly a judgement call or you have to rely on asking them 1 on 1 what a word they used means or to explain a point they made.

For years it was caused machine learning and people who worked on machine learning projects refused to call it AI. Now, the cat is out of the bag and everyone is calling machine learning AI.

Overall, I am underwhelmed from the chat generators, although some of the image generators are pretty good.

I probably get like 10 spam emails per day from vendors trying to offer me AI services for my line of work. They all basically say the same thing and claim to be able to do the same thing - which is funny because, recently, there was a pretty notable incident and resulting ethics opinion where a lawyer used AI to write either a brief or a pleading and didn't go back and check through it to ensure a logical argument and appropriate case citation. Turns out the AI did not do a good job and, apparently, made up cases or something like that. 🤦
Real estate industry here. Our marketing software has a tool for generating home descriptions via their "AI". I tried it once and it was littered with fair housing violations. It's interesting that something that is trying to replace me gets to learn at the expense of me being fined by the Feds and losing my state license.

Reactions: Zow
More like Artificial Unintelligence, amirite?

Yes, ChatGPT and Midjourney can do some reasonably cool stuff, but most everyone else's "AI" out there is just super dumb conditional algorithms that don't work, and they're ramming it down our throats to try and make it work.

Most recent example was Xfinity. My Xfinity subscription comes with free Peacock streaming. I get an email that says to activate it I just need to go into their Xfinity AI bot's chat and tell it that I need to activate Peacock, and it will give me an "Activate Now" button. Instead of sending me an "Activate" button they wrote a 10 step email with how I can trigger their stupid AI bot to give me an "Activate" button, and the dumb thing just won't do it. And no human apparently can do it. It has to be done through the AI bot, which is too dumb to figure it out.

This stuff is still a long, long ways off, and in the meantime we're stuck with all this fake AI to impress shareholders that just makes the customer experience 10x worse.
AI-generated graphics art is ruining my FB groups. Now real pictures of dogs are being replaced with "super cute" AI generated pics. Everyone "has to try" and "it's so much fun."

Get off my lawn.

Dear FreeBaGeL,

I hope this letter finds you well. I recently heard that you have some doubts about the value of generative AI, particularly products like ChatGPT, and I wanted to take a moment to share some insights about the incredible ways AI is transforming various sectors, including business and education.

First and foremost, it's important to recognize that AI, and generative AI in particular, has rapidly become a driving force in innovation across multiple domains. Here are some key areas where AI is making a significant impact:

1. Business and Industry:
    • Customer Support: AI-driven chatbots like ChatGPT can handle routine customer inquiries, improving response times and reducing the workload for human agents. This not only enhances customer satisfaction but also lowers operational costs.
    • Data Analysis: AI tools are used to analyze vast amounts of data quickly, helping businesses make data-driven decisions. This includes predictive analytics, fraud detection, and market trend analysis.
    • Personalization: AI algorithms can tailor product recommendations and marketing strategies to individual user preferences, resulting in a more personalized and engaging customer experience.
    • Automation: AI and robotics are revolutionizing manufacturing and logistics, increasing efficiency and reducing errors in tasks that were once labor-intensive.
  2. Education:
    • Personalized Learning: AI can create personalized learning paths for students, adjusting the pace and content to suit their individual needs. This is incredibly beneficial for students with varying learning styles and abilities.
    • Assessment and Feedback: AI-powered systems can provide instant feedback on assignments and exams, helping educators pinpoint areas where students may need additional support.
    • Language Translation: AI can facilitate language learning by providing accurate and quick translations, opening up educational resources from around the world.
    • Research Assistance: Researchers and students can benefit from AI-powered tools for literature reviews, data analysis, and even generating initial drafts for academic papers.
  3. Healthcare:
    • Medical Diagnosis: AI algorithms have proven to be highly accurate in diagnosing diseases like cancer and identifying anomalies in medical images.
    • Drug Discovery: AI speeds up drug discovery by simulating and analyzing potential compounds, reducing the time and cost associated with research.
    • Patient Care: Chatbots and virtual assistants powered by AI can provide healthcare information, appointment scheduling, and even monitor patient conditions remotely.
  4. Creative Industries:
    • AI can assist in content creation, from generating music compositions and art to assisting with video editing and content writing.
  5. Environmental Impact:
    • AI is helping to monitor and manage environmental issues, from climate change modeling to optimizing energy consumption in buildings.
These are just a few examples of the remarkable impact of AI in various sectors. The key takeaway is that AI doesn't replace human expertise but enhances it by automating repetitive tasks, providing valuable insights, and enabling innovation. In the case of generative AI, such as ChatGPT, it is a tool that can assist in generating human-like text and can be harnessed for a wide range of applications, from content creation to answering questions and offering support.

It's worth noting that AI is still evolving, and there are challenges, including ethical and privacy considerations. However, responsible development and usage of AI are essential to mitigate these concerns.

I hope this letter sheds some light on the incredible potential of AI and generative AI in various sectors. If you have any specific questions or want to explore this topic further, feel free to reach out. I'd be happy to discuss it with you in more detail.

Best regards,

ChatGPT

Real estate industry here. Our marketing software has a tool for generating home descriptions via their "AI". I tried it once and it was littered with fair housing violations. It's interesting that something that is trying to replace me gets to learn at the expense of me being fined by the Feds and losing my state license.
Working as intended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread