What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do I REALLY need a 60" TV for my Super Bowl party? (1 Viewer)

FootBallin

Footballguy
My wife is an even bigger football fanatic than I am and she insists we need a 60" TV for our SB party. I think our 40" will suffice just fine but she is being crazy about it!

We are having about 15 people over to our place. What do you all think? Is a 40" big enough?

Apparently Costco are having a big sale on the 60" plasma Vizio.... which spurred this whole idea in her head that we need a big TV.

Thoughts guys? I think she's being nuts

My wife is an even bigger football fanatic than I am and she insists we need a 60" TV for our SB party. I think our 40" will suffice just fine but she is being crazy about it! We are having about 15 people over to our place. What do you all think? Is a 40" big enough?Apparently Costco are having a big sale on the 60" plasma Vizio.... which spurred this whole idea in her head that we need a big TV. Thoughts guys? I think she's being nuts
A guy complaining about a bigger TV.40inches is embarrassing for a SuperBowl party.

There is a reason that Vizios are inexpensive.

If you're going to get a plasma, look at Panasonic, Toshiba or Pioneer, and nothing else.

If your guest will be standing more then say 30 feet away, than a 60' is needed.

FootBallin said:
My wife is an even bigger football fanatic than I am and she insists we need a 60" TV for our SB party. I think our 40" will suffice just fine but she is being crazy about it!

We are having about 15 people over to our place. What do you all think? Is a 40" big enough?

Apparently Costco are having a big sale on the 60" plasma Vizio.... which spurred this whole idea in her head that we need a big TV.

Thoughts guys? I think she's being nuts
Don't get that TV unless you have a huge room. It's only 720p and you will notice it at that size if you sit within 10-15 feet.Weird that your wife is spurring this on though.

If you're going to get a plasma, look at Panasonic, Toshiba or Pioneer, and nothing else.

If your guest will be standing more then say 30 feet away, than a 60' is needed.
why is that? just curious because I have heard good thing about them and the ones in the bar look good anyways. wouldn't a pioneer 60" be somewhere around 5 grand?

why is that? just curious because I have heard good thing about them and the ones in the bar look good anyways. wouldn't a pioneer 60" be somewhere around 5 grand?
You're probably sitting pretty far away from the screen at the bar, which would make it look batter.Vizio's have a reputation for not lasting very long. They have had power problems with their LCDs and other issues. They make TVs that look decent to an inexperienced eye, and aren't built to last.The bigger the screen, the more apparent the lower quality of the display becomes.Pioneers would by just under $5k, Panasonic has come way down.

You're probably sitting pretty far away from the screen at the bar, which would make it look batter.Vizio's have a reputation for not lasting very long. They have had power problems with their LCDs and other issues. They make TVs that look decent to an inexperienced eye, and aren't built to last.The bigger the screen, the more apparent the lower quality of the display becomes.Pioneers would by just under $5k, Panasonic has come way down.
Buying from Costco you are covered for two years on repairs.

Vizio's are inexpensive mainly because the company spends very little on advertising (I think it's something like less than 1% of their spending, this was pre-LT2 commercials so I'm not sure what it is now). From the testing I've seen, when compared side by side (similar models) the Panasonics, Toshiba's Pioneer's ect test a little better from the picture quality stand point, although they are more expensive. Whether that small upgrade in picture quality is worth the additional cost is of course a personal decision. I have a Vizio and I think it looks fine.

You should see if they have the floor model running at the store and try to picture how far away you'd be seated and check out the quality from that distance. The problem with most large TV's tends to be people buying larger TV's than their room can handle.

If you don't need a TV tuner, you can get the 58" Panasonic TH-58PH10UK for around $2000 shipped.

For around $5K you can get a 70" Sony DLP and stand, and have it shipped halfway across the country. And get as good of a picture out of it, if not better, than from a plasma or LCD. IMHO anyway... the first time I saw the Sony I ended up getting, I thought it was an LCD or plasma. I had a very good experience with ABT electronics out of Chicago on my purchase.And to me there is a huge difference in viewing enjoyment when screen size goes up by 20". Huge. Of course it is also one of those things where you may be content with what you have now, but once you get a chance to use a 60" you would not want to go back.

If you can afford it I would say go for it. Though I'm also someone who would prefer to go pick out the TV that is right for me when I can take the time I need to make my selection, rather than rushing to get it before the coming weekend. I tend to prefer to get something that will future-proof me against technology changes, rather than getting the cheaper version that may not keep up. But then again you can probably come out ahead price-wise doing the latter if you are smart enough about it.

There is a reason that Vizios are inexpensive.If you're going to get a plasma, look at Panasonic, Toshiba or Pioneer, and nothing else.If your guest will be standing more then say 30 feet away, than a 60' is needed.
Dude, if your getting the green light from the Mrs. then jump and jump now. Panny plasmas are top notch displays. They're made so you can sit closer to them now as well. I have a 50" and the viewing distance is a mere 10' and it looks splendid. Lots of deals out there right now so make the plunge. Also pick yourself up a Toshiba HD DVD player. Models like the A3 and the A30 are a steal for around 100-150 bucks. At Xmas time they were going for $199 and $299 respectively.

You're probably sitting pretty far away from the screen at the bar, which would make it look batter.Vizio's have a reputation for not lasting very long. They have had power problems with their LCDs and other issues. They make TVs that look decent to an inexperienced eye, and aren't built to last.

The bigger the screen, the more apparent the lower quality of the display becomes.

Pioneers would by just under $5k, Panasonic has come way down.
There are a lot of happy Vizio owners out there. Go here for complete reviews and opinions.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...prune=7&f=9

For around $5K you can get a 70" Sony DLP and stand, and have it shipped halfway across the country. And get as good of a picture out of it, if not better, than from a plasma or LCD. IMHO anyway... the first time I saw the Sony I ended up getting, I thought it was an LCD or plasma. I had a very good experience with ABT electronics out of Chicago on my purchase.And to me there is a huge difference in viewing enjoyment when screen size goes up by 20". Huge. Of course it is also one of those things where you may be content with what you have now, but once you get a chance to use a 60" you would not want to go back.

If you can afford it I would say go for it. Though I'm also someone who would prefer to go pick out the TV that is right for me when I can take the time I need to make my selection, rather than rushing to get it before the coming weekend. I tend to prefer to get something that will future-proof me against technology changes, rather than getting the cheaper version that may not keep up. But then again you can probably come out ahead price-wise doing the latter if you are smart enough about it.
Future proofing with consumer electronics? Good luck with that.. :thumbdown:

If your not a videophile, and are happy with the Vizio you have, more power to you. For me it's like what the other person said, once you get used to a 60, you won't want to go back, once you get used to accurate clear crisp images, you won't want to go back. When you have a properly calibrated set, with a high quality source, it can seem like you are looking out a window, 3D like images that are so crisp they have depth to them.

Don't know how much the 60" Viszios are, but let's say they cost $2K. You could buy TWO of them, with money for a DVD player for the cost of ONE Pioneer. Then you'd have a spare just in case that Viszio developed a "power problem". :yucky:

TV snobs are as bad as (if not worse than) beer snobs or stereo snobs or sports car snobs or whatever kind of consumer product snob you want to mention...

Don't know how much the 60" Viszios are, but let's say they cost $2K. You could buy TWO of them, with money for a DVD player for the cost of ONE Pioneer. Then you'd have a spare just in case that Viszio developed a "power problem". :yucky: TV snobs are as bad as (if not worse than) beer snobs or stereo snobs or sports car snobs or whatever kind of consumer product snob you want to mention...
Pio's are good sets, but way to high priced. You get can the same quality for half of what they want imo.

Future proofing with consumer electronics? Good luck with that.. :shrug:
I have had pretty good luck with that actually. My first big screen HD TV lasted me around 10 years with few misgivings about functionality it was missing. My Audio receiver started to die about the time that I started to feel the hurt of not having HDMI. I have discovered one or two mistakes in my TV purchase (TV supports 1080p/60fps, but not 1080p/24fps which means I get a signal that was downcovereted to 1080i then upconverted back to 1080p/60fps in some cases), but everything is HDMI capable, supports the new dolby HD formats, players can send out the sound uncompressed if need be, etc.Oh, and I chose Blu-ray over HD-DVD. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how much the 60" Viszios are, but let's say they cost $2K. You could buy TWO of them, with money for a DVD player for the cost of ONE Pioneer. Then you'd have a spare just in case that Viszio developed a "power problem". :no: TV snobs are as bad as (if not worse than) beer snobs or stereo snobs or sports car snobs or whatever kind of consumer product snob you want to mention...
Yeah the 60" plasma is $2 grand... that's part of my problem too - I wonder if some of the more expensive brands are just the result of longevity and better marketing as "elite" and are not actually higher quality? I mean, I know Sony makes a great TV (a friend of mine had a 70" Sony and it was GORGEOUS- but ultimately way too big for his apt), but some of these other ones it is just hard to know the difference.And whoever made the comment about Costco havine a 2 year warranty on repairs, thanks! I did not actually know that. That is pretty sweet. I think I'll let her have her way... after all if there is a "power problem" Costco can deal with it. And thanks for the size comments too guys... haha... thought about that right after I posted. Oh well I guess I deserve it.

My uncle purchased a Vizio, picture is as clear as day. If you can afford it, listen to your woman!

Don't know how much the 60" Viszios are, but let's say they cost $2K. You could buy TWO of them, with money for a DVD player for the cost of ONE Pioneer. Then you'd have a spare just in case that Viszio developed a "power problem". :shrug: TV snobs are as bad as (if not worse than) beer snobs or stereo snobs or sports car snobs or whatever kind of consumer product snob you want to mention...
Spoken like a true Redskins fan.I'd rather save the money and pay for actual, not perceived, quality, but as I said, if you're happy with a Vizio, than more power to you. Maybe you can spurge on one of those spiffy Bose home theater sets :bag:

Don't know how much the 60" Viszios are, but let's say they cost $2K. You could buy TWO of them, with money for a DVD player for the cost of ONE Pioneer. Then you'd have a spare just in case that Viszio developed a "power problem". :shrug: TV snobs are as bad as (if not worse than) beer snobs or stereo snobs or sports car snobs or whatever kind of consumer product snob you want to mention...
Spoken like a true Redskins fan.I'd rather save the money and pay for actual, not perceived, quality, but as I said, if you're happy with a Vizio, than more power to you. Maybe you can spurge on one of those spiffy Bose home theater sets :bag:
You're so cool.

Don't know how much the 60" Viszios are, but let's say they cost $2K. You could buy TWO of them, with money for a DVD player for the cost of ONE Pioneer. Then you'd have a spare just in case that Viszio developed a "power problem". :lmao: TV snobs are as bad as (if not worse than) beer snobs or stereo snobs or sports car snobs or whatever kind of consumer product snob you want to mention...
Spoken like a true Redskins fan.I'd rather save the money and pay for actual, not perceived, quality, but as I said, if you're happy with a Vizio, than more power to you. Maybe you can spurge on one of those spiffy Bose home theater sets :lmao:
You're so cool.
If you think I'm cool, you should see my SeaMonkeys.

Future proofing with consumer electronics? Good luck with that.. :)
Oh, and I chose Blu-ray over HD-DVD. :thumbup:
Damn I was just starting to like you.. F BD.. :goodposting: Going to be interesting to see how this format war plays out and who is the first to puke out a dual format player. I'm sure it will cost as much as a small car. :lmao:

Future proofing with consumer electronics? Good luck with that.. :X
Damn I was just starting to like you.. F BD.. :popcorn: Going to be interesting to see how this format war plays out and who is the first to puke out a dual format player. I'm sure it will cost as much as a small car. :shrug:
Ouch. Threw alot of green at HD-DVD huh? Congrats on backing this generation's Betamax :bag: Seriously, coming from someone who is intrigued by Vizio and is always looking for a good value, I would go with one of the S screens (Sony, Samsung, Sharp) for a main display. Pricier but much higher build quality plus the full 1080p goodness for Blu rays.

Now if we're talking a TV for the bedroom or something then I'd be all over a Vizio.

Oh, and I chose Blu-ray over HD-DVD. :confused:
Which is smart since HD-DVD is about dead, now that most studios have shifted to Blu-Ray. HD-DVD may be better but it's not gonna be around much longr.Don't waste money on the HD-DVD players. Get the Blu-Ray if you feel the need to get anything.I still say Digitally delivered content is the way of the future but when that future gets here, I dunno.Funny this conversation comes up now - my flat screen (not panel) Tv seems to be dying (frustrating as it's maybe 4 years old) and the wife has me looking into Flat panel/HDTVs. We're not rushing - I'm watching the Superbowl, at a friends place on his Big Screen - so we'll look for the right deal as well as BEST deal.

Here's a question - if I'm buying a HDTV, am I also on the hook for all the accompanying equip right off the bat or can I get the TV, live w/out HD for a while, still watching my usual fare, then buy the equip (the HD box, cables ecetera) when I find good deals?

Here's a question - if I'm buying a HDTV, am I also on the hook for all the accompanying equip right off the bat or can I get the TV, live w/out HD for a while, still watching my usual fare, then buy the equip (the HD box, cables ecetera) when I find good deals?
Regular RPTV content on a really big inexpensive screen looks bad. If you're not used to HD, then it may not make much of a difference to you, but clarity of the image will probably look a little worse then what you see now, simply because the 'imperfections' will be made bigger. Some sets are better than others.I'd at least get HD cable (or satellite) or check for over the air reception in your area, if your TV has a built in receiver.

HDTVpub

AntennaWeb

Most cable companies will give you the cables, if not you can get a perfectly good HDMI cable for around $20, same with component video cables.

Regular RPTV content on a really big inexpensive screen looks bad. If you're not used to HD, then it may not make much of a difference to you, but clarity of the image will probably look a little worse then what you see now, simply because the 'imperfections' will be made bigger. Some sets are better than others.I'd at least get HD cable (or satellite) or check for over the air reception in your area, if your TV has a built in receiver.

HDTVpub

AntennaWeb

Most cable companies will give you the cables, if not you can get a perfectly good HDMI cable for around $20, same with component video cables.
Cool - that's kinda what I thought.Thanks - and thanks for the link.

Don't know how much the 60" Viszios are, but let's say they cost $2K. You could buy TWO of them, with money for a DVD player for the cost of ONE Pioneer. Then you'd have a spare just in case that Viszio developed a "power problem". :popcorn: TV snobs are as bad as (if not worse than) beer snobs or stereo snobs or sports car snobs or whatever kind of consumer product snob you want to mention...
Yeah the 60" plasma is $2 grand... that's part of my problem too - I wonder if some of the more expensive brands are just the result of longevity and better marketing as "elite" and are not actually higher quality? I mean, I know Sony makes a great TV (a friend of mine had a 70" Sony and it was GORGEOUS- but ultimately way too big for his apt), but some of these other ones it is just hard to know the difference.And whoever made the comment about Costco havine a 2 year warranty on repairs, thanks! I did not actually know that. That is pretty sweet. I think I'll let her have her way... after all if there is a "power problem" Costco can deal with it. And thanks for the size comments too guys... haha... thought about that right after I posted. Oh well I guess I deserve it.
I have found cnet.com to be a great site for finding out the pluses and minuses of different brands. They also have some good write ups that will explain the new technologies, how they work, what's important, etc. I think they also do a decent job of pointing out when features and functionality should matter to the average buyer, and when it's something that you likely won't notice unless you're an extreme audiophile or whatever.

FootBallin said:
My wife is an even bigger football fanatic than I am and she insists we need a 60" TV for our SB party. I think our 40" will suffice just fine but she is being crazy about it! We are having about 15 people over to our place. What do you all think? Is a 40" big enough?Apparently Costco are having a big sale on the 60" plasma Vizio.... which spurred this whole idea in her head that we need a big TV. Thoughts guys? I think she's being nuts
Wow, what a women! I think I'm in love. I love my 50", but if the wife wanted a 60" I'd have to go get it!

Wow, what a women! I think I'm in love. I love my 50", but if the wife wanted a 60" I'd have to go get it!
LOL I know... she is pretty great! She grew up in a total football family, 4 brothers, and knows more about football than I do! Which is just kind of sad... But I think I will let her have her way. The 60" is listed on Vizio's website as $2500 suggested and at Costco it's $1,999 so that is a really good savings. I still think she is a little nuts for insisting we need this (after all, our 40" Sony is a beautiful TV) but I do see where she's coming from... and if this means we get to have a SB party every year that's fine by me! Just hope there are more interesting match ups in the years to come! This game is just going to be depressing to watch I feel...

Listen to your wife, man.

Just pray she doesn't make you wear and apron and shuttle back and forth between the kitchen and the TV room with snacks and drinks for the boys...and her.

Listen to your wife, man.Just pray she doesn't make you wear and apron and shuttle back and forth between the kitchen and the TV room with snacks and drinks for the boys...and her.
:lmao: Also make sure you only pass infront of the TV, when game is not on. :lmao:

Future proofing with consumer electronics? Good luck with that.. :popcorn:
Damn I was just starting to like you.. F BD.. :thumbdown: Going to be interesting to see how this format war plays out and who is the first to puke out a dual format player. I'm sure it will cost as much as a small car. :rolleyes:
Ouch. Threw alot of green at HD-DVD huh? Congrats on backing this generation's Betamax :bag: Seriously, coming from someone who is intrigued by Vizio and is always looking for a good value, I would go with one of the S screens (Sony, Samsung, Sharp) for a main display. Pricier but much higher build quality plus the full 1080p goodness for Blu rays.

Now if we're talking a TV for the bedroom or something then I'd be all over a Vizio.
1080P is a waste imo due to the fact nobody broadcasts in 1080P. Unless you want to invest in a ridiculously priced BD player, then you won't even notice the difference from a 1080i display. Don't think for a second BD has won this war. Toshiba is blitzing the market with cheap players and if people own HD players, they're going to be buying HD DVD's. This is far from over.

...and who is the first to puke out a dual format player. I'm sure it will cost as much as a small car.
They've been out for a few years now. You can get one for under $600.LG BH100

LG BH200

Samsung BD-UP5000
I didn't know this. The prices are encouraging. Not knowing which way the format war is going to go stopped me from purchasing HD disks. I take care of my movie fetish through Netflix. That said I can see owning one of these players sometime in the near future, of course that means upgrading to 1080P which is going to take a bit longer.

HDTVpub

AntennaWeb

Correct. Most displays come with a QAM tuner now, which means you can pull your HD locals in for free through this tuner. Once you start watching your favorite shows in HD, you'll find it very hard to go back to SD. I don't watch SD at all anymore. If I can't get it in HD, I don't watch it.

I have a 60 inch Hitachi 1080i .And let me tell you this is the 4th big screen i owned . And by far the best . The Hd is awsome . The pic is so clear therw Direc Tv HD . I would never be without one.

Take your wifes opinion . AND UPGRADE WHILE YOU HAVE THE GREEN LIGHT

1080P is a waste imo due to the fact nobody broadcasts in 1080P. Unless you want to invest in a ridiculously priced BD player, then you won't even notice the difference from a 1080i display. Don't think for a second BD has won this war. Toshiba is blitzing the market with cheap players and if people own HD players, they're going to be buying HD DVD's. This is far from over.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but there's an HD-DVD vs Blu-ray thread over in the Free for all if you want to discuss it more there.For the OP, here's a review of the Vizio. I'm assuming this is the one you're talking about. I was disappointed they only had one retailer listed in the shop section. I'd actually gone over there to see if I could find you a better price. Normally they have a slew of them.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/viz...?tag=prod.txt.8

Depends on how much money you make, and how much you want to spend.If you ever want to buy HD dvds (either format), get a 1080P. If you can afford the extra money for 1080P, go for it.If you're trying to get the most for your money go 720p, they're a lot cheaper. I personally went with 720p, I don't buy DVDs, I don't watch DVDs. So that made it much easier. As you said, there are no 1080P broadcasts. Not to mention, if you're further then 12' away, you can't even tell the different between 720p and 1080p. But people usually own TVs for a long time, so if you have the money and buy DVDs, I'd go with 1080p. But for watching sports in HD, 720p is what they broadcast in.

baldbird said:
I have a 60 inch Hitachi 1080i .And let me tell you this is the 4th big screen i owned . And by far the best . The Hd is awsome . The pic is so clear therw Direc Tv HD . I would never be without one. Take your wifes opinion . AND UPGRADE WHILE YOU HAVE THE GREEN LIGHT
:bag: Absofrickenlutely! Run, don't walk, to the nearest store, before she changes her mind.

teamroc said:
scott72 said:
Depends on how much money you make, and how much you want to spend.If you ever want to buy HD dvds (either format), get a 1080P. If you can afford the extra money for 1080P, go for it.If you're trying to get the most for your money go 720p, they're a lot cheaper. I personally went with 720p, I don't buy DVDs, I don't watch DVDs. So that made it much easier. As you said, there are no 1080P broadcasts. Not to mention, if you're further then 12' away, you can't even tell the different between 720p and 1080p. But people usually own TVs for a long time, so if you have the money and buy DVDs, I'd go with 1080p. But for watching sports in HD, 720p is what they broadcast in.
Wrong. 1080p has no affect on HD DVD's only Blu Ray. HD DVD's look fantastic on 720's and 1080i displays. TV stations broadcast in either 720p or 1080i, but not 1080p so as of right now the only thing you can use 1080p for is Blu Ray at 400-500 bucks a player. I do agree with you however, if I could afford a 1080p I would buy one. You can obviously still watch HD DVD's on them, they'll just downconvert it to 1080i or 720p. Then of course you can watch blu ray as well. I also agree with you that many cannot tell the difference between the two, especially on a display smaller than 60 inches.

Dude?! :confused:

Wrong. 1080p has no affect on HD DVD's only Blu Ray. HD DVD's look fantastic on 720's and 1080i displays. TV stations broadcast in either 720p or 1080i, but not 1080p so as of right now the only thing you can use 1080p for is Blu Ray at 400-500 bucks a player. I do agree with you however, if I could afford a 1080p I would buy one. You can obviously still watch HD DVD's on them, they'll just downconvert it to 1080i or 720p. Then of course you can watch blu ray as well. I also agree with you that many cannot tell the difference between the two, especially on a display smaller than 60 inches.
That's not entirely accurate.Both HD DVD and Blu-ray discs can be (and mostly are) encoded in 1080pThe first generation of HD DVD players would only send a signal in 720p or 1080iThe current generation, including the higher end of the price cut Toshiba's (A30 & A35) which both send in 1080p, and are under $250The PS3 will send Blu-ray in 1080p, as will most Blu-ray playersAll through HDMI cables, component can't handle it currently.That's just the numbers though, most people will not be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. The current converters are very good, and don't loose much.

Users who are viewing this thread