What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you approve of kneeling at sports games? (1 Viewer)

I approve of athletes kneeling at sports games.  Same goes for singing, crying, saluting, putting their hands on their hearts, looking down and raising a fist, frowning and smiling. Their acts will have other consequences, both good and bad. 

Athletes should be allowed to personally express themselves in any way they deem appropriate, so long as it is not overly disruptive.  Blasting an airhorn, punching the second place finisher in the head, or screaming profanities are all things I would deem overly disruptive.  

This.

It's one thing when you're in America competing amongst your country men.  

You're on an international stage representing America.  And you feel the need to tell everyone how awful the country is?  Boycott it by not going to the olympics.  That would make a point.  Heck, boycott it by taking a knee during your event and refusing to throw.  

People always say it isn't about the flag or the anthem.  But, to some extent--it is.  You're looking for something to tie your act to the country.  You could easily get a metric crap ton of attention by taking a knee mid race, or dropping your hammer or whatever.  There are a lot of ways to do this without doing it during the anthem/pledge/while the flag is out/etc.
Not that I disagree but her event was all the Americans trying to make the team.....

Disapprove, but mainly b/c I dont find any action like kneeling, wearing a shirt, writing on their cleats or any passive "bringing attention to" act effective. 

If you are a professional athlete, you have money and fame to actually do something about whatever you are "bringing attention to." Put your money and actions where your knee is and provide funds and actual effort to your cause. Anyone can virtue signal and then expect others to do the actual hard work. I'm not saying athletes may or may not contribute or donate, but I find it (especially now after kneeling has become sort of main stream) an easy way to make a little spectacle of yourself and then go back to your mansion to look at your Bentley collection. 

But I also find the narrative hollow, painting America as this evil, racist country. Are we perfect, no? But in a nation of billions of people, it is impossible for everyone to be perfect, and be successful. But there you are, getting paid millions to catch/throw/run/punt a ball. If America was so horrible and racist, wouldn't we be watching some ginger named Bernie play your position. Take your knelling to North Korea or Saudi Arabia and do it during their anthems or prayer time and see what attention it gets you. 

Lots of athletes put their money and time where their mouth is. And, in fact, the NBA athletes got the owners (the real rich guys) to put money and time in also. Pretty successful protests.

Yeah it bugs me when millionaire athletes bring politics into sports but not enough for me to boycott the sport or hate the athlete.

What the Olympic hammer thrower pisses me off because in her case she is SUPPOSED to be representing America. If she doesnt like it she shouldnt be competing for us.

What do you think when billionaire owners bring politics into sports?

I think its pathetic but I 100% support them - they can roll around and bark like a dog if they want to during the anthem

Now, in return, I want them to 100% support me not watching them/supporting them and calling it how I believe it. I think that's fair.
this for me somewhat.  so in other words I'm a definite maybe.

I approve.  Sports has often been a political forum. If sports SHOULDN'T be a political forum...than eliminate the National Anthem before games.  We don't play it before any other entertainment event.  

Yeah, can the anthem at sporting events.  Why go on with the pretense that we are a united country?  It’s not doing any good.  It triggers Liberals and when they protest during it it triggers Conservatives.

Your comment is digesting today.  You should be ashamed of yourself. 
Na.   He is fine.   He stated in the past that friends that don't see the world his way are eliminated  from his friend circle.     You gotta respect  that kind of nose to grind stone.

:lol:   pretty much.  people just don't want it to be even more polical, I guess? 
I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t play the anthem - not an issue I care that much about.  But I definitely don’t get the idea that the anthem is political.  Unless I don’t understand what you guys are meaning by political.

Doesn’t bother me.  Neither does an athlete talking politics postgame or thanking God or much of anything…it does not affect my enjoyment of the sport.

I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t play the anthem - not an issue I care that much about.  But I definitely don’t get the idea that the anthem is political.  Unless I don’t understand what you guys are meaning by political.
It is political, as is the flag.  I wish it wasn't, but it is.

I'm writing this without judgment of a side:

For a long time, people who I believe overwhelming are on the Left have protested the flag.  This is typically in the context of some issue with America (not saying these people don't still love America or they may not).  The flag and the anthem are proxies for "America" in these protests.,

In general conservatives seem to be much more willing to express their pride/love of America and by proxy the flag and the anthem.

My sense is particularly over the past 10-20yrs, for sure the past 5 there's been an escalating drawing of sides here.  Conservative politicians are seeing this and magnifying their use of these symbols of America.  Liberals are by default distancing and are kind of caught in the middle as many of their associates continue to "protest" the flag and the anthem and I think a lot of them would prefer they didn't.  Rinse and repeat, the fault line widens every year. 

Exhibit A

Last edited by a moderator:
It is political, as is the flag.  I wish it wasn't, but it is.

I'm writing this without judgment of a side:

For a long time, people who I believe overwhelming are on the Left have protested the flag.  This is typically in the context of some issue with America (not saying these people don't still love America or they may not).  The flag and the anthem are proxies for "America" in these protests.,

In general conservatives seem to be much more willing to express their pride/love of America and by proxy the flag and the anthem.

My sense is particularly over the past 10-20yrs, for sure the past 5 there's been an escalating drawing of sides here.  Conservative politicians are seeing this and magnifying their use of these symbols of America.  Liberals are by default distancing and are kind of caught in the middle as many of their associates continue to "protest" the flag and the anthem and I think a lot of them would prefer they didn't.  Rinse and repeat, the fault line widens every year. 

Exhibit A
Standing and singing the National Anthem is a political act. It has nothing to do with left or right, liberals or conservatives. 

Standing and singing the National Anthem is a political act. It has nothing to do with left or right, liberals or conservatives. 
Can you elaborate?  You explained what it has nothing to do with...but not what politics it does have something to do with.

Can you elaborate?  You explained what it has nothing to do with...but not what politics it does have something to do with.
An open declaration of affinity, pride and respect for your nation is a political act. Just as demonstrating criticism, disdain or disrespect for your country is a political act. 

An open declaration of affinity, pride and respect for your nation is a political act. Just as demonstrating criticism, disdain or disrespect for your country is a political act. 
Hmm, I considered it more patriotic that political...do you mean political on an intranational stage/scope?  Since you specifically said it was political but not based on the the terms we usually use to describe domestic politics.

Hmm, I considered it more patriotic that political...do you mean political on an intranational stage/scope?  Since you specifically said it was political but not based on the the terms we usually use to describe domestic politics.
Do you think demonstrations against the USA are political?  If so, why wouldn’t demonstrations in support of the USA be political?

As usual, somebody else words it so much better than I could.  Yes, this is my sentiment when I posted my last post.   Having the NA during sporting events already introduces politics into the equation, so I think it's a bit odd when people complain about politics in sports.   

And don't get me started on God Bless America... 

Do you think demonstrations against the USA are political?  If so, why wouldn’t demonstrations in support of the USA be political?
That's why I went the international route, yes that clearly makes sense to me at the international level because you are talking about one participant politicking for/against another.

Can politics exist without two entities engaged in politicking?  Who am I politicking with when I sing a song that affirms my love of country?  Am I saying I support or don't support my fellow countryperson?  And I think this is rather loosely using the term "demonstration" vs I think what we commonly think of as demonstration which is a specific statement supporting or opposing a specific issue.

Either way...it has also become a right/left political issue.

That's why I went the international route, yes that clearly makes sense to me at the international level because you are talking about one participant politicking for/against another.

Can politics exist without two entities engaged in politicking?  Who am I politicking with when I sing a song that affirms my love of country?  Am I saying I support or don't support my fellow countryperson?  And I think this is rather loosely using the term "demonstration" vs I think what we commonly think of as demonstration which is a specific statement supporting or opposing a specific issue.

Either way...it has also become a right/left political issue.
I agree that it (unfortunately) is starting to become a right/left issue. But political acts don’t have to be adversarial.

Users who are viewing this thread