What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Facebook? (2 Viewers)

I opened an account as an agreement with my teenage son to being able to monitor his account. I log on once a month to find friend requests from people I'm happy to have forgotten and 120 ridiculous coffees and beers and shet. Nice to be able to catch up with friends that have moved out of province but if I spend 30 minutes once a month there, thats it.

How do you deal with friends requests from people you wish would disappear from the planet? Couple of hubbys friends from ball I barely know, guys from high school etc have friend requested. No idea why. People are idiots.

How do you deal with friends requests from people you wish would disappear from the planet? Couple of hubbys friends from ball I barely know, guys from high school etc have friend requested. No idea why. People are idiots.
Accept them as friends, completely ignore them after that. It's stupid as hell. I started one six months or so ago. I check it daily, but for about 2 minutes at a time, just seeing what my friends are up to with the status updates. Usually check a couple times a day on my blackberry when I'm bored too. Those visits last about 30 seconds. I have no idea what people do on there for hours.

The ex set it up and ran it for me for awhile. Was big at school too. Never really got into it myself though other than to respond to messages or use it if i forgot someone's e-mail, but many people spend hours on it.
Right

Accept them as friends, completely ignore them after that. It's stupid as hell. I started one six months or so ago. I check it daily, but for about 2 minutes at a time, just seeing what my friends are up to with the status updates. Usually check a couple times a day on my blackberry when I'm bored too. Those visits last about 30 seconds. I have no idea what people do on there for hours.
:lmao: I spent a little more time on there at first, but once you have it all set up, there's not much to do but read people's updates or look at their new pictures, maybe throw an octopus or two back at them if you want to.

Explain to me why a grown man would need to facebook.
:thumbup: explain to me why grown men spend hours on a messageboard? ;)
:lmao: Touche. Something just screams teenager or creepy old guy when I think of facebook. Of course this is from the guy that's sent one text message in his life and was annoyed that I had to do it.
:popcorn: I have enough innernets crap I can not keep track of, adding a Facebook page would throw me over the edge.................

I'm on and was really active at first (about 6 months ago)...searching for people I knew, doing stupid applications, etc.

Then I ignored it for about 3 months, just confirming or denying friend requests. Just recently got back on there lately...maybe because FF is over.

I've found out that half of my HS graduating class is already divorced. I also have reconnected with a couple of college teammates that I'd lost track of as well as this Swiss guy who was a foreign exchange student my senior year. Funniest European I'd ever met.

I like it, but only spend 15-30 minutes a day on there...usually checking in 3 or 4 times during work.

The worst thing about it is deciding whether or not to add people as friends who have requested it. I feel like a snob turning down people I kind of knew, but too many friends can clutter the thing up.

I recently joined and spend more time than I should there - but since the season is over it's really replaced my FFA time as opposed to adding to my overall wasted time.

It's been good to reconnect with folks I've lost track of from HS or college (I'm not very good at "staying in touch" with people). Sure, there are occasional folks I've chosen to leave behind, but for the most part I've just ignored those so far.

I saw that there is an Audible group, but I was surprised there isn't a FBG group.

I have one, but I'm too old for it. I do like it as an easy way to stay in touch with some friends/acquaintances but there's definitely a downside. For one thing, I largely hate status updates. For every one or two facebook friends I have who gives interesting ones, there are twenty who share every detail of their lives. This gives me far too much insight into them. For instance, I didn't need to know that the girl I had a crush on in high school is a scary evangelical. Or that the future co-worker who has pretty much the most impressive credentials I've ever seen is actually pretty inane personally.

The worst thing about it is deciding whether or not to add people as friends who have requested it. I feel like a snob turning down people I kind of knew, but too many friends can clutter the thing up.
The option "less about _____" is nice for reducing clutter.In the future, you will see fewer stories about facebook addicted girl you kinda remember from high school.

I finally signed up a couple days ago after my wife being addicted for the last 6 months. She was Facebook friends with a lot of my real life every day friends, so I figured I would join.

I then start looking around at some of my good friends' friends, and my college roommate list is basically a who's who of my old girlfriends. So, a couple days go by, I just send a couple friend requests to my really good friends that I already see all the time. Well, they're friends with people who see my name and within the last day I've gotten requests from 4 old girlfriends among many other random people.

Worlds colliding, big time. I'm also getting the barely knews and the didn't want to knows...and actually some don't knows. I am already thinking this was a bad idea. My wife is going to be really happy if she finds out who some of these "friends" actually are.

Last edited by a moderator:
The option "less about _____" is nice for reducing clutter.In the future, you will see fewer stories about facebook addicted girl you kinda remember from high school.
See, I had no idea how to do that. Thanks, that should come in handy.

Yes.

Mafia Wars is addicting. If I didn't get sucked into that, I'd spend alot less time there. It is interesting imo for us late 20/early 30 somethings to see where people are at that we've lost touch with and their families, etc.

How do you hide your online status on facebook? I keep getting people trying to chat, and it bugs the hell outta me. tia.

Never used facebook. I would expect it to be similar to my use of Friendster and Myspace:

1. Sign up

2. Add a bunch of old hs and college friends.

3. Spend hours looking at how many pounds the hot girl added and whether our hunches about the gay guy turned out to be true.

4. Send messages about how cool it is to catch up and plan on meeting up.

5. Never get around to hanging out.

6. After 2 weeks of heavy use, only rarely log in.

7. After several months to a year, delete account.

One of Facebook's language options is "Pirate". I really can't recommend it highly enough.
Yarrrr.
Holy #### this is genius. :fishing:
The only downside is that I have no idea what anything does now. For example, I just "keelhauled a salty wench off th' crow's nest", which either means I messaged my high school sweetheart, or sent my boss some pictures of myself wearing a beer box on my head while smoking a giant bong. It's still totally worth it.

One of Facebook's language options is "Pirate". I really can't recommend it highly enough.
Yarrrr.
Holy #### this is genius. :confused:
The only downside is that I have no idea what anything does now. For example, I just "keelhauled a salty wench off th' crow's nest", which either means I messaged my high school sweetheart, or sent my boss some pictures of myself wearing a beer box on my head while smoking a giant bong. It's still totally worth it.
:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread