What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think you would be a good NFL GM? (1 Viewer)

Do you think you would be a good NFL GM?

• Yes, I could jump in and be one of the top 5 GMs in the league right away

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Yes, might take a year to get my bearings but I would be successful over time

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Yes, I could at least be a middle of the pack GM in the NFL

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • No, I would struggle at best, and probably crash and burn

Votes: 47 45.6%

• Total voters
I'd say middle of the pack, assuming I had a separate person handling contracts. For pure talent evals, and roster building I don't think I'd be top-5, but certainly better than many current GM's. I can't imagine I'd be worse than Tannenbaum for instance.

I thought everyone who played fantasy football was  just a football fan who was frustrated they could never be GM's but inside always felt they could do better then team they follow.

I cannot imagine a random person off the street could walk in the GM office and be successful.  You would have to understand the salary cap, contracts, offenses, defenses, have a long term plan in regards to each, etc.  So many things one would have to know it would make your head explode.  Now if you were to say director of scouting then that would be more realistic to whittle down the job role of identifying talent.

I'd say middle of the pack, assuming I had a separate person handling contracts. For pure talent evals, and roster building I don't think I'd be top-5, but certainly better than many current GM's. I can't imagine I'd be worse than Tannenbaum for instance.
This is about right.  If you can get an egghead to go over the numbers with you and eliminate that from your job description then I would imagine being a GM would get incredibly easier.  But then again that is one of the top skills for that position, massaging contracts in regards to that players skill level and predicting said skill level years out.

This is about right.  If you can get an egghead to go over the numbers with you and eliminate that from your job description then I would imagine being a GM would get incredibly easier.  But then again that is one of the top skills for that position, massaging contracts in regards to that players skill level and predicting said skill level years out.
Agreed, I think if the job was just, the draft, free agency scouting(identifying players of interest) self team scouting(identifying needs, and cutting down the roster) that I could that aspect better than at least 10 current NFL GM's. Just would basically need a comptroller of sorts.

Jump right in? No chance.

Let me apprentice with someone for 3-5 years and then take the reins? Absolutely.
90% of successful corporate leadership boils down to three overarching qualities: hiring the right people, communicating effectively, and making (and sticking with) tough decisions. At least based on my 20 years in corporate America, these apply regardless of industry and - while there are a thousand other factors that carry some weight - if you can't handle those three, it doesn't matter how good you are at the rest.

If I crash and burn, it'd be because I didn't have the specific industry connections to know where the true high performers are sitting and/or convince them to come work for me. If you could guarantee me success on item 1, I think I could handle the rest well enough to at least tread water while I learn the ropes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I could do well as a GM's right hand man, where he listens to me about the things where I have insight. But if I had to do the whole job I'd probably crash and burn. I'd stand a better chance as GM if I had at least a few years experience nearby to learn the job and identify good people to hire, but even with that I'd put more than 50% on crash and burn.

I cannot imagine a random person off the street could walk in the GM office and be successful.  You would have to understand the salary cap, contracts, offenses, defenses, have a long term plan in regards to each, etc.  So many things one would have to know it would make your head explode.
You must be new around here. Everyone here is better than their team's GM.  Just ask them.

You must be new around here. Everyone here is better than their team's GM.  Just ask them.
Removing everything else and putting it aside, I can honestly say I would be as good if not better then Marty freaking Hurney at identifying players and drafting.  The dude is the absolute worst.

Removing everything else and putting it aside, I can honestly say I would be as good if not better then Marty freaking Hurney at identifying players and drafting.  The dude is the absolute worst.
Well then you should apply for that job. I'm not saying all 32 gms are geniuses, just that many of their critics have no clue of what the job entails.

Well then you should apply for that job. I'm not saying all 32 gms are geniuses, just that many of their critics have no clue of what the job entails.
I couldnt do the job off the street.  All things considered he is better than me at GM, but I would never trade up for an Appy State qb in the 3rd round and try and convert him to wr.

I cannot imagine a random person off the street could walk in the GM office and be successful.  You would have to understand the salary cap, contracts, offenses, defenses, have a long term plan in regards to each, etc.  So many things one would have to know it would make your head explode.  Now if you were to say director of scouting then that would be more realistic to whittle down the job role of identifying talent.

90% of successful corporate leadership boils down to three overarching qualities: hiring the right people, communicating effectively, and making (and sticking with) tough decisions. At least based on my 20 years in corporate America, these apply regardless of industry and - while there are a thousand other factors that carry some weight - if you can't handle those three, it doesn't matter how good you are at the rest.

If I crash and burn, it'd be because I didn't have the specific industry connections to know where the true high performers are sitting and/or convince them to come work for me. If you could guarantee me success on item 1, I think I could handle the rest well enough to at least tread water while I learn the ropes.
That's pretty much my thought - I'd probably fail because I don't know who the good scouts, talent developers, etc or really how do identify those guys before they make it. 

People move up the chain of command in the NFL for the same reason they do in any other industry - it's just easier to promote from within. You're dealing with known quantities, the learning curve is generally much less steep, many of the connections are already made, and it spreads a nice warm glow around the rest of the company. "Someday, that could be me."

But once you get to the very topmost levels of an organization, the "how" you run things is far more important than the "what" you're running. If this wasn't the case, every single Fortune 500 CEO brought in from a different industry would crash and burn right out of the gate. Berkshire Hathaway wouldn't be a thing. And so on.

Being a successful GM obviously requires a broad collection of skills - the three I listed earlier, for sure, plus an extremely high degree of mental flexibility and curiosity and a love of negotiation. But I'd put one person with a mastery of those skillsets and little to no NFL experience up against 32 guys with gaping holes in those skillsets and decades of NFL experience any day of the week.

The best to be honest. 

33 years making my living walking out of a strangers home with a check in my hand.  Could sell ice to an Eskimo.

Insurance biz.  Key words.........create the need.

I’d take the job and base all of my decisions on FBG message board opinion. Clearly Top 5.  

In reality I’d have no idea what I was doing. Fail. 

Consessions, merchandising, accounts payable and receivables, security and ground maintenance to name a few of the responsibilities apart from the competitive football aspects. A huge job. Delagating to competence a must imo.

If you currently run an office, restaurant, department store, maintenance company, and sports team all at once, you are qualified. Everyone else would be learning on the fly.

Consessions, merchandising, accounts payable and receivables, security and ground maintenance to name a few of the responsibilities apart from the competitive football aspects. A huge job. Delagating to competence a must imo.
Thats on the Team president not GM.

wrong quote.  gonna delete this.

I feel somewhat confident I could be successful but the basis of my philosophy would be hiring smart successful people. My success would not be due to my in-depth football knowledge. 

How did Sashi crash and burn?  He provided the Browns with unprecedented draft capital.  
I agree, Sashi and the 76ers guy  (name is escaping me) did an incredibly good job turning those rosters around. It is a shame they aren't still there to keep the engine turning. 

I agree, Sashi and the 76ers guy  (name is escaping me) did an incredibly good job turning those rosters around. It is a shame they aren't still there to keep the engine turning. 
Sam Hinkie.

The sad part about Sashi is all that talent they accumulated was negated by Hue Jackson.  3-36 as a head coach for the Browns; 5-3 after he left.  Then he went to the Bengals and ruined that team.

The Browns offense next year with Monken and Kitchens is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

How did Sashi crash and burn?  He provided the Browns with unprecedented draft capital.  
He did, but the guys he drafted came up short.  Dorsey turned over 3/4 of the roster.  So...  creating draft capital and cap space -- excellent.  Creating a playoff caliber team -- not so much!

Sam Hinkie.

The sad part about Sashi is all that talent they accumulated was negated by Hue Jackson.  3-36 as a head coach for the Browns; 5-3 after he left.  Then he went to the Bengals and ruined that team.

The Browns offense next year with Monken and Kitchens is going to be a lot of fun to watch.
Todd Haley had full autonomy on the offense.

I'd say yes for me after a learning curve. I feel like I'm someone who is very dedicated to his craft, whatever that may be. I dont think I'd be great because I am not a big film junkie or coach in football but arent that's what scouts are for :)

I'd likely flop.... but I'd like to think I could do well. 

I would have loved to have been a scientist at NASA too :)   Or a renowned Archaeologist like Howard Carter.   Playing GM in fantasy football does put images of being a "real" GM into some people's head but without merit.   I suppose I'll just have to be happy being a software engineer and leave the Colts GM job up to Chris Ballard, who I like a lot by the way.

The lack of humility and self awareness by some on this board are nothing short of astounding.  I’d almost assuredly fail, and most probably quickly and miserably like everyone else.  There are what - maybe 12 to 18 guys in the world at any given time who manage being a GM in the NFL competently?

Let’s see.  You have to:

Put together a competent and cohesive coaching staff, and then give them the proper amount of rein to do their jobs while making sure that the control of the team doesn’t get away from you,

Manage the egos, discipline, problems, and press of a large group of grown men,  many of whom act like high school sophomores and make too much money, and have had a lifetime of getting away with too much while getting stroked by many close to them who can be horrendous influences,

Then you have to make sure the coaching staff and players maintain the properly proportioned relationships and handle the battles that will happen between the two groups,

Manage or assist in managing the facilities, operations, support staff, and logistics of both home and away games,

Prepare for the draft and the coaching and players issues associated with becoming knowledgeable about 500+ college players each year enough to judge whether you want and/or need them on your team and how their egos and abilities fit in,

Establish relationships with 31 other GMs so that you can make trades that come out in your favor while they are all trying to screw you at every turn while smiling and blowing wet sloppy kisses at you,

Manage the short term and long term salary cap, deal with your impending FAs while becoming educated about all the FAs coming onto the market place,

watch hours and hours of film each week to maintain minimal working knowledge about your own team and other teams during the OTAs, preseason, regular season, and hopefully playoffs,

and maintain good relationships with the community, municipalities, press and authorities while some of them are doing their very best to sink their teeth into you.

Oh, and be prepared to work 70 to 80 hours a week to just tread water in doing all the above while maintaining your own family and friends.

I swear to God I'd do a better job than Bruce Allen.  Simply following the Costanza method of doing the opposite would be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread