What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dognerds: Pick the Otis family dog breed (1 Viewer)

Most of the rescues seem to be pit mixes. If you want to be mad at anyone for the massive number of rescues, let's blame all the pit bull nerds with neck tats fueling their proliferation.  It's neither a problem of my own making, nor one that I'm in any position to fix or, frankly, care all that much about.  Sorry, I know that makes the dog peeps really angry. 
Point is here are two is a Doodle rescue, specifically rescuing doodles, in NY. They are not pit mixes. And what's great about these places is they will tell you way more about the dogs than most breeder's will be able to.

One

Last edited by a moderator:
There are breed specific rescues out there for damn near every breed imaginable. My neighbor just rescued a 2 year-old goldendoodle that is a great dog and came well-trained. My other neighbor just rescued a Great Pyrenees puppy from someone who had the dog shipped across the country and was second guessing their decision to manage such a big dog. 

Not only do you save a dog from possibly being euthanized, you get the dog for waaaaaay less money than buying from a breeder. Out here in CA there are is an abundance of poodle breeds and pitbulls (which I realize you are against)
With little kids in my home, and their friends in the home, I just am not the guy to take that risk.  And if the dog ends up a snapping, nasty jackhole and I have to give it up, that's three girls' hearts I've broken.  Sorry, I'm not the one in a position to be dog saver guy.  
I'll echo Dickies' post and think you're missing the point. 

A lot of these breed specific rescues are not your run of the mill shelters where you're blindly adopting a dog.  Many are foster based, where they're rescuing very specific dogs that fit their profiles.  The dogs are thoroughly evaluated before being taken to a foster home.  From there, the fosters keep them for varying amounts of time depending on the dog's situation.  Once the foster feels the dog is ready, they put them up for adoption.  People can apply for adoption and go through a thorough process to vet the family, their home, etc.  Once you're ready to adopt a specific dog, they send you a full profile on the dog to see if they meet your expectations.  If they do, you formally apply and then the rescue + foster parents determine if you're the best match for the dog and vice versa.  

We started the process with a Lab rescue in Aug and finally found a match last month.  It was frustrating (we were previously 0 for 5), but the end result was a picture perfect match.  When we applied for a dog, we got an 8 page profile describing every little detail about the dog based on the Foster's experiences with them.  With the dog we ended up adopting, that profile was so spot on we knew him before we ever met him in person.  

I hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears; these rescues are doing amazing work.

I'd worry about health problems later on with all these recent hybrid doodle variations.  Off the top of my head larger hypo allergenic breeds, Standard Schnauzer, Kerry Blue Terrier, Airdale Terrier, and a Wheaton terrier.  Standard poodles are also very nice.

Ned said:
I'll echo Dickies' post and think you're missing the point. 

A lot of these breed specific rescues are not your run of the mill shelters where you're blindly adopting a dog.  Many are foster based, where they're rescuing very specific dogs that fit their profiles.  The dogs are thoroughly evaluated before being taken to a foster home.  From there, the fosters keep them for varying amounts of time depending on the dog's situation.  Once the foster feels the dog is ready, they put them up for adoption.  People can apply for adoption and go through a thorough process to vet the family, their home, etc.  Once you're ready to adopt a specific dog, they send you a full profile on the dog to see if they meet your expectations.  If they do, you formally apply and then the rescue + foster parents determine if you're the best match for the dog and vice versa.  

We started the process with a Lab rescue in Aug and finally found a match last month.  It was frustrating (we were previously 0 for 5), but the end result was a picture perfect match.  When we applied for a dog, we got an 8 page profile describing every little detail about the dog based on the Foster's experiences with them.  With the dog we ended up adopting, that profile was so spot on we knew him before we ever met him in person.  

I hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears; these rescues are doing amazing work.
That sounds like a lot of work. 

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
dkp993 said:
Boxers.  Amazing dogs and outstanding with kids.  Owned 3 (just got an 8week old pup on Monday for my 4 year old daughter).  Got my first one because I had a Rotty and didn’t want a dog that shed like crazy and dislike small dogs.  
I have 2 boxers and my daughters are 9 and 4. Perfect dogs, especially for kids. The dogs take turns sleeping in the girls bedrooms. Very loyal and protective. 
I’ll never own a different breed. 

dkp993 said:
Boxers.  Amazing dogs and outstanding with kids.  Owned 3 (just got an 8week old pup on Monday for my 4 year old daughter).  Got my first one because I had a Rotty and didn’t want a dog that shed like crazy and dislike small dogs.  
We have one and he is simply amazing.  They are truly the "clowns" of the dog world. Anyone who has or has had a boxer can watch that and completely relate.  Anyone who doesn't probably looks at that and thinks they are nuts.

But, they definitely shed and I don't think Oats can give one the time it needs.

We have one and he is simply amazing.  They are truly the "clowns" of the dog world. Anyone who has or has had a boxer can watch that and completely relate.  Anyone who doesn't probably looks at that and thinks they are nuts.

But, they definitely shed and I don't think Oats can give one the time it needs.
Definitely agree, They are probably my favorite breed other than Rottweiler.  I had a Boxer when I was younger and thoroughly enjoyed the breed.  I would love to have another Boxer or Rottweiler, but I don't have the space to adequately give them the space they need and the wife does not want that large of a breed in the house so we settled on the Boston.   I miss having a dog, but we are gone so much now that we don't have the lifestyle to bring a puppy into the mix.

Definitely agree, They are probably my favorite breed other than Rottweiler.  I had a Boxer when I was younger and thoroughly enjoyed the breed.  I would love to have another Boxer or Rottweiler, but I don't have the space to adequately give them the space they need and the wife does not want that large of a breed in the house so we settled on the Boston.   I miss having a dog, but we are gone so much now that we don't have the lifestyle to bring a puppy into the mix.
Had a Rotty and my first Boxer at the same time in my early 20’s.  Rottys are amazing dogs, but shed like a MF’er.  

Had a Rotty and my first Boxer at the same time in my early 20’s.  Rottys are amazing dogs, but shed like a MF’er.  
I had 3 Rottys, never noticed that with any of them.  They were outside 95% of the time though.  Some of the best dogs I ever had with my daughters when they were younger.

I have a Boxer and just got a French Bulldog.  Boxers are great dogs, very patient with puppies and small ones.  Our frenchie is a great pup too.  Tons of personality and loves to be on the lap...

Former neighbors had two boxers.  Very athletic.  Sweet, even timid.  My first exposure to that breed.  I liked them but thought they needed a great deal of exercise.  Of course those two had each other and a large yard in which to run.

Otis said:
Mrs. O in communication with a breeder in North Carolina.  She has some Irish Doodles coming in December.  Supposedly non-shedding and great dogs, and these will be mid-sized, a nice compromise between the lap dogs and not lap dogs.

We'll see.
We got a doodle, for the alleged non shedding.

He sheds.

Great dog.

I would just get a lab, they are the best dog and check all the dog boxes of being good dogs. I prefer black ones, but you can get a yellow one if you want. 

I would just get a lab, they are the best dog and check all the dog boxes of being good dogs. I prefer black ones, but you can get a yellow one if you want. 
Have have had yellow but chocolates rule. I have a 115 pound English chocolate lab. Louie is a lovable BEAST.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I’ve always had bigger dogs 50lbs+ and that is what I prefer but one thing to consider is,  

big dog = big poop!

Of course you could afford the pooper scooper company that comes out and cleans your yard up. I had two boys that seemed to get in trouble enough to keep our yard cleaned up. 

We currently have an Australian Labradoodle. Medium sized, about 35-40 lbs. She really doesn't shed. No hair anywhere, which is great. Kids are allergic to other animals so we wanted to try this breed out and they have had no problems. The rub is that she is tough to groom. At least, I don't like to deal with it so when her hair gets really long it gets matted and she has to get shorn like a sheep. To avoid that, we'd have to brush her out a lot at home or pay to get more regular grooming. Not terrible, but we do spend way more on grooming than any dog I've had. She is probably more poodle than lab. Smart dog. Very playful. Loves our kids. Very athletic dog. We probably don't give her nearly enough exercise as she probably needs. 

Users who are viewing this thread