What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dognerds: Pick the Otis family dog breed (1 Viewer)

Belgian Malinois. 

Edit: Nevermind. They shed & may be too active for you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Or Australian Shepherd...very trendy on the city now, which will appeal to dad, and very smart, cut and loyal, which will appeal to the rest of the family.
Great dogs but heavy shedders and require lots of exercise.

Most people buy dogs for the way they look, not for what the dog is

Boxers.  Amazing dogs and outstanding with kids.  Owned 3 (just got an 8week old pup on Monday for my 4 year old daughter).  Got my first one because I had a Rotty and didn’t want a dog that shed like crazy and dislike small dogs.  
Was going to suggest this, really meets all your requirements and in my experience, (never owned but family members have), sweet smart and well behaved dogs.

Labradoodle is the only hypoallergenic choice on your list. 
There’s really no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. 

Also need to be careful with these doodle crosses.  There are a lot of health issues popping up with people trying to pretend to be real breeders. 

I agree with @comfortably numb suggestion on Viszla. Great dogs that shouldnt shed a lot.  Just be prepared to exercise them frequently. 

Bichon frise. They are great dogs; playful, calm, great with kids, low maintenance other than needing to be groomed/brushed.
Bichon’s meet all of Otis’ conditions except his preference for a big dog.

Bichons are small, but they aren’t a toy breed.They are a robust breed that will happily go for walks, play fetch, roughhouse a bit, etc. They’re good for a lot more than lap surfing (though they’re great at that, too :)  ).

Also need to be careful with these doodle crosses.  There are a lot of health issues popping up with people trying to pretend to be real breeders. 

I agree with @comfortably numb suggestion on Viszla. Great dogs that shouldnt shed a lot.  Just be prepared to exercise them frequently. 
Those guys are super high energy needing to be run a lot, no? Similar look... Weimaraner. I've not spent any time with those though.

I'll third the idea of getting a shelter dog.

Is there a breed that categorically will create not a single allergy issue for anyone? No. Are there breeds that have substantially fewer issues in terms of shedding and dander so as to present allergy concerns for materially fewer people? Absolutely. I have a kid with severe allergies and asthma, so we had to do a lot of research and trial runs before getting our dog. The other three breeds listed by O do not fall into that category of pet as far as I am aware. 

Is there a breed that categorically will create not a single allergy issue for anyone? No. Are there breeds that have substantially fewer issues in terms of shedding and dander so as to present allergy concerns for materially fewer people? Absolutely. I have a kid with severe allergies and asthma, so we had to do a lot of research and trial runs before getting our dog. The other three breeds listed by O do not fall into that category of pet as far as I am aware. 
Totally agree. Just cautioning people/Otis that “hypoallergenic“ is misleading.

I do find this whole thread funny. Wasn’t Otis against dogs back in the day or is my notebook off?  Between this and owning a shotgun he’s really turning the corner. 

One thing to keep in mind though, is that even if you get a “hypoallergenic” (I’ll put it in quotes) dog, if it has long hair (like a goldendoodle), it will collect pollen and other allergens in its coat if it spends time outside, particularly during allergy season. Accordingly, regular bathing is suggested.

Since when is an Italian Greyhound a larger dog - they weigh 8 to 12 lbs?  Maybe Otis forgot to add he would consider a dog that could fit in his murse?

A college girlfriend had an Italian Greyhound.  I'm a dog lover, always have been, and it's the only dog that I ever actively loathed.  All it did was shake, whine, and bark like a nut at other humans and dogs.  I may have ended up marrying the girl, but the way she overly babied her annoying dog let me know the kind of doting helicopter mom she would turn into.

We have an older German Shorthaired Pointer and a younger Boston Terrier.  Neither is hypo-allergenic but they don't shed much.  GSP fits the size profile Otis is looking for, and is a great family dog.  They just need a lot of exercise.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I, or more accurately my wife, adopted a older Boarder Collie 1.5 years ago and she is probably the best dog I’ve ever owned.

smart, well tempered and all it wants to do is heard things in.  Not worried about my daughter sneaking out of the house.

We have an older German Shorthaired Pointer and a younger Boston Terrier.  Neither is hypo-allergenic but they don't shed much.  GSP fits the size profile Otis is looking for, and is a great family dog.  They just need a lot of exercise.  
GSP is my second favorite breed next to a Lab. :wub:  

CURRENT LIST IN THE RUNNING

Labradoodle

Mountain Cur

italian Greyhound

Vizsla
We have a Tennessee Treeing Brindle, which is basically a Mountain Cur. She is the smartest dog I’ve ever known. Shorthair, no smell and athletic as heck. So fun. She’ll get to 50 Pounds full grown. Highly recommend.

Riley

Shih-Poo would work for you 

ETA: although any dog at your local shelter would make a great companion.

Also - I had a vizsla for 13 years. I loved her, but she was a ####### spaz. And while she had very short hair, she shed quite a bit and I stil find those little rust colored hairs all over my house.

We had a German Shorthaired Pointer when I was growing up.  They are awesome dogs and my favorite breed.

I want to also go with the others who have said to get a shelter dog.

Boxers.  Amazing dogs and outstanding with kids.  Owned 3 (just got an 8week old pup on Monday for my 4 year old daughter).  Got my first one because I had a Rotty and didn’t want a dog that shed like crazy and dislike small dogs.  
I have a boxer now and had one previously.

No chance. Boxers still shed a good bit and they can be quite active. Yes, they are great with families, but not sure it's a great match for Otis. Same with a Viszla. Dude barely has time to exercise himself, no chance he's going to give a dog what he needs.

He needs a low maintenance dog if he goes through with this.

Boston Terrier might be a good fit. Get it from a shelter too. They are cheap there at $5K and you're doing a good thing.

Oats - my SIL has two of the designer doodle breeds, one Chesapeake Bay and one Yellow Lab. They are both high energy idiots and you'd be looking for a new home for them very quickly IMO.

The ideal dog for the Oats family is a Great Dane. Giant lazy mofos, doesn't require a ton of walking / exercise. I do like you're idea of a greyhound since they are also low energy. Stay away from any shepherds or really any working dogs IMO, so that takes the Cur out of your list.

Curs are working dogs and generally require a lot of exercise or will get destructive. We have two Catahoula Leopards (in the Cur family) and one is a pretty lazy guy (breeder told us he had zero interest in working or hunting) and one high energy guy. Tons of work. Very protective of the family though.

Whatever you do research the breed extensively, find a dog that fits the Oats lifestyle....ie won't get a ton of exercise or work.

Was coming to post that I'm sure Otis will get a  $5K dog from a breeder, but implore you to get a rescue.  
You can't always get a rescue. We tried multiple times to find a Catahoula and they are usually adopted in less than a day, so we couldn't. Went the route of a breeder that we will continue to buy from as long as she's breeding.

You can't always get a rescue. We tried multiple times to find a Catahoula and they are usually adopted in less than a day, so we couldn't. Went the route of a breeder that we will continue to buy from as long as she's breeding.
there might be a nuance between rescue and shelter, so what i just meant was a dog that is already living and in need of a good home.

Let me start with #nopitbulls

Our girls are young and love dogs and we are considering further complicating our lives with a dumb animal.  We’ve decided we don’t want something that sheds hair all over our crap or that leaves our house smelling like a barn, so we want something that doesn’t shed and is hypoallergenic. Otis prefers a bigger dog. 

Mrs. O seems set on a labradoodle, but is willing to do one of the bigger ones. I may be OK with that, but I’m also interested in a mountain cur or an Italian greyhound. 

Thoguhts/ recommendations?  Requirements are we don’t want hair all over the place and don’t want the place to smell like ###, something good for a family and kids, and (for Otis), a breed that is hypoallergenic, and something that isn’t small and totally lame (I had a west highland terrier growing up). 

TIA 
Mutt. 

Boxers are awesome. Great with kids, cats, other dogs. 

As an aside, we currently have an 11 year old pit bull. His name is Otis. True story. 

I can't believe I'm writing this and I can't believe I'm about to post it online.  And I promise I'm not kidding here. What you need is a Standard Poodle. I've always thought Poodles of all varieties were ridiculous because, well, Poodle.  But long story short we wound up adopting a Chocolate Standard Poodle about 10 months ago and she has been an unbelievable dog.  She doesn't shed a bit...not a single bit.  It's amazing. She's also smart, super smart. Was doing tricks after 1-2 run throughs at 3-4 months old. Long life expectancy.  For a medium-large dog they are expected to live about 15 years. Goofy and a great personality. Just a joy to be around. She'll grow to be about 60 pounds which is IMO about perfect size for a dog. And, there is no rule that says you have to get that stupid ### poodle haircut on them. We leave ours shaggy but trimmed (still talking about the dog here) and people think she's a labradoodle or something.

I've also learned since getting her that all Poodles don't shed but that trait doesn't always make it through to the mixes so sometimes they can shed. I've also been told by multiple people to avoid the poodle mixes because they often wind up with undesirable traits. No personal experience with that.

Guess Which One Sheds?

100% this.

All the hypo-allergenic dog breeds suck out loud. 

Also - I had a vizsla for 13 years. I loved her, but she was a ####### spaz. And while she had very short hair, she shed quite a bit and I stil find those little rust colored hairs all over my house.
Yea, the female is def spazzier. The do shed the small rust colored hairs. 

Def need to get them out. We have a 60x100 lot and a decent sized yard. Little built in doggie door into the house. Whenever they see/smell/hear someone walking by our corner lot house (every 15min!) they go flying out the door to go say what's up

The ideal dog for the Oats family is a Great Dane. Giant lazy mofos, doesn't require a ton of walking / exercise.
They shed like crazy. We rescued a female Dane that ended up weighing 155 lbs. at 6 months old  (she was big for a girl).  We had so much hair in our house we could have built another dog out of it.

P.S. They only live for 6-8 years.  (ours only made it 6)  And ours had hip dysplasia and had to get a titanium hip ($1500)

P.S.S.  I'm allergic to dog dander.  (we also had a Doberman at the time - she lived to 12 - sweetest dog ever.)

Now we have two "hypoallergenic" dogs - brother/sister Yorkie-Maltipoo.

Loki and Luna

We went from 220 lbs of dog to 13 lbs.

Rhodesian Ridgeback. I’ve been researching dogs for the last year since me and my family also want a dog. I feel like this breed offers the best blend of protection, love, minimal shedding, overall awesomeness.
My former neighbor has a Rhodesian Ridgeback.  She traveled a lot for work so I used to take care of that dog a lot.  They are great dogs.  She's very smart and easy to train.  They're more chill than one might expect, but a lot of exercise is still good for them.  She's also very gentle with her people.  She's kind of aloof with people she doesn't know, but I've never seen her act aggressively in any way.  We live in a city and she's happy and in decent shape since we would take her to the park a lot, but she loves sitting on the couch and watching TV with me too.  

They don't like cold weather and they do shed, but they're short haired so it's not like a Golden Retriever shedding.  They're also big dogs (my neighbor's dog was about 85 lbs.  Males can be over 100lbs), so picking up after them is really gross.  Big piles.

Users who are viewing this thread