What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dogs are freaking AWESOME. (2 Viewers)

Our house has been empty for the past 7 months after having to put down our second lab back in March.  Losing both of our dogs at 14.5 years old within the span of 8 months was a lot to process, but we've healed and felt ready to add a new dog to the family.  We started working with a lab rescue to find our next dog in August; after a long process, we finally found a pup for us.

We picked up Walter on Thursday afternoon.  He was a stray in Philly that someone happened to find being beaten by someone.  The Good Samaritan scooped him up and turned him into the local shelter last month.  The lab rescue pulled him from the shelter and gave him to a foster family to rehab a few weeks ago.  He had a gash on his head that required stitches, but no worse for wear.  With everything he's been through in the last month plus, he's an incredibly well behaved pup.  We're super lucky to have found him.

He's a lab-mix that is the sweetest dog I've ever met.  Short and stocky with huge feet - seems like he's part basset hound.  We're all head over heels in love with him after just a few days.  :wub:  
Seeing this thread bumped compelled me to post an update.   

We are incredibly proud of Walter and the dog he's become.  He has been damn near perfect.  I could write pages about his progress, so I'll just put it in bullets:

• He's so eager to please you which makes him very trainable.  He's mastered leave it, wait, come, and 'this way' (we use that to redirect him when we're off leash and change routes)
  • Almost seems like he came pre-programmed with recall skills.  He's amazing off leash - he's earned our 100% trust.
  • He didn't know how to retrieve, but now can retrieve anything I throw - including actual ducks.  
  • Has the perfect soft hold already, which is a huge step if we teach him to be our duck dog.
  • Never an accident in the house. 
  • Incredibly loyal, loves to snuggle with the kids
  • Just yesterday discovered how to swim; after the 3rd try he was retrieving tennis balls and a duck trainer from the pond for an hour straight.
  • We are still working on his excitement when seeing other dogs.  Its the only time he loses his mind; always desperate to go play with them immediately.

I'm going to have to put down our 13 year old shih tzu today. His kidneys are shutting down. Today is his last treatment of 3. We were really hopeing to give him a few more months but the treatments don't seem to be working. Bad thing is we also have his mom and she is 14 so we will be going through this again soon.

It seems so unfair that dogs lifes are so short with all the joy and love they give you. In the past 13 years I have barely changed but Gator has lived his whole life their time is just too short.

I'm going to have to put down our 13 year old shih tzu today. His kidneys are shutting down. Today is his last treatment of 3. We were really hopeing to give him a few more months but the treatments don't seem to be working. Bad thing is we also have his mom and she is 14 so we will be going through this again soon.

It seems so unfair that dogs lifes are so short with all the joy and love they give you. In the past 13 years I have barely changed but Gator has lived his whole life their time is just too short.
Sorry to hear about your dog Their lives are definitely too short.

I just had to euthanize the last of my 3 elderly dogs a couple of nights ago. It's been tough to lose all three in the past 3 years.

I have a Shih Tzu that's going to be 2 years old next month. I have some friends that say that they could never go through the pain of losing another dog again. It is tough, but I agree with Lord Alfred Tennyson: "Tis better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all".  All these dogs do is give a lot of love.

My mother-in-laws Shih Tzu passed away this morning.  He was almost 15 years old and had a bad heart.  My wife is an absolute mess.  She has taken care of him for those 15 years and it was just as much her dog.  He has been through 4 knee surgeries and we were told in July 2019 he didn't have long due to a "wicked" heart murmur.  He went on medication and it helped for awhile.  He started taking pills twice a day 8 months ago and my wife has been giving them to him everyday at 6am and 6pm.  She did everything she could to give him the best life possible.  I don't think her mom can get another dog as she is 80 and can't take care of one.  I took him on walks 4 to 5 times a week and he loved that.  I will definitely miss him too.

Im sure I posted about her before by my baby Stella is by far the best dog I have ever had and while I loved all my other dogs, its not even close. I cherish this dog. Shes loyal, sweet, great with my girls and protective. 

Shes 8 years old now and I cherish every moment I have with her. I sometimes catch myself outside with her and Ill be on my phone and Ill remind myself, there will be a day that I would give anything to just play fight with her or sit with her one last time and I put that stupid phone down. (Kinda morbid I know, but Im Irish and we love to think about death) when she goes I will probably cry for weeks. 

Stella at 6 weeks

She loves sitting in chairs

Lets us know when its time to go for a walk

My wife jokes that I have more pictures of Stella than I do my own kids and shes probably right.

Baby its cold outside

Hey Guys. This is a thread that I never thought I would post in, as for most of my life, I have been anti-dog.  The other day, however, I relented and agreed to a boxer puppy with “reverse brindle” and symmetrical white markings. After agreeing, however, some road blocks got put up with work travel and having to drive 6 hours round trip to get the dog. Being already hesitant and with my anxiety high, we canceled the puppy.

Now we all regret it and he is gone.  I legit now actually want one — like it took me having and losing the opportunity to realize that I have come around and see the benefits for out whole family, including mysed. 

I am seeking the wisdom of the board to help me find reputable Boxer breeders and seek other general advice. My life depends on it (wife and kids may murder me). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys. This is a thread that I never thought I would post in, as for most of my life, I have been anti-dog.  The other day, however, I relented and agreed to a boxer puppy with “reverse brindle” and symmetrical white markings. After agreeing, however, some road blocks got put up with work travel and having to drive 6 hours round trip to get the dog. Being already hesitant and with my anxiety high, we canceled the puppy.

Now we all regret it and he is gone.  I legit now actually want one — like it took me having and losing the opportunity to realize that I have come around and see the benefits for out whole family, including mysed. 

I am seeking the wisdom of the board to help me find reputable Boxer breeders and seek other general advice. My life depends on it (wife and kids may murder me). 
i think you should try and spend as much money as possible to get the dog of your dreams.  pure and true of heart…. i mean, it’s not like places are just giving dogs that need homes away nowadays.

eoMMan said:
At emergency clinic now because coffee beans were spilled and this dam bulldog eats everything. 😑 
They got her to vomit about half a cup of beans and think she'll be fine.

Sometimes I wonder if a kid would be cheaper and less of a hassle than a bulldog. 

Osaurus said:
My dog is currently experiencing stage 4 kidney failure. I don’t expect her to make it much longer. She’s 14+ and has had the life any dog would want. 
I'm sorry to hear, man.  My dog is only 16 months, but I already find myself dreading the stage that you're at.  It's like having a child I know will likely die before me.  

Hoping for the best for you and your family.  

https://imghttps://imgur.com/a/pc6AUz2ur.com/a/pc6AUz2 This our new guy he is something else love him to death. Just a PSA came home last night and Jax was bobbin his head very slowly left and right and was walking like he was drunk. He was very lethargic and then he would have a burst of energy like the crazy dog he is then back to walking drunk. Was very worried that it might be something neurological. He was dribbling urine as well. Turns out he was stoned. My wife must have dropped one of her MM capsules at some point and he found it. So we had one stoned pup on our hands. It was a real relief thats all it was. So if you partake legally or not so legal be sure to be careful with your weed because dogs like it too.

What are everyone's thoughts on neutering?  We have a 7 month old shih tzu that is scheduled to be neutered in 2 weeks.  The vet recommended it, but I have also read a lot of articles against it as well.  Just wondering what others have experienced. 

What are everyone's thoughts on neutering?  We have a 7 month old shih tzu that is scheduled to be neutered in 2 weeks.  The vet recommended it, but I have also read a lot of articles against it as well.  Just wondering what others have experienced. 
Neuter

https://imghttps://imgur.com/a/pc6AUz2ur.com/a/pc6AUz2 This our new guy he is something else love him to death. Just a PSA came home last night and Jax was bobbin his head very slowly left and right and was walking like he was drunk. He was very lethargic and then he would have a burst of energy like the crazy dog he is then back to walking drunk. Was very worried that it might be something neurological. He was dribbling urine as well. Turns out he was stoned. My wife must have dropped one of her MM capsules at some point and he found it. So we had one stoned pup on our hands. It was a real relief thats all it was. So if you partake legally or not so legal be sure to be careful with your weed because dogs like it too.
That's a handsome young guy. I'm in between doggers and debating adopting another, I want an old guy that nobody wants from the shelter...

We had to put our 12 1/2 year old dog down yesterday.  We got him from the shelter before we had kids and about 6 months before I left my job to work for myself from home.  He basically has spent every day, all day with me from that point on.  He was a golden/chow mix.  We were first time dog owners and didn't see the chow in his ears which is why he was at the shelter for awhile I think.  But he was very much the golden with our two daughters and the chow when it came to being protective of them. 

We knew the time was nearing, he had a stroke maybe a month ago, had started drinking tons, needing out 2-3 times over the night.  He was having issues with walking and doing any stairs.  He went out Saturday morning and had issues getting back inside, so much so that my wife and I had to lift him up and he started yelping in pain.  We managed to get him into the basement that afternoon and he just never could stand again.  His mind was there, he would eat, but his body quit on him.  Even though I knew it was time to let him go it was a hard thing to have to do.  

We had to put our 12 1/2 year old dog down yesterday.  We got him from the shelter before we had kids and about 6 months before I left my job to work for myself from home.  He basically has spent every day, all day with me from that point on.  He was a golden/chow mix.  We were first time dog owners and didn't see the chow in his ears which is why he was at the shelter for awhile I think.  But he was very much the golden with our two daughters and the chow when it came to being protective of them. 

We knew the time was nearing, he had a stroke maybe a month ago, had started drinking tons, needing out 2-3 times over the night.  He was having issues with walking and doing any stairs.  He went out Saturday morning and had issues getting back inside, so much so that my wife and I had to lift him up and he started yelping in pain.  We managed to get him into the basement that afternoon and he just never could stand again.  His mind was there, he would eat, but his body quit on him.  Even though I knew it was time to let him go it was a hard thing to have to do.  
Man it's one of the hardest things you will have to do in life. Dogs bring so much joy to our lives. My mama Shi Tzu is now almost 16 years old. She has out lived all her pups. I know she has very little time left. She has doggie dementia has a real hard time getting off her favorite chair without our help.  I just can't bring myself to do it even though I know her quality of life is not real good. Every now and then the old Casey comes shining through and it makes it that much harder.

I am not a real religious person but I hope there is some kind of afterlife and that all my buddies will be there to greet me like they did when on earth.

You just have to love 🐕 

so, my rescue, who we are calling 13 in about a week, has doggy dementia.  aka canine cognitive disease.  i came to post here just as a way to inform and kind of vent for a moment.  we got him january 2016 and called him 7 yrs, he was found on the side of the road and we adopted via rescue.  i wanted an older guy, cause i don’t have long term plans here and couldn’t do another 15 years honestly.  he had big time separation issues, but otherwise was a real fun dog.  about 1.5 yrs ago we started to notice some strange stuff…..he seemed to pace a lot, more than usual.  seemed to forget the house, how to climb stairs.  i just laughed it off, age, him getting older, dog stuff.  i had no idea CCD was a thing.  he started getting worse.  stuck in corners, endless pacing, forgot how to use the dog door to go out, some accidents inside.  we started him on gabapentin march 2021and he had a small seizure about 1 week into the meds.  we immediately stopped.  he hasn’t had a seizure since, but he has been on a slow decline and i can’t snap him out.  we are trying anipryl, a med which seems to help the disease,  it it hasn’t hit him yet.  i just bought him some hills b/d food, which i’ve read can help brain function.  luckily i’ve been WFH for 2 years,  but also unlucky cause i spend most days with him downstairs while mrs. works upstairs.  i don’t think i’ve been a good owner or friend to him.  he grates my patience badly and i know it’s not his fault, but it is rough.  i don’t take it out on him of course, but i’m not as smiley as i could be i guess if it was a human relative suffering. i must seem angry to him a lot.  it’s hard getting him back in the yard after he goes out, since he wanders aimlessly for 10-15 minutes until i get him to remember or recognize.  i carry him up and down the stairs, i get him outside multiple times day, i take him for walks, i clean up his pee and poo.  he sleeps the night thankfully, but there are some nights when he is up at 2a.  He is a dog in name only.  he seems to have energy and eats and poops like a champ, but he has no idea.  i find him splayed a lot and i need to pop him on his feet a lot.  he gets into strange places and spots and is constantly stuck.  watching his decline has stressed me badly and i am easily agitated nowadays.  i find i have a hard time getting involved in normal activities, since i need to be on alert.  really can’t travel, leaving with him with his foster family is stressful.  hard to get to the beach condo since we really can’t leave him alone and the condo steps kill me.  we get a sitter for a bit sometimes, but it’s just more stress.  my ultimate goal is living in italy with the mrs. and i’d be there right now probably, but we aren’t going because we are letting our dog live out his life.  but everyday seems a different stressful struggle and i sometimes find myself resentful of the dog.  i hate to say that and i hate to think that, but here i am.  it’s hard to describe in a post, but i don’t know what i am hoping for here.  part of me wants to think it’s his time, part of me wants to be a better pet parent and help him because he is part of the family and i can’t quit on him like he’s a worn out rug.  but i want to get on with my life.  i just don’t know.  the mrs. won’t speak about the options right now.  like i said, i just wanted to vent a little and i do suppose this is what being a pet parent is, but man……..my last guy was sharp as a whip till his body finally gave into to cancer and i figured this guy would go a similar route, but watching his mind turn to mush and thinking to myself what must he be thinking, if he thinks at all, is gutting sometimes.  i hope to god that none of you experience or experienced this ever with a human, much less a dog.  i can’t imagine the stress on everyone.  i feel like on a calm scale, with 10 being the worst, i would normally be a 2.  i am easy going and pretty care free.  it’s about the only thing that has helped me deal and cope.  not much bothers me, i don’t get riled up.  i am not a 1 since i do come from a place many years ago where i had a ragefully hideous temper.  it took me many years to get it under control and i find myself working on that aspect everyday.  my anger pops out internally now and then when i am scrubbing urine or trying to corral the dog, but thankfully nothing that triggers a meltdown.  well, just wanted to destress here a bit and provide a note for you dog owners and to see if anyone might have seen this in their dogs with any suggestions.

PSA - if you didn’t already know and you see these symptoms, it could be CCD, so talk to the vet.

@Chemical XGoing through this right now with Casey my 16 year old Shi Tzu. It's very very tough. Not only does she have doggy dementia she can only see out of one eye and can barely hear. We raised her from a pup. She had one litter of pups and outlived them all. I know the humane thing to do is to put her down  She really has no quality of life and I don't think she knows who we are anymore. I just can't bring myself to do what needs to be done. I still love that dog so much. She so old that I was hoping she would make it easy on me but she's not cooperating thank goodness. 

Don't beat yourself up brother it's a hard thing to go through as a dog lover. You know what needs to be done but just can't do it. It's called being a decent human being.

We took in my wife's grandfather dog after he passed. She didn't have a home. She's 11. Been with us 3 months and gosh darn her anxiety is off the charts.   I can't take a piss without her sitting outside the door. Anxiety training has been slow going.

And how dumb as humans are we. My morning consisted of walking around the back yard picking up frozen ####..... ;)

My wife has had some health issues and needs a walker now. We put some tennis balls on the legs to make it easier to get around. 

Thing is my goofie Bloodhound has started guarding the tennis balls on the walker. Now anytime our little Frenchie gets near the walker Bo looses his ever loving mind. I'm afraid he is going to hurt our little bull dog.

Any suggestions on how to break this. 

Guard dog https://imgur.com/gallery/95zLPXI

My wife has had some health issues and needs a walker now. We put some tennis balls on the legs to make it easier to get around. 

Thing is my goofie Bloodhound has started guarding the tennis balls on the walker. Now anytime our little Frenchie gets near the walker Bo looses his ever loving mind. I'm afraid he is going to hurt our little bull dog.

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Coasters-Tennis-Yellow-Count/dp/B0853DCZ2T?th=1

Try a different color of ball?

My dog has mouth cancer. Big ol' tumor in her mouth that stinks to high heaven. Her back legs are getting extremely weak. Today she had almost no energy.

But she doesn't complain about pain (i.e. She's not whining) and she still had her appetite.

I just don't know if I'm being unfair to her and using the second of conditions over the first as justification for not putting her down.

She's been the best dog ever and I will miss her terribly.

My dog has mouth cancer. Big ol' tumor in her mouth that stinks to high heaven. Her back legs are getting extremely weak. Today she had almost no energy.

But she doesn't complain about pain (i.e. She's not whining) and she still had her appetite.

I just don't know if I'm being unfair to her and using the second of conditions over the first as justification for not putting her down.

She's been the best dog ever and I will miss her terribly.
I'm so sorry. Most people have pointed out that your dog will let you know when it's time. I sould likely just spoil your buddy like crazy.

flick said it was adult content .........
I think Flickr kinda sucks.

And so does cancer. Penny's mouth tumor doubled in size this last week. We were second guessing ourselves five days ago - but today we know it was the right decision to put her to sleep.

Last edited:
We adopted a dog right before Xmas, a 6 year old 40lb hound mix, she's the sweetest thing. It's been over 20 years since I had a dog and I'm loving it. Her story:

She was trapped inside a Mobile home with her 5 puppies and the father of the pups. The Mobile home was filled with filth and debris and the dogs had no access to the outdoors and were forced to relieve themselves inside the home. The environment was a hostile one ending with one of her owners shooting the other.

There was no running water or working toilets for the humans, and the dogs, who had no access to food or water, were walking skeletons, scared and hiding within a tunnel system they created through the debris and clutter in the home. The officers had to crawl through the filth to carefully remove each pup in the home.

Her, her 5 puppies and their father were named the Lucky 7, and all of them have since been placed in foster homes or adopted.

Roxy:

We adopted a dog right before Xmas, a 6 year old 40lb hound mix, she's the sweetest thing. It's been over 20 years since I had a dog and I'm loving it. Her story:

She was trapped inside a Mobile home with her 5 puppies and the father of the pups. The Mobile home was filled with filth and debris and the dogs had no access to the outdoors and were forced to relieve themselves inside the home. The environment was a hostile one ending with one of her owners shooting the other.

There was no running water or working toilets for the humans, and the dogs, who had no access to food or water, were walking skeletons, scared and hiding within a tunnel system they created through the debris and clutter in the home. The officers had to crawl through the filth to carefully remove each pup in the home.

Her, her 5 puppies and their father were named the Lucky 7, and all of them have since been placed in foster homes or adopted.

Roxy:

What an unbelievable story and a beautiful dog. Glad the previous scum that owned them is gone and she has a much better life.

Roxy:

Roxy is indeed a fortunate dog. Scritches to her.

Roxy:

Awesome! That dog deserves it. Nice work man.

We've been blessed with dogs. First was our yellow lab, Bailey. He lasted almost 16 years, from the time my youngest daughter was born until she was a senior in high school. When he crossed the rainbow bridge (ate like a horse until his final days, but back legs went out) it was so tough that we waited a year and a half to get another dog. We hit the jackpot with Louie. The most human ever. English Chocolate Lab. A beast. Dad's name was Diesel and he looked the part. But just a gentle giant, full of life, loved people and dogs. He was such a huge part of our family. Started slowing down as he was approaching 12 in a few months but doing OK. Two 45 minute walks a day, etc. Started throwing up a few days ago. Thought he was getting better but he threw up twice the morning of the 3rd day. Took him to our regular vet. Came in and she got down on one knee to talk with us and I knew it wasn't good. Said his bloodwork showed both this kidneys and liver were failing. One value was supposed to be less than 100 and it was over 2,000. Not good. Said she was very concerned and that he needed intensive care immediately but even then the prognosis was guarded at best. Took him to the best animal hospital around, near UCLA. Plan was to give him IV's, fluids, antibiotics etc then run CTs if needed (was too big for an ultrasound to show everything). We left him overnight and it was so hard. Got the call on Good Friday at 10am and the Internist said the news wasn't good. His bloodwork was worse. Oh man.

She said there was nothing we can do and his body had stopped producing urine, so he was just about in full renal failure. I asked through tears if I could take him home. She said yes, but only if we could have a vet come that day. We called Lap of Love and fortunately on Easter weekend they could do it. All of my kids came home as I went to get Louie. He was comfortable. He actually took a couple bites of Chick Fil A and then we gave him a final puppycino. He laid on the grass as the sun hit him and was resting as we were all petting him and talking with him. I have to say Lap of Love is a great organization. It was peaceful. We gave him a terrific life and he gave us more than we gave him. It's so hard. But I told Mrs. Smails we'll take 2 bad days out of 28 great years. RIP Louie. You were the best boy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread