What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Dolphins at Defending World Champion Kansas City Chiefs (+3.5, 44) - Yep We Are Cuttin’ Glass Over Here Today! *** (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
It's gonna be a nippy one - below zero with the wind chill Saturday night. Whichever team can focus despite the elements wins this game. Two flawed teams, but then again most are this year.

I have no feel for this game yet.

In Miami's last playoff victory 24 years ago, Lamar Smith ran the ball 40 times for 209 yards. Hope Mostert is back and they pound the football with him and Achane.

First off I want to know how someone would know that a witch's you know what is very cold.
Then I want to know how healthy Tyreek Hill is as he returns to Kansas City for a playoff game(storyline).
Then I want to know if Mostert is going to play and if he does how healthy is he?
Then I want to know how many defensive players will be out for Miami.
Then I want to know which officials will be attempting to officiate this game.
Then I want to know why this game is exclusive to Peacock.
When I have all these questions answered I'll make a prediction.

Peacock!

-I know you have an opinion on this Chief, you don't have to repost but basically you have no problem however you need to watch the game
I assume it's on local NBC there in KC?

Everything is set up for a KC victory. I just can't get over how underwhelming they've been. I'll just assume Pacheco is the difference and Kelce makes some clutch catches on 3rd down to keep the ball away from the Dolphins and controls the clock.

Peacock!

-I know you have an opinion on this Chief, you don't have to repost but basically you have no problem however you need to watch the game
I assume it's on local NBC there in KC?
Yeah we get the game on NBC. But I would pay for Peacock if there was another game in this time slot.

I just love sports. It's my hobby. So basically $6 is a few cokes at Quik Trip. Not a big deal. And at this point of my life the whole principle of the thing argument doesn't resonate with me as far as sports go.

It's a changing world and I can either change with it or miss out on things I love. And I'm certainly not gonna miss out for $6.

27-13 KC and the game wont be as close as the score. The players who will be backing up our 2 starting edge rushers (one of whom started the season as our 4th, the other who was playing fortnight on Sundays until December) are not currently on the roster. They've lost 5 of their top 6 edge rushers, their middle LB and defensive play caller, and their 2nd best CB. Their top safety has 2 bad knees. Their offense just put up 47 total second half yards against a beat-up defense, at home in 65 degrees in their biggest regular season game in 3 decades. This team is DONE. Incredible effort winning 11 games with this MASH unit, but expecting them to be competitive against a very good defense and Patrick Mahomes in 0 degree temps on the road is asinine.

There is a way better chance that KC wins this game by 17+ then Miami wins the game. I have never in my 53 years of life bet against Miami, until this week. Its my lock of the century.

I really want the Chiefs to lose this week, but Dolphins have too many injuries on defense. The temperature being what it will be is only going to hurt Miami's chances.

Chiefs: 28
Dolphins: 10

In Miami's last playoff victory 24 years ago, Lamar Smith ran the ball 40 times for 209 yards. Hope Mostert is back and they pound the football with him and Achane.

Mostert isnt the type of running back to just pound into the line all day is he? He's also banged up. Dont know how Achane runs. I think the weather really affects Miami in this game.

Peacock is loving this forecast, should be fun to watch but not play. Good luck to the fans sitting through this one...

I heard somewhere that if the Chiefs win Mahomes will play his first playoff road game. That is insane to me.
Yeah. He's hosted the AFC Championship game every year he has started at QB for the Chiefs. 5 in a row.

Not gonna happen this year. :lol:

Mostert isnt the type of running back to just pound into the line all day is he? He's also banged up. Dont know how Achane runs. I think the weather really affects Miami in this game.
Both backs mostly excel at the outside zone scheme. So it isn't as much pounding into the line as getting them to the ball to go off tackle from the RPO or pitches. Jeff Wilson Jr is more effective between the tackles, but only got 11 carries as his max.

With the way KC has played I cannot say with 100% certainty they win this game. With the way Miami has been injured, I cannot see how the conjure a game plan to mask their deficiencies due to injury.

The wildcards here are Tyreek, Waddle, Ramsey, Wilkins, Tua, and the Dolphins O line. The game in Germany was with the Dolphin D at full strength and the Dolphin O at its best as well and it was decided by a fumble returned for a TD. KC is about the same and Miami is significantly worse on D. I'd love to see the upset, but Either McDaniel figures out a way to score 40 or Fangs duct tapes a defense to slow mahomes.

I'm not going into this with any hope other than the fact both teams will be getting off the bus.

With the way KC has played I cannot say with 100% certainty they win this game. With the way Miami has been injured, I cannot see how the conjure a game plan to mask their deficiencies due to injury.

The wildcards here are Tyreek, Waddle, Ramsey, Wilkins, Tua, and the Dolphins O line. The game in Germany was with the Dolphin D at full strength and the Dolphin O at its best as well and it was decided by a fumble returned for a TD. KC is about the same and Miami is significantly worse on D. I'd love to see the upset, but Either McDaniel figures out a way to score 40 or Fangs duct tapes a defense to slow mahomes.

I'm not going into this with any hope other than the fact both teams will be getting off the bus.
Yep.

I don't see any scenario where either teams wins next week. I'm just gonna have a fire in the fireplace, drink a few cold beers, and just enjoy it.

Dolphins in an upset.
I could see it. The Chiefs are horrible.
We're signing guys off the street to join the Edge unit, this game won't be close and the Chiefs will be resting starters by the 3rd/4th Q
KC hasn't played a good football game in almost 2 months. They lost at home to Aidan O'Connell, I think Tua and co. can do a lot of damage regardless of weather, both running and passing, especially with Waddle and Mostert likely back.

If this game were in Miami, I think the Dolphins would be favored. But honestly, I'm not sure the 10 degrees and snow, helps KC at all. Miami is the one with the much better running game, Miami is the one with the WRs who are dangerous in the open field.

I'm anticipating a lot of short passes by both teams, but I think that also favors Miami. Honestly, I think the only thing that KC has going for them, is the idea that they've been there before and Mahomes/Reid have a history of pulling big games out. But truth be told, Miami has been the better team all season, and even with the EDGE defender injuries, I'd be shocked if KC came anywhere near a blowout. They might eke it out, but Miami winning wouldn't be an upset in the slightest in my opinion.

Dolphins in an upset.
I could see it. The Chiefs are horrible.
We're signing guys off the street to join the Edge unit, this game won't be close and the Chiefs will be resting starters by the 3rd/4th Q
KC hasn't played a good football game in almost 2 months. They lost at home to Aidan O'Connell, I think Tua and co. can do a lot of damage regardless of weather, both running and passing, especially with Waddle and Mostert likely back.

If this game were in Miami, I think the Dolphins would be favored. But honestly, I'm not sure the 10 degrees and snow, helps KC at all. Miami is the one with the much better running game, Miami is the one with the WRs who are dangerous in the open field.

I'm anticipating a lot of short passes by both teams, but I think that also favors Miami. Honestly, I think the only thing that KC has going for them, is the idea that they've been there before and Mahomes/Reid have a history of pulling big games out. But truth be told, Miami has been the better team all season, and even with the EDGE defender injuries, I'd be shocked if KC came anywhere near a blowout. They might eke it out, but Miami winning wouldn't be an upset in the slightest in my opinion.
I hear you, and this is my hope, but KC's defense can play, and O'Connell didn't have to do anything for 3 quarters in that game bc the LV D played balls out. If (BIG IF) Miami can generate any kind of a "surprise" pass rush then the Dolphins have a chance. IF they are cooked bc they have you, me, MOP and Melvin Ingram rushing from the edges then Mahomes can sit there all day and hope his WRs hands have the ball sitck to them "metal pole on tongue" style in this weather.

have the ball sitck to them "metal pole on tongue" style in this weather.
This is the only way. If they can't catch when it's 75 degrees outside they sure won't be able to do it when their fingers are as stiff as a metal..........pole...................?

You might be onto something here. :headbang:

>>The #Dolphins most significant injuries will really be felt in this particular matchup- No Williams inside vs Jones. Jones had a poor game in Wk 9 with Williams in- No Phillips, Chubb & Van Ginkel on the edge vs vulnerable tackles. KC’s OL strength is the interior<<

Connor Williams was having an all-pro year. Chubb and Ginkel too. Pff grades of 86.5, 88.8, and 91.1.

both t4eams have warts, KCs are bigger. can't stop the run, can't win with Nagy calling plays, lack of WRs, aging old decrepit Kelce, suddenly inaccurate Mahomes, not RB worth mentioning, and one guy on defense that disappears in big spots.
MIami o-line is killing it lately. Miami fastest team in NFL -by far. perhaps the fastest in nfl history. how you gonna catch achane, mostert, hill, etc?
last I heard a playoff game was too cold for the visitors it was NYG at GB, -17, the great favre at the helm , in GB, no one in HELL gave NYG a chance. they beat the packers in OT. stifled the home team, hushed the home crowd.
I do not think the silly tomahawk chant the KC faithful do will be seen at all on saturday night. Fins get out to a big, early lead with some blitzkrieg type offensive plays and KC forever plays catch up, passing to a RB who can't - Pacheco, a TE who wont - kelce, and a defense that is all about smoke n mirrors. this is the end of the line for this roster, for this team, any notion of a dynasty goes out the window when the warm weather team from florida who can't possibly play in the cold goes out and beats the living crap out of this worn out franchise.
never under estimate what Nagy can do to your team. bienemy is gone, he was the anti-Reid big game choking coach - he saved Reid's butt plenty of times. guess who returns saturday night?? that's right, the Ghost of Reid Past, the Grinch, the uber conservative self harming coach, the one with no sense of play clock, game clock, game time, situational awareness.
Miami's gonna put a pound of whoop *** on this KC dinosaur, hope you people can wrap your heads around it.
Miami spanks Reid 42-12.

Just thinking out loud, but its kind of stupid with the weather conditions that are being reported as likely to happen (wind chills of -30) that this game isn't moved. I don't mean like, to Miami or anything, but maybe to Noon, where the sun is out at least. Forget the on-field product, this sounds like a dangerous situation for fans.

You can get a ticket to this game for $55.

$219 for lower level 50 yard line. :lol:

There will be no home field advantage other than the cold. This stadium will be 30% empty Saturday night.

Coldest games in NFL history:
  1. Cowboys vs. Packers 1967, -13 degrees (wind chill -48)
    NFL Championship (SB II), the famed Ice Bowl. Temperature reached -18 in the 4th Q when Bart Starr scored on a QB sneak in the waning seconds.

2. Chargers vs. Bengals 1982, -9 degrees (wind chill -59)
    AFC Championship, Fouts had 4 turnovers, Bengals won 27-7.

3. Seahawks vs. Vikings 2016, -6 degrees (wind chill -25)
    NFC Wild Card, last Vikings outdoor game. Blair Walsh hooked a 27 yard FGA with 22 seconds left.

4. Giants vs. Packers 2008, -4 degrees (wind chill -24)
    NFC Championship, Giants 3rd straight road playoff win, Lawrence Tynes made a 47 yarder in OT after missing two in regulation.

5. Raiders vs. Browns 1981, -4 degrees (wind chill -36)
    AFC Divisional Round, Red Right 88, Oakland wins 14-12.

6. Packers vs. Vikings 1972, -2 degrees (wind chill -19)
    Week 13 (SEE #7), Packers only attempted 14 passes while winning 23-7.

7. Bears vs. Vikings 1972, -2 degrees (wind chill -15)
    Week 12 (SEE #6), Tarkenton somehow threw for 261 in a 23-10 win.

8. Raiders vs. Bills 1994, 0 degrees (wind chill -32)
    AFC Divisional Round (same year as #9), Bills won 29-23 en route to their 4th straight Super Bowl loss.

9. Raiders vs. Packers 1993, 0 degrees (wind chill -20)
    Week 17, Los Angeles gave up 8 sacks to Reggie White & Co, Pack won 28-0.

Tyreek says he won't be wearing sleeves. Doesn't want to appear to be soft! He's played in the KC cold before, but this is different.

The current temperature in Miami is 76 degrees with a humidity of 96%. My glasses fogged up when I went outside. How long does it take for a human to adapt to artic weather when coming from the tropics? Do gloves, sleeves, sideline heaters, or hot chocolate help?

The current temperature in Miami is 76 degrees with a humidity of 96%. My glasses fogged up when I went outside. How long does it take for a human to adapt to artic weather when coming from the tropics? Do gloves, sleeves, sideline heaters, or hot chocolate help?
It takes at least a few days. When the temps here go from the 60's to the 30's in 24 hrs it feels like 0 degrees. Big thing for the receivers will be to somehow keep their fingers from being numb.

It takes at least a few days. When the temps here go from the 60's to the 30's in 24 hrs it feels like 0 degrees. Big thing for the receivers will be to somehow keep their fingers from being numb.
Saturday game doesn't help any, they can only leave so early with Friday practices.

Coldest games in NFL history:
  1. Cowboys vs. Packers 1967, -13 degrees (wind chill -48)
    NFL Championship (SB II), the famed Ice Bowl. Temperature reached -18 in the 4th Q when Bart Starr scored on a QB sneak in the waning seconds.

2. Chargers vs. Bengals 1982, -9 degrees (wind chill -59)
    AFC Championship, Fouts had 4 turnovers, Bengals won 27-7.

3. Seahawks vs. Vikings 2016, -6 degrees (wind chill -25)
    NFC Wild Card, last Vikings outdoor game. Blair Walsh hooked a 27 yard FGA with 22 seconds left.

4. Giants vs. Packers 2008, -4 degrees (wind chill -24)
    NFC Championship, Giants 3rd straight road playoff win, Lawrence Tynes made a 47 yarder in OT after missing two in regulation.

5. Raiders vs. Browns 1981, -4 degrees (wind chill -36)
    AFC Divisional Round, Red Right 88, Oakland wins 14-12.

6. Packers vs. Vikings 1972, -2 degrees (wind chill -19)
    Week 13 (SEE #7), Packers only attempted 14 passes while winning 23-7.

7. Bears vs. Vikings 1972, -2 degrees (wind chill -15)
    Week 12 (SEE #6), Tarkenton somehow threw for 261 in a 23-10 win.

8. Raiders vs. Bills 1994, 0 degrees (wind chill -32)
    AFC Divisional Round (same year as #9), Bills won 29-23 en route to their 4th straight Super Bowl loss.

9. Raiders vs. Packers 1993, 0 degrees (wind chill -20)
    Week 17, Los Angeles gave up 8 sacks to Reggie White & Co, Pack won 28-0.
I know Cris Collinsworth has talked many times about that Bengals/Chargers game basically being the worst football experience of his career. Also said the players who are affected the most by that weather are the Punters. The ball feels like kicking a boulder. Its not quite as bad for Kickers, as the ball isn't dropping onto their feet, but still rough. So I wouldn't be shocked by a lot more 4th down aggressiveness than normal.

Not so fun story about the Ice Bowl game. One of the officials had to go to get stitches at halftime, because part of his lip got ripped off, because it stuck to the metal whistle. For the rest of the game, he just yelled and gestured instead of blowing his whistle.

Last thing KC needs is their WRs having worse hands. MVS should probably fake an injury now.

The NFL needs to move this game to the daylight hours. Will still be cold but at least a little better.

The players are at risk, but more so the fans who will have to be outside for hours.

I still remember when years ago a reporter asked Clay Matthews if GB had the advantage in a playoff game because they are used to playing in sub-zero weather. Matthews replied "Brother..you never get used to playing in this weather"

The NFL needs to move this game to the daylight hours. Will still be cold but at least a little better.

The players are at risk, but more so the fans who will have to be outside for hours.

I still remember when years ago a reporter asked Clay Matthews if GB had the advantage in a playoff game because they are used to playing in sub-zero weather. Matthews replied "Brother..you never get used to playing in this weather"
Worst thing for the fans will be their feet. Need to keep them off the concrete.

Worst thing for the fans will be their feet. Need to keep them off the concrete.
I've attended college games in conditions like this, and the thing people don't understand is how cold it gets when you're just sitting/standing there and can't really move around. There's no substitute for insulated boots plus layers (thin socks under wool socks, for example) when it gets really cold.

I've attended college games in conditions like this, and the thing people don't understand is how cold it gets when you're just sitting/standing there and can't really move around. There's no substitute for insulated boots plus layers (thin socks under wool socks, for example) when it gets really cold.

I would be at Cabelas getting the battery operated heating socks, gloves and vest. Once your hands and feet get cold there is no return.

According to Gabe Schwartz of KCTV5, resale ticket prices for the Chiefs-Dolphins game have dipped to as low as $65 with many available for well under $100. That’s in stark contrast with the other five Super Wild Card Weekend contests.

Last edited:
First off I want to know how someone would know that a witch's you know what is very cold.
Went to a Halloween party with a witch once. It was actually quite warm and delightful.

But she was just a pretend witch so yeah, I get your point.

both t4eams have warts, KCs are bigger. can't stop the run, can't win with Nagy calling plays, lack of WRs, aging old decrepit Kelce, suddenly inaccurate Mahomes, not RB worth mentioning, and one guy on defense that disappears in big spots.
MIami o-line is killing it lately. Miami fastest team in NFL -by far. perhaps the fastest in nfl history. how you gonna catch achane, mostert, hill, etc?
last I heard a playoff game was too cold for the visitors it was NYG at GB, -17, the great favre at the helm , in GB, no one in HELL gave NYG a chance. they beat the packers in OT. stifled the home team, hushed the home crowd.
I do not think the silly tomahawk chant the KC faithful do will be seen at all on saturday night. Fins get out to a big, early lead with some blitzkrieg type offensive plays and KC forever plays catch up, passing to a RB who can't - Pacheco, a TE who wont - kelce, and a defense that is all about smoke n mirrors. this is the end of the line for this roster, for this team, any notion of a dynasty goes out the window when the warm weather team from florida who can't possibly play in the cold goes out and beats the living crap out of this worn out franchise.
never under estimate what Nagy can do to your team. bienemy is gone, he was the anti-Reid big game choking coach - he saved Reid's butt plenty of times. guess who returns saturday night?? that's right, the Ghost of Reid Past, the Grinch, the uber conservative self harming coach, the one with no sense of play clock, game clock, game time, situational awareness.
Miami's gonna put a pound of whoop *** on this KC dinosaur, hope you people can wrap your heads around it.
Miami spanks Reid 42-12.

So a cold weather team (NYG) went to a cold weather stadium (GB) and won? Yeah that sure is comparable to Miami playing in -30 degree windchill. [sarcasm]

Not that I think KC is going to light it up. I just feel having any sort of confidence in who is going to win either way is nonsense in a game with such chaotic conditions.

How have the Dolphins performed in cold temperatures?
+ Under 50 degrees: 15-42 SU (26%) last 20 years (2-19 SU last 21 games)
+ Under 40 degrees: 8-19 SU (30%) last 20 years (lost 9 straight)

Tua Tagovailoa's coldest starts in NFL or college:
29 degrees: Dec. 17, 2022 at Bills (L, 32-29)
36 degrees: Jan. 3, 2021 at Bills (L, 56-26)
37 degrees: Jan. 2, 2022 at Titans (L, 34-3)

Not to mention…
+ Tagovailoa is now 2-9 straight up and 3-7-1 against the spread, road/neutral vs. "winning" teams — he is failing to cover the spread by 11.8 PPG.
+ Dolphins are 2-12 SU in their last 14 games as a road dog dating back to last season and he has lost eight of his past 10 starts as a road underdog.

Users who are viewing this thread