What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DONE DEAL: Randy Moss to Vikings trade (2 Viewers)

identikit

Footballguy
Unintended tweet sparks rumors of Moss-to-Minny move

Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2010 7:31 PM ET

Bill Simmons of ESPN is reporting, sort of, the existence of rumors regarding a trade that would send receiver Randy Moss from the Patriots back to the Vikings.

Wow.

Making the situation even more intriguing is the fact that Simmons inadvertently put the information on his Twitter page at a time that he was intending to send out the information as a direct message only.

Let the chase begin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-to-minny-move/

----

The actual tweet from Bill Simmons (who writes the Sports Guy column and hosts the BS Report podcast for ESPN.com):

Sorry that last tweet was supposed to be a DM. Rumors swirling about a Pats-Minny trade for Randy Moss.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Vikings put a lot into Farve this year and without Rice/VJ the Vikings need something to jump start the passing game.

I'm in dire need for a QB in my dynasty league and the Farve owner offered him to me straight up for Lance Moore last night, I would if I should accept before this gets out?? Decisions Decisions

Sounds a lot like the Patriots style: get something of value before the player loses all value.

Doubtful that Moss would be back for the Pats anyways.

The full Glazer tweet says:

Yes, vikes and pats have been working on trade that sends randy moss to vikes and r very clode but can't be done until vikes and moss work out new contract, whcih they r working on.

I could see it happening.

Most teams would be too scared to trade a name as big as Moss but The Pats don't operate that way. There is a youth movement going on in New England and if they can get something of real value back for him they'll do it.

How much of a bumpskie would that be for Mr Favre?? Move him back inside the top 10?

What does it mean for Moss's immediate value if he's playing with the Vikings? My guess is unlike Patriots, they will be feeding him plenty.

How quickly could Moss jump in and be productive, and does this move make Moss happy?

This would likely open up a spot for Julian Edelman, who they're extremely high on, as well. I believe Edelman is a sure-fire future FF stud (especially in PPR leagues).

What he's accomplished so far in his pro career at WR after playing QB in college is remarkable. In fact, truth be known, he could do what Welker is doing right now, possibly better, IMO. And if not now, in the near future. That's how good this kid can be as a slot guy.

What does it mean for Moss's immediate value if he's playing with the Vikings? My guess is unlike Patriots, they will be feeding him plenty.How quickly could Moss jump in and be productive, and does this move make Moss happy?
It would help Moss's value but as a Harvin owner I think this would be a positive development. Moss could draw all the coverage and open things up for Harvin.

This would likely open up a spot for Julian Edelman, who they're extremely high on, as well. I believe Edelman is a sure-fire future FF stud (especially in PPR leagues).What he's accomplished so far in his pro career at WR after playing QB in college is remarkable. In fact, truth be known, he could do what Welker is doing right now, possibly better, IMO. And if not now, in the near future. That's how good this kid can be as a slot guy.
Welker and Edelman play the slot and neither one really translates to playing on the outside or is a deep threat. Edelamn would probably see some more time on the field, but I don't think that makes him a starter as long as Welker is healthy and around.

per Tom Curran, who covers the NFL for Comcast:

Heard murmurs about the rumored possible trade of Moss to Vikings for a 3rd rder. While trying to ck, Jay Glazer advance

What does it mean for Moss's immediate value if he's playing with the Vikings? My guess is unlike Patriots, they will be feeding him plenty.How quickly could Moss jump in and be productive, and does this move make Moss happy?
A return to Mini to play with a gun slinging QB who has been looking for a big WR should make Moss happy. :yes:

Wow, that's surprising to say the least. I still doubt this will happen but if these talks have happened, they must love Tate and feel good about Taylor Price. They've already hit paydirt with Gronk and Hernandez...

This would likely open up a spot for Julian Edelman, who they're extremely high on, as well. I believe Edelman is a sure-fire future FF stud (especially in PPR leagues).What he's accomplished so far in his pro career at WR after playing QB in college is remarkable. In fact, truth be known, he could do what Welker is doing right now, possibly better, IMO. And if not now, in the near future. That's how good this kid can be as a slot guy.
Edelman is a slot receiver, not a flanker. This doesn't do a whole lot for Edelman's value. Moves him from 5th to 4th. Without a Welker injury, Edelman remains WW fodder.

This could also explain why Moss went without a catch last night for the first time since 06. Don't want to get him hurt before the deal?

The Brandon Tate train is about to leave the station if true.
He's sitting on a lot of waiver wires right now. So this may be the big story within the story. Is Brandon Tate the most likely to step into the starting roll, and is so, what kind of target action can we expect? The dude can run, we know that.

A return to Mini to play with a gun slinging QB who has been looking for a big WR should make Moss happy. :yes:
For this year maybe. Although Favre hasnt looked too sharp. Minnesota should be wary of giving multi-year contract as how will he play when chasing down wounded ducks from Tavaras Jackson. VJax a much better fit IMO. Minnesota is still looking to be a run first team and I dont feel Moss would equal last years numbers if playing for the Vikes.

Welker and Edelman play the slot and neither one really translates to playing on the outside or is a deep threat. Edelamn would probably see some more time on the field, but I don't think that makes him a starter as long as Welker is healthy and around.
Any thoughts on Tate's value if this trade happens?

This could also explain why Moss went without a catch last night for the first time since 06. Don't want to get him hurt before the deal?
I'd be more willing to wager that he pitched a fit and it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Source: Vikings, Moss haven't started talking terms yet

Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2010 8:12 PM ET

Bill Simmons of ESPN perked up a slow Tuesday night by accidentally tweeting the existence of a rumor that the Patriots could be trading receiver Randy Moss to the Vikings. Jay Glazer of FOX has since reported that, indeed, the two sides are talking.

But Glazer points out that the deal hinges on the Vikings and Moss working out a new contract.

Per a league source, that part of the process has not yet commenced.

Moss repeatedly has complained about the lack of a contract beyond the 2010 season. He'll want an extension that gives him something close to market value ($9 million or more per year).

The lure of unfinished business with the franchise for which he played from 1998 through 2004 and the ability to finally hook up with Brett Favre could be a strong draw. The prospect of facing cornerback Darrelle Revis on Monday night could be a factor, too.

Heck, the return of Moss could even be enough to get Favre to return again for 2011.

Edelman is a slot receiver, not a flanker. This doesn't do a whole lot for Edelman's value. Moves him from 5th to 4th. Without a Welker injury, Edelman remains WW fodder.
:yes: Edelman is the one white guy wide receiver comparison to Welker that actually makes sense, but that being said Welker does everything Edelman does only better. Edelman seems like Welker, looks like Welker on the field, does the same sort of things as Welker, but seems to have hands like a DB.

Sounds a lot like the Patriots style: get something of value before the player loses all value.Doubtful that Moss would be back for the Pats anyways.
Do the Pats not consider themselves contenders? It's not like they need the picks. They're absolutely loaded next draft. I don't get it.

Any thoughts on Tate's value if this trade happens?
It won't go down any.I wonder if this is only one piece of the puzzle and that the Pats might be talking to SD about getting Vincent Jackson (and that is TOTALLY speculation on my part).

Welker, Tate, and Hernandez become must starts if this trade happens. Edelman will see action too.

Users who are viewing this thread