What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DONE DEAL: Randy Moss to Vikings trade (2 Viewers)

Thanks David, that is an interesting read. It put some metrics to what I thought I was seeing so far this year, particularly in that Jets game.The question now is: was Moss slacking off (or lacking in concentration) a bit, whether intentionally or subconsciously? He said in the presser today that he was not hurt - that it's a business - but I think maybe his actions on the field, in that airplane and behind closed doors (allegedly on those last two) tell a different story. Perhaps the trade rumors/lack of an extension were affecting his play. Of those four drops the article mentions, two were in the end zone. Very un-Moss-like.

Perhaps he is just not a premier WR any longer.
Moss was unhappy even in training camp. He busted his hump in camp and thought that would get him a new deal. By the time the season started and no deal was on the horizon, he asked for a trade and from the sounds of it the Pats have been trying to deal him since his blow up after the Bengals game. Who knows how much that impacted his on-field performance, whether Brady looked at him less, and whether Moss' effort remained high.
It's hard to say with a professional athlete and the requisite ego, but the rating from last season is at least a clue as to the direction of his play. I'm seriously considering sending him packing myself while his value is still high from the perceived up-tick his numbers should see in Minny. Between Farve's elbow, the mediocre line and Moss' play to date it looks like it could continue to be a bad scene.

Thanks David, that is an interesting read. It put some metrics to what I thought I was seeing so far this year, particularly in that Jets game.The question now is: was Moss slacking off (or lacking in concentration) a bit, whether intentionally or subconsciously? He said in the presser today that he was not hurt - that it's a business - but I think maybe his actions on the field, in that airplane and behind closed doors (allegedly on those last two) tell a different story. Perhaps the trade rumors/lack of an extension were affecting his play. Of those four drops the article mentions, two were in the end zone. Very un-Moss-like.

Moss was unhappy even in training camp. He busted his hump in camp and thought that would get him a new deal. By the time the season started and no deal was on the horizon, he asked for a trade and from the sounds of it the Pats have been trying to deal him since his blow up after the Bengals game. Who knows how much that impacted his on-field performance, whether Brady looked at him less, and whether Moss' effort remained high.
It's hard to say with a professional athlete and the requisite ego, but the rating from last season is at least a clue as to the direction of his play. I'm seriously considering sending him packing myself while his value is still high from the perceived up-tick his numbers should see in Minny. Between Farve's elbow, the mediocre line and Moss' play to date it looks like it could continue to be a bad scene.
I highly recommend selling now.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but why not share why you hold a position either way? Personally I haven't liked much about the Vikings FF prospects since preseason, but I am willing to listen how Moss might help turn things around up there...

Last edited by a moderator:
a final word from randy:

On why things didn’t work out with Bill Belichick and the Patriots:

What me and coach Belichick talked about, I don’t really want to make public. The respect that I have for him as a coach and as a man speaks high volumes, because Bill is the one that brought me to New England from Oakland. I commended him and thanked him for that because me being in New England, that was something special. I have never been a part of a team. That’s all I ever wanted to do was be a part of a team. They’re a team.

“Now that I’m gone I’m not going to say anything negative and I’m not going to bash the organization because they gave me the opportunity to play when nobody else thought I could play at a high level. Whatever me and coach talked about, I want to keep that between the two of us. I wish him the best.

“We go [to New England] in a few weeks. One thing [belichick] did share with me was he wished me the best except for that game right there. I look forward to facing those guys on the 31st of October.

“I still got love for [the Patriots], I really do man. It’s something that I’ll never forget. We did some magical things up there but the show must go on. It is a business and I think that’s what a lot of people have to understand, the business side of football.”

we'll miss you in new england, randy.

I hope he finds a way to return at the end of his career and retire a patriot, although I think he's missed being in minny all along.

Forgot to mention that MIN has added a clause to Moss' contract that they CANNOT franchise him. He may end up being a 12 game rental.
I wonder if the Vikings actually wanted it that way. Media seemed convinced that a trade would be dependant on new contract etc. Rumor has it that the Vikes wanted to rent Vincient Jackson for the year but San Diego was asking for to much compensation. Seems like an all or nothing move by the Vikings. If there is a last minute agreement on a new league salary cap, wouldn't it make sense for the Vikings not to have Favre and Moss inflated salaries on the books for next year. They might need the cap room to get their young stars like Peterson, Rice and, maybe, Edwards under contract.

Forgot to mention that MIN has added a clause to Moss' contract that they CANNOT franchise him. He may end up being a 12 game rental.
I wonder if the Vikings actually wanted it that way. Media seemed convinced that a trade would be dependant on new contract etc. Rumor has it that the Vikes wanted to rent Vincient Jackson for the year but San Diego was asking for to much compensation. Seems like an all or nothing move by the Vikings. If there is a last minute agreement on a new league salary cap, wouldn't it make sense for the Vikings not to have Favre and Moss inflated salaries on the books for next year. They might need the cap room to get their young stars like Peterson, Rice and, maybe, Edwards under contract.
Good observation here. Favre shouldn't be back next year ( I'm hesitant to say he won't, given his retiring history ) T Jackson doesn't appear to be a Super Bowl caliber QB, so without knowing the parameters of the CBA going forward, why not rent Randy for this year and take one last Favre led run at a title.And keep the books clean of overpriced contracts for the future.

That was a really disappointing article. I was hoping for detailed analysis of the offense...instead i just got stats they made up or arbitrarily decided were important because they made moss look bad.
Agreed, I read this...
The only players in the NFL to have more interceptions recorded when they were the primary target were Calvin Johnson (12), Carolina’s Steve Smith (11), Antonio Bryant (10), Reggie Wayne (10), and Terrell Owens (eight). Four of those five players were playing with quarterbacks (or multiple quarterbacks) who threw for 19 or more interceptions on the season. Tom Brady threw 13 interceptions last season, which means more than half of them were intended for Moss.
.. and thought - are you trying to say Brady couldn't simply have lost accuracy on his long ball?TO and Wayne are on that list too... Guess what, long ball WRs frequently see more passes directed toward them intercepted. This does not mean at all that the WR is no longer as good as ge used to be. Moss may be slipping, he has a history of back injuries. But it's more than likely a combination of multiple things, and not really Moss tailing off.

That was a really disappointing article. I was hoping for detailed analysis of the offense...instead i just got stats they made up or arbitrarily decided were important because they made moss look bad.
Agreed, I read this...
The only players in the NFL to have more interceptions recorded when they were the primary target were Calvin Johnson (12), Carolina’s Steve Smith (11), Antonio Bryant (10), Reggie Wayne (10), and Terrell Owens (eight). Four of those five players were playing with quarterbacks (or multiple quarterbacks) who threw for 19 or more interceptions on the season. Tom Brady threw 13 interceptions last season, which means more than half of them were intended for Moss.
.. and thought - are you trying to say Brady couldn't simply have lost accuracy on his long ball?TO and Wayne are on that list too... Guess what, long ball WRs frequently see more passes directed toward them intercepted.
Agreed. I'm not sure that stat has any validity. What do Moss, Calvin, Wayne and Owens have in common? All of them last season were among the most talented WRs in the league. Bryant, meanwhile, was the best WR on his team. Chances are talented WRs are going to see more passes thrown their way. The more targets they receive, the higher the potential for an interception. And without breaking down every interception and seeing if it was a bad throw or a poor route there's no way to know who is even responsible for the INT. To pick a number without legitimate evidence to support it and claim it's an indication Moss is in decline strikes me as arbitrary at best and biased at worst.

To think I was happy when he went to Minnesota. He's absolutely useless right now.

I'd trade him for J.J. Birden if I could.

a little effort on the free play would have been nice. gift-wrapped td's don't often fall from the sky like that.

Hope some of you listened and got out while you could.

Current situation has Childress figerprints all over it.

1. Acquire unappreciated WR when WR is a position of need [check]

2. Use him primarily as a decoy for 2 weeks [check]

3. Ignore him completely, and don't have him on the field to draw defenders on a critical 4th and 1, against the one team in the league he wants to show made a mistake letting him go. [check]

Whatever the fallout here is, it is 100% self-induced by Viking coaching. You don't need a masters degree in psychology to predict what happens next. Shame on the Vikes coaching for not figuring out a way to involve Moss early and often yesterday.

Current situation has Childress figerprints all over it. 1. Acquire unappreciated WR when WR is a position of need [check]2. Use him primarily as a decoy for 2 weeks [check]3. Ignore him completely, and don't have him on the field to draw defenders on a critical 4th and 1, against the one team in the league he wants to show made a mistake letting him go. [check]Whatever the fallout here is, it is 100% self-induced by Viking coaching. You don't need a masters degree in psychology to predict what happens next. Shame on the Vikes coaching for not figuring out a way to involve Moss early and often yesterday.
4. Release him.

Harvin owners got a double-whack in the last 24 hours.

-Moss owners were already hurting.

-All of a sudden, Berrian is decent again?

-Mike Williams might be marginalized if he goes to SEA.

-Tate could be relegated to less duty than before Moss left if he goes back (Laconfora is saying this is a possibility)

-It might be nice to see him in a Chargers or Colts uni (two teams with WR injuries), but both seem *highly* doubtful due to cheapness and class, respectively

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing can make Berrian decent. I think the Vikes essentially put the passing game on ice and do their best to win with ADP. Harvin should retain some value as long as they keep him in the slot.

Users who are viewing this thread