What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DONE DEAL: Randy Moss to Vikings trade (1 Viewer)

Upgrade for all Vikings skill players if this happens. Moss is a perfect fit for Favre and opens up everything for the rest of offense. With the way the D is playing this could be the year the Vikes get to the SB and actually win it.
I see the big upgrade in NFL terms (assumming the Pats aren't on to something about Moss' ability decline that we arent'), but I don't se the plus so much in fantasy terms - except maybe for Favre. Granted Moss will require the best defender giving the other WRs lesser coverage, but he will eat up a LOT of balls as well. There will be more offenseive plays, and more pass plays, but not as many more as the number of passes that will go to Moss - which means less targets to go around for the other Viking receivers. And similarly, there will be more TDs scored, but Randy will score more than the total amount those wil increase, meaning less to go around to the other Viking players than if Moss hadn't srrived. I don't see the fantasy lovefest for other non-Favre Vikings.
Peterson will benefit from a deep threat and legitimate target in the passing game. I'm not sure there are any other relevant non-Favre players. You could say it hurts Shiancoe because he won't be the only receiving option in the red zone...but with all the attention on Moss, it might work out just fine.
I think all you need to do is look at the Vikings last year with Rice. Rice isn't Moss, but he's the same type of WR. He's big and he goes up and fights for the ball. With Rice there last year, Shiancoe managed 11 TD's. Harvin should have similar stats as last year. Berrian IMO is fairly worthless, but someone has to cover him and he had 92 targets last year. Peterson has been having a great year and having Moss should open things up more for him, but he could also lose some carries. Favre needs someone he can trust to throw to even when they are in double coverage. The rest of the WR's and Shiancoe will be getting open more often with Moss and Favre will feel more confident throwing to him. It's not like Favre is only going to throw to Moss.Last year targets with Rice:

Rice 122

Harvin 91

Shiancoe 79

Berrian 92

Am I the only one who thinks this could hurt Moss? What happens when Favre sucks/continues to suck this year? What happens if the ankle snaps, or another injury, and Tarvaris is QB? Moss could take a hit like Fitz...except his attitude might destroy him instead oh just going from a WR1 to a WR2...
Moss makes QBs, not the other way around.
Something people said about Fitzgerald too...?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5655198

Receiver Randy Moss and New England Patriots quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien were involved in a heated exchange at halftime of the team's victory Monday over the Miami Dolphins, according to player sources.

The locker-room exchange, described as an "outburst" by one player, came two days before the Patriots traded Moss to the Minnesota Vikings for a 2011 third-round draft choice, and could have contributed to the team's decision to make the deal.
Not surprised. Moss is known for pouting when his team doesn't get him involved in the game early. To that end, I don't understand why he is sometimes ignored for entire halves, like the other night. No, a team's job is not to keep Randy Moss and no one else happy, but keeping your best player, who is a diva, happy and involved gives you a better chance at winning, so I always find it baffling when Moss is ignored for long stretches in games. I don't know the exact numbers, but you almost never see Moss do nothing in the first half and then explode for a big second half. His big games are usually ones where he was involved a lot from the start.
How did you come to the conclusion that this "heated exchange" was Moss' fault? That's a little presumptuous. And in case you didn't watch the second half of the game Monday night, Moss wasn't being "ignored", the defense and Special Teams dictated the play calling.

Am I the only one who thinks this could hurt Moss? What happens when Favre sucks/continues to suck this year? What happens if the ankle snaps, or another injury, and Tarvaris is QB? Moss could take a hit like Fitz...except his attitude might destroy him instead oh just going from a WR1 to a WR2...
There is a difference between making your QB look better than he actually is and performing miracles.

There is a difference between making your QB look better than he actually is and performing miracles.
you wonder why that miracle hasn't resulted in a super bowl yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5655198

Receiver Randy Moss and New England Patriots quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien were involved in a heated exchange at halftime of the team's victory Monday over the Miami Dolphins, according to player sources.

The locker-room exchange, described as an "outburst" by one player, came two days before the Patriots traded Moss to the Minnesota Vikings for a 2011 third-round draft choice, and could have contributed to the team's decision to make the deal.
Not surprised. Moss is known for pouting when his team doesn't get him involved in the game early. To that end, I don't understand why he is sometimes ignored for entire halves, like the other night. No, a team's job is not to keep Randy Moss and no one else happy, but keeping your best player, who is a diva, happy and involved gives you a better chance at winning, so I always find it baffling when Moss is ignored for long stretches in games. I don't know the exact numbers, but you almost never see Moss do nothing in the first half and then explode for a big second half. His big games are usually ones where he was involved a lot from the start.
How did you come to the conclusion that this "heated exchange" was Moss' fault? That's a little presumptuous. And in case you didn't watch the second half of the game Monday night, Moss wasn't being "ignored", the defense and Special Teams dictated the play calling.
I hate this kind of journalism. First, why quote a man who isn't man enough to put his name behind his words? I tell you what, Moss would never do that. He tells a man to his face what he thinks. I would much rather go to battle with a man like Moss than the rumor mongering coward this whole "story" is based on.

I'll spot you Culpepper, but who else has he "made"? Brad Johnson, Cunningham, George and Brady all have are accomplished QB's in their own right in the absence of Moss. If Moss is the maker he sure failed in Oakland.

Not me.

I'll spot you Culpepper, but who else has he "made"? Brad Johnson, Cunningham, George and Brady all have are accomplished QB's in their own right in the absence of Moss. If Moss is the maker he sure failed in Oakland.
When Moss bothered to play in OAK he made his QB look much much better.Kerry Collins had his second best TD season and 3rd best yardage season with Moss, and Moss was playing with an injury for most of the season.

Not me.
Not me either. Moss is the only WR I can recall any sizable amount of people saying he made his QBs good.

:eek: :lmao: :lmao:

When Moss bothered to play in OAK he made his QB look much much better.Kerry Collins had his second best TD season and 3rd best yardage season with Moss, and Moss was playing with an injury for most of the season.
Actually it was his 3rd best TD season, and while he threw 20 TD's that year he also threw 19 TD's in two other seasons. It was in fact his second highest yardage season, but it was also his second highest attempt season too. Oh, and Moss only had 8 of Collins' 20 TD's, and Collins had already led a team to the Super Bowl. I fail to see how Moss "made" Collins based upon this one year they played together in 2005. :eek:

With the Pats on a bye this week they could benefit from one of Vincent Jackson's games that he was suspended for. Pretty sure AJ Smith would sell him off for that 3rd Rounder NE just received. A post bye week deal going down perhaps?

I think it is hilarious that the Vikings get the Patriots' 2012 7th round draft pick!

Bellicheat: We'll give you Moss for a 3rd round pick.

Chilly/Spielman/Wilf/Favre: No, can't do it!

Bellicheat: How about I throw in a 7th rounder two years from now?

Chilly/Spielman/Wilf/Favre: DEAL!!

I think it is hilarious that the Vikings get the Patriots' 2012 7th round draft pick!Bellicheat: We'll give you Moss for a 3rd round pick.Chilly/Spielman/Wilf/Favre: No, can't do it!Bellicheat: How about I throw in a 7th rounder two years from now?Chilly/Spielman/Wilf/Favre: DEAL!!
I know...I laughed when I saw that too.Good deal for the Vikings, IMHO. The absolute worst they do is a 5th in 2011 and a 7th in 2012 for a 3rd in 2011 for the 13+ game "rental." And that's if Moss is gone after this season. That third would be nice, but stepping down to a 5th and a 7th for the sheer entertainment value (and media/advertising buzz that the move will make) seems more than worth it to me.

I think it is hilarious that the Vikings get the Patriots' 2012 7th round draft pick!Bellicheat: We'll give you Moss for a 3rd round pick.Chilly/Spielman/Wilf/Favre: No, can't do it!Bellicheat: How about I throw in a 7th rounder two years from now?Chilly/Spielman/Wilf/Favre: DEAL!!
:bag: I can picture Favre in his Kramer voice :giddyup:

comfortably numb said:
FunkyPlutos said:
:bag: I can picture Favre in his Kramer voice :giddyup:
:bag: :lmao:

Idk how much interest the Pats have in pursuing some stud wrs but if they can get ahold of one and somehow keep there 8 picks in the first four rounds pretty confident brady gets two more rings without moss.

Nightly Mistake said:
switz said:
Instinctive said:
Oakland was an unusual situation--it would have taken God to make anyone good there. And God is still sitting on the sidelines and not giving the Raider's a whole lot of blessings...I definitely think Moss helped to make Johnson, Cunningham (at the end of his career), George (definitely), Culpepper (definitely), and I think he has helped Brady.

Billick: Favre-Moss is perfect combo

Minneapolis Star & Tribune

Brian Billick served as Randy Moss' first offensive coordinator in the NFL with the Vikings and with the wide receiver now headed back to Minnesota the current Fox analyst sees big production for the Moss-Brett Favre duo.

“It’s the perfect combination because you need to have a Tom Brady, Brett Favre stature at quarterback to deal with Randy," Billick said Wednesday morning. "You just can’t put anybody there. Tom Brady was able to do it, that was a big component. Brett will be able to do that. What Randy will dictate coverage-wise will be huge for the Vikings with their ability to run the ball.

"The conundrum it’s going to place on defensive coordinators that say, ‘OK, I’ve got to roll coverage to Randy Moss but in doing so I’m limiting the box to stop Adrian Peterson. And by the way, Visanthe Shiancoe and if Sidney Rice comes back and …’ You spread them in three wides. When you’re able to spread a team in three wides with a Moss, Shiancoe, Harvin, Rice and now in a single back and by the way I’m going to handoff a trap and a draw to Adrian Peterson. It can be lethal.”

Billick also sees Moss having no trouble playing in the West Coast offense for the first time in his career. “I have a real problem with West Coast anymore," Billick said. "That term is useless, absolutely useless. Because everybody runs elements of it. You can’t look at what anybody who [are] quote-unquote West Coast guys. Yeah, they are using the West Coast verbiage still but even that has been altered. You can’t look at what anybody is doing right now. ... Randy will do fine. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Brett Favre will find Randy Moss.”

As for the verbiage of the West Coats, Billick said: “There will be a little bit of a learning curve but Randy’s a smart guy. It will not take long and it doesn’t take much to communicate, ‘You go deep, I’ll throw it.’”

Good take by Billick. I can see Randy coming up BIG now.

Carolina Hustler said:
Snotbubbles said:
I really think McNabb will be going to Minny in the offseason.
Based on what?
Based on:1. Childress is his former OC and QB coach.2. They run the same offense that he has run for his entire career. So he more familiar with it.3. When McNabb was with Philly and they were discussing trades, guys like Shefter and SalPal were quoting sources close to McNabb as saying that he wanted to go to Minny.4. He hasn't signed an extension with Washington, which is foolish, 1.) given the labor situation for next season (he probably would want a contract in place) and 2.)given his injury history. It's not like Washington doesn't want to extend him. 5. It's not unreasonable to believe that the Vikings are closer to a Superbowl then the Redskins. The Redskins are changing their offense and defense which means they have to change a bunch of their personnel to fit the scheme.Based on this, I believe McNabb will go to Minny.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
gradin123 said:
skinsrule05 said:
gtdmb1 said:
so FBG has just moved Moss from WR14 or so yesterday straight up to WR1....really? Do you guys think he is that good? i do think Favre will force the ball to him.
So before the trade Moss was at 14? Pretty impressive considering he was on a bye.
And he's up against Revis this week. LOL. Irrational as hell.Some people live in the past a bit too much. Favre to Moss all day long would have been great 2 years ago. Now Favre looks old and Moss looks slower. This has just as big a chance to completely blow up as it does to succeed.Since Moss was slowly being phased out in NE it certainly helps his value for this year but to expect monster numbers now is offbase IMO.
Is Revis 100%? Can he stop him? He didnt do it last time they met.
I agree. What's worse is that Cromartie stopped him :rolleyes:

harryhood said:
With the Pats on a bye this week they could benefit from one of Vincent Jackson's games that he was suspended for. Pretty sure AJ Smith would sell him off for that 3rd Rounder NE just received. A post bye week deal going down perhaps?
I'd be more shocked at that deal than I was at the moss trade.and I was pretty surprised by the moss trade.

harryhood said:
I'd be more shocked at that deal than I was at the moss trade.and I was pretty surprised by the moss trade.
Schefter has said there's no way VJ goes to the Pats, fwiw.

Schefter has said there's no way VJ goes to the Pats, fwiw.
Very little. He reported on Monday that the Bills were going to hold onto Lynch through the trade deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is that Moss is going to be a giant head case in the upcoming years when they have Tavaris Jackson in at QB after Favre finally retires.

Report: Moss dissed Belichick on plane back from Miami

Posted by Mike Florio on October 7, 2010 9:05 AM ET

We reported on Wednesday that the trade of Randy Moss from New England to Minnesota was fueled by the fact that Moss was becoming a bigger distraction for the team, and specifically for coach Bill Belichick.

Former Patriots receiver Troy Brown has added some substantial meat to that generalized bone, reporting via CSNNE.com that Moss ignored Belichick on the plane back from Miami after Monday night's 41-14 win.

"Apparently, Belichick came to the back of the plane to speak with Randy and Randy just pretty much ignored him and didn't respond to anything he had to say," Brown said.

"I guess there were a few other members of the team -- some front-office people and maybe some players -- that tried to talk to him, just talk to him in general, and he didn't respond to those guys, either," Brown added.

Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com also has reported that Moss and quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien had a heated exchange at halftime of the Monday night game.

It's classic Moss behavior, and he's smart enough to know that, with trade talks percolating, his behavior would be enough to get the deal done.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ack-from-miami/

Here's where I think this has the potential to come back and haunt the Pats. It's a debate based largely if not entirely on numbers, so it inherently has issues.

In the 5 years in the Brady/BB era that NE advanced to the AFCC game (01, 03, 04, 06, 07), the defense allowed on average 16.0 ppg on the season.

In the 4 years in the Brady/BB era that the Pats made it to the AFCC game pre-Moss (01, 03, 04, 06), the team averaged 24.1 ppg scored on the season.

In the 3 years in the Brady/BB/Moss era (07, 09, 10), NE has averaged 31.9 ppg. Even if you toss out the 07 season entirely, NE has averaged 27.9 ppg.

This year, the Pats are allowing an average of 24.0 ppg but have yet to hit a stretch of high flying, high scoring teams (unless people see CIN, NYJ, BUF, and MIA as teams at the top of the scoring food chain).

A case could be made that NE has averaged a TD more per game with Moss in the lineup compared to the teams that advanced for deep runs in the post season before he got there. (I am not sure Moss enabled the team to score another 7 ppg. But that might not be that far off.) Certainly there are a lot of other players on offense now compared to the 01-06 era teams that need to be considered and factored in (which I won't do here).

If Moss really is a key part of the added scoring (which he may be) and the Pats scoring drops of and the defense continues to be porous and gets lit up by the better teams, the Patriots could easily struggle to be a .500 team.

All the talk that they will be better without him seems a bit off base to me. I don't see how NE - Moss = a better team and more wins. Moss had nothing to do with the defense allowing more points. Sure, the Pats might get more creatinve and spread the ball out more, but I doubt that will yield MORE points than if Moss were here (even if his numbers weren't great).

Forgot to mention that MIN has added a clause to Moss' contract that they CANNOT franchise him. He may end up being a 12 game rental.

This is where I'm thinking Moss didn't feel he had the best chance of winning a championship with the Pats and wanted to go elsewhere. The defense is young and he doesn't have a whole lot of quality years left to win one. Maybe I'm mixing up basketball player mentality with football. I know LT is having fun playing in his situation. But then again at 1-2 Vikings aren't off to a great start.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a really disappointing article. I was hoping for detailed analysis of the offense...instead i just got stats they made up or arbitrarily decided were important because they made moss look bad.

It's been mentioned that Randy's never played in a West Coast offense before but isn't that what Dennis Green ran?

Thanks David, that is an interesting read. It put some metrics to what I thought I was seeing so far this year, particularly in that Jets game.The question now is: was Moss slacking off (or lacking in concentration) a bit, whether intentionally or subconsciously? He said in the presser today that he was not hurt - that it's a business - but I think maybe his actions on the field, in that airplane and behind closed doors (allegedly on those last two) tell a different story. Perhaps the trade rumors/lack of an extension were affecting his play. Of those four drops the article mentions, two were in the end zone. Very un-Moss-like.

Perhaps he is just not a premier WR any longer.

Thanks David, that is an interesting read. It put some metrics to what I thought I was seeing so far this year, particularly in that Jets game.The question now is: was Moss slacking off (or lacking in concentration) a bit, whether intentionally or subconsciously? He said in the presser today that he was not hurt - that it's a business - but I think maybe his actions on the field, in that airplane and behind closed doors (allegedly on those last two) tell a different story. Perhaps the trade rumors/lack of an extension were affecting his play. Of those four drops the article mentions, two were in the end zone. Very un-Moss-like.

Perhaps he is just not a premier WR any longer.
Moss was unhappy even in training camp. He busted his hump in camp and thought that would get him a new deal. By the time the season started and no deal was on the horizon, he asked for a trade and from the sounds of it the Pats have been trying to deal him since his blow up after the Bengals game. Who knows how much that impacted his on-field performance, whether Brady looked at him less, and whether Moss' effort remained high.

Users who are viewing this thread