What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Day "regerts" (1 Viewer)

ignatiusjreilly

Footballguy
I totallly stole the idea for this thread from @Hot Sauce Guy, who started a "Redraft Regrets Support Group" last year (and the "regerts" joke from @Leroy Hoard). I think HSG originally started it as a way for people to vent post-draft; basically an entire thread worth of

:ptts:

But as someone who generally drafts on the later side, I found it incredibly useful, both to hear about what others experienced in their live drafts and, once I started drafting, to process what happened in my early drafts in order to better prepare for my later ones.

I don't have my first draft until next Sunday, but I'm curious to hear about what people are seeing so far. What mistakes are you and others making? Have you waited too long and found yourself at the end of a run? Are you rethinking your decision to go zero/hero-RB?

I had the 10th pick and really loved my first 3 picks. (12 team non PPR) I was locked into taking Pitts in the 4th and he went the pick before me. I basically blacked out, because I don’t remember much other than the yahoo timer/buzzer screaming at me that I had 10 seconds to pick. And then I slammed on the button because I had the available players filtered by WR and there he was.

I drafted Jeudy in the 4th.

I liked Sutton more than Jeudy and he was available. I liked a lot of guys more who were available.

Regerts.

I had the 10th pick and really loved my first 3 picks. (12 team non PPR) I was locked into taking Pitts in the 4th and he went the pick before me. I basically blacked out, because I don’t remember much other than the yahoo timer/buzzer screaming at me that I had 10 seconds to pick. And then I slammed on the button because I had the available players filtered by WR and there he was.

I liked Sutton more than Jeudy and he was available. I liked a lot of guys more who were available.

Regerts.
Oh man, that's the worst feeling! That's the exact reason I always try to have more people in the queue than there are picks before mine. So if I'm looking to draft a WR and there are three picks until I'm up, I'll make sure to have at least four in the queue. But even that's not foolproof; sometimes you throw a fourth guy in figuring it will never come down to him, and when it does, the clock is ticking down and you're suddenly asking yourself, "Do I really want to draft him?"

Regerts.
Oh man, that's the worst feeling! That's the exact reason I always try to have more people in the queue than there are picks before mine. So if I'm looking to draft a WR and there are three picks until I'm up, I'll make sure to have at least four in the queue. But even that's not foolproof; sometimes you throw a fourth guy in figuring it will never come down to him, and when it does, the clock is ticking down and you're suddenly asking yourself, "Do I really want to draft him?"
I had a queue! I always do just in case Internet craps out. I just didn’t use it.

The only thing making me feel better is some random guy telling me that’s how he accidentally drafted Kupp last year. So by comparison I’m under the assumption I’ve drafted THE WR1.

In a deep roster dynasty, I have very limited RBs, one of which is Antonio Gibson. Our rookie/FA 4 player draft took place the Monday after the NFL draft. So not a TON of time for us to analyze. An "expert" I have followed was SUPER high on David Bell. I took him at 2.06, instead of Brian Robinson, hoping BR would drop to the third. He didn't. Bell has been hurt and is obviously WAY down the depth chart on what this year will be a terrible passing offense.

Regerts.

I totallly stole the idea for this thread from @Hot Sauce Guy, who started a "Redraft Regrets Support Group" last year (and the "regerts" joke from @Leroy Hoard). I think HSG originally started it as a way for people to vent post-draft; basically an entire thread worth of

:ptts:

But as someone who generally drafts on the later side, I found it incredibly useful, both to hear about what others experienced in their live drafts and, once I started drafting, to process what happened in my early drafts in order to better prepare for my later ones.

I don't have my first draft until next Sunday, but I'm curious to hear about what people are seeing so far. What mistakes are you and others making? Have you waited too long and found yourself at the end of a run? Are you rethinking your decision to go zero/hero-RB?

I was waiting until one of these threads came to life, as I usually participate or at least follow them closely.
We all have draft regrets, or for the most part we do.
However, I've also had "regrets" that seemed frustrating shortly after drafts (or even during), yet they turned out to our favor too with players who far exceeded our expectations.
The best way would probably be to wait until late season then look back and see how things worked with those "regret players". (Which I occasionally do)
The real terrible things are software glitches, connection trouble and things like that. They can often lead to hurried decisions, and jumping in panic to get a player you might not have truly wanted. I've been there.

Appreciate the thread @ignatiusjreilly , I have multiple drafts next week, all different set up or differing formats.
I will definitely be in here participating Monday night after my first "biggest league" draft.

🙂

Tonight I regret taking a sleeper LB over Antoine Winfield - it went all the way down to 12, and came all the way back to 1 pick before me and *drat*. Had I gone Winfield -> LB, I would have had them both. That said, that was the round I nabbed Josh Palmer, so it worked out well.

Ragrets...I've had a few. :whistle:

I was locked into taking Pitts in the 4th and he went the pick before me. I basically blacked out, because I don’t remember much other than the yahoo timer/buzzer screaming at me that I had 10 seconds to pick. And then I slammed on the button because I had the available players filtered by WR and there he was.
I have been there and done that. Your mind can just go blank for a few picks even depending how close they are to each other.

In the draft I just finished, you would have had more time to recover! I drafted Pitts at the (gulp) 3.02 (second TE off the board with Kelce having gone at 1.09). I was prepared to take him at the 2.11 but S. Barkley was on the board and I figured odds were extremely high that Pitts would drop past the owner picking 2.12 and 3.01 but that there was no way that Barkley would.

Obviously you can never fully eliminate surprises/moments of panic, but that's why it's a good idea to do as many mock drafts/simulations as possible, and deliberately employ different strategies. What happens if you go RB-RB? What do you miss out on if you take an early TE? How do each of those strategies change if you're picking early in the first round vs. late? Hopefully that will make it less likely that a scenario will arise that surprises you and throws you off your game

I've also found it's a good idea to do mocks across different platforms. I love FantasyPros draft simulator because I can knock out a mock in a few minutes (and use their Undo function to try different "Sliding Doors" strategies), but I'm also always aware that the platform may have certain biases/idiosyncrasies that might lead me to believe that my favorite sleeper will still be available in the 10th when, in the real world, he's typically going in the 8th.

Dynasty rookie draft last week. I had the 1.5 and had been researching WRs for the pick. Assumed Hall, London, Walker, and one of the other WRs would go before my pick. Had it in my mind that I was going to take Pickens at that spot. Draft starts and goes absolutely not in the way anyone expected and as my turn comes up, London and Pickens were both available. I had been watching Pickens highlights and drooling before the draft, but now the consensus #1 rookie WR was unexpectedly there.

I felt I had to take London in that spot and did, but I didn't feel good about it which surprises me. I want to feel good about it.

Dynasty rookie draft last week. I had the 1.5 and had been researching WRs for the pick. Assumed Hall, London, Walker, and one of the other WRs would go before my pick. Had it in my mind that I was going to take Pickens at that spot. Draft starts and goes absolutely not in the way anyone expected and as my turn comes up, London and Pickens were both available. I had been watching Pickens highlights and drooling before the draft, but now the consensus #1 rookie WR was unexpectedly there.

I felt I had to take London in that spot and did, but I didn't feel good about it which surprises me. I want to feel good about it.
Same exact experience when I took N'Keal Harry at 1.05 when I could have selected AJ Brown or DK Metcalf. I hope it works out for you.

Same exact experience when I took N'Keal Harry at 1.05 when I could have selected AJ Brown or DK Metcalf. I hope it works out for you.
The good news is that, based on that track record, you're qualified to be a real-life NFL GM, since they all did the same thing.

The good news is that, based on that track record, you're qualified to be a real-life NFL GM, since they all did the same thing.
Give me the best salary cap guru and we'll rule the world.

EDIT: I was thinking about all my awesome picks in rookie drafts, not Harry.

Have had redrafts the last 2 nights.
Night 1 - online 10-teamer, 1.2 took CMC, followed by 2.9 Kelce (yay), followed it up with 3.2 Deebo, when CeeDee Lamb and Mike Evans were still there.
Night 2 - in person, 12-teamer, got greedy and took my K; lost out on Brian Robinson

I am sure he feels better.

In a deep roster dynasty, I have very limited RBs, one of which is Antonio Gibson. Our rookie/FA 4 player draft took place the Monday after the NFL draft. So not a TON of time for us to analyze. An "expert" I have followed was SUPER high on David Bell. I took him at 2.06, instead of Brian Robinson, hoping BR would drop to the third. He didn't. Bell has been hurt and is obviously WAY down the depth chart on what this year will be a terrible passing offense.

Regerts.
I still like Bell.

Obviously you can never fully eliminate surprises/moments of panic, but that's why it's a good idea to do as many mock drafts/simulations as possible, and deliberately employ different strategies. What happens if you go RB-RB? What do you miss out on if you take an early TE? How do each of those strategies change if you're picking early in the first round vs. late? Hopefully that will make it less likely that a scenario will arise that surprises you and throws you off your game

I've also found it's a good idea to do mocks across different platforms. I love FantasyPros draft simulator because I can knock out a mock in a few minutes (and use their Undo function to try different "Sliding Doors" strategies), but I'm also always aware that the platform may have certain biases/idiosyncrasies that might lead me to believe that my favorite sleeper will still be available in the 10th when, in the real world, he's typically going in the 8th.

awesome tool but also a little concerned about the logic behind it. What others do you like?

Picked 10th in a live draft format with friends.

8th round rolls around and I say to my buddy, "wow, there's a lot of good value at QB still left"... he proceeds to take Russell Wilson, start a run at QB and then 9th round 9th pick someone drafted their backup QB, Tom Brady. I ended up stuck double drafting Lance and Carr 10th/11th because Carr provides security and Lance upside... but, should have shut my mouth and drafted a QB earlier.

When I got the 12 spot in a 14 teamer, I planned on going with the hero RB approach and grabbed Swift early. But deviated from the plan when Dobbins was still on the board in the late 5th. Wished I had stuck to the plan and taken Bateman as I was happy with my later round RBs and would have been nice to have a strong WR 4 to bridge until Hopkins is back (3 WR and a flex).

All the planning for different draft positions and then deviate from the plan like a rookie

Absolutely lost my wits last night during a 12 team PPR redraft league. I mean I mocked and planned for the draft for a week, and ended up doing the EXACT opposite of what I had planned. And I had no alcohol or drugs in me. Started off fine, took Jefferson at 1.4, feel great about that. Then I took Andrews at 2.9. and Allen at 3.4. I NEVER take a QB or TE early. EVER. I took both. :wall: Ended up with Pierce as my #1 RB and Gibson as my #2 RB. :bag:

8th round rolls around and I say to my buddy, "wow, there's a lot of good value at QB still left"... he proceeds to take Russell Wilson, start a run at QB and then 9th round 9th pick someone drafted their backup QB, Tom Brady. I ended up stuck double drafting Lance and Carr 10th/11th because Carr provides security and Lance upside... but, should have shut my mouth and drafted a QB earlier.
I’m sort of a Lance doubter. But based off ADP and everyone’s love for him… this is probably not a regretful pick.

awesome tool but also a little concerned about the logic behind it. What others do you like?
Not totally sure how it works, but it seems like the logic is mostly based on ADP with some element of randomness thrown in. The only other simulator I've found is our favorite website's Draft Dominator. I like that you can import your actual league settings, from any platform (or at least from Yahoo). Don't love the interface as much and wish they had an Undo button. But like I said, it's important to try a bunch of different mocks/simulators so you don't get misled by any one site's biases.

In terms of mock draft platforms, I mostly use Yahoo and ESPN. Prefer the former, and not just because it helps me get a feel for the platform (and ADPs) I will be using in my actual draft

Is it possible to have pre-emptive regrets over a draft that hasn't happened yet?

I'm picking 13th in a 14-team, 3WR standard-scoring league tomorrow night. In all of my mocks/simulations, one of two things happens:

1. I go RB-RB and then hope I end up with, at best, the likes of McLaurin/A-Rob/Sutton as my WR1.
2. I go RB-WR and absolutely hate whichever RB2 I end up with. Either a guy with major questions who I don't like taking as early as I need to (Hall, Etienne, Dobbins) or a Dead Zone RB whose value seems to be mostly based on his volume (Montgomery, Mitchell, Edmonds) or a guy who's the RB2 on his own team (Hunt, Rhamondre).

I'll probably go Door #2, and probably still hate how my roster turns out

Is it possible to have pre-emptive regrets over a draft that hasn't happened yet?

I'm picking 13th in a 14-team, 3WR standard-scoring league tomorrow night. In all of my mocks/simulations, one of two things happens:

1. I go RB-RB and then hope I end up with, at best, the likes of McLaurin/A-Rob/Sutton as my WR1.
2. I go RB-WR and absolutely hate whichever RB2 I end up with. Either a guy with major questions who I don't like taking as early as I need to (Hall, Etienne, Dobbins) or a Dead Zone RB whose value seems to be mostly based on his volume (Montgomery, Mitchell, Edmonds) or a guy who's the RB2 on his own team (Hunt, Rhamondre).

How many points per TD pass? If it's 6, then if you select the 1st or one of the 1st QBs at 3.13 or 4.02, what you lose in RB#2, you gain in QB, assuming it's an Allen or Herbert. There's a big dropoff from them to the QBs available late in the 5th. In bigger leagues, it's even harder to be good at all positions.

How do pickups work in your league? If you have the #2 priority, based on picking 1.13, you may have a good chance to get the next Elijah Mitchell.

Last edited:
Whenever I go off late in drafts, (think 10+) I always consider going WR-WR and try and "beat the league" at WR. I feel like I can get a later round WR to give me strong WR3 production, after hammering RBs mid draft.
I don't go this route every time, but I LOVE my teams in standard start 3WR leagues, and that's my usual league scoring. (The flip is you have to get some RB2 types you are high on) I think Montgomery is a great candidate for this type of start, also placing Khalil Herbert on my bench.
In one particular league this year, I went WR-WR-QB (Herbert) and I felt like I was elite at 3 positions, then loading up on RB2 types.

Post your draft here or DM me with your results. This is almost exactly the scoring my leagues use, and its not too common. (Start 3 WRs) I like hearing how other members approach their drafts in this format.

🙂

Scared to death that Henry is my #1RB and Barkley is my #2. Took Henry at 1.9 (which is probably solid if not good value by his ADP) but starting to think I should have gone Mixon or Swift instead...

How many points per TD pass? If it's 6, then if you select the 1st or one of the 1st QBs at 3.13 or 4.02, what you lose in RB#2, you gain in QB, assuming it's an Allen or Herbert. There's a big dropoff from them to the QBs available late in the 5th. In bigger leagues, it's even harder to be good at all positions.

How do pickups work in your league? If you have the #2 priority, based on picking 1.13, you may have a good chance to get the next Elijah Mitchell.
4pt TDs. I've been toying with the idea that I might take a QB at the 3/4 turn, but Allen, Herbert and Mahomes are typically gone by that point, and IMO that's too early to take Lamar or Kyler, especially when I can wait to 5/6 and take the likes of Brady, Wilson, Stafford or Lance.

I think the initial waiver is based on draft order, then it's according to how recently you've used it. So yes, I should be in good position after Week 1, but that's assuming there is a Mitchell type. But overall, you're onto something in that it will probably be easier to find a RB2 on the wire than a WR1.

Whenever I go off late in drafts, (think 10+) I always consider going WR-WR and try and "beat the league" at WR. I feel like I can get a later round WR to give me strong WR3 production, after hammering RBs mid draft.
I don't go this route every time, but I LOVE my teams in standard start 3WR leagues, and that's my usual league scoring. (The flip is you have to get some RB2 types you are high on) I think Montgomery is a great candidate for this type of start, also placing Khalil Herbert on my bench.
In one particular league this year, I went WR-WR-QB (Herbert) and I felt like I was elite at 3 positions, then loading up on RB2 types.
Yeah, thinking about it, I think they key is that there are no RB2s I'm really in love with. I may just want to roll the dice on one of the rookies.

Of course, it will also depend on who's available when I pick at the turn. If a WR like Diggs or Adams is still there, it will be hard to pass them up. On the other hand, if there are no absolute stud WRs and I can get two of Kamara/Chubb/Jones/Saquon/Javonte, that would be really nice, too.

Post your draft here or DM me with your results. This is almost exactly the scoring my leagues use, and its not too common. (Start 3 WRs) I like hearing how other members approach their drafts in this format.
Will do. It's technically 2 WRs and a WR/TE flex, but that's kind of like saying a superflex isn't a 2QB league. Nice to have a little added flexibility if you need it, but generally you're starting 3 WRs.

Hoping I don't regret taking J. Chase at 1.8 in a 12 team PPR when other RBs (Henry, N. Harris, Kamara) still on the board. Don't love my RBs after A. Jones in the 2nd. If I had known in advance I'd have M. Pittman available to me in the 3rd probably would have selected an RB in round 1.

My best teams always are maxed out at RB (8 deep) vs. light at WR (4). That said, love my WR room -- J. Chase, M. Pittman, A. Robinson, B. Aiyuk.

🙂
Flipped the script myself even from the middle of the 1st and went Kupp-Adams-RB(AJones)-AJBrown to open some drafts with perhaps a slightly different shuffle of WRs but going WR-WR-RB-WR and then taking a RB any time I could find a little value after that...ended up being Mitchell and Chase Edmonds in my 2 and 3 slots at RB, Harris and Drake late, nothing super sexy but i feel I have an explosive weapon to unleash at WR, even found Kirk in Jax for the Flex later on and like his potential upside. I like having 3 Top 10-12 level WRs in the 1-2-3 holes and let others try and chase me.

We have some nice combos at RB that i will not be as strong a few weeks but they are rolling out WR2/WR3 types as their starting WRs and I think that's a mistake or naive to assume you can equal the production.

But I found going WR 3 of the first 4 picks made some of the best teams I drafted this year...well before the start of Week 1 we'll say.

regert not getting Treylon Burks in mid rounds of a keeper league
regert drafting K. Toney - but only cost me a late late pick. might drop him for nico collins.

Yeah, thinking about it, I think they key is that there are no RB2s I'm really in love with. I may just want to roll the dice on one of the rookies.

Of course, it will also depend on who's available when I pick at the turn. If a WR like Diggs or Adams is still there, it will be hard to pass them up. On the other hand, if there are no absolute stud WRs and I can get two of Kamara/Chubb/Jones/Saquon/Javonte, that would be really nice, too.

Will do. It's technically 2 WRs and a WR/TE flex, but that's kind of like saying a superflex isn't a 2QB league. Nice to have a little added flexibility if you need it, but generally you're starting 3 WRs.
Ended up going Diggs/Chubb/Sutton/Hall with my first four picks. I would say my biggest regret is that my backup RBs (Henderson/JRob) don't have a lot of upside. It's a weird league because you can only start two RBs, so you don't want to have too many on your roster. But if either of my starters go down I could be effed. And in a 14-teamer it's harder to play the WW.

Ended up going Diggs/Chubb/Sutton/Hall with my first four picks. I would say my biggest regret is that my backup RBs (Henderson/JRob) don't have a lot of upside. It's a weird league because you can only start two RBs, so you don't want to have too many on your roster. But if either of my starters go down I could be effed. And in a 14-teamer it's harder to play the WW.
You need to hope Hall IS a starter.

You need to hope Hall IS a starter.
Yeah, my biggest regret could end up being my decision to take him over Mitchell.

Don't love the interface as much and wish they had an Undo button

They do. You just select the player from the list of draftees by clicking on him and a window pops up. It gives you an option to "Reset" via a red button in the upper right corner.

And I'm in the same position with Breece Hall. He's my RB2 in a sixteen-team league, I took him over MItchell, and I sure as heck hope he wins the starting job by having a dynamic performance or two the next two weeks, or I'm sunk. I'll be depending on Raheem Mostert if not.

Don't love the interface as much and wish they had an Undo button

They do. You just select the player from the list of draftees by clicking on him and a window pops up. It gives you an option to "Reset" via a red button in the upper right corner.

And I'm in the same position with Breece Hall. He's my RB2 in a sixteen-team league, I took him over MItchell, and I sure as heck hope he wins the starting job by having a dynamic performance or two the next two weeks, or I'm sunk. I'll be depending on Raheem Mostert if not.
Yes, I realized that the day after I posted it, and then couldn't remember which thread it was where I had made that mistake. Apologies to FBGs, the Draft Dominator is great! I still recommend using both to keep yourself honest.

Fingers crossed on Hall. I realized that, outside of guys who were handed the starting job right out of camp (Zeke, Saquon, Najee), rookie RBs typically take a few weeks to get going. Though ironically enough, one exception to that rule is Mitchell, who ran all over the Lions in Week 1 last year.

I think Lance/Carr is a fine result. Carr is gonna throw for 5000 yards and 30+ TD’s. If Lance turns out to be the man you’ll be in great shape.

Absolutely lost my wits last night during a 12 team PPR redraft league. I mean I mocked and planned for the draft for a week, and ended up doing the EXACT opposite of what I had planned. And I had no alcohol or drugs in me. Started off fine, took Jefferson at 1.4, feel great about that. Then I took Andrews at 2.9. and Allen at 3.4. I NEVER take a QB or TE early. EVER. I took both. :wall: Ended up with Pierce as my #1 RB and Gibson as my #2 RB. :bag:
You have three monster point getters in Jefferson, Andrews and Allen. Those RB’s could work out. I have a feeling Gibson is gonna end up having a solid season after being a big faller recently.

In two separate drafts, I took a RB/WR stack from the same team: CMC/Moore in one, Taylor/Pittman in another. It's not the end of the world, but if it had occurred to me beforehand I would have probably used it as a tie-breaker and taken someone like Keenan Allen or AJ Brown.

In the draft I just completed tonight, I chose Thomas over Devonta Smith. I really wanted to get Smith on one of my teams, and I already had Thomas on a different one (and I generally prefer to diversify), but when it comes to bench guys, I simply couldn't bring myself to take someone who is almost certainly going to be his team's WR2 over one with Top 10 upside.

I guess it's more of a regret of the heart than one of the head.

I simply couldn't bring myself to take someone who is almost certainly going to be his team's WR2 over one with Top 10 upside.
Yep. Not only is Smith his team's WR2, we don't know if his QB will be good enough to support more than one fantasy-relevant WR. The press clippings on Hurts have been good, but we won't really know until the games count.

Regerts.
@Deamon I’m just chiming back in here because you consoled me in my Jeudy pick.

It bothered me so much I tried to figure out launching some preseason trades.

I ended up trading Jeudy and Kenneth Walker to the Penny owner for Allen Robinson.

I was a bit surprised he went for it. I believe I upgraded immensely at WR2 and have the monkey of my back of my regerts pick.

I like Ken Walker long term, but starting the season with a gimpy hernia and having the 32nd ranked rushing line can now be someone else’s problem.

Long story short. Now Jeudy truly will become the WR1 becuase I got rid of him.

Regerts.

I ended up trading Jeudy and Kenneth Walker to the Penny owner for Allen Robinson.

I was a bit surprised he went for it. I believe I upgraded immensely at WR2 and have the monkey of my back of my regerts pick.

I like Ken Walker long term, but starting the season with a gimpy hernia and having the 32nd ranked rushing line can now be someone else’s problem.

I like that trade. But yeah, if after all this Jeudy blows up you will have mega-regerts

I took Kittle at the beginning of the 6th round. I assumed Schultz and Hockenson would be off the board by my next pick 7.10. I was wrong. And now Kittle is nicked up. I am going to "regert" this pick all year long..............................................

Regerts.

I like that trade. But yeah, if after all this Jeudy blows up you will have mega-regerts
Regerts squared.

Waiting til Round 15 for my QB1 and selecting Fields. It's one thing to say you believe a guy will be a Top 12 QB in PPG.....it's another to stones to actually start him.

regret using a yellow highlighter in lowlight setting and missing that Dameon Pierce was available while drafting Pollard.
If you are in a PPR league I think you will not regret this. Obviously the Cowboys have a much better offense and they are thin at WR so I wouldn't be surprised if you see the TE & RBs receive a ton more targets. I don't know if you saw the news that they expect to use Pollard out of the slot as well which should make him more involved with the offense. In 1 league I went 0 RBs for the first time and ended up with both of these guys.

Waiting til Round 15 for my QB1 and selecting Fields. It's one thing to say you believe a guy will be a Top 12 QB in PPG.....it's another to stones to actually start him.
That is gutsy but could pay off if you selected great position players. I waited really late on QB in 1 league and ended up with Carr and Cousins - I seriously considered Fields but being a Bears fan really worry about their offensive talent at both the line and skill positions. I did draft him in a league where I drafted Wilson as my starter.

Users who are viewing this thread