What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft day "regerts", 2023 edition (1 Viewer)

ignatiusjreilly

Footballguy
It's time for one of my favorite threads. As a reminder, @Hot Sauce Guy came up with the idea a couple years ago, and I blatantly stole it paid tribute to him last year (the thread title also "pays tribute" to @Leroy Hoard's joke).

I think HSG may have initially intended it more as a way for people to vent post draft, but I actually found it super-useful as I evaluated my earlier drafts to prepare for my later ones. But feel free to answer it any way you want. Big-picture strategy ("Should never have started RB-RB", individual decisions ("Took Bijan over Barkley") calamitous mistakes ("Meant to draft Justin Jefferson but accidentally took Jamar") or whatever other factors may be giving you doubt ("Next year, no Jager shots before the draft!")

Whatcha got? Are people drafting already? My first one is next Monday, but I'll throw out a regret from previous years: You can go early on QB or TE, but not both. I'm not even talking about Kelce in the 1st and Josh Allen in the 2nd. A couple years ago I took Russ and Hockenson at the 5/6 turn, and very much lived to regret it

:wub:
I'm honored to be remembered for anything in this hellscape we call "life", so thank you for the kind words.

This one goes out to the IDP-ers:
- ALWAYS check your league site for position. I was using DD, and apparently this year glitched and didn't import the positions. I forgot to check, and MFL has Micah Parsons as a DE, where he's a stud. Unfortunately CBS has him as a LB, so I took my LB4 in the 8th round as my 2nd IDP pick.

Fortunately I made up for it with values later, but draft day ragerts - I has some. :sadbanana:

Last edited:
Ours is coming up Sunday but going back to last year:

-Don't drink tequila until round 13 or so. It doesn't give you the super clarity you think it does. Stick to beer early
-Don't gamble in the 1st round. DeAndre Swift? WTF was I thinking? :bored:
-Don't pass up your "must have guy" because you think he will slide another round. Yay, I got Dalton Schultz but missed out on Jalen Hurts

Those just off the top of my head

For whatever reason last year I fell in love with my dollar valuation of players in an auction league. Once players started going a few dollars over, I bailed. I got a couple of guys at value on the front end, but I sat on my hands for most of the draft. Left me with a fistful of money with only chumps to spend it on as the draft continued. Got a lot of "you were saving your money for Elijah Mitchell?" type comments. Had to work waivers and trade talks harder than usual to just barely squeak into the playoffs (thank you Tony Pollard).

I've been drafting for decades and can't remember ever falling into that trap.

I always wait too long on QBs in my redrafts. This year I'm pretty sure I'll be starting Jeff George with Scott Mitchell backing him up.
Do it. Can't work out any worse than when I drafted him in the first round (2QB league) back in '96.
Same here - dark day indeed

Not as devastating, but I drafted Barry Sanders with my last pick in 99 and carried his football corpse for almost a full season ("That retirement is a ruse, he'll be back - you wait and see")

Took Javonte Williams over Walker, Najee, and Stevenson in a PPR best ball dynasty start up draft. I've been second guessing myself ever since.

Having dental work done the morning of an evening draft. Not that I didn't draft well,but my first two picks were Mandy Ross and Draunte Cowbetter.
i once had a draft that started immediately as i awoke from anesthesia. the plan was to have my wife draft for me while i was in surgery. i took the reigns and drafted dez bryant in the backend of the first round in a 14 teamer. shoulda stuck with the plan

Had my first draft tonight. Regerts, I have a few ...

Thought about going QB in the 4th (Fields) but couldn't pull the trigger. So I decided I would take whoever was left in the 5th, which turned out to be Burrow and Lawrence. Even though I love TLaw's breakout potential this year, I took Burrow because he's more of a proven commodity. My hope was that Waller would still be there in the 6th, but he wasn't. You know who was? Lawrence. Which means I could have gone Waller-Lawrence instead of Burrow-punt the TE position (I did get Javonte in the round I would have taken Waller)

Having dental work done the morning of an evening draft. Not that I didn't draft well,but my first two picks were Mandy Ross and Draunte Cowbetter.
That reminds me of a story. One of my 1st years of playing fantasy football was 2003, there was a guy who knew a lot about football, but as soon as the draft started, he couldn't remember anybody's name. He proudly stood up to announce his 1st round pick of Martin Henderson, which after a couple minutes we came to the conclusion he meant Marvin Harrison. Other gems were Kevin Robinson (Koren Robinson), Tom Green (Trent Green), David Walken (Javon Walker), and trying to take Tiki Barber in like the 10th round when he was like a 2nd rounder.

To this day 20 years later, towards the end of the draft, someone will always ask if anyone has taken Tiki Barber yet.

As for my biggest regret so far this year, its not having more drafts in early August when I was getting Darren Waller and Calvin Ridley 3 rounds later then they are going now.

Drafted last night and not all that happy with my team. Made the cardinal sin of drafting both QB and TE early, and it shows quite vividly when you look at my RB and WR depth. Let's just say one of my starting flex spots isn't even in the NFL right now!

To this day 20 years later, towards the end of the draft, someone will always ask if anyone has taken Tiki Barber yet.
That is a rookie maneuver in screw ups. Try this one on for size.

In our league you get one freebie for trying to take a player that is already taken. You do it once and all good.....make another pick. You do it a second time you lose your pick. One year a guy started pounding the drinks early. Come around the 10th round he decided to take Jeff Blake (this is a SF league and QB's went early). The problem was Blake was already taken............by him. So he got his freebie mistake and took someone else. About three rounds later he decided he needed another QB and sure enough selected........Jeff Blake (for the third time - once when he got him, once when he used his freebie, and now this time). This resulted in him losing a pick. He really, really wanted Jeff Blake. He ended up losing a total of 3 players that year.

Good times. Of course he was never able to live that one down.

Way back in the day I invited a buddy to fill in because we lost a team and needed to replace it. This was in 1988 before FF was a well known commodity. We get into the draft and we are in the late rounds and my buddy decided to take a heisman trophy finalist. He decided to go with Gordie Lockbaum because he was a great two way player. We only bring that up every couple of years during the draft.....Moral of the story.......don't draft two way college players from Holy Cross.

In a 14 team auction, the overpays on round 1 snake picks were ridiculous, so I laid off.

They also overpaid like crazy for QBs, and it’s not super flex.

Now I’ve got more 2-6 round guys than anyone, and maybe the best balance…

I mean at least 8 of these rosters as a whole turned out truly vomitous.

Still… my Gino and Goff qb tandem is…

Concerning.

I threw Sam Howell onto the edge of my 5 man bench, which of course is making my QB situation even more absurd.

The draft may end up not being a regret…I’ll check back in week 3 or 4….

But part of me just wishes I’d overpaid for a round 1 stud.

For whatever reason last year I fell in love with my dollar valuation of players in an auction league. Once players started going a few dollars over, I bailed. I got a couple of guys at value on the front end, but I sat on my hands for most of the draft. Left me with a fistful of money with only chumps to spend it on as the draft continued. Got a lot of "you were saving your money for Elijah Mitchell?" type comments. Had to work waivers and trade talks harder than usual to just barely squeak into the playoffs (thank you Tony Pollard).

I've been drafting for decades and can't remember ever falling into that trap.

I had the same issue in my keeper auction last week. Kept bailing out on solid players when they got expensive and then had to overpay to get guys I "wanted" (i.e. settled for after better players were gone) later in the auction. Thankfully my keepers are good, so I should be fine, but it looks like I blew the opportunity to have one of the better teams in the league this season.

Never fall into the trap that doing mock drafts on a website is a good approximation of your league. Every league/draft is different. I have almost 20 years of data on my league and every year I go into it thinking this is how I see the draft playing out. Every year I'm amazed at how wrong I am.

Never fall into the trap that doing mock drafts on a website is a good approximation of your league. Every league/draft is different. I have almost 20 years of data on my league and every year I go into it thinking this is how I see the draft playing out. Every year I'm amazed at how wrong I am.
I try to mix it up as much as possible. Draft simulations on both Draft Dominator as well as FantasyPros. Mock drafts on both Yahoo and ESPN. You want to get as many curveballs thrown your way as possible so that you don't automatically assume that guy you're targeting will always be there in the 5th round. What happens if he's not? How do you pivot?

In a 14 team auction, the overpays on round 1 snake picks were ridiculous, so I laid off.

Concerning.

I threw Sam Howell onto the edge of my 5 man bench, which of course is making my QB situation even more absurd.

Getting Geno and Goff cheap should not be a big problem if you invested the dollars saved into upgrades at the other positions. Both of these players were top 10 QBs last year and play on teams with good OLs and who have improved their receivers and backs. Geno even runs a bit.

I’d rather bet on them than Dak in a McCarthy run offense, Watson returning to form in a Chubb focused run offense, Tua season/career ending concussion, Daniel Jones’ inaccuracy and lack of difference making WRs,

Concerning.

Getting Geno and Goff cheap should not be a big problem if you invested the dollars saved into upgrades at the other positions. Both of these players were top 10 QBs last year and play on teams with good OLs and who have improved their receivers and backs. Geno even runs a bit.

I’d rather bet on them than Dak in a McCarthy run offense, Watson returning to form in a Chubb focused run offense, Tua season/career ending concussion, Daniel Jones’ inaccuracy and lack of difference making WRs,
The other benefit to Geno/Goff is that if they stink, you'll have zero compunction dropping them. But if you get someone like Dak and he gives you middling production, you'll still feel the need to hold onto him because of the name brand. One of the low-key worst things that can happen to you in fantasy is if you're locked into the QB9. You're technically getting "QB1" production, but it's very unlikely to be league winning

Placeholder for anyone who drafted Taylor, especially if your league doesn’t have IR slots
I thought Taylor in the 2nd in a 10 team keep 3 league was a steal. Now not so sure
The missing four games part sucks, but I think what's probably worse is that today's events did nothing to resolve any of the long-term uncertainty. Is his injury much worse than we thought? Is this some kind of power play by the team? If he does come back in Week 5, will he be happy? Will the team want to use him? We still really don't know any of that

I am vacationing on an island in a pretty rural area and had to autodraft it this year. I have three TEs in a W/T flex league, two kickers and two DEFs. I can't even think about this mess until I get home...
It's way past time for Yahoo to update its autodraft algorithm (can't speak to other sites). At a minimum, there should be some kind of toggle where you tell it to wait until the final two rounds to draft DST/K, and also how many QBs/TEs you want to draft. But really, by now they could probably implement some kind of AI where you describe in plain language what your draft strategy is and the autodraft bot implements it ("Take LJax in the 4th if he's available; otherwise target Burrow/Fields/Herbert/TLaw" in the 5th")

I am vacationing on an island in a pretty rural area and had to autodraft it this year. I have three TEs in a W/T flex league, two kickers and two DEFs. I can't even think about this mess until I get home...
It's way past time for Yahoo to update its autodraft algorithm (can't speak to other sites). At a minimum, there should be some kind of toggle where you tell it to wait until the final two rounds to draft DST/K, and also how many QBs/TEs you want to draft. But really, by now they could probably implement some kind of AI where you describe in plain language what your draft strategy is and the autodraft bot implements it ("Take LJax in the 4th if he's available; otherwise target Burrow/Fields/Herbert/TLaw" in the 5th")
I put all but 4 kickers and 4 DEFs on "Do Not Draft" thinking someone else would take the other decent ones. I still got two of each.

This

I do some mocks every year, mostly out of boredom and my actual drafts never play out anywhere close to my mocks

Do other sites allow you to input your draft strategy?

Somewhere out there is a person who drafted this week and took Kupp/Taylor with their first two picks.

And all I have to say to that person is: It's not your fault.

[On second thought, it kind of is your fault. You knew going in that both of them were risky.]

Never agree to a draft date/time that’s got too quick a turnaround after work. Mine was set for 8pm last Sunday and I finished work at 6pm. Problem was it was an Asian Tour Golf event in St Andrews and it went to an almost world record breaking playoff of 10 holes. They just kept birdieing the 18th hole par 5 on repeat. I’m lucky my last camera position was 16F/W but instead of drafting from my hotel room with a laptop and my printed out rankings I had to draft off my phone with rankings printed out by the production office on site, on a moving coach with a pencil that kept breaking 😂

That reminds me of a story. One of my 1st years of playing fantasy football was 2003, there was a guy who knew a lot about football, but as soon as the draft started, he couldn't remember anybody's name. He proudly stood up to announce his 1st round pick of Martin Henderson, which after a couple minutes we came to the conclusion he meant Marvin Harrison. Other gems were Kevin Robinson (Koren Robinson), Tom Green (Trent Green), David Walken (Javon Walker), and trying to take Tiki Barber in like the 10th round when he was like a 2nd rounder.

As for my biggest regret so far this year, its not having more drafts in early August when I was getting Darren Waller and Calvin Ridley 3 rounds later then they are going now.
I had a similar one around that time from a guy who didn't pay much attention. He drafted Ricky Williams (the Colts knockoff version, not the real one) and proclaimed, "I was surprised he was still available." lol

I had a similar one around that time from a guy who didn't pay much attention. He drafted Ricky Williams (the Colts knockoff version, not the real one) and proclaimed, "I was surprised he was still available." lol
I seem to recall the year David Johnson was the consensus No. 1 pick, hearing a story about someone who accidentally drafted the Pittsburgh TE of the same name

I also remember sometime in the late '00s when Adrian Peterson was having a down season, and the Bears RB with the same name had a couple 100-yard games, and everyone started joking that they had drafted the wrong Adrian Peterson

Not sure any of these will be regrets but in one redraft league last week, I took AJ Brown over Pollard (already had Chubb, WR's were getting snapped up). Olave over Ridley & Pickens over London. Certainly possible that the latter two especially were incorrect.

The Olave move was partly due to having Ridley in another league but Olave in no leagues. I have no issue taking the same guys on multiple teams but in this case I wanted to spread it around.

Somewhere out there is a person who drafted this week and took Kupp/Taylor with their first two picks.

[On second thought, it kind of is your fault. You knew going in that both of them were risky.]
I kind of like it though. Double down on the risk. If it pays off, you have the RB1 and WR1 from 2021. If it blows up, well at least you will save time not having to pay much attention to that league.

I kind of like it though. Double down on the risk. If it pays off, you have the RB1 and WR1 from 2021. If it blows up, well at least you will save time not having to pay much attention to that league.
I agree that team is the instant frontrunner for the 2021 title

I agree that team is the instant frontrunner for the 2021 title
It looks bad now but a week ago there was a real chance Kupp is healthy and is pushing overall WR1 this year and JT goes to Miami and is pushing for overall RB1 again.

My draft day regert - got lulled into a rhythm doing mocks/draft sims and didn't prepare for all scenarios.

I always do my own rankings - look at site ADP, some experts I trust, various sources, move guys up and down I like/don't like, sprinkle magic dust on it and voila I have my own sheet. Probably what a lot of us do. And on that sheet I had Mark Andrews as a solid third rounder. And then I drew the 12th pick. So off I go mocking and simulating drafts, using various platforms to "mix it up". And never did Andrews ever fall to me at 3.12.

So of course in the real draft, there he is at 3.12, screaming "PICK ME" from my cheat sheet in bright red neon letters. So I pounced. And then immediately felt regerts and RB FOMO because I didn't take a RB from the Mixon/Gibbs/ETN/Dobbins tier like I had grown accustomed to.

Still like my team overall and managed to snag what should be enough at RB to combine with my TE advantage and WRs to be solid, but that pick kind of catapulted me into an impromptu zero RB strategy that I hadn't prepared for.

Never agree to a draft date/time that’s got too quick a turnaround after work. Mine was set for 8pm last Sunday and I finished work at 6pm. Problem was it was an Asian Tour Golf event in St Andrews and it went to an almost world record breaking playoff of 10 holes. They just kept birdieing the 18th hole par 5 on repeat. I’m lucky my last camera position was 16F/W but instead of drafting from my hotel room with a laptop and my printed out rankings I had to draft off my phone with rankings printed out by the production office on site, on a moving coach with a pencil that kept breaking 😂

Do you work at St. Andrews?

Users who are viewing this thread